Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

First Look: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedges

GolfSpy Barbajo

Did you guys get to check out the blog on the new wedges from Bridgestone today?

Here's the link: https://mygolfspy.com/2018-bridgestone-tour-b-xw-1-wedges/

Couple of impressions --

I definitely prefer the black over the chrome - and so far the finish has held up perfectly. Not sure what they did to to it, but 8 rounds and some practice have shown no noticeable wear.

As mentioned the blog - it's a low tech wedge. The forged feeling is wonderful, but if you struggle with wedges there's nothing here that will change that - but then again, the same can be said for pretty much anyone's wedges (we'll see about the Cleveland CBX wedges in less than a month!)

KISB - or Keep It Simple Bridgestone: no bounce or grind options - what do you guys think about that? Seems like wedges are going all one way (crap tons of bounce, grind and sole options) or all the other (like Bridgestone). PING, as always, goes it's own way and is somewhere in the middle.  Do you like more options or fewer options?

And here are some pix that didn't make the cut....

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 7-1405.jpg

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 9-1407.jpg

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 13-1423.jpg

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 15-1439.jpg

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 21-1456.jpg

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 29-1487.jpg

Bridgestone Tour B Wedges - 30-1489.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I like the simplified approach by Bridgestone. The gear head cares about grinds/bounces, but the vast majority of those folks are interested in marquee names like Vokey or Edel.

The casual golfer doesn't care about that really. I think that might be where is targeted. Lower inventory for Bstone too. However, the price seems a little high for that market.

Definitely agree about the black finish.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I like the simplicity, and I think I like where Bridgestone is going, but, frankly, the TourB logo needs some color to make it stand out, especially on the chrome blade- perhaps black, and white or chrome on the black- it just looks like it got pulled off the line before they were finished.

And, thanks, John, for reminding me about the Hogan's being 95 each- I think it may be time to get a new set!  95 and free shipping, next time they offer!!!

I really like the V-sole technology that Hogan offers, and think it might be a good thing for these wedges, as well, but apparently not...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I commented in the Blog post, I have these in my office sitting in the wrappers staring at them.  I know eventually I'll lose them to the Pro Shop, but they are sure nice to look at.   I may break down and pick one up (not one of these, but on my own) just to try out.  the looks are very enticing to me. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Looks like I might have just found another contender to replace my worn out 56 and 52

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Read your blog post and was impressed but you know I am a wedge ho anyhow. I think simple is better as far as sole grinds for the average golfer. What shafts are they going to come with "stock"?

I know you do not hit the ball with the back of the club but I see where they are coming from with the weight distribution and I agree with that. The back at certain angles reminds me of certain T Mag irons from a few years back.

The only hold back I see is that they are not marketing them in the big box stores or demoing them there either.

I know when we had our shop we were a Bridgestone dealer. But their stuff while quality was priced higher and did not cater to our client base. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Looks like I might have just found another contender to replace my worn out 56 and 52

Judging from what you are hitting now and from what I gather from the article the bounces on those should fit you good. Just speculation on my part

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Judging from what you are hitting now and from what I gather from the article the bounces on those should fit you good. Just speculation on my part

You'd be correct. I did finally replace my 60 with a edel wedge that has high bounce. I've only used it a few times in playing but I like it so far. So I might go all edel or just get something like these.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Read your blog post and was impressed but you know I am a wedge ho anyhow. I think simple is better as far as sole grinds for the average golfer. What shafts are they going to come with "stock"?

I know you do not hit the ball with the back of the club but I see where they are coming from with the weight distribution and I agree with that. The back at certain angles reminds me of certain T Mag irons from a few years back.

The only hold back I see is that they are not marketing them in the big box stores or demoing them there either.

I know when we had our shop we were a Bridgestone dealer. But their stuff while quality was priced higher and did not cater to our client base. 

DG Spinner is the stock shaft - I'm kinda up and down with it. Had that shaft in some PING wedges and really didn't like it very much. I've had better luck with it in these.

And they will be in big box retailers - at least anyone who currently carries their stuff - PGA Superstore for one. The other Tour B stuff - irons and woods - are still only at selected fitters.  It'll all be available on Bridgestone's website.

Was a really big fan of the J15 wedges - loved the look, feel and performance - simplicity was great and could hit pretty much any shot with them - even the 60 yard low screamer from 40 yards out...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Like the look of them, but will not see them in any stores around me.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I've never played forged wedges, are they softer feeling than cast? I know feeling is subjective, but until I played these 900 Tours I had no idea how much I enjoy that feeling of "hitting nothing" when you pure it. The MD3 feel so hard and I generally have no idea where I hit the ball if there's no mark on the face, just wondering if that is because they're cast?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I've never played forged wedges, are they softer feeling than cast? I know feeling is subjective, but until I played these 900 Tours I had no idea how much I enjoy that feeling of "hitting nothing" when you pure it. The MD3 feel so hard and I generally have no idea where I hit the ball if there's no mark on the face, just wondering if that is because they're cast?

Forged has largely become a marketing buzz word rather than a mark of performance.

There is actually no difference between forged and cast steel. This is especially true on a wedge which takes a glancing blow at the ball. If you were given a 900 Tour that had been forged and one that had been cast - you could not tell the difference.

When cast clubs first came out they had a considerably different feel than forged because the type of steel that had to be used for casting was different. The lore of the forged iron started from there. Nowadays metallurgy has progressed to the point that they can cast and forge in the same steel. 

Tony Covey had a great paragraph on this in one of the main blog articles this year but I can't find it.

Forging is more expensive but consumers demand it. PING is smart to charge the same price for cast clubs.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I can't wait to try them out.  I'm all for keeping it simple.  At times, I think we all start to suffer from too many choices.  For the mass who don't really want to delve into the intricacies of the myriad of loft and bounces, I think this wedge will appeal to them.  I like the look of the wedges and always favor forged wedges (truth be told though, I have the original titleist SM wedges in my bag which were cast).  I had planned on replacing them with Cleveland RTX forged wedges or Mizuno forged wedges way back when, but circumstances at the time prevented me from doing so.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I liked the j15 wedges a lot! Super low bounce in the high numbers, felt soft and spun a lot! For a forged wedge at that price it was a no brainer. I wonder why the price jumped to $190 a piece. I know the design is modeled after last years tour stuff (which felt amazing), but I don't see the reason for the price hike. Any info to help out with that?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I liked the j15 wedges a lot! Super low bounce in the high numbers, felt soft and spun a lot! For a forged wedge at that price it was a no brainer. I wonder why the price jumped to $190 a piece. I know the design is modeled after last years tour stuff (which felt amazing), but I don't see the reason for the price hike. Any info to help out with that?

Not sure where the $190 came from -- price for the Tour B XW-1's is $139.99 each...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Love the look but not enough to unseat the Clevelands. Price point kinda spooked me and the stock shaft was a no go. I don't get a long with the spinner at all lol.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Not sure where the $190 came from -- price for the Tour B XW-1's is $139.99 each...

Sorry. I googled them and tourspec was selling them at $190 and $199 for the black.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived