Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sg18 question

mbrodeur86

I am in the market for a new putter and was looking over the most wanted test over the last few years (when the sg18 started to get included in the test) and noticed something peculiar about the numbers. It seems like the sg18 numbers have gone down every year since they have been included. My question is; Why? Does this mean that the newer putters coming out are less accurate than previous years? Did something change in the calculations? Would like to know. Someone enlighten me lol

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I believe that The SQ18 for a given test is only relative to the putters in that specific test.

I don't think it means that putters from previous years are better than the new batch, but that the putters from this year were more comparable and thus less of a SQ18 spread.

But I could be missing this entirely.

I believe that The SQ18 for a given test is only relative to the putters in that specific test.

I don't think it means that putters from previous years are better than the new batch, but that the putters from this year were more comparable and thus less of a SQ18 spread.

But I could be missing this entirely.

This was my interpretation too. The score is relative to the average of the test group, not the average of all putters ever. Low numbers simply mean the putters being tested this year are more even across the board.

It's not a number you should base your purchasing decision on unless you're comparing 2 putters from the same test set.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Sorry, but can someone explain what the SQ18 is?

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

From the Most Wanted Putter testing blog entry:

Our proprietary scoring system is called Stroked Gained 18 (SG18). This is our metric for quantifying putter performance.

SG18 combines the power of the Strokes Gained methodology with the simplicity of an 18 hole score. It's a measurement that defines how a given putter could be expected to impact your overall score relative to the average putter in the field.

EXAMPLE:  SG18 value reflects the number of strokes a putter would be expected to change your score over an 18 hole span. For example, a putter with a SG18 value of 1.00, could be expected to save you 1 stroke per 18 holes or 2 strokes over 2 rounds when compared to the field average.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived