TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

Oh no! I just chose the F7 hybrid over the G. I hope I don't regret it.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

You will like the F7's! The rails are great but to me they felt more like a wood and I like my hybrids to feel and sound more like an iron.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Just recently did this. I was using the Cobra F7 and hit some strong drives with it but ended up going back to my Nike Vapor for consistency and all around comfort. I'm also still gaming the Nike vrs 3-wood till it either busts or something performs better. Sometimes it really does help not to mess with a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Has this thread made anyone else go looking for older clubs to possibly put in the bag? I know it has for me!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Has this thread made anyone else go looking for older clubs to possibly put in the bag? I know it has for me!

Been looking the last couple months for a decent price on a white ice sabretooth putter

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, interesting question, Mr. CG2!

Next season I may be taking a step backwards in time in two spots in the bag....

* 3H -

Used to play a 3H, not necessarily well, tho .. and the brand/model has changed a few times over a few years .. but this past season I was using a 5W (XR16) in its place. Liked that club off the tee and off a very clean lie, but not as all-around useful to me as a hybrid.

Well.. the latter part of this past season my swing really came along so I took an old 3H to the range to test it out, along with some other clubs. I seemed to be pounding it fairly solidly, so ... that '09, I think, vintage TM TP 3H with "FCT" = Flight Control Technology .. ie. you can adjust the face angle open/closed (but not loft) .. may become the tool of choice in that slot in the bag.

The "story" with this club is it was a gift from an appreciative client!

* Wedges -

I have current gen MD3 50 and 54 which I like, but at the end of the season I started wondering if I might be better off with graphite shafts in my wedges. So I picked up a set .. 50/54/58 .. of several iterations old Forged wedges off Callaway Pre-Owned, all with their Tour M75i graphite shaft, on the cheap to test out. These are old enough to pre-date face milling but since I got them well-used the faces are pretty scratched and roughed up.

I cleaned out the grooves and wire brushed off the rust, and took them to the range and onto the course for a few practice holes.

Well... I think I like them! One thing I noticed right off is you need to hit it a bit firmer with the graphite shaft, vs steel, to get the same distance. (But that may just be me.) But I felt like more of my wedge shots were going right on-line .. so these guys may be da playahs next season.

So I guess for me ... it's not the "tech", per se, it's what you can hit confidently and well ... ie. the right tool for the job at hand.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Yes. I used to play Vokey's.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Good topic. I recently went backwards and couldn't be happier. Went from 2017 M2 driver to JDM 430 SLDR. Also went from Steelhead XR Pros back to my old Adams Idea CMBs. Lastly, I'm going back to my Scratch 8620 wedges. All together the oldies are just good combos, looks, and feels for me. New tech has advantages of course, but comfort level and predictability does too. But I love my O-Works 7s and TP5 ball! Thanks for the great thread!

Good topic. I recently went backwards and couldn't be happier. Went from 2017 M2 driver to JDM 430 SLDR. Also went from Steelhead XR Pros back to my old Adams Idea CMBs. Lastly, I'm going back to my Scratch 8620 wedges. All together the oldies are just good combos, looks, and feels for me. New tech has advantages of course, but comfort level and predictability does too. But I love my O-Works 7s and TP5 ball! Thanks for the great thread!

Thanks.

I always was tempted to try the scratch wedges. Maybe I'll search for some on the Bay, just because

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I went backwards in time on my irons to Titleist 681's. I just like the feel ... but they have the perfect shafts for my convoluted swing. Love Ping Eye 2's as well but they are so fugly at address ... but what backspin they put on the ball. Tried the PXG's ... nice but no improvement on distance or direction compared to my old 681's. Still searching though ... for the Holy Grail of irons. I'll try all of them ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I went backwards in time on my irons to Titleist 681's. I just like the feel ... but they have the perfect shafts for my convoluted swing. Love Ping Eye 2's as well but they are so fugly at address ... but what backspin they put on the ball. Tried the PXG's ... nice but no improvement on distance or direction compared to my old 681's. Still searching though ... for the Holy Grail of irons. I'll try all of them ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Those 681's are some sweet irons.

Thanks.

I always was tempted to try the scratch wedges. Maybe I'll search for some on the Bay, just because

I'm not alone in thinking they are great. And you can pick them up pretty cheap. I'm selling a pair of 53* & 58* on ebay.

2PC- Scratch DS Forged Satin Wedge Set (53 & 58*) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322894682667

I went waaaay back from aero burners all the way back to Ping ISI , also have a set of eye 2 . For some reason they just feel better in my hand. Only thing I've upgraded were my wedges to rtx 2.0. Still have my Titleist 983k and still use it. Just not one for all the new stuff. Plus I'm not that good enough yet where the new clubs would matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 10 or 5 year comparisons are very interesting and I have watched most of them and some other YouTube channels.  Here is my 2 cents on the Rick Shields videos. Would love to hear everyones opinions. 

1)  Overall the club manufactures gain about 1 yard a year.   Since the COR is maxed out it might be coming from the latest clubs being slightly more forgiving or better at managing spin.  

2)  Even though the latest model is "slightly" better if you find an older club that fits your swing it will be every bit as good or even better.  Rick had a couple of sleeper clubs in the test that fit his swing perfectly and were very close to the best in the bunch.  Some of these were 5 or 6 years old.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

The 10 or 5 year comparisons are very interesting and I have watched most of them and some other YouTube channels. Here is my 2 cents on the Rick Shields videos. Would love to hear everyones opinions.

1) Overall the club manufactures gain about 1 yard a year. Since the COR is maxed out it might be coming from the latest clubs being slightly more forgiving or better at managing spin.

2) Even though the latest model is "slightly" better if you find an older club that fits your swing it will be every bit as good or even better. Rick had a couple of sleeper clubs in the test that fit his swing perfectly and were very close to the best in the bunch. Some of these were 5 or 6 years old.

I agree on that last part: "..if it fits your swing". If you're playing something you're comfortable with, chances are pretty good you're going to have more confidence at address out on the course .. and so put a better smack onto the ball.

But if newer fits you and works for you .. why not?

I say use the right tool for the job at hand.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I agree on that last part: "..if it fits your swing". If you're playing something you're comfortable with, chances are pretty good you're going to have more confidence at address out on the course .. and so put a better smack onto the ball.

But if newer fits you and works for you .. why not?

I say use the right tool for the job at hand.

Agreed.  If you like the latest and greatest go for it.  Drivers are definitely getting better each year.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

It would be difficult for me to go backwards with my driver, because if I did it most likely would be made of wood.

Ha! ...and be calling it one of those colloquial Scottish things like "mashie spoon" or something...... ;-)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I'm about to, but not for any playability reasons. My parents winter in Arizona and I'm taking a trip out there in January. Instead of buying a travel bag and flying with my actual clubs, I sent my parents an old set of my irons that I used to play. It will be interesting to play golf with really low expectations, no woods, and someone else's putter.

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

I just went back to a fly z+ over the callaway epic. Same shaft in both but the fly z has been a bit more consistent and sets up better in my eyes.

As for irons I went to Miura CB 57s and have been striking it better overall but I got fitted as well.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I do on occasion.  I have a set of Mizuno COMP EZ's I bag every once in awhile.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I just went back to a fly z+ over the callaway epic. Same shaft in both but the fly z has been a bit more consistent and sets up better in my eyes.

As for irons I went to Miura CB 57s and have been striking it better overall but I got fitted as well.

Can't say I blame you at all for going back to those irons!!

• 3 weeks later...

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

I've "retreated" a few times, mostly wedges. There have been a few newer wedges, that I have tried, not bought but used, and I just seem to like the ones I have better. Not a particular club or company, just a type of club.When I turned about 55 or so, everyone told me ditch the 4 and 5 iron and go hybrid. Let the fun begin. Well, I watched my partner, he was hitting hybrids, almost flawlessly with ease. I was not struggling with my long irons but he made this hybrid thing look so easy. So, I after a bit, I took the leap.  Got fitted, did research and got 2 hybrids. Went to the the range. 1 swing, 2 swing, 50 swings nothing remotely good is happening. Took the them to the course twice and nothing remotely good is happening there either.Went back to the club guy and was able to give them back for a slight loss. 5 aand 4 are still in the bag, 5 years later. Different brand but still hitting long irons.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

I've "retreated" a few times, mostly wedges. There have been a few newer wedges, that I have tried, not bought but used, and I just seem to like the ones I have better. Not a particular club or company, just a type of club.When I turned about 55 or so, everyone told me ditch the 4 and 5 iron and go hybrid. Let the fun begin. Well, I watched my partner, he was hitting hybrids, almost flawlessly with ease. I was not struggling with my long irons but he made this hybrid thing look so easy. So, I after a bit, I took the leap.  Got fitted, did research and got 2 hybrids. Went to the the range. 1 swing, 2 swing, 50 swings nothing remotely good is happening. Took the them to the course twice and nothing remotely good is happening there either.Went back to the club guy and was able to give them back for a slight loss. 5 aand 4 are still in the bag, 5 years later. Different brand but still hitting long irons.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

yeah, hybrids are possibly one of them more interesting club segments out there.  For years I was like you, couldn't hit them solid to save my life regardless of which model.  Then I tried them out of pure necessity two years ago, the Titleist 816 H1 and it was like the Holy Grail.  I hit every one solid, straight and decently far enough.   They (18 and 23 degree) have become my most favorite or consistent clubs in the bag.   

From time to time, I bring out my ping eye 2s plus no plus irons. The wide soles help groove swing. My only knock on them are the lofts, but hey just club up and they still perform enough as I only use the briefly.

Also swap out my 60 or 64 for a Pat Simmons sand shark wedge at start, just to reacquaint myself with bunker play. As swing comes alive and drives become straighter via more practice/play it returns to its corner, remaining a lurker.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

I'm about to, but not for any playability reasons. My parents winter in Arizona and I'm taking a trip out there in January. Instead of buying a travel bag and flying with my actual clubs, I sent my parents an old set of my irons that I used to play. It will be interesting to play golf with really low expectations, no woods, and someone else's putter.

Did this for trips down to FL to visit my Mil. The Florida bag contained an callaway FT5, Cleveland launcher titanium 3W, 3-PW Tommy Armour silver scott blades, Older TM wedges and a two older putters. No more worrying about hauling my sticks down there.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I think technology gains differ from person to person and what they are looking to gain. I have a few things in the. At that have given me significant gains over older clubs and tested some that haven't.

For me distance is great but if it doesn't come with consistency I'm not interested. I played my 915 woods until I practically wore them out. Didn't make an upgrade until the year when a 2017 M2 finally showed an increase in distance and was as consistent as my 915. For me though it was finding the shaft that brought those gains out. The stock offering wasn't as good as my 915.

In an iron fitting the end result was I don't see any gains significant enough to warrant you spending $1000 or more on a new product. Is 2 yds really a gain? Not to me. In fact I've been rocking a set of Adams MB2's that while 6 or 7 years old feel as good as anything I've ever hit and hang right there with my 716 AP2's. I'm probably more comfortable with the MB2 and confident in the results I'm going to get so they are likely hanging around.

A lot of talk about new tech, all the yardage gains, and some great marketing to drum up sales but off the shelf stuff doesn't always generate those gains for every player and you may be better off swinging old trusty.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame that the product release cycles are so aggressive these days.

Some of the irons that get relegated to the shelf/closet/backup bag are very, very good.

I agree that - especially in the case of irons - one could easily play as well with older sets as newer sets.

I think when it comes to the other clubs in the bag - drivers, hybrids/fwy woods, putter, wedges - it is quite possible and reasonable that the new tech can help.

I think the best for me will be/is a set of GI irons and a set of 'better player' irons.  Start the season with GI to get everything synced up and grooved in and then move on to the better player.  I'd be more than happy with a set that is 3-6 years old.

As a matter of fact I might even pick up a set of the Ping Eye2.  In my searches for 'best irons ever' these are probably named more than any other iron.....if only I could find a BeCu set.  That copper is ooo-la-la...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

It's a shame that the product release cycles are so aggressive these days.

Some of the irons that get relegated to the shelf/closet/backup bag are very, very good.

I agree that - especially in the case of irons - one could easily play as well with older sets as newer sets.

I think when it comes to the other clubs in the bag - drivers, hybrids/fwy woods, putter, wedges - it is quite possible and reasonable that the new tech can help.

I think the best for me will be/is a set of GI irons and a set of 'better player' irons. Start the season with GI to get everything synced up and grooved in and then move on to the better player. I'd be more than happy with a set that is 3-6 years old.

As a matter of fact I might even pick up a set of the Ping Eye2. In my searches for 'best irons ever' these are probably named more than any other iron.....if only I could find a BeCu set. That copper is ooo-la-la...

I think this every time I get whooped by an older guy & his ol clubs w/worn out grips. Lol

As you can see from my signature, everything I game is pretty old. The G20 3 wood needs to compete against a TEE XCG6 that I pound but cannot keep on the planet and an old Big Bertha S2H2 that is short but automatic. I've thought about keeping it in the bag, since it's really a 4 wood by today's specs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino