TESTERS WANTED! ×

Has anyone purchased products because of the MGS Reviews?

Rickp

To buy golf clubs based on recommendations is committing golf suicide.  I don't care what anyone says, swing the clubs firsthand and get fitted.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Not clubs... yet. Nah, I take that back. When I got back into golf I found the clubs I ended up with on here, with amazing reviews. Golf balls though. MBP got me to step out of my Titleist obsession and find Srixon and Wilson balls. This place is full of a bunch of good stuff. You never know what you'll find.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Can't say that I have. But before I make my next one I'll read the blog reviews if there are any and search through the forum first.

Turns out I just did. Today I bought a Cobra Fly-Z+. It was the 3rd top pick Most Wanted Driver of 2015. I based my decision largely on MGS reports and reviews on the Blog and in the forum. I've seen the driver many times and also thought it looked great and setup nicely. We'll see.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I may have posted in here before about something else, can't recall. But recently I bought an MLA putter based on reviews here and the discount being offered.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

To buy golf clubs based on recommendations is committing golf suicide.  I don't care what anyone says, swing the clubs firsthand and get fitted.

I'd disagree to a certain point. I always prefer to try before buying, but sometimes it isn't possible for me. I took an educated gamble on Scor wedges based on reviews and comments on MGS. The price was worth the gamble, as from the review they sounded like they would suit my game.

Buying purely due to one person saying something is great is perhaps ill advised, but if there is a weight of positives from a range of reviewers it's more likely to work out, especially for lower cost items.

Most people on here who have purchased due to reviews on MGS have probably tried them before buying. I'm looking seriously at Mizuno JPX900 Tours, which I might not have considered if not for the review. I will definitely go through a full fitting if I do purchase.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am in a little different position than most people reading the testing results. Since I am part of the most wanted tester group I get to try and touch most anything that is tested in Yorktown at the testing headquarters. This enables me to see what works best for me and not the group as a whole since I can see my results on the launch monitor.

Time for some more evaluation for bag changes as testing for 2018 is officially under way. Looks like there will be some different stuff in the mix this year based on my wandering around the lab, peeking in boxes, and removing head covers. Wish I could post some pics but some of it is still under pre release embargo. Great way to geek out on new golf equipment!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am in a little different position than most people reading the testing results. Since I am part of the most wanted tester group I get to try and touch most anything that is tested in Yorktown at the testing headquarters.

So now my wheels are spinning......

During the live raffle, Sam said he's got about 80ish testers on his roster. Where are they? I hardly see anyone besides yourself post that say they're part of the group. I'd imagine some are Golf Spy staff but the majority would be average Joes.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

So now my wheels are spinning......

During the live raffle, Sam said he's got about 80ish testers on his roster. Where are they? I hardly see anyone besides yourself post that say they're part of the group. I'd imagine some are Golf Spy staff but the majority would be average Joes.

I have met a few of them during testing sessions and during the thank you party. I know that some are really into golf and equipment like myself and others are just people that come in to test that are members of local golf clubs. Perhaps they aren't into posting on golf forums in the end it isn't an answer that I know. Most are in the hampton roads area of Virginia. From a staff perspective I think Sam is the only on that participates in testing, but that may change this year since they hired a new person to help run the testing. The goal is to have everyone local so they can ensure the same testing protocols are followed and. It have to ship stuff all over the place.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not really, only my driver, driver shaft, putter, irons, bag, umbrella, wire brush, balls, shoes, GPS, pull cart and gloves.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Yep - Shotscope 2.0 (still in the evaluation mode, but so far I like it - and hope that it will help identify where I need to work & focus on that)

the K-Sigs - and got the note via MGS that they were on sale via the web for about 12 hours- managed to score 4 dozen!!!

and most recently I snagged (from a fellow MGS'er, no less) a great deal on an MLA putter...

Joining MGS may well be an expensive endeavor!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

To date, I have not purchased anything as a result of reviews on this site.   But that is only because since joining this site I have not purchased anything.   However, it is now somewhat official, next new year's eve I will not only be welcoming the coming year but my full retirement as well.  Accordingly, I will be preparing for my retirement golf which includes continued lessons and new equipment.   Rest assured that the reviews on this site will be a significant factor in that process.

I'd disagree to a certain point. I always prefer to try before buying, but sometimes it isn't possible for me. I took an educated gamble on Scor wedges based on reviews and comments on MGS. The price was worth the gamble, as from the review they sounded like they would suit my game.

Buying purely due to one person saying something is great is perhaps ill advised, but if there is a weight of positives from a range of reviewers it's more likely to work out, especially for lower cost items.

Most people on here who have purchased due to reviews on MGS have probably tried them before buying. I'm looking seriously at Mizuno JPX900 Tours, which I might not have considered if not for the review. I will definitely go through a full fitting if I do purchase.

Understood....

All that I am saying is that you could disservice your golf game based on a handful of positive reviews.  On the flipside, If you narrow down your selection of clubs, based on reviews, and not even consider “Brand-X”, your leaving potential strokes “on the table”.

MGS is the Swiss Army knife of golf forums with lots of information to digest, arming the golfer with the information and tools needed to make their next big purchase.  There is a lot of great equipment out there, and some not so great.  For ME, since I am the one paying for it, I have to see how it performs in MY hands, numbers wise and most important how it performs on the golf course.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Not really, only my driver, driver shaft, putter, irons, bag, umbrella, wire brush, balls, shoes, GPS, pull cart and gloves.

Ha! That's the same train of thought I had when thinking about this thread.

I was like only the F7 hybrid and Oncore Elixr balls. But then I also got Chrome Soft, Pure Pro grips, B330s, G30 Driver, MLA Tour Classic....... And now reading your post, I remembered I got the Frogger club brush.

Crap! Almost forgot the Sketchers Go Golf shoes.

Is that all? I think that's all. Oh yeah GP SNSR grip. Aaaaaaaand the Hudl app.

Now that's all....

For now

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I have purchased a lot of golf stuff based on MGS testing and forum reviews, even just member comments on equipment (unofficial reviews).  As probably most here did, I came to MGS looking for information of equipment.  I will likely buy more as I travel down this golf journey of my life.

If it was clubs that I bought, I did give them a trial before purchasing... well, except for my most recent set of irons.  I remember when MGoBlue100 and Barbajo went to Bridgestone and said that the Bridgestone JGR Hybrid irons were "stupid easy" to hit.  SOLD!  I couldn't find clubs to try anywhere, and Bridgestone discontinued their Testdrive program, so I had to purchase blind.  The deal was just to good to pass up, and I'm glad I jumped on it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

^ Similarly, I initially found MGS when searching for "man in the street" (ie. non-pro) reviews.

Both the staff and member "official" AND unofficial reviews and comments have been really helpful to this average recreational hacker .. as a starting point to build a short list of candidates to try (I do live close enough to a PGA Tour Superstore so I could try literally everything!).

And it's not only clubs and accessories - which includes my current push cart - I've also found useful info concerning, eg.....

* set makeup - like should I use a hybrid or a wood in this slot on my bag?

* Training aids - DST Compressor, Tour Tempo, others that I might not have ever heard of but now enjoy and benefit from.

* Training / Practice tips

* Course Strategy tips

* great online deals on stuff

* new virtual .. but maybe someday real .. golf buddies!

Edit:

And a TheraBand roller for the wrists / forearms / elbows - eg. "golfer's elbow". I knew of (and have some) TheraBand _bands_ but had not seen the roller - it helps!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I got a few of the Ksig when that fade hit

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I have not bought anything because of MyGolfSpy, but in my past life at Dick's I sold some people on stuff because of MGS. Always referred people to it if they were looking to get some good info and suggested some stuff they maybe didn't think about because of good word of mouth. I would also say that my club testing pool and other pools got wider and deeper because of MGS, but not to the point where I bought something purely from their reviews.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

MGS steered me to an MLA putter I never would have otherwise known about. Also trials for Snell and Oncore balls.

It's also made me look at Arccos 360 (I'm a data geek) and also helps create short lists for clubs to try.

I agree with another person here - I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to buy a club just because it's top rated. Get fitted for an iron shaft first, or find the driver/wood shaft that works best for your swing/game with each club you're trying.

And what drives me nuts is people that say they won't buy a club because of its looks or paint. Seriously??? Your game is so good that you'd pass on a club that might drop multiple strokes for you before you even try it because of how it looks?

In my current bag my driver was the Most Wanted a number of years back. Even though it wasn't a formal review I bought my fairway wood because so many guys here raved about Tour Exotics - they were right BTW - silly easy to hit and long - several shaft options their fairways should be on anyone's list to try. Likewise my hybrids while not reviewed came as recommendations from several forum guys as a good value on a used hybrid.

My wedges, putter and irons are all in my bag as the result of reviews that I was chosen for.

My entire bag is based on MGS reviews. I won't buy a club that has not been reviewed by MGS. I don't always pick the no. 1 in the most wanted.

My most recent purchase was the Wilson Tour FG V6. I wouldn't have even considered trying these clubs much less buy them if it wasn't for the review. BTW, I love them. I was an AP2 loyalist, 712, 714, and 716s, but I am very pleased with the switch.

My entire bag is based on MGS reviews. I won't buy a club that has not been reviewed by MGS. I don't always pick the no. 1 in the most wanted, but I will hit the top 5 and pick the one that I like best.

My most recent purchase was the Wilson Tour FG V6. I wouldn't have even considered trying these clubs much less buy them if it wasn't for the review. BTW, I love them. I was an AP2 loyalist, 712, 714, and 716s, but I am very pleased with the switch.

I did so today! I just bought the Sun Mountain Clubglider Tour for my travel bag because of the ranking here.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I did so today! I just bought the Sun Mountain Clubglider Tour for my travel bag because of the ranking here.

I've had mine for a couple years, so it was before I joined here. But it's been the best travel bag I be had and I've had clubglove as well.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've had mine for a couple years, so it was before I joined here. But it's been the best travel bag I be had and I've had clubglove as well.

Good to know! I almost got the Club Glove but Discount Dan's made it tough for me NOT to go the SM route!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX