Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Non-marked ground under repair

dscoduc

My ball landed just over the green up on the slope. When I walked up I noticed the ball was resting on a small circular dirt patch surrounded by thick grass. My playing partner said it should have been marked as ground under repair and that I should just move my ball. I agreed the dirt patch sucked but figured I should play it where it lies.

As expected I hit it thin down the slope and across the green.

What is the rules on this. What would you have done?

In every day play the course is not marked and scrutinized by the greens staff as say it would be in a stipulated round or a Tour event. IMHO a lot of it is left up to the individual on that. Actually in the rules of golf itself it gives you some common sense latitude for stuff like that. In any of the groups I play in all you would had to do was call another member of the group over and confer. Any of the groups I play in would have said 'move it no penalty no problem" 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I agree with STU. Your group can come to this conclusion.

When in doubt play 2 balls and have the head official or pro check the spot after the round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Public golf is what it is. As said above there is latitude. Especially given that your opponent agreed/gave permission that it should be GUR.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

We use common sense at my club and the normal guys I play with would have all said move it.  

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

My only concern is that your ball is over the green, on dirt, surrounded by thick grass.  How is that any different than being on dirt in the rough off the fairway?  I wouldn't hesitate to play it as it lied.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it would depend on how the dirt got there, did the golf course dig a hole then fill it in, in which case it would be GIR, or was it natural.

In our game on saturdays our course has a lot of water run off so we get a lot of dirt spots or bare ground in places, usually just of the fairway, or just out of the rough heading toward the trees, there's lots of rocks and tree roots, we have a general rule that we dont hurt ourselves or our clubs while making a swing, so if we find that we will hit the rock or tree roots we just move the ball, for bare dirt spots we decide as a group, we are pretty relaxed with these types of issues, we are there to have fun.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived