TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's Take: Jaybird RUN Headphones REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

The Golden Age of Wireless

Jaybird RUN - 1.jpg

Those of you who join me on the front tees may know that The Golden Age of Wireless was the name of Thomas Dolby's breakthrough 1982 album. You remember the song, She Blinded Me With Science? That was Thomas Dolby.

As I write this thirty-five years after that album was released, I would argue that we are actually in the Golden Age of Wireless right now. I know that Mr. Dolby was referencing radio with wireless, but think about how that term has grown in usage.

Everything is wireless now. Internet, phones, phone charging, car starting, game controllers, speakers, and the list grows daily. There are probably three or more wireless things within ten feet of you right now.

Now is truly the Golden Age of Wireless, and the Jaybird RUN headphones I'm reviewing for you today definitely adds to that golden glow.

Jaybird RUN Wireless Headphones

Jaybird RUN - 4.jpg

Bluetooth headphones have been on the scene for a few years now. Though it was super cool to finally detach from the music player, many of those headphones had issues with size, connectivity, and overall quality of both sound and design. These areas have definitely improved in recent years though, with size in particular growing ever smaller, until finally reaching the wireless ear bud level.

Though other headphones were on the market prior, Apple releasing the AirPods really changed the Bluetooth bud landscape. That's what Apple often does. No longer was it chic to have the white headphone cord showing, now the cool kids needed to have little white hooks in their ears. Apple made the Bluetooth ear buds desirable; prompting other companies to make ones that are as good, or better.

A few months back, I put the Jaybird X3 wireless headphones through the paces, and they were my go to headphones for everything (gym, golf, tablet, and so on), until I first opened and installed the Jaybird RUN headphones in my ears.

Without a doubt, these are the best wireless headphones I have ever used.

Let's take a quick look at the specs, and then I'll share with you why I am so high on the Jaybird RUN headphones.

Jaybird RUN - 3.jpg

Jaybird RUN Specs

• 4 hour play time + 8 hour charge case
  • Fast charge - 5 minute charge = 1 hour play time
  • Secure + Comfort-Fit with interchangeable tips and fins
  • Customize your sound with the Jaybird app
  • Sweat-proof and water resistant
  • Music + Calls
  • $179.99
  • Complete specs can be found HERE

Charging the RUN

Jaybird RUN - 5.jpg

I want to start with the coolest thing about the Jaybird RUN, the case/charging system. While the Jaybird X3 had excellent battery longevity, I still forgot to charge them, and was left without tunes at the range.

With the RUN, the case has a battery too, and so your headphones are always charged. Sure, the AirPods do this too, but it is such a huge benefit to the headphones that it's worth mentioning, even if it's not unique to the RUN. This feature alone pushes the RUN well past other wireless headphones in my arsenal. They always have juice!

If for some reason you don't put them in the case when done, putting them in there as you drive to the course/gym should give you plenty of charge for the range session.

Jaybird RUN - 8.jpg

The case also has multiple lights to let you know the charge state of the headphones, and also the case itself. Any USB connection can be used to charge the case. This is another advantage over the X3 where a proprietary cable was needed for charging.

Testing the RUN

Jaybird RUN - 6.jpg

Connecting

When you open up the case the first time, the Jaybird RUN headphones immediately look to pair with something. Quick press of the Bluetooth connect button in your phone's preferences, and you are ready to rock.

From that point on, every time you open the case, the headphones turn on and pair almost immediately. Putting them back in the case and closing the lid also turns them off. So seamless and easy.

Fit

Like the Jaybird X3, the Jaybird RUN package includes multiple fins and ear socks to dial them in for your ears. This is a huge benefit vs. the AirPods where you are far more fit-limited. This time around, the stock fins and socks fit my ears perfectly, keeping the RUN secure no matter what my activity.

itb-run-desktop.jpg

These stayed in place on the range, on the course, at the gym, walking the neighborhood, and even when I got the body up to run speed. I figured I needed to run a bit since that's their true target after all. Even for a guy whose run is more of a rumble, the Jaybird RUN headphones never even wiggled.

Performance

As I said above, the Jaybird RUN stayed in place regardless of my activity. The ear tips made an excellent seal, blocking out much of the environmental noise. I like this a ton because that means you can play the music at a lower volume, and still not hear the 50 cap in the next hitting bay giving lessons.

Jaybird RUN - 7.jpg

They also do a pretty good job of staying connected to the phone. With the phone close by, sound never dropped out, though I could get them to drop by moving away from the phone in the house. During all of the activities where I used the RUN headphones, my phone was always near me, so this was not an issue. If you leave your phone in the gym locker and just take the headphones to the weight room, there may be some connection problems.

Controls are similar to the Jaybird X3. The left bud button controls power and Siri; play/pause and skip are controlled on the right. My only real control gripe is that there is no way to adjust volume on the RUN. To do that, you'll need to use the buttons on the phone. If all of your music is at the same recorded volume, this is not an issue, but I hit some louder and softer tracks during my shuffle. If the sound volume was not ideal, I typically just double clicked to skip.

Phone call performance was excellent, though their level of noise canceling makes it a bit awkward for me. I don't want to be the guy that yells into the earpiece during the phone call. The person on the other end could hear me just fine.

run-jet-2.jpg.imgw.1000.1000.jpg

Those of you who want to tweak the various bass and treble levels can do so on the Jaybird phone app, though I found the stock settings to be perfect for my tastes.

Value

At $179, the Jaybird RUN represents no small investment. That price is actually $20 higher than the AirPods. Are these better than the AirPods? Truth be told, I can't really answer that because I don't own the AirPods, but that may actually be the answer.

I'm one of those all-in Apple guys. My first computer in college was as Mac Plus, and I've probably had twenty or more Apple computers, iPods, iPhones, and so on since then. I loved the look and the features of the AirPods when they came out, but didn't buy them because I was worried about one falling out and getting damaged or lost. I know I'm not the only one who felt this way about the AirPods.

I have no fears of losing one of these RUN headphones. They stay in place, even though they are so light that you forget you are wearing them. Maybe I didn't give the Apple headphones a fair chance, but I just can't see how they could fit better than the RUN.

Dave's Take: Running with the RUN

Jaybird RUN - 2.jpg

So far, I'm definitely gushing over the Jaybird RUN. These are so close to being the perfect wireless headphones. I just wish that I could adjust volume from the speaker. That's really my only complaint, and it is totally overshadowed by the other awesome aspects of the RUN. If you are a dedicated runner, or just if you feel like losing a few pounds, eating healthier, and making a few friends in the process, then the Jaybird RUN are for you.

Now I just wish that Apple (or someone) would make an iPod Shuffle with Bluetooth connectivity. Leaving the big phone behind and playing music on lightweight wireless headphones from a lightweight wireless player would truly be my Golden Age of Wireless.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Dave, I've had my second pair (can't remember the model now) for at least 3, maybe even 4 years now and they are the best bluetooth headphones I have had the pleasure of owning.  My first pair had a problem but Jaybirds customer service took care of it with no absolutely no trouble.  I was an early adopter to Bluetooth headphones and had a few pairs of duds from other manufacturers.  I am glad to see someone else snagging a pair of birds and enjoying them.  I hope yours give you a long time of trouble free service like mine have!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• SPY VIP

Dave, I've had my second pair (can't remember the model now) for at least 3, maybe even 4 years now and they are the best bluetooth headphones I have had the pleasure of owning.  My first pair had a problem but Jaybirds customer service took care of it with no absolutely no trouble.  I was an early adopter to Bluetooth headphones and had a few pairs of duds from other manufacturers.  I am glad to see someone else snagging a pair of birds and enjoying them.  I hope yours give you a long time of trouble free service like mine have!

I was/am impressed with the Jaybird X3 headphones as well. My son wanted to trade me his Beats wireless headphones for them :)

The RUN are so good.

Volvo Intorqueo

How is the noise cancelling?  My primary use is while mowing the lawn.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

hmmmmm.  Great review.  I have never tried these or the apple buds.  I do have the bluetooth Bose sports which I do like.  There is a wire between the two buds though.  When trying to hit balls the wire does get in the way.  might have to try these...

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

• SPY VIP

Wholly cow they look huge. Think Ill just put my Bose 901 in each ear call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not as big as you think. Click the link to the Jaybird site and you can see some in-ear shots. One is attached below.

I can post my ears later if that will help...

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 3.07.01 PM.png

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

hmmmmm.  Great review.  I have never tried these or the apple buds.  I do have the bluetooth Bose sports which I do like.  There is a wire between the two buds though.  When trying to hit balls the wire does get in the way.  might have to try these...

That was the big advantage over the X3's. Losing that wire was a huge benefit. 

Volvo Intorqueo

That was the big advantage over the X3's. Losing that wire was a huge benefit. 

so I went to find my bose buds and they are gone...can't find them ANYWHERE.  so frustrating but now the door is open jump on the jaybird bandwagon...

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Job well done on that review Dave.

Those look like some nice ear-phone-speakers-bud things. I'd probably be willing to try them perhaps one day if I get in the market.

I have to wonder how much less they'd cost if the company ditched all the fancy presentation box stuff and went minimal packaging.

Again... nice review. With pictures!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for this.  They look and sound great.  But knowing me, I'm sure I'd find a way to lose them one at a time.   As inconvenient as wireless ones that are connected by a sting or band, at least I'm less likely to lose them.   And I don't use them a whole lot, so I'd have to really increase my usage to probably justify the purchase.   But very well done review! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 10 months later...

@GolfSpy Dave  have you had any trouble with the left/right bud losing Bluetooth pairing during use?

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

• SPY VIP
9 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

@GolfSpy Dave  have you had any trouble with the left/right bud losing Bluetooth pairing during use?

Here and there, but usually it is at start up if it happens. I just put them back in the case and re-pair them and that usually fixes it. I can't think of a time when they had been playing for a while and then dropped out though.

Volvo Intorqueo

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

Here and there, but usually it is at start up if it happens. I just put them back in the case and re-pair them and that usually fixes it. I can't think of a time when they had been playing for a while and then dropped out though.

That's the main issue that has kept me from ordering a pair.  Glad to know it's a simple fix!  Looks like a pair JB Run are in my future

Gameday

Classic Bag

Archived