Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Golfspy_CG2

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Cobra Fly Z+ just went back in the bag. Been a struggle and should just go take a lesson to help with my driving, but in the mean time the trusty blue fly z is going back in the bag replacing the epic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I dug my Dad's old Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades out of the basement and cleaned them up and I'm taking them in for new grips tomorrow.  I think they are circa 1982ish.  I played with them up until just a few years ago but they haven't left the basement since I got my first set of GI clubs.  It's not hard to see why they are called blades though. I think if I dropped a piece of cooked meat on the top of the 4 iron it would definitely slice in half.  I'd forgotten how really thin they were.   The lofts look pretty weak.  I'll have the fitter check them for me but I suspect the 7 iron is closer to 36-38 degrees although that's just by eyeballing it.  That means I'd lose a club and a half to my current set all else the same, so likely 2 clubs.  Translated that means a 130 yard 7 iron :D .  Truth be told I can't wait to get them to the range and tackle the challenge of hitting them.   If I hit them well enough I'll probably game them on a shorter course or the local par 3 although it has a couple of holes in the 170-190 range I might have a hard time reaching.

• Like 1

Great thread!

Does a constant 2-3 year lag in technology count?

Or in my case 2 decades.  I'm definitely not going back to my GBB that is for sure  :)

• Like 1

Ping Eye2+ -> Ping ISI BeCu -> Ping i3 -> Ping i5 -> other brand -> Ping G25 <- Ping i20 -> other brand <- Ping Eye2+no+ -> Ping ISI BeNi -> other brand -> Ping G

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Ping Eye2+ -> Ping ISI BeCu -> Ping i3 -> Ping i5 -> other brand -> Ping G25 <- Ping i20 -> other brand <- Ping Eye2+no+ -> Ping ISI BeNi -> other brand -> Ping G

Wow ... What a long, strange trip it's been... 😉

Yes.....last month. I wasn’t playing very well with my Cobra F8’s, so I reached back in time and started playing my 10 yr old PowerBilt driver, fairways and irons. All of them are nitrogen infused. Played well with for a month, just to shake things up. Cashed a few times in our local games then switched back to the Cobra’s and garnered 2nd Place yesterday ($105) !

Sometimes it is good to switch the bag up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

3 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Cashed a few times in our local games then switched back to the Cobra’s and garnered 2nd Place yesterday ($105) !

Nothing like fleecing your buddies. LOL

That's my game. Love it!

• Like 1

Yes. I've been back and forth several times over the years when my wife and I were first getting started with our careers. There were a couple of times where money would get tight and I'd sell off my clubs to help us get by for a little bit or something. More recently I swapped the Nike Vapor Pro Driver and Vapor Flex 3 Wood (both 2015 models) for older clubs. The G25 came out in 2013 and of course the 906F2 was released in 2006. On average, I'm getting better numbers and more consistency with both clubs.

• Like 1

For a while I went back a ways with my driver and bagged a Ping K15 when the Ping G30 SFT first came out. It was decent enough (I sold my initial one then went back and bought another maybe 6 months later) but I could never get comfortable with how light the head was. 

I have gone back to the SLDR and my old Adams hybrids. I try something new and have a great honeymoon but then real life sets in and I miss the good old days :) And I won't even consider a new three metal - I have a tour issue RBZ that is so good - I just KNOW I'm going to hit it well, you know?

It's funny this thread ongoing since '17 - it really is a great topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, Charli said:

Went from r9 tp irons to taylmade m2 irons. 

After my beginner set of Top Flites,I had a set of R9s .. gave them away to a friend's kid, and from time to time I think .. man I shudda kept them and still be playing them......

• Like 1

Yeah maybe one day I’ll go back. I learned how to golf with them. Probably not the greatest starting iron but they were free. 

On 2/7/2019 at 6:00 AM, russtopherb said:

For a while I went back a ways with my driver and bagged a Ping K15 when the Ping G30 SFT first came out. It was decent enough (I sold my initial one then went back and bought another maybe 6 months later) but I could never get comfortable with how light the head was. 

I have a K15 driver that I break out when I can't find fairways. Might be the easiest driver I ever hit.

• Like 1

I have a Taylormade Burner 2007 5 wood that I just cant replace. I've tried hybrids, utility irons and other fairway wood but this thing is a performer.