TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adams Golf

kardboard.kid

I looked through the forum and didn't find much on Adams Golf clubs.  I see them for sale, (Cheap) often, and I have played a Tight-Lies club before.  They were horrible.  Anyone have any thoughts?  

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Played an entire bag of Adams this past year, and with the exception of switching out wedges, plan to do so again this year. Undoubtedly, as with any manufacturer, Adams produced some duds, but especially at closeout prices you find them at these days, it's hard to match them for value.

For what it's worth, my bag was an XTD driver and fairway, the "red" and dHy hybrids, the XTD Tour irons, and the XTD forged wedges.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Like riley said above Adams did produce some duds but some good stuff too. The PNT or "peanut" hybrids were some of the best ever and have a big following. Some of their forged CB irons were jam up too. I am a big fan of the Super S fairway woods. In fact if you look at my signature you will see I carry a Super S 3 wood. I also have the 5 wood to it but it is not in the bag now because I hit my 19* hybrid better.

Some of their "turkeys" (hey keeping with the season LOL) were those Faldo series of cast wedges and the GT Tight Lies cast CBs

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Adams had many sleeper hits but also tended to fly under the radar.  CMB irons were one of my favorites along with several hybrids.  I still play 4 of the Super LS hybrids.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've had two sets and been please with both. Adams idea cc1 (chad Campbell) inspired irons and idea mb2 (7 plugs). Both sets gave me the control and shaping I desired. The feel was softer then some oem's product which drew me to them. The price helped too. As stated above there was some sleepers and some duds. They all cant be winners.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have an Adams hybrid and as much as I try to replace that club, it keeps coming back into the bag because whatever hybrid I'm trying to demo won't beat it for feel and ability to hit it straight. Even at several years old.

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I've seen more than one of the Speedline driver heads tumbling down the fairway. That was in my early playing days and it kind of soured my taste for Adams across the board.

2 years ago I gave them another shot with the pro mini hybrid thinking "Adams is a hybrid company, this must be good." Yeahhhhhh, I don't even need a whole hand to count the number of good shots I hit with that club....including range sessions.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Thanks to all the responses. They have inspired me to give Adams another try. Maybe I'll be adding some to the bag for next year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

Got 2 drivers: Superfast 12LS and Super LS

If it wasn't because I like new stuff, I would rotate them with my current Epic.

And their irons... CB1, CB2, CB3, CMB... you name it... sweet stuff!

And I also enjoyed their Yes! putters very much...

Now that I think of it... their old stuff was much better than the "newer" ones...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Adams was great until TMag bought them and killed them. Like any OEM they had their duds. The original tight lies was revolutionary and in many ways foreshadowed the hybrid trend - it also unmasked a truth that very few average players have understood - most golfers are better off with a 4 wood in their bag than a traditional 3,5 wood set up.

Brittany Lincicome still bags that original, boxy Idea Pro hybrid - it's at least ten years old. I had those hybrids and the irons to go with - beautiful clubs - my last set of player's irons. My kid still has the irons.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've said it before and I'll say it again- my 9064ls would still be in the bag if I hadn't cracked the face. Awesome driver- in fact when I get fitted this spring I'll test one alongside the new stuff and maybe save some money.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I'm looking forward to building out this Speedline 3502 TS prototype head made for Chad Campbell.

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I'm looking forward to building out this Speedline 3502 TS prototype head made for Chad Campbell.

attachicon.gifIMG_2689.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2692.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2691.JPG

I have heard that it is one "Hot Tamalie" head if you get it set up right. Looking at your signature I would say it may work well for you with the same shaft you have in your TM driver

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Adams was great until TMag bought them and killed them. Like any OEM they had their duds. The original tight lies was revolutionary and in many ways foreshadowed the hybrid trend - it also unmasked a truth that very few average players have understood - most golfers are better off with a 4 wood in their bag than a traditional 3,5 wood set up.

Brittany Lincicome still bags that original, boxy Idea Pro hybrid - it's at least ten years old. I had those hybrids and the irons to go with - beautiful clubs - my last set of player's irons. My kid still has the irons.

I may be wrong on this but I have always said TMag bought them for their Fairway wood and Hybrid technology. I do know Adams was having some financial problems at the time and Barney Adams was wanting to retire anyhow. I know for a fact that Super S 3 wood I am bagging is one pocket rocket and the 5 wood ain't bad either. I also have an older Adams GT 5 wood that is a pocket rocket too

G

I bought my buddy an Adams insight bty (or was it bul?) Ri three wood that is an absolute rocket- I almost kept it for myself after testing it out.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I have heard that it is one "Hot Tamalie" head if you get it set up right. Looking at your signature I would say it may work well for you with the same shaft you have in your TM driver

Several months ago RookieBlue7 both gave me a sick deal on it and was a pleasure to deal with. But I have been able to dig up _ZERO_ information on this head, so I'd be most grateful for anything you know. It's not listed on the USGA conforming list, which may fit with the "hot tamale" narrative. I think it looks fantastic at address, open maybe 1-2 degrees. Haven't measured displacement yet but I'd surmise it's around 430cc.

As you can see from the pics; there is a continuous V channel running around the crown and sole, all the way up through the hosel. That may indeed turn out to be the illegally delicious design feature. At this point, from the gamer perspective, I'm not sure what to do except ship it off to the USGA for testing and keep my fingers crossed. However, with the other option being an exotic buildout and sale to one of those unscrupulous types that "tees it up everywhere and uses the grease"; sending it off to the USGA means removing the plastic and subsequently some of the allure.

What would Stu do? (I think you should also start an entirely separate general Op-Ed thread with that title)

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

I play the newest Adams Tight Lies TI 3 wood and love it. Freaking rocket launcher when my swing is clicking and my back isn't hurting. Actually bought it super cheap after watching Rick Shiels review it. Pretty sure he had it in the bag for a bit.

When I first started playing, it was with an old set of Adams GT tight lies. Like you've already mentioned, they were terrible. Currently I game an Adams Speedline 3 wood and LOVE it.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Several months ago RookieBlue7 both gave me a sick deal on it and was a pleasure to deal with. But I have been able to dig up _ZERO_ information on this head, so I'd be most grateful for anything you know. It's not listed on the USGA conforming list, which may fit with the "hot tamale" narrative. I think it looks fantastic at address, open maybe 1-2 degrees. Haven't measured displacement yet but I'd surmise it's around 430cc.

As you can see from the pics; there is a continuous V channel running around the crown and sole, all the way up through the hosel. That may indeed turn out to be the illegally delicious design feature. At this point, from the gamer perspective, I'm not sure what to do except ship it off to the USGA for testing and keep my fingers crossed. However, with the other option being an exotic buildout and sale to one of those unscrupulous types that "tees it up everywhere and uses the grease"; sending it off to the USGA means removing the plastic and subsequently some of the allure.

What would Stu do? (I think you should also start an entirely separate general Op-Ed thread with that title)

I would contact the USGA on it-- Maybe Rookie can give you better insight on it he is pretty sharp on that stuff. Me I would build and try it. 

G

So only one yes in the irons, and a few yes on the woods. What about hybrids?

As far as the irons- I have hit the CMB, CB3's, mb2, and a few others. They were all really good to outstanding in their categories.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

So only one yes in the irons, and a few yes on the woods. What about hybrids?

Like Rev said, Adams is credited with originating the idea of the hybrid with the first Tight Lies. Now they seem to have a wide range of types of hybrids going from something like the Pro Mini to the Red to the Blue.

If you happen to be near a PGA Tour Super Store or similar, or a large range with a shop, there may be several mixed in in the Used Clubs section to try out.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I went on the Adams golf site to do some exploring, I didn't know they were owned by TaylorMade?

I just bought a lefty Adams Launch Lab driver off a guy from another site for $40. Deep face, my goodness. I'll take it to the launch monitor today along with the '16 TM M1 and Cobra F7+. Should be interesting to see the difference in 5 year old technology. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Hahaha holy smokes... Just got back from a session on a GC Quad...

Avg ball speed

'16 M1: 166

Cobra F7+: 167

Adams Custom Launch Lab: 165

Avg spin

M1: 2010

F7+: 1876

Adam's: 2287

Avg Carry

M1: 286

F7+: 294

Adams: 287

Longest drive

M1: 306

F7+: 323

Adams: 308

The M1 is out the door and the F7+ might need a different shaft (everything was left - I'm a lefty) but the Adams with a RIP Phenom 70x playing at 43.5" was a freaking stripe show. I registered side spin of 7 on one drive. 7rpm. 7. Adams was really on to something special and created some beasts. Go find them on the bay or another BST site. Go. Do it. I got mine for $40.

Amazing how Adams released the driver I tested in 2012.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Hahaha holy smokes... Just got back from a session on a GC Quad...

Adams Custom Launch Lab with a RIP Phenom 70x playing at 43.5" was a freaking stripe show. I registered side spin of 7 on one drive. 7rpm. 7. Adams was really on to something special and created some beasts. Go find them on the bay or another BST site. Go. Do it. I got mine for $40.

Amazing how Adams released the driver I tested in 2012.

That's roughly one lateral revolution for every 40 yards of carry; sooo awesome!

This post made me really happy. And also convinced me to build my 3502 TS head as a personal gamer. Sure hope it passes USGA testing.

• 5 weeks later...

Let us know what happens, DLK!

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Archived