TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ernest Sports Launch Monitors

Does anyone have any experience with Ernest Sports? We're considering setting up an indoor simulated driving range at our office and writing it off as employee wellness. Yeah, we're all a bunch of adults who never grew up and don't plan on it.

GCQuad seems a little extravagant, and a buddy of ours told us about Ernest Sports, who will be releasing a new LM that's being marketed as the latest and greatest (obviously). 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Does anyone have any experience with Ernest Sports? We're considering setting up an indoor simulated driving range at our office and writing it off as employee wellness. Yeah, we're all a bunch of adults who never grew up and don't plan on it.

GCQuad seems a little extravagant, and a buddy of ours told us about Ernest Sports, who will be releasing a new LM that's being marketed as the latest and greatest (obviously).

First off that's an awesome place to work for that sorry no experience with them but you are lucky.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Are you wanting to have video displayed on a screen like a full simulator setup?  Or just more of a range and have something call out distances?

I haven't heard about anything new from Ernest, but I'm guessing as we get closer to the PGA show that will happen if it's out there.

This may seem like a weird place to start, but do you have any lefty's that would be using it?  A monitor that can handle both without moving around is going to be more expensive.

Personally the first place I'd start is with a proposed budget.  Figure out how much the screen, netting and mat will cost and then figure out what you have left.  If you just want a launch monitor that gives distances you and go a few hundred bucks and take a look at the Voice Caddie SC200.

If you want a full video simulator then you are probably starting with the SkyCaddie SkyTrak.  Depending on the setup you use don't forget to factor in the other hardware like a projector, ipad, apple tv or computer.

The SkyCaddie is really where I would start looking as a base line.  The only downside is having to move it for every shot from a lefty.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Are you wanting to have video displayed on a screen like a full simulator setup?  Or just more of a range and have something call out distances?

I haven't heard about anything new from Ernest, but I'm guessing as we get closer to the PGA show that will happen if it's out there.

This may seem like a weird place to start, but do you have any lefty's that would be using it?  A monitor that can handle both without moving around is going to be more expensive.

Personally the first place I'd start is with a proposed budget.  Figure out how much the screen, netting and mat will cost and then figure out what you have left.  If you just want a launch monitor that gives distances you and go a few hundred bucks and take a look at the Voice Caddie SC200.

If you want a full video simulator then you are probably starting with the SkyCaddie SkyTrak.  Depending on the setup you use don't forget to factor in the other hardware like a projector, ipad, apple tv or computer.

The SkyCaddie is really where I would start looking as a base line.  The only downside is having to move it for every shot from a lefty.  

We might not do the whole projected into a screen route and just rely on a laptop/computer to show us flight & club and ball data. The Earnest info I got was from a friend of the bossman - he was a teaching pro and played in the Sony a few years back so we're kinda leaning on him for info. It's called the 20/20 and from the e-mail:

In January 2018, Ernest Sports will reveal a revolutionary new launch monitor, the ES 20/20. With enhanced Doppler technology along with major advancements in camera technology, this launch monitor will perform at a level that has never been seen! Through direct measurement of both club and ball data, the ES 20/20 is a dream come true for golf professionals/instructors, game improvent seekers, simulation enthusiasts, and club fitters. 

As you said, the Skytrak definitely looks like the starting point and he said it's within budget. I don't know the exact number unfortunately, depends on how much the mats cost, and the net/tarp. Most of all, it comes down to the difference in price relative to what you get. Being the person that I am I'd like to see club path and AoA numbers but I don't think a GCQuad is in budget, but I also can't find a solid price on how much they actually run for. Also, shipping costs are a factor since we're on a rock in the Pacific.

We only know 2 lefties, but they don't work with us so if they want to play they have to deal with moving stuff around themselves :P

Sounds like you've made a good start on the research side then.  

If you go the impact screen route check out Carl's Place.  https://mygolfspy.com/carls-place-impact-screens-the-real-deal/  

They also sell the joints you need to build the frame, then you just go to a local hardware store and fill in the gaps with 1" tubing.  That would help keep shipping costs down since you can source some parts locally.  

If you want to go less expensive and DIY you can do the same thing with plumbing fittings and pipe from the hardware store and then hang thick tarps and sheets on it until you get the correct density to stop a golf ball without it shooting back at you.  The impact screen may cost a bit more up front but the prices aren't terrible and it will also allow you to expand to a video projector down the road if you decide you want to add that feature.

There is a ton of info out there for pretty much any budget, it just depends on how much you want to DIY and how much you want to purchase.  Best of luck with this project and make sure to give us the play by play as it's getting built.

I'll keep an eye out for more info on the Ernest too, it sounds intriguing.

Just did a little digging for buzz, so far it's pretty negative.  They had the ES 16 which didn't deliver on a lot of the things they said it would.  It also cost $6k and was not as good/accurate/reliable as competing products in that range.

If this is supposed to be a step up I would guess the price to be higher as well.  You'd be better off with a Flightscope Xi or Xi + in that price range.  I'd also check in to the Flightscope GC2 or GC2 + HMT.  With the quad out there may be a market for used GC2.  I'm guessing that is still high 4 figures pricing though compared to the $2k for a skytrak.  In the end it all comes down to budget again.

Just did a little digging for buzz, so far it's pretty negative.  They had the ES 16 which didn't deliver on a lot of the things they said it would.  It also cost $6k and was not as good/accurate/reliable as competing products in that range.

If this is supposed to be a step up I would guess the price to be higher as well.  You'd be better off with a Flightscope Xi or Xi + in that price range.  I'd also check in to the Flightscope GC2 or GC2 + HMT.  With the quad out there may be a market for used GC2.  I'm guessing that is still high 4 figures pricing though compared to the $2k for a skytrak.  In the end it all comes down to budget again.

Yeah, cost is king and that's ultimately what will be the deciding factor, unfortunately. I just hesitate when it comes to consumer-level stuff because I don't want something that is just for fun, I want it to be useful and accurate as well. Trying to get the no BS scoop on the consumer-based stuff and not just the back-of-the-box marketing crap they spoon feed us. GC2+HMT might be feasible if we can find one. I'll definitely look into Carl's screens but once again, shipping to Hawaii might put it out of reach and we'll have to build something with a net.

We might check out a local simulator golf place to see if we can find what they're using, and steal some ideas. Thanks for the info you've given already, definitely giving me more options to present to them, and thanks for any more info in the future!

Good info, thx - was wondering how the Ernest ES12 compares / contrasts with the SC200 as far as personal launch monitors for using at the range.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Good info, thx - was wondering how the Ernest ES12 compares / contrasts with the SC200 as far as personal launch monitors for using at the range.

This is from a couple years ago and tested against the SC100, but the Ernest offering didn't hold up well.

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guide-personal-launch-monitors/

I would go skytrak or gc2. With all the false claims and problems people had with the last Ernest monitor, anyone who believes their claims on this one deserves what they get. Just takes a little research to find they claim their monitor does more than it actually does. The last one isn't worth half the money of the skytrak.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

Yikes! Thx for the feedback!

(crossing Ernest off the candidate list.)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived