Rickp

Has anyone purchased products because of the MGS Reviews?

Our Sponsors

Not really, only my driver, driver shaft, putter, irons, bag, umbrella, wire brush, balls, shoes, GPS, pull cart and gloves.

• Like 7

Yep - Shotscope 2.0 (still in the evaluation mode, but so far I like it - and hope that it will help identify where I need to work & focus on that)

the K-Sigs - and got the note via MGS that they were on sale via the web for about 12 hours- managed to score 4 dozen!!!

and most recently I snagged (from a fellow MGS'er, no less) a great deal on an MLA putter...

Joining MGS may well be an expensive endeavor!!!

• Like 4

To date, I have not purchased anything as a result of reviews on this site.   But that is only because since joining this site I have not purchased anything.   However, it is now somewhat official, next new year's eve I will not only be welcoming the coming year but my full retirement as well.  Accordingly, I will be preparing for my retirement golf which includes continued lessons and new equipment.   Rest assured that the reviews on this site will be a significant factor in that process.

• Like 4

I'd disagree to a certain point. I always prefer to try before buying, but sometimes it isn't possible for me. I took an educated gamble on Scor wedges based on reviews and comments on MGS. The price was worth the gamble, as from the review they sounded like they would suit my game.

Buying purely due to one person saying something is great is perhaps ill advised, but if there is a weight of positives from a range of reviewers it's more likely to work out, especially for lower cost items.

Most people on here who have purchased due to reviews on MGS have probably tried them before buying. I'm looking seriously at Mizuno JPX900 Tours, which I might not have considered if not for the review. I will definitely go through a full fitting if I do purchase.

Understood....

All that I am saying is that you could disservice your golf game based on a handful of positive reviews.  On the flipside, If you narrow down your selection of clubs, based on reviews, and not even consider “Brand-X”, your leaving potential strokes “on the table”.

MGS is the Swiss Army knife of golf forums with lots of information to digest, arming the golfer with the information and tools needed to make their next big purchase.  There is a lot of great equipment out there, and some not so great.  For ME, since I am the one paying for it, I have to see how it performs in MY hands, numbers wise and most important how it performs on the golf course.

• Like 3

Not really, only my driver, driver shaft, putter, irons, bag, umbrella, wire brush, balls, shoes, GPS, pull cart and gloves.

Ha! That's the same train of thought I had when thinking about this thread.

I was like only the F7 hybrid and Oncore Elixr balls. But then I also got Chrome Soft, Pure Pro grips, B330s, G30 Driver, MLA Tour Classic....... And now reading your post, I remembered I got the Frogger club brush.

Crap! Almost forgot the Sketchers Go Golf shoes.

Is that all? I think that's all. Oh yeah GP SNSR grip. Aaaaaaaand the Hudl app.

Now that's all....

For now

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

I have purchased a lot of golf stuff based on MGS testing and forum reviews, even just member comments on equipment (unofficial reviews).  As probably most here did, I came to MGS looking for information of equipment.  I will likely buy more as I travel down this golf journey of my life.

If it was clubs that I bought, I did give them a trial before purchasing... well, except for my most recent set of irons.  I remember when MGoBlue100 and Barbajo went to Bridgestone and said that the Bridgestone JGR Hybrid irons were "stupid easy" to hit.  SOLD!  I couldn't find clubs to try anywhere, and Bridgestone discontinued their Testdrive program, so I had to purchase blind.  The deal was just to good to pass up, and I'm glad I jumped on it.

• Like 2

^ Similarly, I initially found MGS when searching for "man in the street" (ie. non-pro) reviews.

Both the staff and member "official" AND unofficial reviews and comments have been really helpful to this average recreational hacker .. as a starting point to build a short list of candidates to try (I do live close enough to a PGA Tour Superstore so I could try literally everything!).

And it's not only clubs and accessories - which includes my current push cart - I've also found useful info concerning, eg.....

* set makeup - like should I use a hybrid or a wood in this slot on my bag?

* Training aids - DST Compressor, Tour Tempo, others that I might not have ever heard of but now enjoy and benefit from.

* Training / Practice tips

* Course Strategy tips

* great online deals on stuff

* new virtual .. but maybe someday real .. golf buddies!

Edit:

And a TheraBand roller for the wrists / forearms / elbows - eg. "golfer's elbow". I knew of (and have some) TheraBand _bands_ but had not seen the roller - it helps!

• Like 3

I got a few of the Ksig when that fade hit

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have not bought anything because of MyGolfSpy, but in my past life at Dick's I sold some people on stuff because of MGS. Always referred people to it if they were looking to get some good info and suggested some stuff they maybe didn't think about because of good word of mouth. I would also say that my club testing pool and other pools got wider and deeper because of MGS, but not to the point where I bought something purely from their reviews.

• Like 2

MGS steered me to an MLA putter I never would have otherwise known about. Also trials for Snell and Oncore balls.

It's also made me look at Arccos 360 (I'm a data geek) and also helps create short lists for clubs to try.

I agree with another person here - I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to buy a club just because it's top rated. Get fitted for an iron shaft first, or find the driver/wood shaft that works best for your swing/game with each club you're trying.

And what drives me nuts is people that say they won't buy a club because of its looks or paint. Seriously??? Your game is so good that you'd pass on a club that might drop multiple strokes for you before you even try it because of how it looks?

• Like 2

Haven't bought anything since joining MGS, but MLA and Evnroll are two putters I likely never would've heard of that will be looked at when I'm after a new putter

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In my current bag my driver was the Most Wanted a number of years back. Even though it wasn't a formal review I bought my fairway wood because so many guys here raved about Tour Exotics - they were right BTW - silly easy to hit and long - several shaft options their fairways should be on anyone's list to try. Likewise my hybrids while not reviewed came as recommendations from several forum guys as a good value on a used hybrid.

My wedges, putter and irons are all in my bag as the result of reviews that I was chosen for.

My entire bag is based on MGS reviews. I won't buy a club that has not been reviewed by MGS. I don't always pick the no. 1 in the most wanted.

My most recent purchase was the Wilson Tour FG V6. I wouldn't have even considered trying these clubs much less buy them if it wasn't for the review. BTW, I love them. I was an AP2 loyalist, 712, 714, and 716s, but I am very pleased with the switch.

• Like 5

My entire bag is based on MGS reviews. I won't buy a club that has not been reviewed by MGS. I don't always pick the no. 1 in the most wanted, but I will hit the top 5 and pick the one that I like best.

My most recent purchase was the Wilson Tour FG V6. I wouldn't have even considered trying these clubs much less buy them if it wasn't for the review. BTW, I love them. I was an AP2 loyalist, 712, 714, and 716s, but I am very pleased with the switch.

• Like 2

I took a hard look at the Evnroll because of the MGS forums and ultimately ended up picking up an ER2.

• Like 2

I did so today! I just bought the Sun Mountain Clubglider Tour for my travel bag because of the ranking here.

I've had mine for a couple years, so it was before I joined here. But it's been the best travel bag I be had and I've had clubglove as well.

• Like 2

I've had mine for a couple years, so it was before I joined here. But it's been the best travel bag I be had and I've had clubglove as well.

Good to know! I almost got the Club Glove but Discount Dan's made it tough for me NOT to go the SM route!

• Like 1