Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club Champion

Update on my experiences with Club Champion.

Finally, I received the irons about a week ago. They were beautifully built and safely shipped. Taylormade P-790 heads with Aerotech i80 shafts 1/2" longer than standard. PW through 4. They are sweet hitting, especially the long irons. Just a little tweaking required now. Instead of taking them back to Sandy Springs, I took the P, 9, and 8 to a local guy, yesterday, who is really good and had the lie adjusted two degrees flatter. That move seemed to be spot on today as the flight went from a hard draw, the past week, to dead straight today. The longer irons may need a little flattening, the jury is still out on that, maybe one degree. I don't mind a little draw on the 4 through 7 irons. A bigger problem is the gaps, I haven't played them enough to confirm the first impression that there is a huge gap between the 8 and the 7.

Oh, and I stand by my opinion, get fitted at Club Champion, buy elsewhere. Besides the shipping fiasco, I changed my mind on grips and notified them the day after the fitting. They charged me a little bit for that change but the grips weren't changed. Matt did offer to change them for me or to send me some grips to change myself ( I do my own grips). I declined his offer to evaluate these grips and maybe try something totally different in the future.

Sounds like you are getting those irons in par shooting mode! . Happy for ya buddy. You need to come play with us at the UGA Golf course tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So received my irons this evening....so stoked.

Got Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with Steelfiber I95 stiff shafts.

One question...the serial numbers on the heads are not matching on two of the irons.

Is this inconsequential?

If it does matter....why?

I look forward to your responses.

Don

So received my irons this evening....so stoked.

Got Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with Steelfiber I95 stiff shafts.

One question...the serial numbers on the heads are not matching on two of the irons.

Is this inconsequential?

If it does matter....why?

I look forward to your responses.

Don

Hmmmmmmm that does not sound right to me.   I would make sure CC is aware of this. 

Cleveland

Hmmmmmmm that does not sound right to me. I would make sure CC is aware of this.

Already sent them an email this evening...waiting on their response. Just to add a couple more details....I decided to add a 4 iron to my set a few days after the order was placed. It's serial number matches all the other irons.

The two odd clubs are the 6 and 9...which match each other.

I might have a little OCD...cause I don't like it.

I can convince myself that something might be slightly different (from the foundry) between the two batches 🤪.

Didn't know if there was anything to that kinda thinking.

Thanks Ole Gray

Already sent them an email this evening...waiting on their response. Just to add a couple more details....I decided to add a 4 iron to my set a few days after the order was placed. It's serial number matches all the other irons.

The two odd clubs are the 6 and 9...which match each other.

I might have a little OCD...cause I don't like it.

I can convince myself that something might be slightly different (from the foundry) between the two batches .

Didn't know if there was anything to that kinda thinking.

Thanks Ole Gray

Yea your irons should definitely ALL have the same serial number.   If they can't find the other two then they need to send you a complete set with matching serial numbers. 

Cleveland

Yea your irons should definitely ALL have the same serial number. If they can't find the other two then they need to send you a complete set with matching serial numbers.

The reply I was sent from CC was, because they buy in bulk, they “weight sort” the heads to ensure consistency among the set. I guess I can buy that explanation but I was expecting all serial numbers to match.

The reply I was sent from CC was, because they buy in bulk, they “weight sort” the heads to ensure consistency among the set. I guess I can buy that explanation but I was expecting all serial numbers to match.

Just for kicks why don't you send the OEM an email and let them know about your clubs.  I would be interested to know what their take is. 

Cleveland

I've got to agree with OG on this. Serial numbers should be same throughout the iron set.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Just for kicks why don't you send the OEM an email and let them know about your clubs. I would be interested to know what their take is.

Ok... I sent Mizuno USA an email. I'll let you guys know what the response is.

Just to add, the Club Champion fitter said “we weight sort the heads to ensure consistency throughout the set of irons, you would more than likely find matching serial numbers on any set of irons purchased from a big box store but we take it a step further”.

I know they (CC) are selling “tour level fittings”...but that answer would indicate that tolerances are not as exacting from the OEM itself.

I'd like to know what you guys think about that?

Splitting hairs?

Ok... I sent Mizuno USA an email. I'll let you guys know what the response is.

Just to add, the Club Champion fitter said “we weight sort the heads to ensure consistency throughout the set of irons, you would more than likely find matching serial numbers on any set of irons purchased from a big box store but we take it a step further”.

I know they (CC) are selling “tour level fittings”...but that answer would indicate that tolerances are not as exacting from the OEM itself.

I'd like to know what you guys think about that?

Splitting hairs?

I was wondering if it had something to do with swing weight. Sounds legit to me. As long as you don't feel a difference, I think it's perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Sounds like you are getting those irons in par shooting mode! . Happy for ya buddy. You need to come play with us at the UGA Golf course tomorrow?

I'm getting dialed in with the irons now.  I changed the grips out, had the P delofted two degrees, the 8 and 9 by three degrees so the yardage gap is pretty well gone.  They are longer, straighter, and more forgiving than my previous irons.  They would have done all the loft and lie adjustments at Club Champion but that's just too far to drive when I have a buddy here who is really good at that stuff.   

Yep, we have to get together, the UGA course would be great, haven't played there in a long time.  

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I'm getting dialed in with the irons now.  I changed the grips out, had the P delofted two degrees, the 8 and 9 by three degrees so the yardage gap is pretty well gone.  They are longer, straighter, and more forgiving than my previous irons.  They would have done all the loft and lie adjustments at Club Champion but that's just too far to drive when I have a buddy here who is really good at that stuff.   

Yep, we have to get together, the UGA course would be great, haven't played there in a long time.  

Sounds good!    We'll get together asap when Dawg is cleared to play.  I think he is close to being ready to stick a peg in the ground.      

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided that I am gonna go do a fitting one day with these guys after watching all of these txg videos it makes me wonder, plus after hitting the shafts of the new wedges on full shots it makes me want to do a whole bag fitting to see if I'm playing the right shaft in my wedges and irons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have decided that I am gonna go do a fitting one day with these guys after watching all of these txg videos it makes me wonder, plus after hitting the shafts of the new wedges on full shots it makes me want to do a whole bag fitting to see if I'm playing the right shaft in my wedges and irons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's great. Will be curious to see the process and how you make out. I'm giving it some thought also but I'm not going to Orlando.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I had a full bag fitting at CC Sandy Springs a few months ago, and must say that I won't go with them again the next time I need a fitting. There wan't anything bad with the fitting, but I wasn't blown away either. I scheduled the fitting because I had never truly been fit for my clubs, and since they were running the 1/2 off pricing, I figured "why not?" My biggest disappointments were: 1.) Only 45.5" driver shafts to try. I really wanted to compare different length driver shafts to see if I could improve my strike pattern, and they didn't have any options. The fitter tried to tell me that I didn't need to try shorter shafts because I was getting more speed out of the longer shafts, and I had to point out that while that was true if I struck the ball well, my standard deviation was up with the longer shaft, too (my previous gamer was 45"). 2.) Wedge fitting is basically nonexistent there as you only have the simulator as the option. 3.) Putter fitting was basically an after thought. I loved getting to see my data on SAM, but after that, I was basically just told that I would be best with a putter that had more toe-flow. I never got to try out some options with SAM to see how they worked with my stroke. 

Again, there was nothing bad with the fitting, and I enjoyed getting to try out so many shaft/head combinations, but there is no way that I would have felt comfortable spending that much money on clubs without more precision in knowing I was getting what would be best for me.

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Archived