TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

Going backwards with wedges qualify?.I've got 2 - 52 degree. An RTX 3.0 and a 6 year old Ping eye. I'm just much more consistent with the Ping so the RTX is gathering dust in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yep wedges count.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I honestly don't think I have... I don't think I've ever gone back to an old model.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've gone back to my Callaway XF irons on more than one occasion . They're my comfort irons for when I need some TLC

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Not necessarily going backwards, but I've been trying to kick SLDR out of my bag since 2014. I've gotten new drivers (yes plural) pretty much every season and end up selling them and sticking with SLDR. It just fits my swing and I hit it well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just to update - I won't be going backwards and putting an XR16 on my current shaft. There wasn't any magic, though the head is significantly lighter feeling. I can see why Sadlowski likes it, felt like I could get some extra MPH's over the Epic. Epic feels 100% better off the face and let's me know where I hit the ball

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

No forward for me..louisville golf persimmon blades 304..(with a little lead tape).titleist vokey raw wedge...titleist old standard bullseye putter and king cobra SS 350 driver..with matching 3 and 5 woods..sorry..not broke don't fix..but I do experiment with different brands of balls

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks....but credit should go to MDGolfHacker for asking me the question that got me thinking about it in these terms.

I saw a TaylorMade Burner (07) in a used rack for like $39 not long ago. it was one of the better drivers I have hit, of coruse it also coincides with when my swing speed was at it's highest and I was playing pretty decent golf. so that could be clouding my memory..HA

Barely used to the driver, but I had the irons and dayum did those things launch

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just to update - I won't be going backwards and putting an XR16 on my current shaft. There wasn't any magic, though the head is significantly lighter feeling. I can see why Sadlowski likes it, felt like I could get some extra MPH's over the Epic. Epic feels 100% better off the face and let's me know where I hit the ball

The XR16 was one of the better drivers I've hit. But 1.5 yards longer and no better dispersion wasn't worth it for me

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not necessarily going backwards, but I've been trying to kick SLDR out of my bag since 2014. I've gotten new drivers (yes plural) pretty much every season and end up selling them and sticking with SLDR. It just fits my swing and I hit it well.

Cool.  We must have been seperated a birth, as I was/am the same way with drivers, it's just not as well documented as my iron fondness!  Although I will admit, the SLDR is one I never tried.  I guess I had heard so much negative rhetoric about it when it came out, that for whatever reason I shied away.  I think also at that time, I was pretty firmly entrenched in a 14 club Callaway bag. 

In my hybrid clubs yes, most definitely.  Over the years I have bought and tried various makes and models of hybrids.  But, for some reason I always end up with my old TM Mid-rescues back in the bag.  Over the years and my aging, they have gone thru multiple shaft changes.  From Stiff to Regular and to my now installed Senior flex shafts. I would love to try the New Cleveland Hybrids though!!

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

When i started golfing again in 2008 i had a Cobra SZ440 that was my first medal driver. I gamed that driver for quite a long time. I took my clubs with me on a trip to vegas in 2011, and proceeded to snap the shaft in the driving range. I replaced that driver with a Adams Speedline 9064ls. I games that drive for a couple of years but it wasn't really doing it for me, so i went back to the sz440. that club was still what i was looking for. I finally replaced that sz440 permanently with the cobra bio cell+. Love that driver. I might be replacing it in the near future, but it will not be with something brand new. It will most likely be replaced with at least a year old model.

I'm not really someone that chases technology. Just need something that i am happy hitting.

WITB - New Drive, Irons, and putter for 2019. What could possible go wrong?

Driver:   :callaway-small: EPIC 
3wd:  :cobra-small: BIO Cell+ 12.5*
2hb:  :callaway-small: Diablo Tour 18*
4-pw:  :srixon-small: 765
52*:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3
56*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
60*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 1

I've been thinking about throwing a second FW in the bag and have been looking at stuff, but yesterday I went into my basement, found my old Adams Ovation 3W and just set it down and it felt so right. Threw it back in the bag and that'll be the spot for it in 2018. Also, looking forward to the competition in early 2018 between my new Triton and my old Nike SQ, gonna be interesting.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I've been thinking about throwing a second FW in the bag and have been looking at stuff, but yesterday I went into my basement, found my old Adams Ovation 3W and just set it down and it felt so right. Threw it back in the bag and that'll be the spot for it in 2018. Also, looking forward to the competition in early 2018 between my new Triton and my old Nike SQ, gonna be interesting.

Triton vs Nike SQ...that will be interesting.   

Now I do slip back as most of you know from time to time. Last week I played a set of Pristine 80 Mac VIPs I had had for a year or so. They had 7.0 Brunswicks in them and I can not hit that rebar any more. I ended up putting a set of #2 Hogan Apex shafts in them. BTW for you rookies those are real HOGAN Apex Shafts from around 82 or 83. This week I am playing my Mac Muirfield blades 2 thru PW. S-300. Since both of those sets are traditional lofts ( 50* PW 45* 9 iron) I do not need a gap wedge. Also went back and used one of my old Wilson wedges which is a 1965 Staff triple duty 56*. But the 915 stays in the bag as does the Super S 3 wood and the old TM 19* Rescue and of course the rusty Scotty

But hey you can not pay me any attention the guys around my ex club swear I have a screw loose.

Hogan made such good irons back then - actually they still do- the Ft Worths are beautiful, and wonderful to hit, but I am not a consistent enough ballstriker to game them.  I absolutely loved the Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons.

I will have to look at the shafts I have in my old Hogans- see what they are- but boy were they sweet!

hogan apex edge.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Triton vs Nike SQ...that will be interesting.   

I look forward to see how it plays. I haven't bought a driver in a decade because that SQ was/is the bomb. However, with it getting up there in age and Nike being out of business, I don't want to destroy it since it was so good to me. It deserves a quiet retirement, befitting its dignity and performance, not a Viking funeral. Hopefully Triton can do it and if not, I'm sure I can sell it to a friend and move on in the attempt to finally replace my old friend.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I keep going back to Callaway Apex Pro irons from several years back, does that count?

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

This is going way back... I have the TM r7 SuperQuad. I love it. You cannot miss a fairway with it. It is not my gamer anymore because it cracked, but I am definitely not throwing that thing away!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Believe it or not there are a bunch of senior retirees over at a neighboring course and quite a few of them play  the R-7 and SQ along with Eye 2 irons. I get into low buck money games with them sometimes. All of those guys can play still. I know the retirees at my former course will not mess with them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

No forward for me..louisville golf persimmon blades 304..(with a little lead tape).titleist vokey raw wedge...titleist old standard bullseye putter and king cobra SS 350 driver..with matching 3 and 5 woods..sorry..not broke don't fix..but I do experiment with different brands of balls

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Blades with lead tape I will say you and I would get along just fine

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there. But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit.

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm. I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!! He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology. You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new. Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850. You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two. But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued. And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model. If so, why and how did it work out?

well interesting thread- COR maxed out Id say roughly 8 yrs ago maybe even 10 0.083 or 0.086 cant remember anyway drivers from say 3/4/5 even 7 yrs ago on center face hits probably very little difference in total distance from say current model drivers. The biggest difference is on off center strikes our misses are a lot better lose less ball speed and still able to find tee ball even after a so so strike. - 4/5/6 yrs ago aaaa not so much - the only thing the driver manufacturer s can do is make a larger more for giving sweet spot thats is

Bags

Hogan made such good irons back then - actually they still do- the Ft Worths are beautiful, and wonderful to hit, but I am not a consistent enough ballstriker to game them. I absolutely loved the Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons.

I will have to look at the shafts I have in my old Hogans- see what they are- but boy were they sweet!

never had or played a set but have picked up clubs in retailers when hogan was still selling that way and wow beautiful looking clubs

Bags

I just went backwards from a Cobra F7 hybrid to a Ping G30 hybrid. A lot of it is shaft fitment I'm sure but I have been super happy with the change. Finally got my G400 bought but I was gaming an old R7 for a bit in the meantime and didn't feel "under clubbed". 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I just went backwards from a Cobra F7 hybrid to a Ping G30 hybrid. A lot of it is shaft fitment I'm sure but I have been super happy with the change. Finally got my G400 bought but I was gaming an old R7 for a bit in the meantime and didn't feel "under clubbed".

Oh no! I just chose the F7 hybrid over the G. I hope I don't regret it.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

well interesting thread- COR maxed out Id say roughly 8 yrs ago maybe even 10 0.083 or 0.086 cant remember anyway drivers from say 3/4/5 even 7 yrs ago on center face hits probably very little difference in total distance from say current model drivers. The biggest difference is on off center strikes our misses are a lot better lose less ball speed and still able to find tee ball even after a so so strike. - 4/5/6 yrs ago aaaa not so much - the only thing the driver manufacturer s can do is make a larger more for giving sweet spot thats is

Bags

This is absolutely right. You aren't buying new tech with the latest driver, just a new design. Get the shaft right for you and that is that. Until the limits on COR are raised the best anyone could do is improve quality control so every manufactured head returns the tightest and best smash factor. That doesn't really market well though. Variable weight differences move the center of gravity within a space the size of a postage stamp so I am skeptical this plays a major role.

But club ho's gonna ho.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I have 4 sets of irons and this year, I have bounced around a bit, as my game was declining.

PowerBilt AFO

Mizuno JPX800

Cobra F6

Hogan Ptx

They cover max game improvement to game improvement to wannabe player.

I have to say I can play any of them but the “Feel” off the Hogan's is unmatched.

I also go back in drivers

PowerBilt AFO WMD

PowerBilt AFO DFX

Cobra King LTD

Wilson Triton

I hit them all but the Triton kicks ass!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Bags

That's about right. Manufacturers were designing clubs at .86 cor but the USGA set the limit to .83 and deemed the hotter faced drivers illegal. They were and still are a sought after commodity... Lol

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Awesome thread!

I do/have gone backwards over the years. One with my Fly Z+ driver. Which I've owned for a bit now, but had a King LTD but reverted back.

I've also been searching endlessly for the perfect deal on a Ping i25 driver (haven't found the right deal yet!)

Last and I don't exactly know how much wedges really change over the years, but I did somewhat recently purchase a set of cobra trusty rusty tour black wedges which are going into play for next season!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Awesome thread!

I do/have gone backwards over the years. One with my Fly Z+ driver. Which I've owned for a bit now, but had a King LTD but reverted back.

I've also been searching endlessly for the perfect deal on a Ping i25 driver (haven't found the right deal yet!)

Last and I don't exactly know how much wedges really change over the years, but I did somewhat recently purchase a set of cobra trusty rusty tour black wedges which are going into play for next season!

Trusty Rusty's are the best. Enjoy them!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB