TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looks Like Dumping TaylorMade Is Working for adidas

GolfSpy Barbajo

It appears dumping Taylormade was just what the doctor ordered for adidas. They're growing and taking a BIG chunk out of key competitors Nike and Under Armour in North America...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

From Bloomberg....

Even Adidas AG can stumble sometimes as it gains ground on sporting-goods market leader Nike Inc.

The German company's growth slowed faster than analysts expected in the third quarter, sending the shares to their steepest drop in 12 weeks. Sales of basketball and soccer gear fell after sponsorship contracts ended and the company stepped up plans to trim its store network in Russia after business declined there.

“Some market participants might be concerned by the slower top-line momentum,” Warburg Research analyst Joerg Philipp Frey said in a note. The shares traded as much as 3.8 percent lower in Frankfurt, the biggest intraday drop since August.

While overall revenue still advanced by 8.7 percent, that was less than half the pace of the second quarter. Operating profit rose by more than one-third to 795 million euros ($923 million), beating analyst expectations, as the company sold more expensive products. Revenue in North America grew by nearly one-fifth to 1.1 billion euros, an all-time high, while growth slowed in western Europe, still the company's biggest market.

“So far we have grown every quarter this year with 30 percent-plus in the U.S., and we are not seeing any slowdown,” Chief Executive Officer Kasper Rorsted said in an interview with Bloomberg TV. “We continue to see very, very strong demand for our products, and we continue to expect a very strong fourth quarter. It's clear we are gaining market share in the U.S.”

The sporting-goods industry this year has been a tale of divergence. Under Armour Inc. posted its first sales decline since it went public last month, while Puma SE, like Adidas, is benefiting from a trend toward more sportswear worn outside of gyms, prompting it to lift its profit forecast three times this year. Amazon.com Inc. is also moving into private-label sportswear, setting the stage for further upheaval in the U.S., where Adidas's Reebok brand is already struggling to turn a profit.

‘Big Enough'

“Overall the market is big enough also for an Amazon moving into this market,” Rorsted said in the interview. “We think that will not change the market fundamentally, but we are seeing the consumers going online.”

Revenue generated from electronic commerce advanced by more than one-third in the quarter, the company said. While sales of Adidas-brand products jumped 10 percent, those of Reebok declined, and Rorsted said it may take until next year for the brand to grow again.

“The rate of revenue and earnings growth is likely to moderate after two and a half years of super-cycle,” Piral Dadhania, an analyst at RBC Europe, wrote in a note. “We believe the quality of the margin and profit beat should be well-received by the market.”

Japan and Russia were the only regions where the company's revenue fell in the quarter. Rorsted stepped up efforts to stem that trend by closing about 200 stores in Russia, up from an earlier target of 150. He said he doesn't expect fundamentals in Russia to improve much before oil prices rise and sanctions are lifted. By contrast, the company plans to add about 2,000 stores in China by 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-09/adidas-outruns-nike-even-as-third-quarter-revenue-growth-slows?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I realize this is news in the Golf World so it belongs here but I have big problems with Adidas right now due to issues in another sport.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I realize this is news in the Golf World so it belongs here but I have big problems with Adidas right now due to issues in another sport.

Same here.....same issue.....will not be purchasing any adidas in the future.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That stuff is unavoidable. Been happening since the UNLV glory days when I lived in Vegas. They're getting them before HS, the entire AAU program is just a shopping ground for Nike, Adidas, etc. to find their next big endorsement.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Yes - that's the issue - I'm out on Adidas for that reason and yes yungkory you are most likely correct. But murder has been going on since Cain and Able - it wasn't right then and it isn't now.

Same with this.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the info- good thing they dumped TM- now I can buy the equipment without conflict of conscience.

FTR- I agree with Rev & Foz.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Getting back to the origins of the thread, dumping TaylorMade was a great move. Adidas is on fire right now and making Nike look like your father's sportswear.

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

... I would not want to be a golf equipment OEM today. Product cycles are killing retail stores as well as the OEM's themselves. $ year cycle was great but even a 2 year cycle is doable. An every year or twice a year cycle is insane. When I was interviewing an OEM at their plant, they had 4 years of product in their cue. Names, designs, everything and admittedly 2 of those years were just tweaks of the existing design. It wasn't until year 3 that they had a technical improvement that they were still working on. 

... One of the big culprits was the Golf Magazine ratings. Worldwide if they don't have a new product and it isn't rated in the top 2 categories, they lose a ton of business. They tried it one year and took a big financial hit. Crazy how they killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People can blame TM, but if they didn't do it, another OEM would have. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I'm all set with Addias...the basketball shoe issue, paying college kids to go to schools with their contract just soured me.  I value ethics in business.

Footjoy shoes and Under Armour shirts work just fine.

Jim, the retired GC Super

Lol if you're boycotting Adidas you need to pretty much boycott every single sporting goods company.

College athletics is a complete sham

So true -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived