TESTERS WANTED! ×

Age, working out and muscle loss.

tony@CIC

Interesting observation: last winter I started working out to prep for golf in the spring. I worked on core muscles, flexibility as well as other specific muscle groups. I stopped when golf started - figured the 18 holes plus driving range daily was sufficient exercise. A week ago I got back into it and couldn't believe how much I lost. I could only do half the sit-ups, push-ups, etc. in retrospect at 70 I guess it shouldn't be a surprise but it was for me. FYI I also played better spring and summer than I did in the fall.

So back to the exercise routine with a commitment not to stop!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Muscles need to be worked out constantly or they will lose. I hurt my back due to strongman and powerlifting 2 years ago I'm less than half what I was strength wise then compared to now. If you continue to workout during the season it will help you won't need to go as much or heavy but just to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Best of luck with your program.  I need to do more than I do, but I've limited my "exercise" to flexibility.  I should probably do resistance training.  I think I'm too old (70) to get back into the serious strength training that I used to do many years ago.  Also, my wife has told me that we are going to pilates class as soon as my foot heals up.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The other thing I have never done is focus on stretching - so will have to figure out where to fit that into the program.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The other thing I have never done is focus on stretching - so will have to figure out where to fit that into the program.

Try yoga. I've started doing it and have really enjoyed it

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

At 58, I can relate to muscle loss. I've been a very active guy my whole life. I was involved in Martial Arts for 20 years. I was in fantastic shape. I played Tennis competitively. I ran 20 miles a week. I mtn. biked, I lifted weights three times a week. Now.... I'm divorced, I work insane hours a week, and I have no drive or desire to do what I used to do. It sucks. I hope to find the fire again some day.

If you look at my Avatar pic that is the old big fat Stu from about 10 years ago. Now I have lost close to 60 lbs since then. I changed my eating habits a lot and lost the weight. At 60 I do some stretching exercises and use some Yoga like Theo does but not the complete program. I do mess with the little hand weights some just stretching. I do not mess with the big stuff because if I really get on that I tend to bulk up and tighten up. It is really important for us older guys to stay flexible to prevent injury. The older you get the more important it is to stay flexible. One thing I can not stress enough on is proper warm up for us. I learned the hard way a few years back.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm as strong now in my 50's as in my early 20's.My hobby is lifting weights and staying in shape.Strength isn't an issue for us.Its the loss of speed and hand eye coordination.Once thoss are gone can't get them back.Solution : move up a few tee boxes

Keep it in the short stuff

I'm as strong now in my 50's as in my early 20's.My hobby is lifting weights and staying in shape.Strength isn't an issue for us.Its the loss of speed and hand eye coordination.Once thoss are gone can't get them back.Solution : move up a few tee boxes

Yea I'm hooked on my gym and have been for several years. I'm still fairly strong for my age however the balance, hand eye & coordination thing is out the window.  Sometimes I wonder if I should back off the weights a little more because my upper body is tight.  Especially around my chest, biceps and sides.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yea I'm hooked on my gym and have been for several years. I'm still fairly strong for my age however the balance, hand eye & coordination thing is out the window. Sometimes I wonder if I should back off the weights a little more because my upper body is tight. Especially around my chest, biceps and sides.

Same here.And pain is increasing as old man time comes a knocking.I guess we can always try those elastic bands?Many our taking advantage of it

Keep it in the short stuff

Same here.And pain is increasing as old man time comes a knocking.I guess we can always try those elastic bands?Many our taking advantage of it

Yea I'm thinking more flexibility exercises mixed in with my elliptical machine

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Trust me old buddy I turned 60 this past September. I marched my big butt up to the senior tees with no problem. Now I will admit I did not jump as fast from the back tees to the mid tees when I turned 50. In fact it was one of those resisting age things. A young pro that I had schooled and helped get this PAT test done for his PGAA class A card took me to the side and had a talk and I slowly moved up to the mid tees. I guess I have matured with time and have aged gracefully. But in my mind I still rock and roll and my wife will tell you I am a 16 year old Juvenile Delinquent in a 60 year old body

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

At 58, I can relate to muscle loss. I've been a very active guy my whole life. I was involved in Martial Arts for 20 years. I was in fantastic shape. I played Tennis competitively. I ran 20 miles a week. I mtn. biked, I lifted weights three times a week. Now.... I'm divorced, I work insane hours a week, and I have no drive or desire to do what I used to do. It sucks. I hope to find the fire again some day.

This is me exactly. Well except for the Martial Arts and the competitive tennis and the running and the Mountain biking, oh and the lifting weights.

But the 58 and no desire to do all those things, I've got that part down exactly

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yes! Light, regular exercise for conditioning and toning, and stretching .. regular stretching for back, hips, hamstrings, shoulders, etc etc. A little bit, almost every day, goes a long way.

Be "Golf Fit"!!

And, yeah - exercise bands and tubing are where it's at for us not mature and not graceful ;-) older guys.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Its true.  I turned 36 this year, and while i know that is an age that is "young" I can def feel differences than even 5 years ago.  So I have made it a point to keep in better shape so that fatigue doesn't set in especially when walking 18. 

I travel a lot and like to come up with different ideas for working out that doesn't include weights and I can do in my hotel room.  

Everyday I TRY to do the following:

I time myself to see how long it takes to finish these.  I don't do them all in a row, I break them up...30 pushups, then 50 situps, then, 50 squats, back to push ups.  etc.  See if I can break my previous time...

100 pushups

100 situps

100 squats (becomes a little easy so I have thought about adding reps or adding a kettle balls)

100 burpees - what I like about burpees is that they get your heart rate up and are probably the best form of exercise.  

I did do pullups but then i read about people having shoulder issues so stopped doing that...

Core specific (pretty much yoga renditions, timed not quanitity):

planking 1min intervals (i at least try!)

side planking same

straight leg lift crunches (lift feet with straight legs and try to touch your toes when legs are 90deg)

bicycle crunches

this has seemed to help me quite a bit at least with fatigue.  

I have also dabbled in wall handstand pushups but not there yet.  I do feel it puts additional stress on shoulders so not too aggressive with them.

Also yoga is amazing.  there are usually variations of strength/power yoga which is really what I have modified my regimen from.

Meh for what it is worth.   

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

It is unfair how quickly fitness is lost.  

During the off season for golf is when I try to make fitness gains.  Personally I try to do some sort of strength training between 3 and 4 days a week.  During the golf season it goes down to about 2 days a week with just a little less intensity.  I don't play well when I am sore from working out.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Archived