TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does it matter?

Bags

Hear is the question ~ does it matter if the same player got to the top of his backswing position 3 different ways?

1. Takes club back inside

2. Takes club outside

3. Takes club back technically correct

All backswings get this player in the same exact spot at the top of his Swing.

Spine angle is the same stance distance from ball same club being used etc....everything is the same.

Would it matter? Interested to hear some thoughts on this, thanks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I'm no instructor. But I'm going to say no. That the only thing that matters is what the clubface is doing at impact. So in that sense backswing and downswing don't really matter except for maybe 12 inches, the 6" before impact and the 6" after impact.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

In my case it matters. If I don't take the club back to a certain position when I bring the club down the face will be open and that equals a slice for me. The position of my club/hands at the top of my backswing is something my instructor and I have been working on.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

That's a cool question - actually I'm going with yes. It matters because the additional energy that it takes to adjust the swing to get the club back on plane will reduce club head speed some.

But that's an educated and experienced guess. I've often been a good enough ball striker to have a very low single digit handicap. I've always dropped the club inside significantly enough to be called a loop. I've never been overly long no doubt because of the wasted motion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hear is the question ~ does it matter if the same player got to the top of his backswing position 3 different ways?

1. Takes club back inside

2. Takes club outside

3. Takes club back technically correct

Spine angle is the same stance distance from ball same club being used etc....everything is the same.

Would it matter? Interested to hear some thoughts on this, thanks

Absolutely not. The ball only knows face angle and path angle at impact. Whatever it is you do before that moment of impact doesn't matter.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a potential cause and effect with certain motions or positions, but you could absolutely hit good golf shots doing any of the things that you've mentioned

I am going to go with no it doesn't matter.  That being said,  I believe the golf swing is a series of events and that the events need to happen in a sequence and by doing one of the moves you indicate,  you have to make a compensation to keep the club in the right position at impact.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It doesn't matter for me because I never take it back the same way twice.  :wacko: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yes it matters.

But I am going to switch things up a bit and say your hypothetical situation actually isn't possible.

I believe the golf swing is a series of events and that the events need to happen in a sequence and by doing one of the moves you indicate,  you have to make a compensation to keep the club in the right position at impact.  

As cnosil said above, the swing involves a sequence of events to get into position. 

This is referred to as the kinetic chain... When a joint and/or muscle is in motion, it creates a chain of events that affects the movement of neighboring joints and muscles. 

Taking the club back inside is a different kinetic chain from taking the club outside. Thus, even if the position looks nearly identical at the top, different muscles will be under different tension (and to different extents) at the top position depending on which kinetic chain they took to get there. (Unless you pause each swing at the top and relax and re-adjust into a specific position, which is not how we think about or execute the back swing in golf)

Thus, the restoring force of the those muscles on the downswing as they contract/relax will produce different results.

Jim Furyk... Ryan Moore...

Jason Day... Rickie Fowler

Mine... Yours

Many different ways, which one is wrong/right?

Now, the variability of golfers in terms of flexibility/coordination/athleticism means I can't tell you that taking it inside produces a certain result in the downswing exactly, as Shankster correctly points out above.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Yes it matters.

But I am going to switch things up a bit and say your hypothetical situation actually isn't possible.

As cnosil said above, the swing involves a sequence of events to get into position.

This is referred to as the kinetic chain... When a joint and/or muscle is in motion, it creates a chain of events that affects the movement of neighboring joints and muscles.

Taking the club back inside is a different kinetic chain from taking the club outside. Thus, even if the position looks nearly identical at the top, different muscles will be under different tension (and to different extents) at the top position depending on which kinetic chain they took to get there. (Unless you pause each swing at the top and relax and re-adjust into a specific position, which is not how we think about or execute the back swing in golf)

Thus, the restoring force of the those muscles on the downswing as they contract/relax will produce different results.

Now, the variability of golfers in terms of flexibility/coordination/athleticism means I can't tell you that taking it inside produces a certain result in the downswing exactly, as Shankster correctly points out above.

mo Norman took club inside on backswing but impact dead flush - Freddy couples played with open stance hit a draw kuchar over the top pull cut hogan only 8degrees up from shaft plane at the top of his Swing same as stricker,,,,,my point is many many different ways to skin a cat in this game - all great ball strikers at impact look pretty much the same.

That's a cool question - actually I'm going with yes. It matters because the additional energy that it takes to adjust the swing to get the club back on plane will reduce club head speed some.

But that's an educated and experienced guess. I've often been a good enough ball striker to have a very low single digit handicap. I've always dropped the club inside significantly enough to be called a loop. I've never been overly long no doubt because of the wasted motion.

rev correct bigger shoulder turn with restricted hip turn greater distance of course L 4/5 lumbar feels that over time

Absolutely not. The ball only knows face angle and path angle at impact. Whatever it is you do before that moment of impact doesn't matter.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a potential cause and effect with certain motions or positions, but you could absolutely hit good golf shots doing any of the things that you've mentioned

agree 100 percent - look at ray floyd s Swing what the ,,,,is was that but that guy could play

I would think it has to matter to some extent, some of the power is in the torso loading vs the arms being dominant but I have no proof to offer to that fact. I think how you set your club has an impact on how you start downward which can have many different effects on the ball.

Great topic.

Jim Furyk... Ryan Moore...

Jason Day... Rickie Fowler

Mine... Yours

Many different ways, which one is wrong/right?

Thanks - illustrates my point perfectly - Couples was wildly inconsistent and struggled with his back and consistency. Furyk struggles with consistency.

At any rate the question wasn't can you do it differently and still play, even at a high level. Obviously you can.

The question was does it matter. I would continue to maintain that the more efficient the swing the better.

Since we aren't machines we are going to have flaws in our swings - some of those flaws may be successfully overcome or put into sequence well enough to produce good shots.

As my Pro loves to say, “Miller Barber was a great golfer. But very few people are athletically gifted enough to swing a club like him and get away with it.” Oh and since he knows me well enough he adds, “And you're not one of them.”

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

mo Norman took club inside on backswing but impact dead flush - Freddy couples played with open stance hit a draw kuchar over the top pull cut hogan only 8degrees up from shaft plane at the top of his Swing same as stricker,,,,,my point is many many different ways to skin a cat in this game - all great ball strikers at impact look pretty much the same.

I completely agree with you but that wasn't how I interpreted your original question.

If your question was can you hit a draw if you take it back inside/outside/on-plane, the answer would of course be yes—"many different ways to skin a cat." But folks who have inside/outside/on-plane backswings will all have different kinetic chains to bring the club to the impact position—with a club face closed to swing path in the case of a draw. 

But your question was about position at the top for different backswings and not about the look at impact.

Each unique kinetic chain in the backswing necessitates a unique kinetic chain to return to the impact position of all great ball strikers. Your most successful swing will be based on a kinetic chain that feels most natural to you.

To clarify, when I said...

"Thus, the restoring force of the those muscles on the downswing as they contract/relax will produce different results." I was referring to the fact that a different kinetic chain and/or swing motion would be needed to reach the desired impact position. Not that each kinetic chain necessarily produces a draw/fade.

To be clear - this is way more biomechanical thought than you need to play golf. Step up and hit the frickin' ball. Your body knows how to move.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Lets not forget Chi-Chi Rodriquez... that around the body sweeping swing that If I tried I would absolutely pull into the left woods or out of bounds... 

http://www.golfchannel.com/topics/people/chi-chi-rodriguez.htm

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I completely agree with you but that wasn't how I interpreted your original question.

If your question was can you hit a draw if you take it back inside/outside/on-plane, the answer would of course be yes—"many different ways to skin a cat." But folks who have inside/outside/on-plane backswings will all have different kinetic chains to bring the club to the impact position—with a club face closed to swing path in the case of a draw.

But your question was about position at the top for different backswings and not about the look at impact.

Each unique kinetic chain in the backswing necessitates a unique kinetic chain to return to the impact position of all great ball strikers. Your most successful swing will be based on a kinetic chain that feels most natural to you.

To clarify, when I said...

"Thus, the restoring force of the those muscles on the downswing as they contract/relax will produce different results." I was referring to the fact that a different kinetic chain and/or swing motion would be needed to reach the desired impact position. Not that each kinetic chain necessarily produces a draw/fade.

To be clear - this is way more biomechanical thought than you need to play golf. Step up an hit the frickin' ball. Your body knows how to move.

correct

My teacher told me the most important thing in the backswing is width.And swinging on a tilted plane not flat.Those two really make the path into the ball more manageable.Mess those two up and it will be compensations and one round only swing tips forever

Keep it in the short stuff

I am going to go with no it doesn't matter.  That being said,  I believe the golf swing is a series of events and that the events need to happen in a sequence and by doing one of the moves you indicate,  you have to make a compensation to keep the club in the right position at impact.  

This is a great answer.  No it doesn't matter but I find when I take the club to much to the inside, I swing too far from the inside and will hook the ball.  My swing thought is always straight back, straight through.  For me it helps in squaring club face.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I say it doesn't. As others have stated, if your getting into a square impact position right before you hit the ball what does it matter how you route your takeaway and downswing. Now I will say that takeaway and downswing path may make it harder or easier to get back to a square impact though.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I wouldn't think so, I think the most important thing is having a consistent and repeatable swing, so you have a very good idea of where your ball is most likely to go....My biggest issue. Yes you may lose some energy and power and distance, but if you can control and play your game within that flight of your ball, I would think that's what matters most.

For me it's just trying to simplify it with as few swing thoughts and actions as possible.

I have a pretty short backswing, , that's because I found if I try to go to far backed the top, I lose control.

I'm not a great player, and can't work the ball, Just try to play to my tendencies.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'd be curious to see opinions being offered based on whether the person posting works with a teacher or not. I suspect those who trust an instructor would be more inclined to say yes and those who don't take lessons from a live teacher or who have had a bad experience with a teacher would be more inclined to say no.

As I stated earlier it's a great topic.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'd say it doesn't matter.  The important part my reasoning is that everything is exactly the same.  In that case, all of the previous kinematic sequencing is history, the muscle tensions would be the same, the positions the same, the weight distribution the same, and its a matter of moving forward.  As others have said, the ball only cares about the velocity, direction, and orientation of the clubhead at impact.

On the other hand, if you want to do any motion consistently, the simplest motion is probably the most repeatable.  There lies the argument that the path back DOES matter, because complicating the backswing motion seems likely to introduce increased variability.  Complicated motions, in my mind, make it very unlikely that they'll result in an identical result at the top of the backswing.  Which all makes the initial question moot, because the first premise, identical top of backswing positions, can't be met.

And to add in the factor that revkev mentions, I believe I understand a bit about the golf swing, and I've taken both a video review and an in-person lesson over the past season.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

As many have already stated; there are indeed myriad ways to successfully deliver the club at impact. However, developing a swing plane that compliments your release, should in theory increase the length of the impact arc that you are able to keep the clubface square and stable. And square/stable will always be the foundation of consistency. Rev's Miller Barber example is poignant in that "getting away with" swing flaws is akin to living a life of crime. It is inevitable that those cutting corners will "get caught" and only the most gifted criminals can make a career of it.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I just close my eyes and hope for the best 😋

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I just close my eyes and hope for the best 😋

😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I should add, I played with a gentleman a number of years ago that actually did that. He said his instructor had him visualize the shot so he didn't need to actually see it with his eyes open. He hit every fairway that round, so maybe he was onto something

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I should add, I played with a gentleman a number of years ago that actually did that. He said his instructor had him visualize the shot so he didn't need to actually see it with his eyes open. He hit every fairway that round, so maybe he was onto something

wtbeep telling everyone greatest game you will ever hate lol

I agree 100%

Archived