Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Golfspy_CG2

I just went back to a fly z+ over the callaway epic. Same shaft in both but the fly z has been a bit more consistent and sets up better in my eyes.

As for irons I went to Miura CB 57s and have been striking it better overall but I got fitted as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Can't say I blame you at all for going back to those irons!!

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• 3 weeks later...

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

I've "retreated" a few times, mostly wedges. There have been a few newer wedges, that I have tried, not bought but used, and I just seem to like the ones I have better. Not a particular club or company, just a type of club.When I turned about 55 or so, everyone told me ditch the 4 and 5 iron and go hybrid. Let the fun begin. Well, I watched my partner, he was hitting hybrids, almost flawlessly with ease. I was not struggling with my long irons but he made this hybrid thing look so easy. So, I after a bit, I took the leap.  Got fitted, did research and got 2 hybrids. Went to the the range. 1 swing, 2 swing, 50 swings nothing remotely good is happening. Took the them to the course twice and nothing remotely good is happening there either.Went back to the club guy and was able to give them back for a slight loss. 5 aand 4 are still in the bag, 5 years later. Different brand but still hitting long irons.

• Like 1
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

We often ask our self, if we will be gaining anything about going from our current fairly recent driver to the newest latest models out there.   But let's turn the tables on that, have you ever gone from a newer release club of any sort  to an older model.

I know Rick Shiels has the new driver vs 5 year old driver video out that has been talked about a bit. 

But this morning, during a conversation with MDGolfHacker I told him about my two midnight Ebay purchases with much enthusiasm.  I was met with a cold bucket of water right in the face!!  He was silent for a while then said, "Why would you go backwards in technology.  You have the "latest" newest technology in in Titleist's 917 driver that is brand new.  Why would you want a G30 that is what 4 years old," I told him, I think it's more like two years turns out it's--actually not quite 3.5 yet...so we'll split the difference--hey, it's my thread so I can make up the guidelines.

But back on track, we had a conversation about my 917 driver that is about 14 months old, and told him what I had seen and heard about the G30, and also the JPX850.   You know what a rabbit hole Youtube is, you go on looking for one thing, and end up looking at half a dozen others. So I should feel fortunate, I only walked away with two.    But after watching several reviews of both drivers, I came away very intrigued.  And to be fair, I also had on course experience with a friends G30 last week that was pretty amazing, which started this whole, well let's look at this well, maybe the driver of two or three years ago is pretty good.   

So what about anyone else, is there a cluub of any sort, driver, irons, wedges or putter that you have gone backwards on to an older model.  If so, why and how did it work out?

I've "retreated" a few times, mostly wedges. There have been a few newer wedges, that I have tried, not bought but used, and I just seem to like the ones I have better. Not a particular club or company, just a type of club.When I turned about 55 or so, everyone told me ditch the 4 and 5 iron and go hybrid. Let the fun begin. Well, I watched my partner, he was hitting hybrids, almost flawlessly with ease. I was not struggling with my long irons but he made this hybrid thing look so easy. So, I after a bit, I took the leap.  Got fitted, did research and got 2 hybrids. Went to the the range. 1 swing, 2 swing, 50 swings nothing remotely good is happening. Took the them to the course twice and nothing remotely good is happening there either.Went back to the club guy and was able to give them back for a slight loss. 5 aand 4 are still in the bag, 5 years later. Different brand but still hitting long irons.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

yeah, hybrids are possibly one of them more interesting club segments out there.  For years I was like you, couldn't hit them solid to save my life regardless of which model.  Then I tried them out of pure necessity two years ago, the Titleist 816 H1 and it was like the Holy Grail.  I hit every one solid, straight and decently far enough.   They (18 and 23 degree) have become my most favorite or consistent clubs in the bag.   

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

From time to time, I bring out my ping eye 2s plus no plus irons. The wide soles help groove swing. My only knock on them are the lofts, but hey just club up and they still perform enough as I only use the briefly.

Also swap out my 60 or 64 for a Pat Simmons sand shark wedge at start, just to reacquaint myself with bunker play. As swing comes alive and drives become straighter via more practice/play it returns to its corner, remaining a lurker.

• Like 1

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*,60*

Putter: Never Compromise MIlled #4 OR Huntington Beach #2

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR TP5 

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

I'm about to, but not for any playability reasons. My parents winter in Arizona and I'm taking a trip out there in January. Instead of buying a travel bag and flying with my actual clubs, I sent my parents an old set of my irons that I used to play. It will be interesting to play golf with really low expectations, no woods, and someone else's putter.

Did this for trips down to FL to visit my Mil. The Florida bag contained an callaway FT5, Cleveland launcher titanium 3W, 3-PW Tommy Armour silver scott blades, Older TM wedges and a two older putters. No more worrying about hauling my sticks down there.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

I think technology gains differ from person to person and what they are looking to gain. I have a few things in the. At that have given me significant gains over older clubs and tested some that haven't.

For me distance is great but if it doesn't come with consistency I'm not interested. I played my 915 woods until I practically wore them out. Didn't make an upgrade until the year when a 2017 M2 finally showed an increase in distance and was as consistent as my 915. For me though it was finding the shaft that brought those gains out. The stock offering wasn't as good as my 915.

In an iron fitting the end result was I don't see any gains significant enough to warrant you spending $1000 or more on a new product. Is 2 yds really a gain? Not to me. In fact I've been rocking a set of Adams MB2's that while 6 or 7 years old feel as good as anything I've ever hit and hang right there with my 716 AP2's. I'm probably more comfortable with the MB2 and confident in the results I'm going to get so they are likely hanging around.

A lot of talk about new tech, all the yardage gains, and some great marketing to drum up sales but off the shelf stuff doesn't always generate those gains for every player and you may be better off swinging old trusty.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame that the product release cycles are so aggressive these days.

Some of the irons that get relegated to the shelf/closet/backup bag are very, very good.

I agree that - especially in the case of irons - one could easily play as well with older sets as newer sets.

I think when it comes to the other clubs in the bag - drivers, hybrids/fwy woods, putter, wedges - it is quite possible and reasonable that the new tech can help.

I think the best for me will be/is a set of GI irons and a set of 'better player' irons.  Start the season with GI to get everything synced up and grooved in and then move on to the better player.  I'd be more than happy with a set that is 3-6 years old.

As a matter of fact I might even pick up a set of the Ping Eye2.  In my searches for 'best irons ever' these are probably named more than any other iron.....if only I could find a BeCu set.  That copper is ooo-la-la...

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

It's a shame that the product release cycles are so aggressive these days.

Some of the irons that get relegated to the shelf/closet/backup bag are very, very good.

I agree that - especially in the case of irons - one could easily play as well with older sets as newer sets.

I think when it comes to the other clubs in the bag - drivers, hybrids/fwy woods, putter, wedges - it is quite possible and reasonable that the new tech can help.

I think the best for me will be/is a set of GI irons and a set of 'better player' irons. Start the season with GI to get everything synced up and grooved in and then move on to the better player. I'd be more than happy with a set that is 3-6 years old.

As a matter of fact I might even pick up a set of the Ping Eye2. In my searches for 'best irons ever' these are probably named more than any other iron.....if only I could find a BeCu set. That copper is ooo-la-la...

I think this every time I get whooped by an older guy & his ol clubs w/worn out grips. Lol
  • Like 3

As you can see from my signature, everything I game is pretty old. The G20 3 wood needs to compete against a TEE XCG6 that I pound but cannot keep on the planet and an old Big Bertha S2H2 that is short but automatic. I've thought about keeping it in the bag, since it's really a 4 wood by today's specs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 4 months later...

Outside of the driver everything else currently in my bag is from '16 (irons that replaced a '17 model; a 4W) or '15 (hybrid, wedges) and '14 (wedge shafts .. plan on keeping those for a while).

Oh, not sure what year the putter was - bought it used in the Classifieds.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..MLA Tour XDream (33", +2up, 400g, P2 Reflex Tour)
.. .. see MLA Offical Forum Member Reviews (..on the bench: Evnroll ER5)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Interesting thread as I've pondered this very thing recently. I was looking at going to 2016 m2 driver which I loved and had in the bag for most of 2016 once I came off the hype train on some other brands. I replaced it with the 917. At times I ponder the Bridgestone j715 as that was a great driver for me and was the first driver to knock my g25 out of the bag

Before getting fit into the g400 I had the m2 in my cart and another cart had the shaft I was going to pair with it. I ended up going g400 route.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

....since I buy most of my stuff used I always go "backwards"... how far 'back' is the question.

I just picked up a set of Wilson FG tour F5 irons from 2016...  I sold my Mizuno MP53's to pay for them.  Me and those Mizzy's didn't get along too well even though they were one of the more highly rated MP models.

I have no problem going back and, as a matter of fact, I'd love to pick up a cheap set of Ping Eye 2.  Some guys are still playing them and others have sworn that they are some of the best irons they've ever hit.

I was recently fit for my driver so I don't see me changing that anytime soon....unless things go south in a hurry.  :)

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

I went backwards on my irons. Had a set of Nike vapor pro blades and went back to a set of Cleveland 588 cb/mb irons. The Cleveland's feel sooooo much better.

I went backwards on my irons. Had a set of Nike vapor pro blades and went back to a set of Cleveland 588 cb/mb irons. The Cleveland's feel sooooo much better.

To me irons are definitely the easiest to go “back” with. Just have to find something with the offset top line and turf interaction you want and you're good to go! Woods I know I'm going back too much on tech and wedges are hard to find that aren't already worn out groove wise.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go back 20 years with my driver as new drivers have pretty much maxed out the tech IMO but I don't have any problem going back a few years in irons.  I bought a set of Titleist DCI 962's when I was in Calgary in the spring so I had something to hit in the dome for a couple of weeks and hit them as well as anything else I own.   I'll regrip them and game them when I go back out in August for a couple of weeks.  I bought a set of 10 year old Wilson Di-7's over the winter back home in Windsor, Ontario, regripped them and they are my "new" irons for this year and I hit them extremely well.   

Just as an aside, I watched a video on YT last night.  Peter Finch picked up a bunch of used clubs at a charity shop for 25 quid and gamed them for 9 holes.  He was 3 under after 3 and I think he parred out the rest of the way.  Interesting little experiment. 

• Like 1

Well at the time (of the R15) I had a bit more of swing speed than I do now, not tour level but mid to upper 90's as opposed to right around 90 now. But I did try the Aeroburner and just never loved it for some reason. I hit a M2 (2016) at a couple demo days and did "ok" but my most common driver miss tends to be low on the heel, and we all know that is where the M2 performed worst of just bout any driver it compared to. By that time, i believe I had moved onto the Wilson D300 and Bridgestone J815 and stuck with those for a while.

A few years ago I'd tried the AeroBurner mini driver and hybrids .. felt to me like they were heavily draw-biased.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..MLA Tour XDream (33", +2up, 400g, P2 Reflex Tour)
.. .. see MLA Offical Forum Member Reviews (..on the bench: Evnroll ER5)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

I understand upgrading the woods from time to time but if you are playing anything less than maximum GI irons then there is nothing to gain other than being fitted better. If you play forgings literally ANYTHING can be good. Just get them fitted with the correct shaft. The DG X100/S300/R300 are still some of the most popular shafts out there which shows steel shafts haven't made any material improvements in a while.

Can someone tell me why I need to hit an iron farther? Didn't think so, because the only thing that matters with irons is consistency.

I remember the Nickent commercial from the early 2000s showing an older gent hitting a par 3. His friends asked him if he used a 6 and he said "no" and showed them a 7 iron and they all were impressed. How pointless.

Sorry about the diatribe but changing irons to gain distance is illogical. If you can improve consistency or ball flight then it makes sense but that is not necessarily due to any changes in technology or new clubs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I went from Mizuno MP62 to MP33's once. I also went from JPX EZ Forged to MP64. I had intended to go to the MP H5's but decided on hybrids instead of the hollow body irons, and the MP64's had the lofts and forgiveness I needed.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated