Middler

Iron Combo Sets - Any Regrets?

I've seen a lot of talk about combo sets, but I don't personally know anyone who has gone that route.

I am a 10-14 HI player and I am planning to buy irons this winter. I'm seriously thinking about (in no particular order) a Titleist AP3/AP2, Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal/Forged or Srixon Z565/Z765 combo set. Having more help with longer irons and more soft feel with shorter irons sounds very appealing to me.

Other than minding the distance/loft gap at the crossover, any issues? Anyone here have experience with a combo set?

• Like 2

Really enjoying my TM UDI/SLDR combo set with it's perfect 4* gapping!

- TM UDI #1 --- 16*

- TM UDI #3 --- 20*

- TM SLDR 5i - 24*

- TM SLDR 6i - 28*

- TM SLDR 7i - 32*

- TM SLDR 8i - 36*

Note #1 - All the above have KBS C-Taper Lite 110 shafts

Note #2 - I don't carry the 41* SLDR 9-iron since my Niblick PW is 42*. The Niiblick easily covers both the 9-iron and PW distances, and of course, it's a fantastic chipping club as well!

UDI.jpg  THE ULTIMATE DRIVING IRON

sldrIron1.jpeg LOVE THESE SLDR IRONS!

niblick.jpg     NIBLICK 42* (9-IRON + PW)

I've seen a lot of talk about combo sets, but I don't personally know anyone who has gone that route.

I am a 10-14 HI player and I am planning to buy irons this winter. I'm seriously thinking about (in no particular order) a Titleist AP3/AP2, Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal/Forged or Srixon Z565/Z765 combo set. Having more help with longer irons and more soft feel with shorter irons sounds very appealing to me.

Other than minding the distance/loft gap at the crossover, any issues? Anyone here have experience with a combo set?

... I have posted this before but when I combo'ed a set of Titleist irons when I was on staff with them, the VP of Engineering said "Am's should play the most forgiving long irons possible. In fact, other than the very best ball strikers, most players on tour should play the most forgiving long irons possible". I have pretty much continued to do that. We are seeing more and more Pro's put UDi's, Hi Fli's, U45/65's and Apex Utilities in their bag, even if they play MB's for the rest of their set. 

... I am currently playing some players irons with just a little forgiveness in the Cobra Forged Tours but play Taylor Made TP UDi 4 and 5 irons as my combo set. Distance is the same with a higher trajectory, much better out of light rough or iffy lies and equal performance off the tee or good lies and obviously more forgiving. 

• Like 6

I'm currently playing the JPX 900 Tours that I was chosen to test for the forums. I'm at about a 12 right now trending down. I thought I would totally be outclassed by a player's iron but it wasn't the case with these, probably because they have a small amount of cavity. All of that said, my next set is going to be a combo, likely Mizuno because I'm absolutely in love with the craftsmanship and the feeling. I'm decent with my 4 and 5 iron, but more help is always welcome, I'll probably go to 6i maybe even 7i in the more forgiving side.

I actually went to see my club fitter yesterday to work on my driver and hit the new MP-18 SC. What an iron. Talked to him about combo sets and he said you just tell them which lofts you'd like to go with if there's a disparity, and they bend the traditional ones stronger, or vice versa.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I'm considering a combo set with the new TaylorMade p series. I know for sure I want the 790 in a 2/3 iron. Just not sure about the 4 or 5 iron

We've had this conversation before. My combo crosses brands

60,56,52,48. SCORs

PW-7 iron Wilson C200

4,5,6 SLDRs hybrids

I should bend the 7 iron and 8 iron to close a 17 yards gap but I am very good at controlling the hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

We've had this conversation before. My combo crosses brands

60,56,52,48. SCORs

PW-7 iron Wilson C200

4,5,6 SLDRs hybrids

I should bend the 7 iron and 8 iron to close a 17 yards gap but I am very good at controlling the hybrids.

Tee heee heee  I thought a 48* itself was a pitching wedge---- OOPS Rev I am getting old school again. But then again my Cally PW is jacked for me at 46* which BTW is stock loft.  I know pipe down Old School  :D

• Like 3

Tee heee heee  I thought a 48* itself was a pitching wedge---- OOPS Rev I am getting old school again. But then again my Cally PW is jacked for me at 46* which BTW is stock loft.  I know pipe down Old School  :D

I'm in my mid-30's and I still bristle at my 45* PW. In fact, I was cheering right along with Nifty Niblick when he would go on one of his tirades rants lessons about loft jacking (is Nifty still around?). I guess I have just accepted it as the reality now. 

Did the gap wedge (or attack wedge as I have heard it called) come about because of the increasing loft gap between PW and SW? Just curious.

• Like 1

I'm in my mid-30's and I still bristle at my 45* PW. In fact, I was cheering right along with Nifty Niblick when he would go on one of his tirades rants lessons about loft jacking (is Nifty still around?). I guess I have just accepted it as the reality now. 

Did the gap wedge (or attack wedge as I have heard it called) come about because of the increasing loft gap between PW and SW? Just curious.

... Absolutely. When pw's were 48-50* they were todays GW. While I find it a little frustrating that OEM's started jacking lofts, at least most have gotten to a full club difference, so there is no need to learn new yardages. I played a 48* pw and 44* 9 iron and 40* 8 iron for many years and know those distances. If I had to deal with a 46* pw and a 42* 9 iron it would cause me to re-evaluate every shot. But my current irons are exactly the same as the irons I have always played, just a different designation on the sole. My gw is 48*, pw is 44* and my 9 iron is 40*. So I just transpose the distance "155 is a perfect 7 iron so 8 iron is perfect".  Basically turning lemons into lemonade. 

• Like 2

I think one of the only downsides is that it makes your irons harder to sell down the road. I personally wouldn't let this stop me though, play what makes you happy.

Not at all, best decision especially if you're using long irons off the tee.

As for resale, if it has chrome/ satin mix it does make it harder, but I wouldn't want that combo any way.

I think one of the only downsides is that it makes your irons harder to sell down the road. I personally wouldn't let this stop me though, play what makes you happy.

Not at all, best decision especially if you're using long irons off the tee.

As for resale, if it has chrome/ satin mix it does make it harder, but I wouldn't want that combo any way.

I don't trade often, so resale is a low priority for me. So making the right choice when I DO buy new clubs is a HIGH priority. Once I buy, I expect to stick with my decision no matter what.

I don't trade often, so resale is a low priority for me. So making the right choice when I DO buy new clubs is a HIGH priority. Once I buy, I expect to stick with my decision no matter what.

Jiro and FireintheHole hit the only real negative. Selling them down the road is tougher than a full set of the same.

But you addressed that by saying you'll keep them for years. So no down side to it at all.

As Chemclub said earlier, I had a combo of Srixon 565/765 and they were fantastic. Gave me help in the longer irons and a nice feel for the scoring irons

I currently have a 718 combo of AP1 and AP2 They may be better than the Srxion combo was, mainly to the AP1 end, they are much better feeling than the Srixon 565 and a bit more distance as well.

So many people are looking at an AP2 and AP3 Combo. But go back to @ChiSAG's comment from his fitter earlier In this thread. Go with the most forgiving long irons possible. That's what I did and it just made sense to me. I hit the AP1 mid and lomg irons better than the 3's.

So I put ego out of it and it worked out well so far.

... Absolutely. When pw's were 48-50* they were todays GW. While I find it a little frustrating that OEM's started jacking lofts, at least most have gotten to a full club difference, so there is no need to learn new yardages. I played a 48* pw and 44* 9 iron and 40* 8 iron for many years and know those distances. If I had to deal with a 46* pw and a 42* 9 iron it would cause me to re-evaluate every shot. But my current irons are exactly the same as the irons I have always played, just a different designation on the sole. My gw is 48*, pw is 44* and my 9 iron is 40*. So I just transpose the distance "155 a perfect 7 iron so 8 iron is perfect". Basically turning lemons into lemonade.

Me also and it's just not worth moaning about it.

But I knew as I was posting that someone would comment on the 48-PW combo. :)

• Like 1

Me also and it's just not worth moaning about it.

But I knew as I was posting that someone would comment on the 48-PW combo. :)

LOL and you more than likely knew it would be me--- expect any different? :D

you hit the nail right on the head, Tech in the longer clubs, feel in the short. From experience I'll say if you nail the little details like gapping, ball flight and such it'll be the best set of irons you've ever had. I definitely recommend taking a hands on approach on this though, go and hit each club you're thinking about and make sure they have the same shaft and grip. It helps in figuring out if you like how the ball flights between the different models trust me.

• Like 1

I was at dicks the other day, and hit a couple with the new i think it was p990 Taylor made. It had a short shaft in it and the flex was wrong, I hit a few balls with it, the head felt good although the weak shaft produced a weak right to left ball. They didn't have any of the P770 in Lefty so I hit a couple with the right handed 7 iron model, I hit 3 of them, all dead straight, and all 150 yards. It was really crazy. I really liked the feel of the P770, I can't wait until next summer timeframe when I start looking.

• Like 2

... I have posted this before but when I combo'ed a set of Titleist irons when I was on staff with them, the VP of Engineering said "Am's should play the most forgiving long irons possible. In fact, other than the very best ball strikers, most players on tour should play the most forgiving long irons possible". I have pretty much continued to do that. We are seeing more and more Pro's put UDi's, Hi Fli's, U45/65's and Apex Utilities in their bag, even if they play MB's for the rest of their set. 

... I am currently playing some players irons with just a little forgiveness in the Cobra Forged Tours but play Taylor Made TP UDi 4 and 5 irons as my combo set. Distance is the same with a higher trajectory, much better out of light rough or iffy lies and equal performance off the tee or good lies and obviously more forgiving. 

I thought about this comment today when I saw Andrew Putnam's bag. I was kinda shocked to see that he played Z795's throughout his whole bag. Just further solidifies my thinking that I shouldn't play anything more "players" than my JPX 900 Tours ever again, and my next set is definitely going to be a combo of something forgiving. Maybe not a GI or SGI, but definitely something with a cavity.

3Wq759e.jpg

Those look like 745s don't they? And I may be mistaken but that wedge on the far end sure looks like a blade 945. Very hard to tell from this angle but I've got a set of 945s and that looks like the back of those clubs. Wonder if he only plays the blade in the wedge and everything else is cavity

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1