TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

I reached back into my garage and decided to play my 10 yr old Powerbilt woods & irons. Why? Normally the winter is dry but this year everything was wet. So I decided to play irons with wider soles. Put the Arccos sensors in the grips and played them for a month.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This winter has been crazy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 8:14 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

Last year after a couple of seasons of subpar wedge play went back to some 13 year old Cleveland 900 Form Forged wedges, the compact head and grind just work better for me whether chipping, pitching or sand play. I have managed to find a new and almost new backup for the 54* and 58* respectively. 

Driver: Mizuno ST-X 230 R flex Aldila Ascent 50

5-wood: Mizuno ST-X 220 R flex Ascent 50

7-wood: Wilson Staff Dynapower A flex Hazardous Red 50

9-wood: Acer XDS Grafalloy R flex Pro Custom

28* Hybrid: Taylor Made M4 R flex Ventus

Irons: 7-GW Maltby KE4 Max A flex Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Wedges: Wilson Staff Model 54*& 60* Dynamic Gold 120

Putter: Odyssey 11 S  34”

Ball: Snell MTB Prime

44 minutes ago, Slazman said:

Last year after a couple of seasons of subpar wedge play went back to some 13 year old Cleveland 900 Form Forged wedges, the compact head and grind just work better for me whether chipping, pitching or sand play. I have managed to find a new and almost new backup for the 54* and 58* respectively. 

Nice .. go with what works!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg