TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

Outside of the driver everything else currently in my bag is from '16 (irons that replaced a '17 model; a 4W) or '15 (hybrid, wedges) and '14 (wedge shafts .. plan on keeping those for a while).

Oh, not sure what year the putter was - bought it used in the Classifieds.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Interesting thread as I've pondered this very thing recently. I was looking at going to 2016 m2 driver which I loved and had in the bag for most of 2016 once I came off the hype train on some other brands. I replaced it with the 917. At times I ponder the Bridgestone j715 as that was a great driver for me and was the first driver to knock my g25 out of the bag

Before getting fit into the g400 I had the m2 in my cart and another cart had the shaft I was going to pair with it. I ended up going g400 route.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

....since I buy most of my stuff used I always go "backwards"... how far 'back' is the question.

I just picked up a set of Wilson FG tour F5 irons from 2016...  I sold my Mizuno MP53's to pay for them.  Me and those Mizzy's didn't get along too well even though they were one of the more highly rated MP models.

I have no problem going back and, as a matter of fact, I'd love to pick up a cheap set of Ping Eye 2.  Some guys are still playing them and others have sworn that they are some of the best irons they've ever hit.

I was recently fit for my driver so I don't see me changing that anytime soon....unless things go south in a hurry.  :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I went backwards on my irons. Had a set of Nike vapor pro blades and went back to a set of Cleveland 588 cb/mb irons. The Cleveland's feel sooooo much better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

To me irons are definitely the easiest to go “back” with. Just have to find something with the offset top line and turf interaction you want and you're good to go! Woods I know I'm going back too much on tech and wedges are hard to find that aren't already worn out groove wise.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go back 20 years with my driver as new drivers have pretty much maxed out the tech IMO but I don't have any problem going back a few years in irons.  I bought a set of Titleist DCI 962's when I was in Calgary in the spring so I had something to hit in the dome for a couple of weeks and hit them as well as anything else I own.   I'll regrip them and game them when I go back out in August for a couple of weeks.  I bought a set of 10 year old Wilson Di-7's over the winter back home in Windsor, Ontario, regripped them and they are my "new" irons for this year and I hit them extremely well.   

Just as an aside, I watched a video on YT last night.  Peter Finch picked up a bunch of used clubs at a charity shop for 25 quid and gamed them for 9 holes.  He was 3 under after 3 and I think he parred out the rest of the way.  Interesting little experiment. 

Well at the time (of the R15) I had a bit more of swing speed than I do now, not tour level but mid to upper 90's as opposed to right around 90 now. But I did try the Aeroburner and just never loved it for some reason. I hit a M2 (2016) at a couple demo days and did "ok" but my most common driver miss tends to be low on the heel, and we all know that is where the M2 performed worst of just bout any driver it compared to. By that time, i believe I had moved onto the Wilson D300 and Bridgestone J815 and stuck with those for a while.

A few years ago I'd tried the AeroBurner mini driver and hybrids .. felt to me like they were heavily draw-biased.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I understand upgrading the woods from time to time but if you are playing anything less than maximum GI irons then there is nothing to gain other than being fitted better. If you play forgings literally ANYTHING can be good. Just get them fitted with the correct shaft. The DG X100/S300/R300 are still some of the most popular shafts out there which shows steel shafts haven't made any material improvements in a while.

Can someone tell me why I need to hit an iron farther? Didn't think so, because the only thing that matters with irons is consistency.

I remember the Nickent commercial from the early 2000s showing an older gent hitting a par 3. His friends asked him if he used a 6 and he said "no" and showed them a 7 iron and they all were impressed. How pointless.

Sorry about the diatribe but changing irons to gain distance is illogical. If you can improve consistency or ball flight then it makes sense but that is not necessarily due to any changes in technology or new clubs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I went from Mizuno MP62 to MP33's once. I also went from JPX EZ Forged to MP64. I had intended to go to the MP H5's but decided on hybrids instead of the hollow body irons, and the MP64's had the lofts and forgiveness I needed.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Cobra Fly Z+ just went back in the bag. Been a struggle and should just go take a lesson to help with my driving, but in the mean time the trusty blue fly z is going back in the bag replacing the epic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I dug my Dad's old Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades out of the basement and cleaned them up and I'm taking them in for new grips tomorrow.  I think they are circa 1982ish.  I played with them up until just a few years ago but they haven't left the basement since I got my first set of GI clubs.  It's not hard to see why they are called blades though. I think if I dropped a piece of cooked meat on the top of the 4 iron it would definitely slice in half.  I'd forgotten how really thin they were.   The lofts look pretty weak.  I'll have the fitter check them for me but I suspect the 7 iron is closer to 36-38 degrees although that's just by eyeballing it.  That means I'd lose a club and a half to my current set all else the same, so likely 2 clubs.  Translated that means a 130 yard 7 iron :D .  Truth be told I can't wait to get them to the range and tackle the challenge of hitting them.   If I hit them well enough I'll probably game them on a shorter course or the local par 3 although it has a couple of holes in the 170-190 range I might have a hard time reaching.

Great thread!

Does a constant 2-3 year lag in technology count?

Or in my case 2 decades.  I'm definitely not going back to my GBB that is for sure  :)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 6 months later...

Ping Eye2+ -> Ping ISI BeCu -> Ping i3 -> Ping i5 -> other brand -> Ping G25 <- Ping i20 -> other brand <- Ping Eye2+no+ -> Ping ISI BeNi -> other brand -> Ping G

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

17 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Ping Eye2+ -> Ping ISI BeCu -> Ping i3 -> Ping i5 -> other brand -> Ping G25 <- Ping i20 -> other brand <- Ping Eye2+no+ -> Ping ISI BeNi -> other brand -> Ping G

Wow ... What a long, strange trip it's been... 😉

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yes.....last month. I wasn’t playing very well with my Cobra F8’s, so I reached back in time and started playing my 10 yr old PowerBilt driver, fairways and irons. All of them are nitrogen infused. Played well with for a month, just to shake things up. Cashed a few times in our local games then switched back to the Cobra’s and garnered 2nd Place yesterday ($105) !

Sometimes it is good to switch the bag up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

3 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Cashed a few times in our local games then switched back to the Cobra’s and garnered 2nd Place yesterday ($105) !

Nothing like fleecing your buddies. LOL

That's my game. Love it!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yes. I've been back and forth several times over the years when my wife and I were first getting started with our careers. There were a couple of times where money would get tight and I'd sell off my clubs to help us get by for a little bit or something. More recently I swapped the Nike Vapor Pro Driver and Vapor Flex 3 Wood (both 2015 models) for older clubs. The G25 came out in 2013 and of course the 906F2 was released in 2006. On average, I'm getting better numbers and more consistency with both clubs.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

For a while I went back a ways with my driver and bagged a Ping K15 when the Ping G30 SFT first came out. It was decent enough (I sold my initial one then went back and bought another maybe 6 months later) but I could never get comfortable with how light the head was. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have gone back to the SLDR and my old Adams hybrids. I try something new and have a great honeymoon but then real life sets in and I miss the good old days :) And I won't even consider a new three metal - I have a tour issue RBZ that is so good - I just KNOW I'm going to hit it well, you know?

It's funny this thread ongoing since '17 - it really is a great topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

using a 16 year old 4 wood. Also gone back to a 14 yr old Ping Anser 2 putter.

Driver is 7 years old, Hybrid is 7 yrs old

/think I'm living in the past 😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 2/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, Charli said:

Went from r9 tp irons to taylmade m2 irons. 

After my beginner set of Top Flites,I had a set of R9s .. gave them away to a friend's kid, and from time to time I think .. man I shudda kept them and still be playing them......

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 2/7/2019 at 6:00 AM, russtopherb said:

For a while I went back a ways with my driver and bagged a Ping K15 when the Ping G30 SFT first came out. It was decent enough (I sold my initial one then went back and bought another maybe 6 months later) but I could never get comfortable with how light the head was. 

I have a K15 driver that I break out when I can't find fairways. Might be the easiest driver I ever hit.

• 1 month later...

I upgrade every club (driver, irons, putter, wedges, hybrid) in my bag at least every year or every other year.  Except for my 7 wood.  a 21* Ping G10 fairway wood.

I got it new when it came out.  9 years now?  Something ridiculous like that. 

My spider Ghost was almost as old before I replaced it a year ago with a Scotty 6M. 

Yep!   Finicky like a cat when it comes to golf clubs.   Never satisfied and always looking for a white light experience.  That's me and if you know of an GCA meeting in the local area, sign me up.... 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I reached back into my garage and decided to play my 10 yr old Powerbilt woods & irons. Why? Normally the winter is dry but this year everything was wet. So I decided to play irons with wider soles. Put the Arccos sensors in the grips and played them for a month.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder