Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

Oh no! I just chose the F7 hybrid over the G. I hope I don't regret it.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

You will like the F7's! The rails are great but to me they felt more like a wood and I like my hybrids to feel and sound more like an iron.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Just recently did this. I was using the Cobra F7 and hit some strong drives with it but ended up going back to my Nike Vapor for consistency and all around comfort. I'm also still gaming the Nike vrs 3-wood till it either busts or something performs better. Sometimes it really does help not to mess with a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Has this thread made anyone else go looking for older clubs to possibly put in the bag? I know it has for me!

• Like 5

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

Has this thread made anyone else go looking for older clubs to possibly put in the bag? I know it has for me!

Been looking the last couple months for a decent price on a white ice sabretooth putter

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Yeah, interesting question, Mr. CG2!

Next season I may be taking a step backwards in time in two spots in the bag....

* 3H -

Used to play a 3H, not necessarily well, tho .. and the brand/model has changed a few times over a few years .. but this past season I was using a 5W (XR16) in its place. Liked that club off the tee and off a very clean lie, but not as all-around useful to me as a hybrid.

Well.. the latter part of this past season my swing really came along so I took an old 3H to the range to test it out, along with some other clubs. I seemed to be pounding it fairly solidly, so ... that '09, I think, vintage TM TP 3H with "FCT" = Flight Control Technology .. ie. you can adjust the face angle open/closed (but not loft) .. may become the tool of choice in that slot in the bag.

The "story" with this club is it was a gift from an appreciative client!

* Wedges -

I have current gen MD3 50 and 54 which I like, but at the end of the season I started wondering if I might be better off with graphite shafts in my wedges. So I picked up a set .. 50/54/58 .. of several iterations old Forged wedges off Callaway Pre-Owned, all with their Tour M75i graphite shaft, on the cheap to test out. These are old enough to pre-date face milling but since I got them well-used the faces are pretty scratched and roughed up.

I cleaned out the grooves and wire brushed off the rust, and took them to the range and onto the course for a few practice holes.

Well... I think I like them! One thing I noticed right off is you need to hit it a bit firmer with the graphite shaft, vs steel, to get the same distance. (But that may just be me.) But I felt like more of my wedge shots were going right on-line .. so these guys may be da playahs next season.

So I guess for me ... it's not the "tech", per se, it's what you can hit confidently and well ... ie. the right tool for the job at hand.

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Yes. I used to play Vokey's.

• TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Good topic. I recently went backwards and couldn't be happier. Went from 2017 M2 driver to JDM 430 SLDR. Also went from Steelhead XR Pros back to my old Adams Idea CMBs. Lastly, I'm going back to my Scratch 8620 wedges. All together the oldies are just good combos, looks, and feels for me. New tech has advantages of course, but comfort level and predictability does too. But I love my O-Works 7s and TP5 ball! Thanks for the great thread!

• Like 3

Good topic. I recently went backwards and couldn't be happier. Went from 2017 M2 driver to JDM 430 SLDR. Also went from Steelhead XR Pros back to my old Adams Idea CMBs. Lastly, I'm going back to my Scratch 8620 wedges. All together the oldies are just good combos, looks, and feels for me. New tech has advantages of course, but comfort level and predictability does too. But I love my O-Works 7s and TP5 ball! Thanks for the great thread!

Thanks.

I always was tempted to try the scratch wedges. Maybe I'll search for some on the Bay, just because[emoji4]

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I went backwards in time on my irons to Titleist 681's. I just like the feel ... but they have the perfect shafts for my convoluted swing. Love Ping Eye 2's as well but they are so fugly at address ... but what backspin they put on the ball. Tried the PXG's ... nice but no improvement on distance or direction compared to my old 681's. Still searching though ... for the Holy Grail of irons. I'll try all of them ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I went backwards in time on my irons to Titleist 681's. I just like the feel ... but they have the perfect shafts for my convoluted swing. Love Ping Eye 2's as well but they are so fugly at address ... but what backspin they put on the ball. Tried the PXG's ... nice but no improvement on distance or direction compared to my old 681's. Still searching though ... for the Holy Grail of irons. I'll try all of them ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Those 681's are some sweet irons.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Thanks.

I always was tempted to try the scratch wedges. Maybe I'll search for some on the Bay, just because[emoji4]

I'm not alone in thinking they are great. And you can pick them up pretty cheap. I'm selling a pair of 53* & 58* on ebay.

2PC- Scratch DS Forged Satin Wedge Set (53 & 58*) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322894682667

I went waaaay back from aero burners all the way back to Ping ISI , also have a set of eye 2 . For some reason they just feel better in my hand. Only thing I've upgraded were my wedges to rtx 2.0. Still have my Titleist 983k and still use it. Just not one for all the new stuff. Plus I'm not that good enough yet where the new clubs would matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The 10 or 5 year comparisons are very interesting and I have watched most of them and some other YouTube channels.  Here is my 2 cents on the Rick Shields videos. Would love to hear everyones opinions. 

1)  Overall the club manufactures gain about 1 yard a year.   Since the COR is maxed out it might be coming from the latest clubs being slightly more forgiving or better at managing spin.  

2)  Even though the latest model is "slightly" better if you find an older club that fits your swing it will be every bit as good or even better.  Rick had a couple of sleeper clubs in the test that fit his swing perfectly and were very close to the best in the bunch.  Some of these were 5 or 6 years old.  

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

The 10 or 5 year comparisons are very interesting and I have watched most of them and some other YouTube channels. Here is my 2 cents on the Rick Shields videos. Would love to hear everyones opinions.

1) Overall the club manufactures gain about 1 yard a year. Since the COR is maxed out it might be coming from the latest clubs being slightly more forgiving or better at managing spin.

2) Even though the latest model is "slightly" better if you find an older club that fits your swing it will be every bit as good or even better. Rick had a couple of sleeper clubs in the test that fit his swing perfectly and were very close to the best in the bunch. Some of these were 5 or 6 years old.

I agree on that last part: "..if it fits your swing". If you're playing something you're comfortable with, chances are pretty good you're going to have more confidence at address out on the course .. and so put a better smack onto the ball.

But if newer fits you and works for you .. why not?

I say use the right tool for the job at hand.

• Like 1

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

I agree on that last part: "..if it fits your swing". If you're playing something you're comfortable with, chances are pretty good you're going to have more confidence at address out on the course .. and so put a better smack onto the ball.

But if newer fits you and works for you .. why not?

I say use the right tool for the job at hand.

Agreed.  If you like the latest and greatest go for it.  Drivers are definitely getting better each year.  

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

It would be difficult for me to go backwards with my driver, because if I did it most likely would be made of wood.

Ha! ...and be calling it one of those colloquial Scottish things like "mashie spoon" or something...... ;-)
  • Like 3

I'm about to, but not for any playability reasons. My parents winter in Arizona and I'm taking a trip out there in January. Instead of buying a travel bag and flying with my actual clubs, I sent my parents an old set of my irons that I used to play. It will be interesting to play golf with really low expectations, no woods, and someone else's putter.

• Like 2
Driver:  PXG Proto X
3 Wood: PXG 0341x GEN2
17* Hybrid: PXG 0317x GEN2
3 Iron: Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 
4-6 Irons: Mizuno MP18 SC MMC
7-PW Irons: Mizuno MP18 SC
Wedges 51* and 56*: Ping Glide 2.0
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

I just went back to a fly z+ over the callaway epic. Same shaft in both but the fly z has been a bit more consistent and sets up better in my eyes.

As for irons I went to Miura CB 57s and have been striking it better overall but I got fitted as well.

• Like 3

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I do on occasion.  I have a set of Mizuno COMP EZ's I bag every once in awhile.

• Like 1

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock