Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread!

Does a constant 2-3 year lag in technology count?

My personal opinion is that the technology leaps vary from club to club (2016 M2 > 2017 M2) and it really depends on your tastes.

Newer does not always equal better. I don't knock you for getting a driver that's a few years old, I just knock you for getting 2 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I don't know about "Backwards" but I am still gaming my Wilson "Sandy Andy" Sand wedge.   My club was "procured" from my father's bag- and is circa early 1960's.  I believe the "Alien" wedge from the 1990's and several other similar wedges with huge bounce flanges have been on the market for some time, but none match the comfort and security I feel when getting out of greenside bunkers with my trusty Sandy Andy...

I love the performance and rarely ever leave a ball in the sand.  With such a big bounce, I can also use it for short chips over trouble with a reasonable expectation of the ball sitting down before rolling off "Donald Ross" type greens.

sandy andy.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Great thread!

Does a constant 2-3 year lag in technology count?

My personal opinion is that the technology leaps vary from club to club (2016 M2 > 2017 M2) and it really depends on your tastes.

Newer does not always equal better. I don't knock you for getting a driver that's a few years old, I just knock you for getting 2

As most reasonable people would...ha   

As I mentioned to MDGH, I got them both for such a good deal, that if either one or neither work out, it'll be easy to put them back up for sale and recoup most of the money.  Which is a benefit I hadn't really thought of before of buying clubs that are 2 to 3 years old, they've already taken the big depreciation hit, so you won't be taking as huge of loss of say buying a 2017 driver and then selling or trading it 6 months later.  

MDGH can tell you as he's known me for over 15 years, I go through very hot and cold streaks.  I may buy a few drivers and couple sets of irons all within a few months.  Then I'll go maybe a year without buying anything.  Well a year is a cold spell for me at least..ha

I don't know about "Backwards" but I am still gaming my Wilson "Sandy Andy" Sand wedge.   My club was "procured" from my father's bag- and is circa early 1960's.  I believe the "Alien" wedge from the 1990's and several other similar wedges with huge bounce flanges have been on the market for some time, but none match the comfort and security I feel when getting out of greenside bunkers with my trusty Sandy Andy...

I love the performance and rarely ever leave a ball in the sand.  With such a big bounce, I can also use it for short chips over trouble with a reasonable expectation of the ball sitting down before rolling off "Donald Ross" type greens.

So you've played that all along, or did you have a newer wedge more recently and then switched to that.   I once had a Cleveland  588 DSG wedge that was custom built for me by the Cleveland Tour Van while I waited, the right length, weight and bounce grip all tailored to me.   It was the best feeling wedge Ive ever had.  I used it until the grooves and grip were literally worn out (probably 9 years) and hated to give it up. 

Cold water? Lol.. Just saying save your money for the new drivers offering an extra 20 yards! The PGA show in January is right around the corner!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

And, BTW, I am still gaming my Callaway Razr Fit Extreme driver from 2014.  I got that while visiting Monterey for a conference and being paired with a guy who had one and let me try it.  Best feeling driver I have owned since my old Fusion FT3.  Can feel the ball and get wonderful feedback, even on off-center hits.  I tested the new Ping G400 which launched the ball higher, but just did not have the feel or feedback, and at $500, not for me!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

... I go through very hot and cold streaks. I may buy a few drivers and couple sets of irons all within a few months. Then I'll go maybe a year without buying anything. Well a year is a cold spell for me at least..ha

I'm still waiting for that cold streak 😂🤣😂

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I'm still waiting for that cold streak

MDGolfHacker

it was the week you were on vacation..ha

And, BTW, I am still gaming my Callaway Razr Fit Extreme driver from 2014. I got that while visiting Monterey for a conference and being paired with a guy who had one and let me try it. Best feeling driver I have owned since my old Fusion FT3. Can feel the ball and get wonderful feedback, even on off-center hits. I tested the new Ping G400 which launched the ball higher, but just did not have the feel or feedback, and at $500, not for me!!!

I had that driver but I was talked into a 7M3 Black tie shaft which was way beyond too stiff for my measly swing speed, lol. Loved the head but hated the shaft. Gave the shaft to my BIL, but never really found a shaft that would go with the head.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

😂🤣😂😂

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I haven't, mainly because I have done my research as to how newer technology could help my game.  If a club that is 2 or 3 years old performs better than what I am currently gaming, then I would look into why.  Is the shaft different?  Is the spin profile of the head different?  It really would tell me that my current club doesn't fit me correctly, and I firmly believe that newer tech, when fit correctly, will almost always out perform older tech.  

I think this especially holds true for metal woods when compared to irons.  Heck, I had a friend just go through an iron fitting at club champion, only to come out of the fitting WITHOUT getting new irons.  His original Callaway Apex irons he go years ago still performed the best for him.  I think that tells you a lot about 1) the quality of those irons and 2) just how little irons in that category have changed in the last few years.

Thinking about this topic, I've picked up older tech putters and maybe a year old new wedge, but in general I get the latest that's out there. Figure my game can use all the latest tech out there. The only exception was when I picked up a set of Tommy Armour Forged blades. They were several years old but brand new in a wrapper.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

It's not really an apples to apples comparison. Ping and Titleist have differing COG theories. Perhaps Ping's choice is better for your swing (it is for mine).

Also it could be that a given year's technological advance doesn't represent a gain for all players.

Long term there is likely to be small advances but generally speaking a player will find that his swing gravitates to certain driver brands because of their general premises.

Interesting thread BTW -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's not really an apples to apples comparison. Ping and Titleist have differing COG theories. Perhaps Ping's choice is better for your swing (it is for mine).

Also it could be that a given year's technological advance doesn't represent a gain for all players.

Long term there is likely to be small advances but generally speaking a player will find that his swing gravitates to certain driver brands because of their general premises.

Interesting thread BTW -

Good point, and I touched on that with MDGH in our conversation.   There were some critics/reviewers out there that said, Titlesit with the 917 was just "catching up" to what others had been offering already.  Thinking also of the other purchase the JPX850 with the track technology, it kind of does the same thing the Titleist weight cogs do.   move the weight forward and back as well as heel or toe.  

As to your point about certain brands fitting a players swing.  I can see that, I felt that way about TaylorMade for years, with the Burner, then the R9 but then they lost me at the R15 and I haven' been back.  Although I am very interested in the M4 from what I hear. 

I haven't, mainly because I have done my research as to how newer technology could help my game.  If a club that is 2 or 3 years old performs better than what I am currently gaming, then I would look into why.  Is the shaft different?  Is the spin profile of the head different?  It really would tell me that my current club doesn't fit me correctly, and I firmly believe that newer tech, when fit correctly, will almost always out perform older tech.  

I think this especially holds true for metal woods when compared to irons.  Heck, I had a friend just go through an iron fitting at club champion, only to come out of the fitting WITHOUT getting new irons.  His original Callaway Apex irons he go years ago still performed the best for him.  I think that tells you a lot about 1) the quality of those irons and 2) just how little irons in that category have changed in the last few years.

Don't bring logic and common sense into my irrational thread.  :huh:

But seriously it's a good point.  As to looking back and asking why if that does indeed turn out to be the case.  

Good point, and I touched on that with MDGH in our conversation.   There were some critics/reviewers out there that said, Titlesit with the 917 was just "catching up" to what others had been offering already.  Thinking also of the other purchase the JPX850 with the track technology, it kind of does the same thing the Titleist weight cogs do.   move the weight forward and back as well as heel or toe.  

As to your point about certain brands fitting a players swing.  I can see that, I felt that way about TaylorMade for years, with the Burner, then the R9 but then they lost me at the R15 and I haven' been back.  Although I am very interested in the M4 from what I hear. 

SLDR and R15 were extremely low spin (low and forward weight) so it is not surprised that you hated those clubs as you did not have the swing speed for them.  Now the aeroburner, 2016 and 2017 M2 would be a much better fit - and I am sure the M4 will follow down that road as well

SLDR and R15 were extremely low spin (low and forward weight) so it is not surprised that you hated those clubs as you did not have the swing speed for them.  Now the aeroburner, 2016 and 2017 M2 would be a much better fit - and I am sure the M4 will follow down that road as well

Well at the time (of the R15) I had a bit more of swing speed than I do now, not tour level but mid to upper 90's as opposed to right around 90 now.    But I did try the Aeroburner and just never loved it for some reason.   I hit a M2 (2016) at a couple demo days and did "ok" but my most common driver miss tends to be low on the heel, and we all know that is where the M2 performed worst of just bout any driver it compared to.  By that time, i believe I had moved onto the Wilson D300 and Bridgestone J815 and stuck with those for a while.  

Hahaha that's too much. I hit an older driver better than the new stuff when I first started playing a few years ago. Now I won't go older mainly because I will be fit for everything for now on. Harder to get fit for something older.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So you've played that all along, or did you have a newer wedge more recently and then switched to that.   I once had a Cleveland  588 DSG wedge that was custom built for me by the Cleveland Tour Van while I waited, the right length, weight and bounce grip all tailored to me.   It was the best feeling wedge Ive ever had.  I used it until the grooves and grip were literally worn out (probably 9 years) and hated to give it up. 

I've had it in my bag since -well, since I nicked it from my father.   I have tried (on occasion) other wedges, but have never felt anything anywhere in comparison to what it does.  I have not had a wedge fitting- perhaps that is something that I should consider... esp since I am considering testing the Cleveland RTX's based on the upcoming MGS Live thread out in CA...

Come to think of it, I have not had a full bag fitting since my Riley Repeater clubs in Monterey, CA in the early 1990's.  I moved from them to Tommy Armor 845's, then to Hogan Apex Edge Pros, all for the feel.  Lost some distance and feel when I was away from playing, so moved to the TM Burner 2.0, bought a used set of Hogan Ft Worth's on a whim - loved them but they are way beyond my consistency (or lack thereof) and now back to the Titleist AP2 714's... 

Suffice to say I am somewhat behind the technology edge, but not so far out of the forefront to be obsolete.  Like STUD said, I am economic (read frugal) when it comes to purchasing new golf stuff.  Like most cars, they lose value as soon as they are used once, so...   I would rather save my pennies for golf trips to wonderful, far off (or nearby) destinations!

BTW, my the grooves are completely gone from my Sandy Andy.  I would love it if  I could get it re-finished and re-grooved, but I think that might cost a pretty penny...

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

I don't go back once I'm finished with a club. But.... I might test a few drivers/heads this coming spring. But these aren't going to be 2017 or 2018 models. I've been looking at some 2015 heads. Remember when these were all the best available on the planet and the longest ever made? Ever! You can buy them cheaply these days. I might experiment some this spring with a few of them. Trying different shafts etc. I know if I do decide to game and old 2015 model I'd surely be giving up a whopping 12" in the fairway as compared to the newest models out there today. But then again.... it'd be 4" longer than my 2014 SLDR.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This is a really good thread already CG2!

Was actually thinking about this last night. Have a number of older drivers (circa PING Rapture - Taylormade Burner) in my parents garage and have been thinking about fitting myself into a shaft.

I'm always paranoid the screw on my 5 year old RAZR Fit shaft adapter will come out. Hasn't ever come loose on me this whole time, just feel like I'd have peace of mind with a good ol fashioned head glued to a shaft haha

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Was actually thinking about this last night. Have a number of older drivers (circa PING Rapture - Taylormade Burner) in my parents garage and have been thinking about fitting myself into a shaft.

I'm always paranoid the screw on my 5 year old RAZR Fit shaft adapter will come out. Hasn't ever come loose on me this whole time, just feel like I'd have peace of mind with a good ol fashioned head glued to a shaft haha

Thanks....but credit should go to MDGolfHacker for asking me the question that got me thinking about it in these terms.

I saw a TaylorMade Burner (07) in a used rack for like $39 not long ago.   it was one of the better drivers I have hit, of coruse it also coincides with when my swing speed was at it's highest and I was playing pretty decent golf.  so that could be clouding my memory..HA

I might, I'm going to put this XR16 head that my boss picked up on CPO during the black friday sale on my current shaft, and see if it beats the Epic. Something about the XR16 3w just isn't fair, the face feels illegally hot, gonna see if there's some cheat codes in the driver too.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I might, I'm going to put this XR16 head that my boss picked up on CPO during the black friday sale on my current shaft, and see if it beats the Epic. Something about the XR16 3w just isn't fair, the face feels illegally hot, gonna see if there's some cheat codes in the driver too.

It's going to take one heck of a 3w to take mine out of my bag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hey if you are not going to adjust it epoxy or Loctite it in. I did that with my 915 not that it ever came loose but I did check it every week and then I thought this is stupid so I glued it in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Now I do slip back as most of you know from time to time. Last week I played a set of Pristine 80 Mac VIPs I had had for a year or so. They had 7.0 Brunswicks in them and I can not hit that rebar any more. I ended up putting a set of #2 Hogan Apex shafts in them. BTW for you rookies those are real HOGAN Apex Shafts from around 82 or 83. This week I am playing my Mac Muirfield blades 2 thru PW. S-300. Since both of those sets are traditional lofts ( 50* PW 45* 9 iron) I do not need a gap wedge. Also went back and used one of my old Wilson wedges which is a 1965 Staff triple duty 56*. But the 915 stays in the bag as does the Super S 3 wood and the old TM 19* Rescue and of course the rusty Scotty

But hey you can not pay me any attention the guys around my ex club swear I have a screw loose.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Pretty cool Stu!

This is going way back... I have the TM r7 SuperQuad. I love it. You cannot miss a fairway with it. It is not my gamer anymore because it cracked, but I am definitely not throwing that thing away!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Going backwards with wedges qualify?.I've got 2 - 52 degree. An RTX 3.0 and a 6 year old Ping eye. I'm just much more consistent with the Ping so the RTX is gathering dust in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel