Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dick's Sprting Goods and Golf Galaxy ruined my new 718 irons

BSquareGolf

You are 100% correct on!! To be honest it would never occurred to me to even think to try that!!!  :lol:

... A friend of mine asked me to bend a wedge he picked up for $5 in a garage sale. It was an old  56* Cleveland, had been bent to 52* and looked like a VAS iron LOL. I told him I could bend it back but it might break and he was OK with that. It didn't, I got it back to 56* and it looked like a wedge again. That is the most I have ever seen a wedge bent and the most I have ever bent one. 10* was just not worth responding to. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't Vokey wedges cast? There is not a cast club on the planet that would go 10* without snapping. Heck the master fitter at Pete's Golf had a hell of a time going 2 flat on my TMBs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

... A friend of mine asked me to bend a wedge he picked up for $5 in a garage sale. It was an old  56* Cleveland, had been bent to 52* and looked like a VAS iron LOL. I told him I could bend it back but it might break and he was OK with that. It didn't, I got it back to 56* and it looked like a wedge again. That is the most I have ever seen a wedge bent and the most I have ever bent one. 10* was just not worth responding to. 

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D  :D  :D ---- VAS the horror of it-

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Hey folks we did well we played Mythbusters in a scientific thoughtful way. All of us contributed and thought it out. RIP to the old POS Dunlop wedge that gave his life to prove this myth---- BUSTED!!!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D  :D  :D ---- VAS the horror of it-

Hey, hey....be nice.  I played a VAS 1 iron in college that I hit very well.  

It was also the only iron in the bag with a head cover on it!

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Greetings Ya'll,

I need assistance getting Dick's to stand behind their error. They ruined my mixed set of Titleist 718 irons and 3 SM6 Vokey wedges.

-My Wife and I live in Michigan full time. We are in Clermont Florida temporarily while I attend classes at the Golf Academy of America, Orlando Campus. I am 47, retired as a Major from the Army after 25 years of service. I am going to school to become a Teaching Professional.

-A large part of the course work is actually playing the game. I need golf clubs on a daily basis to receive a grade.

-I purchased a new set of irons, a Titleist 718 mixed set. 4-7 AP2. 8-P CB. They were professionally fit in Michigan before starting class on October 23rd. In addition to the irons, I purchased 3 Vokey SM6 wedges. 48, 54, 58. All the shafts are upgraded True Temper shafts. Total Cost is approximately $2000 dollars.

-I was scheduled to participate in a golf tournament on November 6, 2017. The course, Venetian Bay, is in Port Orange, Florida. On November 5, 2017, my wife and I left Clermont for the tournament. I have been working on gapping my clubs. On our way out of town, we stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods in Clermont, FL. I stopped to have the licensed club fitter, Jim, adjust the lofts of all 10 clubs. The most any club was to be adjusted was 2 degrees. He adjusted them, we paid for them, and we continued on to the hotel in Port Orange.

-After checking in, my wife and I went to a driving range. I always warm up with my wedges. I grabbed my 58 and discovered it looked more like a 4 iron. I don't know how he did it. But he managed to bend all of clubs in the range of about 10 degrees apiece. I was devastated. We went to Bob Evans for ice cream and to ponder my options. I found a Dick's in Daytona about 7 miles from us. We made it to the store just before closing. I grabbed the 3 SM6 wedges and showed them to the club fitter Gary. He couldn't even get them in his loft machine at first. He was able to bend them back close to the point they resembled a wedge. Gary couldn't figure out how Jim could have done it. I asked him to look at all of them. He couldn't because the store was closing. The manager of the store apologized profusely.

-I played in the tournament and shot a 102 with a bag full of 4 irons. On Tuesday, I showed them to a Pro at school. He told me they were completely ruined. He sent me to the club repair lab to show them to J.D., J.D. is the school's club fitter. He checked my 6 iron. It was supposed to be 31 degrees. It was 22 degrees. He gathered the class that was about to start to illustrate what happens to a golf club when you bend them wrong. He told me to go back to Dick's and ask them to replace them. All of the clubs were ruined.

- I took the clubs back to Dick's. I asked for a manager. Zach and Ken were both some sort of intermediary managers. They went to a back room to determine how to proceed. The store manager and golf manager were not in at the time. They couldn't get ahold of them. They don't carry Titleist Clubs. I told them I need golf clubs for school. Ken did his best to get them back to stock measurement until a decision was made in the morning when the other 2 were back in the office. Ken told me to snap one of the heads off and then Titleist would replace them. He told me that I would receive a call by 10AM. I called the store at about 4 on Wednesday because I hadn't heard from them. I eventually talked to Jim the guy that ruined them. He denied it, of course. Zach, the assistant I talked to the day before, eventually called me back. He finally reached the store manager. The store manager is not going to replace them. They said they would send them to Titleist to have them evaluated. This is a problem. I need clubs every day. I had to purchase a set of Mizuno irons and wedges through the school. They offer a school discount. They don't have an account with Titleist. I can't afford a set of Titleist irons from a retail store. They should be in this week so I can turn in the Titleist clubs to Dicks.

- I expect to receive new Titleist 718 irons from Dicks and to be reimbursed for the irons I had to buy to participate in school.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Best,

Brian Bonney

terrible story Im not surprised - I trust nobody with my clubs I grip them myself Dicks is a retail store some guy who worked in baseball dept last week is now the golf expert - sux this happened to you - next time go to licensed club fitter you can talk to prior to any and all club adjustments- good luck

IF this story is true, I think it all comes down to the store. I've gone in for little things, grips, lie adjustments and the guy at our local store does a good job, he warned me he couldn't do more than 2* upright and even then, that could be a stretch. I had issues with my TM irons and they did tell me to go to DSG and the people there couldnt have handled it better! Big box retailers like GG/Dicks get a bad rap but there are some good ones out there. 

Its the old, bad experience I tell everyone, good experience I tell two people which travels faster. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

IF this story is true, I think it all comes down to the store. I've gone in for little things, grips, lie adjustments and the guy at our local store does a good job, he warned me he couldn't do more than 2* upright and even then, that could be a stretch. I had issues with my TM irons and they did tell me to go to DSG and the people there couldnt have handled it better! Big box retailers like GG/Dicks get a bad rap but there are some good ones out there.

Its the old, bad experience I tell everyone, good experience I tell two people which travels faster.

The original poster hasn't responded so I doubt the veracity of the original post.

FYI the GG people at the Cleveland (west side store) seem pretty competent.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The original poster hasn't responded so I doubt the veracity of the original post.

FYI the GG people at the Cleveland (west side store) seem pretty competent.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Adjustments are FOC with any custom Order and titleist use bullseye which is extremely accurate....

Why the adjustments were not perfect when they arrived is strange..

Also no club can be bent that far.....

As for a refund, I agree with calling there customer service hotline and speaking to the customer service manager...

You guys have been seriously trolled. He made That one post and is gone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Most of us figured that out......after a while

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

We all have been giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. We learned fast within a week got trolled again we called it out immediately.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Trolled or not, our members genuinely tried to help at first -- again, one of the things I really like our our membership!!!  You guys are the best!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Trolled or not, our members genuinely tried to help at first -- again, one of the things I really like our our membership!!! You guys are the best!

Agreed, we tried to be helpful. He is the a...e.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Said a guy making his first post. Trolling about trolling is so meta

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Said a guy making his first post. Trolling about trolling is so meta

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A famous American once said “You can't fix stupid “. I would hope they have more in their life.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Should have sent them to me ... I would have done them correctly! 

loft_machine.jpg

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• 3 weeks later...

My question is who orders custom fitted clubs and doesn't order them to the specs he needs. If you needed -2* of loft, why didn't you order them that way??? Titleist offers that, probably at no extra cost.

I don't think the OP has been back since the post so that should give you some sense....

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

My question is who orders custom fitted clubs and doesn't order them to the specs he needs. If you needed -2* of loft, why didn't you order them that way??? Titleist offers that, probably at no extra cost.

This guy was a Troll, FAKE NEWS!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived