Middler

Iron Combo Sets - Any Regrets?

I don't play what I consider a combo set at this time. My 4i is a TM Burner 2.0 (very easy to hit), my 5i - PW are my Wishon 771's CB, and my 52*, 56*, and 60* are Wishon PCF Micro Tour c blades. My irons are all traditionally gapped with my PW being 48*. I don't have my spec sheet handy for the other irons but I know the lofts are not jacked (except 4i) like most clubs are today.

Soon I'll send the KZG's I purchased (16 irons) last year to my fitter to have him perform his magic. At that time I'm probably going to bag the cavity backs in the 5i down to 7i and the MB's for the remaining irons.

• Like 2

I thought about this comment today when I saw Andrew Putnam's bag. I was kinda shocked to see that he played Z795's throughout his whole bag. Just further solidifies my thinking that I shouldn't play anything more "players" than my JPX 900 Tours ever again, and my next set is definitely going to be a combo of something forgiving. Maybe not a GI or SGI, but definitely something with a cavity.

... I think you just inadvertently used the wrong numbers and meant 565's. I have said this many times but absolutely believe everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. This means different things to different players. Tiger needs to control his ball flight on every single shot, working the ball both ways as well as his trajectory so effectively he needs MB's. But plenty of players at the highest level, especially the LPGA/Champions Tour whose games more resemble amateur gofers, play a full bag of forgiving irons. 

... This is where I think many make a mistake when choosing their irons. They judge them by their best results on the range as well as the course. When I am swinging really well, I can play Titleist 681's some of the most demanding MBs every made. But on my off days I want all the forgiveness I can get! After two back surgeries inn the 90's, I rarely practice other than practice rounds on the course where I can hit several shots and keep moving and walking making sure my back does not get too stressed. Most Am's do not put in the kind of practice needed to play their best golf for a myriad of reasons from having kids/work that take up most of their time to injuries to just enjoy playing once a week or less and do not practice. So I think the challenge is finding the most forgiving irons you can play on your best days and your worst days. For me that has always meant absolute control with my short irons and many GI irons produce too high of a trajectory and are harder for me to control than a players iron. I just picked up a set of TaylorMade P790's that will put forgiving short irons to the test and look forward to playing them in Orlando the next 3 weeks. 

... I will add that there are many reasons to play the irons you play other than shooting your lowest score. I have played with average golfers that enjoy the challenge of playing classic golf clubs and know they do not play their best with MB's but love the challenge. Others just love the look and feel and I have heard more than a handful say that one pure strike with a MB is why they will always play them. So everyone should play with whatever makes them happy but those looking to post their best scores should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play, and for most that means SGI or GI irons, especially in their mid/long irons.  

• Like 5

Oops, yeah 565s!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did forum testing last year for the Callaway Steelhead XR's. I absolutely love these clubs, especially in the longer irons. Very forgiving, easy to hit, great ball flight and distance.

However, I could see myself (as I play more and improve) wanting something with a bit more feel in the lower irons to control the ball more. As chisag said, sometimes GI irons can create a ball flight that is too high, which is not always ideal in a scoring clubs. I could see myself looking into some used clubs or even a less expensive set (Ben Hogan's maybe) to round out the short irons.

A mixed set is absolutely the way I would go for my next group of clubs, with a hybrid and fwy wood to fill in the gaps.

Not that it matters, but I didn't go with a combo set as I thought I would. I was going to get Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal long irons and JPX900 Forged mid and short irons - but I went all Forged. I agree with Chisag, but when push came to shove I preferred the forged feel over the slightly more forgiving, higher flying Hot Metals (I don't need more height). The really wide soles and the cast feel on the Hot Metals just didn't sit well with me, though of all the cast clubs I hit, the Hot Metals had the best feel. YMMV