Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Club Champion

15 yards? That's impressive. Same shaft and loft?

Wasn't at CC, just put it here since I had discussed my fitting at CC and their results. This was sort of my own follow up validation testing. It was just the stock shaft in the M4 at the same loft as the g400. While impressive, I have a hard time believing. Waiting for MGS to get their testers in so I can compare to what I am seeing with the drivers on the launch monitor.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My other 'gripe' with club fitting is that they always seem to want to fit you into the latest/greatest....

What if I walked in and told my fitter - look, I want to be fit into some clubs but I want to buy something that's 2-4 years old and save some money.  Would they look at me like I had a 3rd eyeball and tell me to get out or would it be more along the lines of, well, we'll fit you into what we have (the newer models) and then we can give you a recommendation for an older model that would work well for you.  My hope is that would be possible but the 2 times I've been (not counting the putter) I haven't had much luck.

Sounds like you listened to Adam's podcast regarding the today vs tomorrow stuff.

I am completely geeked out about what Adam is doing with True Golf Fit. I may be projecting too much onto this, but I'm hoping that they will be able to truly map your "swing genome" by getting your numbers, then model that onto a huge database of clubs to determine performance.

So that way, they could tell you that based on your current baseline driver, you could gain 1.25 strokes per round by upgrading to brand new club X with shaft Y in Z configuration (which would cost you around $500). But you could also gain 1 stroke per round with a 3 year old driver and shaft for far less. And that leaves you with a decision - what is that last .25 strokes per round worth to you? A traditional fitter can't be expected to keep years worth of stock around to let you compare. I get that. But with modeling, it should be able to be done.

I'd pay an annual fee to subscribe to this.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I am completely geeked out about what Adam is doing with True Golf Fit. I may be projecting too much onto this, but I'm hoping that they will be able to truly map your "swing genome" by getting your numbers, then model that onto a huge database of clubs to determine performance.

So that way, they could tell you that based on your current baseline driver, you could gain 1.25 strokes per round by upgrading to brand new club X with shaft Y in Z configuration (which would cost you around $500). But you could also gain 1 stroke per round with a 3 year old driver and shaft for far less. And that leaves you with a decision - what is that last .25 strokes per round worth to you? A traditional fitter can't be expected to keep years worth of stock around to let you compare. I get that. But with modeling, it should be able to be done.

I'd pay an annual fee to subscribe to this.

Agree wholeheartedly!!

Excited to see where this goes.

Said it was a $ back guarantee on the pod.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Getting fit the 27th for a driver. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Getting fit the 27th for a driver. Can't wait!

Exciting! Any drivers you are leaning towards or are you going in blind? I was super happy with my recent driver fitting. Aftermarket shafts can make such a big difference.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Exciting! Any drivers you are leaning towards or are you going in blind? I was super happy with my recent driver fitting. Aftermarket shafts can make such a big difference.

I am going in with an open mind. Very interested to try the new Taylormade offerings. I currently have a Titleist 915 D2 that balloons on me so I know it's all in the shaft but it will be fun to see where we end up.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 3 weeks later...

So I went to club champion today for my driver fitting. I went in with an open mind and not looking to get any one brand. The store was set up very well and both fitters were very nice and fun to talk to. I was fit by a gentleman named Joey. He made it a no pressure situation and we had a lot of fun during the fitting.

After warming up I hit some balls with my driver. Needless to say you could tell it was February. So I hit a few more and got the numbers I was expecting.

IMG_7096.PNG

We then tried a few more shafts in my current driver head

IMG_7097.PNG

IMG_7098.PNG

IMG_7099.PNG

IMG_7100.PNG

From this we determined that the Accra Tour Z X465 M5 shaft was the best one for me.

IMG_7101.PNG

This gave us a good baseline to work from. Now after I hit my driver Joey asked where I wanted to go with the fitting. I told hit I wanted 14* of launch and around 2500 rpm. He laughed and said let's see what we can do.

I started with the M3. I did not like this driver at all and it felt very dead. Next was the Ping 400 max. 2 swings with it and it was not for me. Onto the M4. The first 5 I hit with this were great. The numbers I was looking for. Then onto the Rouge. I hit it well but missed left bad. And finally the F8. This brought the highest ball speed of the day at 169mph but was not consistent.

So back to my current set up. I hit a few more and saw exactly the same thing as the start. We switched back to the M4 and it was clearly the club for me.

IMG_7091.PNG

So I have on order the Taylormade M4 with the Accra Tour Z X465 M5 shaft. I am looking forward to this club. Swing speed was great as was my carry distance. I ended up getting over 8 yards of carry and almost 14 yards total.

IMG_7103.PNG

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Awesome. Did they talk about length if shaft at all?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Awesome. Did they talk about length if shaft at all?

No these are all stock length. Some changes based on the clubs stock offering. I believe I am at 45”. I was not really looking to change that as the numbers I got were right where I wanted to be.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Another note the numbers are very close. I have my numbers from the SKYTrack gps and my average drive in 2017 was 286 yards with my 915. Trackman has it at 294. But as I've stated in other threads my home course you get no roll. I feel this was a very accurate representation of what I do and recommend getting fit properly.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

interesting that your launch angle with your gamer was lower than anything with the M4.  What do you attribute that to?  

Also looks like you got a couple mph extra ball speed.  Do you think that is due to the driver head or the newer shaft?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Great fitting JA and thanks for the write up with the charts.  Cool stuff

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

interesting that your launch angle with your gamer was lower than anything with the M4. What do you attribute that to?

Also looks like you got a couple mph extra ball speed. Do you think that is due to the driver head or the newer shaft?

I really think it's all in the shaft and head combo. Nothing was really close to the M4 with the Accra shaft. I took about 120 swings. It was a very cool process to get to those numbers.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Great info, and those are some really good numbers! How did the M4 sound and feel compared to the G400?

Glad your fitting went well!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Great info, and those are some really good numbers! How did the M4 sound and feel compared to the G400?

Glad your fitting went well!

Considering I hit only 2 balls with the G400 I can't say. I know the M4 sounded muted from my Titleist but this is inside and it will be interesting to see if it sounds the same outside. The G400 was not for me. That said I'm sure if I was dead set on it that I could have gotten a shaft that worked with it. But as for sound I really did take notice on the G400.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Sounds like you tried

-Rogue

-M3

-M4

-G400

-F8+

Anything else?  I know you ended up with the M4 but was there a close second? 

Sounds like your gamer is/was a Titleist - did you try the new Titleist driver?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Sounds like you tried

-Rogue

-M3

-M4

-G400

-F8+

Anything else? I know you ended up with the M4 but was there a close second?

Sounds like your gamer is/was a Titleist - did you try the new Titleist driver?

I tried the following:

My Driver Titleist 915 D2

Titleist 917 D2

Ping G400

Ping G400 max

Cobra F8+

M3

Vertical Groove Driver

Epic

Rouge

And the M4.

Honestly my driver with the Accra shaft was close. The Rouge gave good numbers but the miss left was worse. The Cobra F8+ gave some great ball speed numbers (169.3 was the highest but the F8+ averaged 165). Overall I'm very happy with the process and feel I got what I needed.

A note though if I do not see what I saw on the trackman I can take it back and they will replace it with what is needed.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

How was the vertical groove driver?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

It might work for John Daly but it was not for me. I thought the look of it was very small and it just didn't do what the other drivers did.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I tested it as part of most wanted. It is an odd looking driver; the stripe on the top made it difficult to setup behind the ball and the appearance was kind of ugly. Performance of the club wasn't that bad for me. There were clubs that were better and clubs that were worse. Probably a middle of the pack club for me.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The results in this thread have been great! It pushed me to finally book a fitting for my driver, which I seem to be losing distance on. I'm not using Club Champion, but I am going in for a fitting this weekend with a similar company. I hope I can post comparable gains to what has already been posted, albeit at a much lower swing speed! You won't see any 110 SS out of me!

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

As an update to my previous post, I went through my fitting on Saturday. I'll try not to go into too much detail as it was not at Club Champion and I don't want to derail the thread... But I am very glad that I hit rock bottom with my driver at the same time that I discovered this thread, it really did push me to book the fitting..

I was very badly self-fitted for my driver (2016 Taylormade M2). I brought both the stock shaft (R Flex Fuji Pro 50) and the currently installed S Flex Kuro Kage Silver 60. Surprisingly, the stock Fuji Pro shaft measured at a stiffness of 6.4! That's right in the middle of S and X flex! How are TaylorMade's tolerances so loose?! My Kuro Kage measured in with a stiffness of 6.0 which is right where it should have been.

So anyways, after a warm-up, I got some baseline specs with my driver and the Kuro Kage shaft on Trackman. The numbers were very disappointing to say the least.. I mentioned I had hit rock bottom with the driver, and that translated to an average carry of 171.2 and a total distance of 187.5 with a paltry 1.27 Smash and 3800+ backspin (closer to my 4 iron specs than my driver should be!). 6 shafts and 4 heads later, I ended up with a pairing of my current driver head (2016 M2) with an Accra FX 260 shaft in a 5.5 flex. This combo upped my carry to 200.2 and total distance to 224.7, with a spin rate down at a more manageable 3000 and the smash climbing to 1.42 (Still gotta work on increasing that).

Overall, I am ecstatic with the results. Granted it was a very low baseline, but I increased my carry by 29 yards and my total distance by 37 yards. I know I still have a lot to work on (my SS has dropped over the last couple years, probably due to weight gain) and my Angle of Attack averages were very steep, averaging around -4 or -5 throughout the fitting, but it is getting me back on track where I know my distances should be. Hopefully my rounds will start becoming more enjoyable again with a lot less 200 yard approach shots!

And from now on, I am going to leave the fitting to the professionals...

@Kegger that's really awesome to hear how well you benefitted from a proper fitting. Sounds like money well spent.

For those interested, the head of Club Champion was on the Plugged-In podcast. I'm about half way through but am really enjoying it. They're spending some time talking about the fitting process (and importance) and how they do what they do better than the rest. It's a bit of marketing mixed in with entertainment but definitely worth the listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/plugged-in-golf-podcast/id1354024656?mt=2&i=1000404201745

Matt Saternus......Didn't he used to be an MGS guy?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

For those who have already had their fitting what ball did you use? Theirs or your own?

For those who have already had their fitting what ball did you use? Theirs or your own?

I used theirs; it was a prov1. I don't have a specific ball that I use and didn't think about using anything different. I actually didn't think about the ball until I did their survey and it asked if ball fitting was discussed

I used theirs; it was a prov1. I don't have a specific ball that I use and didn't think about using anything different. I actually didn't think about the ball until I did their survey and it asked if ball fitting was discussed

I didn't give that a thought when I went for my irons last year. I used their balls and I don't recall what they were. Definitely something I need to have next time, if there is s next time!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I was asked what ball I played and was given those to hit. I play Chrome Soft though, so it's a pretty common ball now. I don't know how many brands/models they had in their tool box...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They had a few choices at the club champion in Indy. I used the Pro V1. Brand new balls. If you wanted to use something they didn't have I bet they would let you. They did put the silver stickers on the ball to help the trackman pick up the spin.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I also got my M4 yesterday. I'll try and get some photos up in the next few days. Hopefully warm enough next weekend to go out and see it fly in person.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I also got my M4 yesterday. I'll try and get some photos up in the next few days. Hopefully warm enough next weekend to go out and see it fly in person.

Awesome! Looking at those in the store the other day I'm excited to hit it hopefully

Archived