Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dick's Sprting Goods and Golf Galaxy ruined my new 718 irons

BSquareGolf

Greetings Ya'll, 

I need assistance getting Dick's to stand behind their error.  They ruined my mixed set of Titleist 718 irons and 3 SM6 Vokey wedges.  

-My Wife and I live in Michigan full time.  We are in Clermont Florida temporarily while I attend classes at the Golf Academy of America, Orlando Campus.  I am 47, retired as a Major from the Army after 25 years of service.  I am going to school to become a Teaching Professional.  

-A large part of the course work is actually playing the game.  I need golf clubs on a daily basis to receive a grade. 

-I purchased a new set of irons, a Titleist 718 mixed set.  4-7 AP2. 8-P CB.  They were professionally fit in Michigan before starting class on October 23rd.  In addition to the irons, I purchased 3 Vokey SM6 wedges.  48, 54, 58.  All the shafts are upgraded True Temper shafts.  Total Cost is approximately $2000 dollars.

-I was scheduled to participate in a golf tournament on November 6, 2017.  The course, Venetian Bay, is in Port Orange, Florida.  On November 5, 2017, my wife and I left Clermont for the tournament.  I have been working on gapping my clubs.  On our way out of town, we stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods in Clermont, FL.  I stopped to have the licensed club fitter, Jim, adjust the lofts of all 10 clubs.  The most any club was to be adjusted was 2 degrees.  He adjusted them, we paid for them, and we continued on to the hotel in Port Orange.  

-After checking in, my wife and I went to a driving range.  I always warm up with my wedges.  I grabbed my 58 and discovered it looked more like a 4 iron.  I don't know how he did it.  But he managed to bend all of clubs in the range of about 10 degrees apiece.  I was devastated.  We went to Bob Evans for ice cream and to ponder my options.  I found a Dick's in Daytona about 7 miles from us.  We made it to the store just before closing.  I grabbed the 3 SM6 wedges and showed them to the club fitter Gary.  He couldn't even get them in his loft machine at first.  He was able to bend them back close to the point they resembled a wedge.  Gary couldn't figure out how Jim could have done it.  I asked him to look at all of them.  He couldn't because the store was closing.  The manager of the store apologized profusely. 

-I played in the tournament and shot a 102 with a bag full of 4 irons.  On Tuesday, I showed them to a Pro at school.  He told me they were completely ruined.  He sent me to the club repair lab to show them to J.D., J.D. is the school's club fitter.  He checked my 6 iron.  It was supposed to be 31 degrees.  It was 22 degrees.  He gathered the class that was about to start to illustrate what happens to a golf club when you bend them wrong.  He told me to go back to Dick's and ask them to replace them.  All of the clubs were ruined.  

-  I took the clubs back to Dick's.  I asked for a manager.  Zach and Ken were both some sort of intermediary managers.  They went to a back room to determine how to proceed.  The store manager and golf manager were not in at the time.  They couldn't get ahold of them.  They don't carry Titleist Clubs.  I told them I need golf clubs for school.  Ken did his best to get them back to stock measurement until a decision was made in the morning when the other 2 were back in the office.  Ken told me to snap one of the heads off and then Titleist would replace them.  He told me that I would receive a call by 10AM.  I called the store at about 4 on Wednesday because I hadn't heard from them.  I eventually talked to Jim the guy that ruined them.  He denied it, of course.  Zach, the assistant I talked to the day before, eventually called me back.  He finally reached the store manager.  The store manager is not going to replace them.  They said they would send them to Titleist to have them evaluated.  This is a problem.  I need clubs every day.  I had to purchase a set of Mizuno irons and wedges through the school.  They offer a school discount.  They don't have an account with Titleist.  I can't afford a set of Titleist irons from a retail store.  They should be in this week so I can turn in the Titleist clubs to Dicks.  

-  I expect to receive new Titleist 718 irons from Dicks and to be reimbursed for the irons I had to buy to participate in school. 

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated. 

Best, 

Brian Bonney  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks sorry bout your luck

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Very few golf reps at DSG know what they are doing. Around here anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

That is absurd. Is it even possible to bend the loft 10°? Do you have a receipt of your purchase (i.e. loft adjustment of 2° for the whole bag)? They have to have a record of the work done, and it's going to be their problem if it doesn't match with your clubs. If they refuse to pay, to court with it!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

That is absurd. Is it even possible to bend the loft 10°? Do you have a receipt of your purchase (i.e. loft adjustment of 2° for the whole bag)? They have to have a record of the work done, and it's going to be their problem if it doesn't match with your clubs. If they refuse to pay, to court with it!

I was thinking the same thing myself. How in the heck can you bend a club 10* and not break it? I have my own loft and lie machine and have been building clubs for years. I can not conceive it. In fact when it warms up in the morning I am going to take a junker club off the pile and try it for kicks and giggles. In fact I was just thinking a 8* bounce 56* loft wedge bent to 46* hell it would dig to China. In fact it would have around a -1 or -2 bounce. I think I have a junk Dunlop 56 in the shop and I gotta try that for kicks and giggles

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Dicks fired all of their pga professionals so I'm not sure why anyone, especially a serious golfer, would take their equipment to be worked on there.

That being said, you're best path to being reimbursed is to contact their corporate hotline

Of course I do not understand why he did not take them to his PGM school there. But then again that may be another can of worms. These PGM schools here teach them just enough to mess something up. I do not know how many sets I have had to straighten out here that have been adjusted at the PGM school

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I knew better.  It was on a Sunday, The guy was certified by Maltby.  Ugh!  

From experience (about 40 years worth) most guys certified by Maltby know a heck of a lot more than anyone teaching in ANY PGM school. I have a low opinion based on practical experience of any club repair classes taught by any PGM. 

G

I was thinking the same thing myself. How in the heck can you bend a club 10* and not break it? I have my own loft and lie machine and have been building clubs for years. I can not conceive it. In fact when it warms up in the morning I am going to take a junker club off the pile and try it for kicks and giggles. In fact I was just thinking a 8* bounce 56* loft wedge bent to 46* hell it would dig to China. In fact it would have around a -1 or -2 bounce. I think I have a junk Dunlop 56 in the shop and I gotta try that for kicks and giggles

I would like to see that done I've wondered what the max amount of bend some clubs can take. I have heard of a few degrees of bend but 10 is a lot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There's a lot going on here. I'm confused by the set makeup of AP2 long irons and CB short irons. You spent 2k on clubs to start golf school? You didn't have clubs before? Also you were professionally fit for clubs that needed loft/lie adjustments after the fact and you picked them up and paid for them without even a glance at the work? Don't even get me started on bending SM6 wedges that far or changing the loft of a 6 iron 9 degrees. it can't happen. The hosels will snap. And you would never get it back in a box. But the thing that I can't fathom, that is the most incomprehensible to me....is that you went to Bob Evans for ice cream.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I'm gonna need to see some pictures

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wouldn't the hosel be absolutely mangled from bending a wedge that far?

I hate to be that guy, but I think he went wrong in the first place by asking a big box to perform what I'd consider an "advanced" club adjustment. I can barely trust Dick's to put my grips on straight.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Ditto

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thank you for your service to our country - hope that a sensible resolution comes quickly, please post outcome.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 Driver 9* with TFC 419D

3 Wood: Ping G25

5 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha Ti (2005) 18*

Hybrid: Ping G25 20*

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-SW with True Temper XP95 S300

Wedge: Callaway X Tour Chrome PM 60*

Putter: Seemore Si Black 32"

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Thank you for your service to our country - hope that a sensible resolution comes quickly, please post outcome.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk[/quote

I'm going to echo this and leave it at that.

If you're a strong enough player to seriously contemplate a career as a teaching pro you should be able to pick up a set of irons anywhere that will allow you to do an adequate job at the school.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Guess what? Tried it with an old Dunlop 56*. Went only 2* at the time. Got it to 4 and it already looked like it could dig to China and maybe back. 3rd time is a charm tried for 6* and SNAP!! plus I bent the shaft some. Now it was a cast POS but I would not try it with any club period. I never ever move one whether it is cast or forged more than 2*. Not only do you take a chance of breaking one but it throws the leading edge and bounce off too.

G

Guess what? Tried it with an old Dunlop 56*. Went only 2* at the time. Got it to 4 and it already looked like it could dig to China and maybe back. 3rd time is a charm tried for 6* and SNAP!! plus I bent the shaft some. Now it was a cast POS but I would not try it with any club period. I never ever move one whether it is cast or forged more than 2*. Not only do you take a chance of breaking one but it throws the leading edge and bounce off too.

Stu so I take it that you don't believe it possible then?

I've had a few wedges bent a degree or two but I was told by the club makers doing the bending 2* is about max anything over that will probably snap.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I do not think a 10 degree bend is possible without breaking the shaft. I could be wrong but can't imagine how it's feasible.

I have to agree with you

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I suppose this could happen but as others have said,  hard to believe that the clubs could be bent that far without  at least one breaking and that someone could make that big of a mistake no matter how little they knew about club repair.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hmmm sounds suspicious especially from someone that has only 2 posts. I think that when things like this come up they should always be accompanied by photos. Not trying to defend Dicks or GG but just saying.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Hmmm sounds suspicious especially from someone that has only 2 posts. I think that when things like this come up they should always be accompanied by photos. Not trying to defend Dicks or GG but just saying.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I thought it suspicious when I saw only 2 posts too.

I thought it suspicious when I saw only 2 posts too.

I'm wondering why BSquareGolf hasn't posted anything else in this thread. After all, he was the one who started it...

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Stu so I take it that you don't believe it possible then?

I did not believe the 10* to begin with and like I said I have never bent one more that 2* on loft from manufacturers spec for the respective club. I have never bent one more than 3* from stated lie either

G

I do want to see the pictures of it and the cheapo Stu bent too

i would but my phone to the computer thing is messing up

G

I'm wondering why BSquareGolf hasn't posted anything else in this thread. After all, he was the one who started it...

I think honestly Gentlemen as they say on WRX we have been trolled :huh:

G

Archived