TESTERS WANTED! ×

Yellow Golf Balls

Deadwalleye

My favorite golfball will be offered in yellow!!!

http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/balls/e6

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

I'll be surprised if a lot of balls aren't offered in some shade of yellow in the near future. Srixon has been successful with theirs and the Vision UV Yellows are GREAT. They are much easier to follow and find after being hit....whereever.... LOL!

*edit* BUT... a word of caution... my local course has 2 holes that flank the driving range that uses yellow practice balls. Umm... DONT use them on those kind of holes. Pull out a plain ol' white ball. LOL!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

It's funny though that Bridgestone are doing them as "Limited Release",,,there is still

some concern by the OEMs that the actual sales numbers will be good but not like the hot

run in the 80's.

This has a lot to do with the lack of a story that explains that the better visibility for

many players will increase their confidence leading to saved shots and lower scores, plus

the new cover style is so much better than the older solid colours or painted colours.

Boz. B)

Vision Golf Ball Concepts & Designs by The Atanak Co Australia (1980 - 2016)

It's funny though that Bridgestone are doing them as "Limited Release",,,there is still

some concern by the OEMs that the actual sales numbers will be good but not like the hot

run in the 80's.

This has a lot to do with the lack of a story that explains that the better visibility for

many players will increase their confidence leading to saved shots and lower scores, plus

the new cover style is so much better than the older solid colours or painted colours.

Boz. B)

See? This is why a yellow ball can sell. Unfortunately, golf is a copycat business (STR8-FIT, Nickent's Evolver, TM's r9, Titleist's new adaptor; sticking an "it" shaft into an innovation-less head to maintain pricepoint...). It's one thing when you have research and test conclusions that prove a point... another to do so "because everyone else is doing it".

• 2 weeks later...

They can now be ordered at Golfsmith

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/306904/Bridgestone/e6_Yellow

And the also have a nice price on the Rife Mr. Beasley putter.

I ordered one along with 2 dozen yellow E-6's

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/GR230/Guerin_Rife_Putters/Mr._Beasley_Putter_-_Black_Finish

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

I'm a fan of the yellow balls, the Vision UV's and Srixon Z-Stars are great. Although I like them as much because of the scarcity on the course, its really nice to walk up in the fairway and know which ball is yours from 150 yards away because yours is the only yellow ball! If everyone starts playing yellow balls that won't be as advantageous!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Hi Guys, I think the E6 colours are going to be Solid not partially transparent in line with their IQ180 Precept balls if so they will have misunderstood the appeal of the Zstar's advanced hitech transparent type look (like my UV's different colour though ;) )

Can someone let me know after they see one please? :D

Hi Sac, Orange is the hardest HiVis colour to get right,that is why I have held back to date as I want to try with a UV Orange (that glows) to get it light enough to see properly.

• SPY VIP

Hi Guys, I think the E6 colours are going to be Solid not partially transparent in line with their IQ180 Precept balls if so they will have misunderstood the appeal of the Zstar's advanced hitech transparent type look (like my UV's different colour though ;) )

Hi Sac, Orange is the hardest HiVis colour to get right,that is why I have held back to date as I want to try with a UV Orange (that glows) to get it light enough to see properly.

I am in for a box of the Vision UV orange when they are ready :D

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

May have to score some orange to match the clicgear :D

Pimpin' ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I will be all over the orange balls for a reason I am certain would only apply to less than 1% of those here.

I have found that Orange is the best color ball to use wen playing on courses that have snow on them. Plus they show up very well against a cloudy/grey skyline.

I will be all over the orange balls for a reason I am certain would only apply to less than 1% of those here.

I have found that Orange is the best color ball to use wen playing on courses that have snow on them. Plus they show up very well against a cloudy/grey skyline.

Interesting... I knew about the snow (brrr....) thing, but not the cloudy skyline. Pretty "cool" little tidbit! no, I can't resist a bad pun...

Yes Inda, the Orange is really useful in the Snow. My thoughts on doing a UV Orange are that

most of the Orange balls t date have been a dark almost dull look where as the Safety Vest

colour would more practical and I ahven't seen many balls this colour.

The other issue is you need a good amount of light to make them light up so what I was looking

at was my glowing cover stucture that actually sees the ball generating its own light source as

in the the UV Yellow balls.

Boz.

Hi Guys, I think the E6 colours are going to be Solid not partially transparent in line with their IQ180 Precept balls if so they will have misunderstood the appeal of the Zstar's advanced hitech transparent type look (like my UV's different colour though :) )

I have tried the Tourstage X01 G/B/R colored balls in orange and yellow. You are correct they don't have the transparent look to them. They also seem to scuff faster than the white ones which are the opposite for the Srixons. The yellow Srixons seem to be more durable. I think you brought that up over at wrx. Something to do with the Srixons not being painted on the outside?

HiXX, thanks for the info and yes I was trying to add to the story over there as I believe the right colours can be a great asset to some players confidence especially the more visible ones.

As you have seen your thoughts are in line with my understanding of the limitations to the Bridgestone approach to the coloured balls. As many of you might have seen over the last few seasons Bridgestone/Precept have had Paula Creamer playing a PINK Precept ball in her last round, this ball has been on sale and is a TPU solid hot pink colour.

The performance issues/question marks that many players have had with TPU covers in general over the past 10 years from Japan have been (1) clicky feel / stiffer less flexible material and (2) Shearing/lack of durability.

Both Bridgestone and Srixon have finally resolved both of these issues in recent times but they are not going to be quite like a ProV1 because it's RIM urethane cover is different and more rubber like.

Here is the big issue though that the ProV1 can't resolve it can't be anymore durable or brighter or coloured like a Zstar so we now have two pathways starting to emerge as to ball structure and style at the Premium level with a slight mid ground that you will see being the SOLID TPU look of say the Bridgestone which is not really an advance in style or function.

I believe the Asian market will continue to embrace the coloured ball story in growing numbers like we saw in the 80's, because the really high wedge spin is not as required by players in those markets as they have been brought up with mainly TPU Performance balls from Japan over the past 20 years with the US designs only now making a real impact on the better local players.

I feel more amateur golfers in Nth America/UK and Australia will drive the HiVis/Durable Performance ball market rather than the companies pushing ahead with more Tour players using them because Titleist / Callaway and Taylor-Made wont be able to make their current designs like the Zstar's and that is the look they need as a starting point.

Anyway just some thoughts,

Boz.

Great insight.

I think the Z Star look should be the way to go. IMHO the painted look of the Tourstages won't appeal to the better player. After a couple of holes they start to look worn. Z Stars still look great after 18.

Just to add I will say that I see more of the mid-level non-tour colored balls in play from Japanese members of the country club where I belong. The Tourstage V10 is quite common in the 3-4 colors that is available. I buy the "lake balls" versions for my 11 year old daughter. The tour caliber colored balls are still limited to about 3 other members whom I all know/play with regularly or the occasional tourist.

It is interesting to note for about 6-8 years the soft compression balls have still been going strong in Japan. There are now so many variations of these balls in terms of dimple size, color, even 3 piece-"distance" balls (I don't get that they just don't spin why bother with 3 piece-can you comment?) and a lot of them carry price tags that are at the same level of the 3 or 4 piece tour balls.

I guess the Japanese with the physique being smaller and less powerful put a premium on distance more than spin?

I have a few queries as well regarding urethane vs ionomer/whatever blend the 2nd level 3 piece balls use but I will try to sort out my thoughts better on those.

*Just to add last year I was able to try a couple of vizion xpert?? balls from the same guy who sells me the lake balls for my daughter. I only tried the two so I can't really give an in depth analysis but I will say it is a great product and I hope your company does well.

Hi XX, you're welcome, yes the V10's are very popular in Japan at present but I have been working more in parallel with what Kasco have been doing over the past 5 years as they are the ones to really kick start the Premium Tour type & Premium Distance type coloured ball segments with their Kira range of balls.

Good question in regards to multilayer's for non Tour type balls,marketing and price pointing is the easy answer in markets where the longterm marketing of many brands has suggested a multilayer is both more expensive to manufacture and more advanced in design terms.

There is something in these structures that gives us the ability to control driver spin levels and side spin , which is really helpful for the 70 to 105 MPH driver swingspeed group especially if you want to use a softer overall ball feel / softer faster core set-up which helps these players overall games. Where as higher core compression 2 piece long distance designs are not fully utilised by this group and as such play shorter and feel too hard.

There is a way to get these same type of results in a two piece in recent times and that requires the core to have a variable structure to it as if it was a dual core. Srixon have had their graduated core formulations for a while, harder on the surface / softer in the middle and there has also been other work done on the density of the core material that is used to make up a core to achieve a similar type of design control effect without having to use a mantle layer or 2nd cover as in a traditional 3 piece.

The one thing I have taken away from all these trials that we have been doing to test new concepts over the past few years is that the more actual components you use to build your balls with the harder it is to do so in a consistant manner.

I believe oneday that a Multi Density One piece ball will be the most reliable design for most players.

Nice to hear you have had a chance to see / play one of my Vision designs as it really is early days for me but I believe there is a place for my fresh approach & style in a market that is probably close to mature and satuarted with very simalar to one another products from all the OEM's.

Talk more later,

Boz.

Boz

I not that fast a swinger but put a premium on short game control more than anything when looking for a ball.

Can you not make a 2 piece ball feel softer by either make the core like a marshmallow or make it spin more by using a thinner cover? Does it have to be 3 piece?

On rainy days and playing from the tips I use the Burner LDP. It seems to give me a little extra on most clubs down the line yet my aggressive groove wedges grip the cover well enough to spin it on the touch shots. The cover will shear though when I'm trying to hit that short sided flop shop. For the price and the extra pop on wet-long days I don't mind the "replace before 9 holes"-cover.

Srixon makes great balls with that egg core of theirs but oddly enough I find their 3 piece mid level balls (TriSpeed and TS Tour) quite disappointing. I would rather their play the Soft feel (even the ADD 333) and play for the run out.

Forgive me for not knowing your entire product line but if you do make a colored urethane ball along the lines of the Bridgestone RXS (not RX) please let me know. I only swing in the mid 90s.

Hi XX, Good questions,,,firstly we have been working with the Pitch&Putt guys from Europe and Australia on a replacement for the old (Penfold) Commando which is an old time favorite with the P&P players because it was a soft/solid feel and with a real drop & stop nature. The older and softer they were the better but they were never any good with the driver,,,that is the 2 piece compromise softer / spinnier leads to shorter.

Burner LDP is a great choice and has a very lively core setup for driver distance and a good amount I believe of wedge spin especially if the greens are forgiving. The ionomer cover is soft but this is the short coming of these covers they shear up as they are not as flexible as a similar softness urethane cover and as such you will tear strips off them rather than gripping the ball to the grooves. The slow motion shots will show the ball moving partially up the face with the Burner and will launch at a higher initial angle than a similar urethane covered ball.

Srixon are in a hard place with the Trispeed because if they do it right it will canabalise their Zstar sales because the normal Zstar as it is currently presented is a low compression (in Premium terms) type ball so I believe they have not pushed to hard just like Titleist with the NXT Tour no reason to make the second tier too good as it will hurt their Premium ball sales.

I am only in the 2nd half of my Tour Vision project at present that will see the introduction of a Premium FlexiGel TPU cover material in either a 3 or 4 piece structure depending on where I will sell it first, which will be aimed at the RX/RXS - Zstar type balls.

I am not looking to max out wedge spin numbers as my target audience want better accuracy to go with the better feel.

Cheers, Boz.

I was going to bring it up in a separate post but since you've discussed it I'll ask.

Why do ionomer or ionomer blends tend to shred in strips, unlike urethane balls which just scuff when I hit those solid low spinners? I feel in the end unless I bought the ionomer ball on closeout, the "replace every 9 holes" ionomers actually turn out more expensive than the durable urethane balls (Z Star in particular).

I was going to bring it up in a separate post but since you've discussed it I'll ask.

Why do ionomer or ionomer blends tend to shred in strips, unlike urethane balls which just scuff when I hit those solid low spinners? I feel in the end unless I bought the ionomer ball on closeout, the "replace every 9 holes" ionomers actually turn out more expensive than the durable urethane balls (Z Star in particular).

I agree with you XXio- it does add up fast.

And Boz, the Pinky is my "Goldilocks" ball- length, spin, feel/sound- everything's just right! Don't change a thing, please! :D

• SPY VIP

I am only in the 2nd half of my Tour Vision project at present that will see the introduction of a Premium FlexiGel TPU cover material in either a 3 or 4 piece structure depending on where I will sell it first, which will be aimed at the RX/RXS - Zstar type balls.

Cheers, Boz.

:D

Thanks for the bright thought this morning...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived