TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing thoughts

revkev

It's been a while for this one. My teacher is a big one for visual images which I've packaged to help get my swing in order. It's pretty dog gone close to there right now.

My current swing thoughts are soft arms at set up (his), keeping my weight behind the ball as I go back (mine as it summarizes what we've been working on) and then rotating as fast left as I'm able with my hips (teacher's)

It sounds busy but it's not. It's three thoughts one of which is pressing. Left shoulder under the chin is the trigger for the rotation to start BTW. I try to pause at that time like a plane getting ready for take off.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A good reminder Kev, lately I haven't been thoughtful enough, or too much running through my head at setup.

Need to get back to similar thoughts to you.

1. Relaxed grip

2. Full turn

3. Through the ball

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It's very difficult to swing without thoughts but my goal is to keep my mind fixed on target and the visualization seconds before. I play quite poorly when my head is on the mechanics and not on the shot at hand, target wise. I worked so hard to be able to free up just a second or two before the start of the swing, it's not easy.

Swing thoughts works well for some people and it often bails them out of the sticky situations. Whatever helps you separate your conscious mind to the actual swing would produce good results in my experience.

It's very difficult to swing without thoughts but my goal is to keep my mind fixed on target and the visualization seconds before. I play quite poorly when my head is on the mechanics and not on the shot at hand, target wise. I worked so hard to be able to free up just a second or two before the start of the swing, it's not easy.

Swing thoughts works well for some people and it often bails them out of the sticky situations. Whatever helps you separate your conscious mind to the actual swing would produce good results in my experience.

Thank you for recognizing that we are all different. I would respectfully disagree with Al - I know for a fact that bad things happen when I don't have some sort of positive visual in my mind while I'm swinging. It always turns out bad, very bad because something creeps in that shouldn't.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Don't screw this up!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Thank you for recognizing that we are all different. I would respectfully disagree with Al - I know for a fact that bad things happen when I don't have some sort of positive visual in my mind while I'm swinging. It always turns out bad, very bad because something creeps in that shouldn't.

It even works for me. Correction, it's the only thing I got after the lesson. It usually takes months before I can go unconscious with a newly tweaked swing on the course.

I agree positive visuals are good for the swing.  The point of the article cited above is what type of visual is best--internal or external.  A positive internal thought will not help as much ( an may actually be detrimental) compared to a positive external thought.   

A good reminder Kev, lately I haven't been thoughtful enough, or too much running through my head at setup.

Need to get back to similar thoughts to you.

1. Relaxed grip

2. Full turn

3. Through the ball

I'd add one more 4. Finish facing the target. That's one of my issues and I know immediately after I hit a block shot ( that I didn't finish to the target)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Take the bucket back with out spilling the water and then throw it over my shoulder.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My head is such a train wreck when I think lesson golf.But my teacher is “trying” to make me have a feeling of freedom into the ball and beyond.He has me do a drive and hold of pulling a chain over and out top of my right shoulder low into the ball.Versus a pull down chain.Feels super over the top.But when he shows me the video it isn't at all.

Keep it in the short stuff

Worked pretty well today. Ball striking was solid, putting less so. Hit my irons best I have for a while

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I watched tape from my range session the other day and noticed my driver backswing was a little flat, so I'm trying to get my hands a little higher while maintaining a flat wrist. I've been looking at a bit of Rory swings and comparing my positions:

shallow.JPG

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I reserve "swing thoughts" for the pre-shot routine in an attempt to establish a feel that hopefully reflects my intended ball flight.

Once that feel is established and I cross the decision line, my _only_ thought is TARGET.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

As Rev said everyone is different and our minds work differently

As for me I do not have any mechanical swing thoughts because I am not a mechanical player. I am a feel and instinct player. My only thoughts is to trust it and get through the ball or as my old man used to say 'finish what you started"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I watched tape from my range session the other day and noticed my driver backswing was a little flat, so I'm trying to get my hands a little higher while maintaining a flat wrist. I've been looking at a bit of Rory swings and comparing my positions:

attachicon.gifshallow.JPG

Now I am not an instructor or swing guru never have been and never will be. IMHO you are a little laid off at the top as the gurus say. Now the shocker again IMHO that is no problem as long as you deliver the club through the hitting zone which is roughly between your right and left knees from either side of the ball. In other words if you get it on the proper plane and angle through there it does not make a hoot in the backswing

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Now I am not an instructor or swing guru never have been and never will be. IMHO you are a little laid off at the top as the gurus say. Now the shocker again IMHO that is no problem as long as you deliver the club through the hitting zone which is roughly between your right and left knees from either side of the ball. In other words if you get it on the proper plane and angle through there it does not make a hoot in the backswing

I've been fighting a block to the right lately, likely getting stuck inside. So, I'm thinking it's because I'm flat at the top, but I'm no instructor either.

I agree positive visuals are good for the swing. The point of the article cited above is what type of visual is best--internal or external. A positive internal thought will not help as much ( an may actually be detrimental) compared to a positive external thought.

I do agree that there are right and wrong ways to go about having a thought and that less is better.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My swing thought here would be - are you an instructor or are you reviewing with one?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I thought about this thread yesterday as I played yesterday.

There is certainly always a tension between guys who consider themselves mechanical players and guys who consider themselves feel players.

Actually I have no doubt we are all a blend of both. You aren't hitting good shots without repeatable mechanics that deliver the club square to the ball nor are you able to actively think through all of the moves that need to happen in a golf swing.

Right now if I'm not rehearsing preshot and rotating hard through my swing I'm not hitting a good shot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Unlike most other sports, golf requires you to employ many type of shots right off the bat. Off the tee, long fairway shots, medium fairway shots, short approach shots, around the green shots, putting from on and off the greens, then for most, the dreaded sand shots. All of that in 3 different trajectory.

Technically speaking they are all required different swing thoughts. My approach is to have a trigger, a strong memory associated to a particular shot that I did in the pass, I treat my trigger like a “flintlock rifle” where the firing doesn't happen instantly. I trip the trigger during my preshot then I go blank and hold on to the target til the shot's fired. Just like flintlock weapons, precision is a relative term. :)

I thought about this thread yesterday as I played yesterday.

There is certainly always a tension between guys who consider themselves mechanical players and guys who consider themselves feel players.

Actually I have no doubt we are all a blend of both. You aren't hitting good shots without repeatable mechanics that deliver the club square to the ball nor are you able to actively think through all of the moves that need to happen in a golf swing.

Right now if I'm not rehearsing preshot and rotating hard through my swing I'm not hitting a good shot.

Just speaking for myself I think my mechanics are in grained into my thoughts and feeling. The main thing my pre shot routine does for me is getting my muscles prepared to get through the ball

G

Personally, for me,  I find that golf should be an empty headed game.   When I start thinking, things ain't gonna be pretty.   People often discuss the importance of hand/eye coordination.  For me, its more of a matter of brain/body coordination.   If my brain sends too many signals to my body, my body gets totally confused, and most times, my body is just going to do what it wants to do any how, ignoring any instructions from the brain .  So most times, I find it best for my brain not to overload my body and just let it do what its going to do in hopes that the body is doing well that day.

Unlike most other sports, golf requires you to employ many type of shots right off the bat. Off the tee, long fairway shots, medium fairway shots, short approach shots, around the green shots, putting from on and off the greens, then for most, the dreaded sand shots. All of that in 3 different trajectory.

Technically speaking they are all required different swing thoughts. My approach is to have a trigger, a strong memory associated to a particular shot that I did in the pass, I treat my trigger like a “flintlock rifle” where the firing doesn't happen instantly. I trip the trigger during my preshot then I go blank and hold on to the target til the shot's fired. Just like flintlock weapons, precision is a relative term. :)

Yes this is why I'm having trouble throttling back right now. My issue when I went for lessons last Spring was a lack of rotation - we had to make some other adjustments because of other issues that had crept in. Those have been made but I still have focus on rotating through the ball or I won't - that makes three quarter and half shots very difficult.

I am starting to control my trajectory better again through ball position.

I admire those who can hit shots with little or no thought what so ever. When I'm playing really well I think I'm able to do that. It's been a long time though. I'm hitting the ball very well right now. Nearly all of the drivers that I hit on Saturday flew the same and the ones that didn't were playable. Likewise with my hybrids, fairway wood. I still have a problem with 7 iron consistency and I hit a couple of thin short irons that cost a few strokes.

Overall though if I could play more I'm hitting it well enough to get down to a 1 or 2 from the tees that I typically play.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Im sure your aware

roars shoulders steeper at too

Im sure your aware

roars shoulders steeper at too

Yeah I assume the only way to physically get my hands higher while maintaining a straight left arm is to raise my hands a bit, which will steepen my shoulders?

I've been playing with it on the range with pretty decent results

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah I assume the only way to physically get my hands higher while maintaining a straight left arm is to raise my hands a bit, which will steepen my shoulders?

I've been playing with it on the range with pretty decent results

I've got a couple thoughts just looking at the still photo. Feel free to totally disregard as some stranger's opinion on the internet!

Some of this is caused by camera angle but I see a couple of stark differences

Your foot line is well to the right where Rors is more parallel left. A closed stance can encourage the club to go too much behind you.

Also that's what it looks like to me. Not necessarily that your hands/arms are flat, but that they are way behind your head whereas Rory is above his right shoulder.

It also looks as if you are missing some needed width in the backswing. Again hard to tell for sure from camera angle but I'm guessing a face on view would show hands all the way behind you. If you look at Rory face on, when his hands are set at the top they are still well to the rear of his head. To put it another way, if you look at him face on and drew a vertical line from the right side of his head to the ground, his hands do not pass that line. So he is both high and wide. Conversely yours looks as if your hands would travel well beyond that line, leading to a sagging and somewhat collapsed position at the top. Again, camera angle is making it a bit hard to say but I would be striving more for the idea of wide than trying to keep the left arm straight at all

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I agree positive visuals are good for the swing. The point of the article cited above is what type of visual is best--internal or external. A positive internal thought will not help as much ( an may actually be detrimental) compared to a positive external thought.

I reserve "swing thoughts" for the pre-shot routine in an attempt to establish a feel that hopefully reflects my intended ball flight.

Once that feel is established and I cross the decision line, my _only_ thought is TARGET.

These are two great summaries.

We PLAY GOLF (external / on the target side of the decision line)

vs.

We PRACTICE GOLF SWING (internal / on the pre-shot side of the decision line)

It's just soooooo hard to cleanly and clearly separate the two......

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived