Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OFFICIAL EXPERIENCE: Mygolfspy forum goes to Cleveland Golf

hckymeyer

DAAAAAMMMMMM. Those do look sweet.. hit them well..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn these sticks are sweet. The driver and fairway were 50/50 today, getting 1 good 300+ yard drive (only driver a few times) but I attribute that to still getting used to the new shafts on the course versus the range.

The wedges are UNREAL! I love these CBX wedges and really feel a ton of confidence with them. On a shorter (115) par 3 over water, the 50 degree with a solid swing was money out of out box, More so than doing a soft PW.

I was able to use the wedges fall everything that wasn't a bump and run.

Overall the short irons and wedges have been a major strength, and while the longer irons are easier to hit than previous irons, I've been inconsistent, but that's me. Still shooting lower scores, 94 today, but I have been setting myself up for 120 and in, just due to the confidence I have in the wedges.

Putting was good today with the CB Elevado, getting better at lagging long putts and working on 6 footers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Those CBX wedges are solid for sure. Glad to hear you are liking the shaft changes.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 2 months later...

Have so much confidence with the CBX wedges, I just ordered a 46 bent to 45 to replace the PW which is currently at 44. The lofting currently is 20, 23, 26, 30, 34, 39, 44 and 50, 55, 60. Once the new 45 comes in I'm going to bend the 4i-9i 1 degree weak so they'll be at 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40 then 45, 50, 55 and 60 for my desired gapping. Haven't been able to be consistent with the hybrid versus the Cobra F7, so not sure it'll make the final bag cut.

The driver ended up with the yellow HZRDUS 75x and the 65 in the FW. I know that typically you go heavier in the FW for swing weight considerations, but lighter FW shafts have worked better for me, my last FW was money at 55g shaft.

Final write up in the coming weeks

• 2 months later...

Well, i had some issues with the previous HC HZRDUS yellow shafts, with the 65 in the 3W snapping a couple weeks ago, then 1 week later, the 75 in the driver snapped at the tip inside the hosel. I’ve never had any shafts I’ve installed myself snap like that, but also hard to see both snapping without some type of installer error.

IMG_6606.jpg

Anywho, Cleveland was super generous again and I sent the 3W in and they installed a new 65g HZRDUS yellow 6.5. I must say, I LOVE THIS 3W. It is awesome off the tee and grass, and super long for me. Easy to get airborne, even with the low launch HZRDUS yellow, and very straight. I have dearly missed my old Cobra AMP 3W that I snapped the shaft screwing around with a 1 handed swing at a driving range. Even after I replaced the shaft, it was never the same. This fills that void for me and allows me to dial my F7 hybrid up to 18-19 range to directly compare to the 19 Cleveland hybrid.

As for the 75g, it snapped at the very tip and was salvageable so I trimmed it off and sold it as a stout AF fairway shaft (fully disclosed all info, here’s the MGS listing with pics , but it eventually sold on eBay

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/25623-wtt-hand-crafted-hzrdus-yellow-75g-65-flex-fairway-shaft-425-inches/ )

I didn’t contact Cleveland about the driver because they’ve gone above and beyond anything I could or should expect or even hope for and they had literally just replaced the FW shaft.
I used the proceeds to pick up a new Aldila Tour Blue 75x shaft which has worked very well in my Cobra Fly Z+, so now I can get a direct head to head comparison of drivers.

IMG_6602.jpg

I truly appreciate anyone who’s still following this thread as it’s been a looooooong process for me, ( and Cleveland since they’ve put up with me for 10 months and helped me out more than I could wish for) and I wanted to share the full ride. I have limited time and ability to get out and practice and play, so reporting back has been spread out, but a final review is coming with probably something very special for those following along.

That's awesome that they fixed it for you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, they’ve been amazing. After the 3W I promised not to contact them about anything club related again.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the Launcher HB driver at 10.5 degrees with the Alidla Tour Blue 75x has knocked the Cobra Fly Z+ with the same shaft out of the bag.  I “can” hit the Cobra very well, but am inconsistent and find myself really swinging harder more recently, where as with the Launcher, I can back down on the tempo and still get nearly the same ( if not more)  distance and am much straighter. 

The new shaft I installed is a little shorter, with overall driver length coming in at just over 44.25  but damn, I am hitting the face so much better, able to swing so much easier. I tried choking down a bit on the Cobra to match the length, but the results were still better for the Cleveland.   

IMG_6878.JPG

This just confirms to me that I perform better with a mid-launch shaft in my driver and while I did do a quick re-fit in the Spring to compare a few other options and went based on that fitter’s recommendation, the low launching HZRDUS yellow at standard length wasn’t the ideal shaft, and maybe the HZRDUS Red or EvenFlow Blue, both of which are mid launch, could have been better, but none of that matters at this point as the current set up flat out works for me.

The Launcher HB 15 Fairway with the HZRDUS yellow 65x is an absolute beast for me. It is neck and neck with my Cobra F7 hybrid for favorite club in the bag.  I can hit a mid-height rocket both off the tee and the grass with this club and the low launch profile of the HZRDUS yellow with a lighter 65 gram weight and higher launching head of the Launcher HB are a fantastic combo. I know it goes against more traditional set up of having a heavier fairway shaft than the driver, but that doesn’t matter to me at this point.

IMG_6876.JPG

Now, when it comes to hybrids, the Launcher hybrid could not outdo my Cobra F7. They both have the KBS Hybrid Proto 95 S+ shaft and are great clubs, but I have just so much more control and ability with the Cobra. The Cleveland gets the ball up in the air in a hurry and straight with an easy swing, but I like a lower launch with my hybrid and the rails on the F7 help me a ton in the grass. I have the Cobra dialed into 18.5 degrees and that’s where it will stay to fill the gap between the FW and 4i.

The irons are just awesome! I am playing with s300 shafts hard stepped 1x. The lofts are jacked compared to other sets, with the 4i at 20, 5i at 23, 6i at 26, 7i at 30, 8i at 34 and 9i at 39. Due to the sweetness and awesome control I feel with the CBX wedges, I pulled the PW and purchased a 46 degree wedge and had it bent to 45, so now I have a 45, 50, 55 and 60 degree wedge set up.   The 4i has been a big surprise for me, easy to hit and I get a nice penetrating flight.  I could get nearly the same distance with the 19 degree hybrid as the 4i, and I feel the 4i is more versatile as I like to do bump and runs from the fringe with it, in addition to taking it of the tee and grass. I’m still determining whether to have them all bent 1 degree weak, but honestly haven’t golfed enough lately to make the determination.  I can also back off on the force of my swing and still get excellent distance and am much straighter, making it easier to stay calm during the round and minimize forcing my swing. All is good for now.

The wedges have been nothing but awesome. As stated above, I bought a 46 and had it bent to 45 to replace the PW. Overall, these wedges are so easy to hit and get the ball up in a hurry with a soft landing. My confidence is way up in my short game and I can make use of all of them and have good versatility with the 5 degree gaps. The higher bounce has been good for me. The 55 and 60 make it relatively easy to get out of the sand.  I rarely do a full swing with my wedges, so I use the 45 for 125-110ish, the 50 for 110-90ish, the 55 for 90-75ish and the 60 for anything shorter than needs to get some air under it.  I adjust the amount of power with what is needed and have had minimal issues with control.

IMG_6877.JPG

The putter has been hot and cold for me, but that is due to going back and forth at times. I love my Honey Badger wide body blade and had an awesome putting round, but then sometime go cold. The Elevado is a 38 inch Counter balance version and can be absolute money inside 6 feet, almost automatic, but my lagging longer puts has been off and honestly I haven’t made the time to work with it more.  I am going to commit to it solo over the next 3 months and see how it works out.

IMG_6875.JPG

Overall, I am a big fan of this new Cleveland line.  I am beyond grateful to MyGolfSpy and Cleveland Golf for allowing me to participate in this. As someone that only gets out to golf 10-15x per year, I need all the help I can get.  I am still a high (unofficial) handicap, shooting between 90 and 100, but I know that will be coming down with continuing to work on my putting and with how much easier it is to be consistent with these clubs.

IMG_6879.JPG

Now for anyone following along, I have something for you.  If you are willing to throw a $25 donation to MyGolfSpy (qualifies you for the end of the year MGS equipment drawing to boot!) AND are willing to do a mini review and post it on MGS, then  I am offering up this right handed Cleveland Launcher HB 19 degree Hybrid with the graphite KBS Proto Hybrid 95 S+ shaft to you.

IMG_6873.JPG

MyGolfSpy has been ridiculously generous to me and actually chose me for the KBS Proto Hybrid shaft review a few months before the Cleveland Get Fit Like a Pro 2018 Event and sent me 2 shafts. One is in my Cobra F7 hybrid and the other is in this Cleveland HB Launcher. Now, this is a very good hybrid for me, easy to get airborne and straight, but I am better with the Cobra and since they both fill the same slot in my bag, I don’t need it.

IMG_6867.JPG IMG_6869.JPGIMG_6872.JPG

Without the grip, it measures 39 ¾-40 inches, with grip, it’s just over 40-40 ¼ so just at stock and comes with the head cover and your choice of 3 grip listed below ( if you want) : New Pure Pro in Lime Green (standard size), New Pure Wrap in Bright Pink ( standard size) and pulled Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 in Grey (midsize).

IMG_6871.JPG grips.jpgIMG_6870.JPG

I’ll leave this open for the next week, closing on Friday 11/9 at 12 noon.  Enter your name and location and I will assign you a number and put all of you into a random number generator.  If chosen, I will ship it to you shortly you send me confirmation of your donation to MGS. I will cover shipping in the US.  If you are located outside the US, I’ll cover the first $10 and will need your assistance to cover the rest.  

Good Luck and thank for your patience!!

IMG_6874.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

Love the comments and pictures, thank you for the follow up! Cleveland isn't a brand I naturally gravitate toward, but after your review I have to reconsider why that is.

Very kind of you to offer the club up too. If it didn't fill the same role as my voodooed Cobra F7 fairways wood I'd be all about tossing my name in the hat. Good luck to the lucky recipient.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Love the comments and pictures, thank you for the follow up! Cleveland isn't a brand I naturally gravitate toward, but after your review I have to reconsider why that is.
Very kind of you to offer the club up too. If it didn't fill the same role as my voodooed Cobra F7 fairways wood I'd be all about tossing my name in the hat. Good luck to the lucky recipient.

I have never had any of their older stuff, so I can’t compare their previous works. But it’s working for me. The wedges are unbelievable.
Do the irons have the same feel as my old Mizunos? No, but I am much more consistent.

Nice gesture MCaseyM! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

MCaseyM, I really enjoyed the detailed, and long term, review. Thank you for sticking with things and keeping us updated. I would like to enter the hybrid giveaway! I am located in Albany, NY. I’ll send you confirmation of donation directly. Thanks again!!

Driver: Searching
Wood: Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood factory stiff shaft
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 3-hybrid factory stiff shaft
Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Wedges: 52,56,60 Mizuno mp t5
Putter: Sentio Red (Medium)
Ball: Bridgestone E6 Speed, and Titleist Pro V1

Wow! Thanks so much.

Donations do not need to be done ahead of time, my apologies if that’s how it came across, but I will give 3 entries to anyone that does!

And this thing is closed!

Well, after carefully randomizing all the entries, individually assigning a 16-bit security tag to each, the winner is....................

Pappyvanroyl

Archived