Golfspy_CG2

Have You Ever Gone Backwards in Club Models?

Cobra Fly Z+ just went back in the bag. Been a struggle and should just go take a lesson to help with my driving, but in the mean time the trusty blue fly z is going back in the bag replacing the epic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I dug my Dad's old Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades out of the basement and cleaned them up and I'm taking them in for new grips tomorrow.  I think they are circa 1982ish.  I played with them up until just a few years ago but they haven't left the basement since I got my first set of GI clubs.  It's not hard to see why they are called blades though. I think if I dropped a piece of cooked meat on the top of the 4 iron it would definitely slice in half.  I'd forgotten how really thin they were.   The lofts look pretty weak.  I'll have the fitter check them for me but I suspect the 7 iron is closer to 36-38 degrees although that's just by eyeballing it.  That means I'd lose a club and a half to my current set all else the same, so likely 2 clubs.  Translated that means a 130 yard 7 iron :D .  Truth be told I can't wait to get them to the range and tackle the challenge of hitting them.   If I hit them well enough I'll probably game them on a shorter course or the local par 3 although it has a couple of holes in the 170-190 range I might have a hard time reaching.

• Like 2

Great thread!

Does a constant 2-3 year lag in technology count?

Or in my case 2 decades.  I'm definitely not going back to my GBB that is for sure  :)

• Like 1

Ping Eye2+ -> Ping ISI BeCu -> Ping i3 -> Ping i5 -> other brand -> Ping G25 <- Ping i20 -> other brand <- Ping Eye2+no+ -> Ping ISI BeNi -> other brand -> Ping G

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Ping Eye2+ -> Ping ISI BeCu -> Ping i3 -> Ping i5 -> other brand -> Ping G25 <- Ping i20 -> other brand <- Ping Eye2+no+ -> Ping ISI BeNi -> other brand -> Ping G

Wow ... What a long, strange trip it's been... 😉

Yes.....last month. I wasn’t playing very well with my Cobra F8’s, so I reached back in time and started playing my 10 yr old PowerBilt driver, fairways and irons. All of them are nitrogen infused. Played well with for a month, just to shake things up. Cashed a few times in our local games then switched back to the Cobra’s and garnered 2nd Place yesterday ($105) !

Sometimes it is good to switch the bag up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Cashed a few times in our local games then switched back to the Cobra’s and garnered 2nd Place yesterday ($105) !

Nothing like fleecing your buddies. LOL

That's my game. Love it!

• Like 1

Yes. I've been back and forth several times over the years when my wife and I were first getting started with our careers. There were a couple of times where money would get tight and I'd sell off my clubs to help us get by for a little bit or something. More recently I swapped the Nike Vapor Pro Driver and Vapor Flex 3 Wood (both 2015 models) for older clubs. The G25 came out in 2013 and of course the 906F2 was released in 2006. On average, I'm getting better numbers and more consistency with both clubs.

• Like 1

For a while I went back a ways with my driver and bagged a Ping K15 when the Ping G30 SFT first came out. It was decent enough (I sold my initial one then went back and bought another maybe 6 months later) but I could never get comfortable with how light the head was. 

I have gone back to the SLDR and my old Adams hybrids. I try something new and have a great honeymoon but then real life sets in and I miss the good old days :) And I won't even consider a new three metal - I have a tour issue RBZ that is so good - I just KNOW I'm going to hit it well, you know?

It's funny this thread ongoing since '17 - it really is a great topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

using a 16 year old 4 wood. Also gone back to a 14 yr old Ping Anser 2 putter.

Driver is 7 years old, Hybrid is 7 yrs old

/think I'm living in the past 😂

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, Charli said:

Went from r9 tp irons to taylmade m2 irons. 

After my beginner set of Top Flites,I had a set of R9s .. gave them away to a friend's kid, and from time to time I think .. man I shudda kept them and still be playing them......

• Like 1

Yeah maybe one day I’ll go back. I learned how to golf with them. Probably not the greatest starting iron but they were free. 

On 2/7/2019 at 6:00 AM, russtopherb said:

For a while I went back a ways with my driver and bagged a Ping K15 when the Ping G30 SFT first came out. It was decent enough (I sold my initial one then went back and bought another maybe 6 months later) but I could never get comfortable with how light the head was. 

I have a K15 driver that I break out when I can't find fairways. Might be the easiest driver I ever hit.

• Like 1

I have a Taylormade Burner 2007 5 wood that I just cant replace. I've tried hybrids, utility irons and other fairway wood but this thing is a performer. 

I upgrade every club (driver, irons, putter, wedges, hybrid) in my bag at least every year or every other year.  Except for my 7 wood.  a 21* Ping G10 fairway wood.

I got it new when it came out.  9 years now?  Something ridiculous like that. 

My spider Ghost was almost as old before I replaced it a year ago with a Scotty 6M. 

Yep!   Finicky like a cat when it comes to golf clubs.   Never satisfied and always looking for a white light experience.  That's me and if you know of an GCA meeting in the local area, sign me up.... 😉

I reached back into my garage and decided to play my 10 yr old Powerbilt woods & irons. Why? Normally the winter is dry but this year everything was wet. So I decided to play irons with wider soles. Put the Arccos sensors in the grips and played them for a month.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AceInMySleeve

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Do you remember when Baby Got Back and End of the Road topped the billboard charts? If so,  then you will remember when Lynx irons won a couple Major Championships in the early 90's with Fred Couples and Erine Els, and that the cat symbol was one of the coolest logos in golf. If you don't remember those songs...well there is always google!!!  
      LYNX disappeared from the mainstream for quite a while---you can read about LYNX announcing it's return to the US last year in this as usual great piece by John Barba The Cat is Back   
      So what does this mean for the forum.....a great testing opportunity as usual.   Lynx is providing 4 sets of the Prowler VT and 4 sets of the Black Cat irons for you to test, review and keep.    Not sure which one fits your game, take a few moments and check them out on the website--at the time this was posted the site is undergoing some maintenance, but you should still be able to see which model interests you.  
      Lynx Golf

Four Prowler VT Sets To Be Tested

Four Black Cat Sets To Be Tested

HOW TO APPLY
      This testing is open to any right hand golfer who lives in the US or UK 
      Follow the below instructions and please DO NOT quote this post when applying.  Just created a new post
      Name/City State or City Country
      Handicap
      Current Iron Model Played
      Which would you like to test  Prowler VT or Black Cat 
      We'll be choosing the testers late next week, so check back to see if you have been chosen.  
      Good Luck!!
      =========
      A T T E N T I O N fellow spies...
      Congratulations to the following spies who will be testing these and a huge shout out to Lynx for being so generous with 8 sets of irons for our members to test!
      Black Cats:
      @knightsofnii
      @JimNantzsToast
      @kardboard.kid
      @daviddvm
      Prowler VT:
      @Jmikecpa
      @Judge Smails
      @blackngold_blood
      @azstu324

For the official post click here -->
       https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/31869-testers-wanted-8-lynx-black-cat-and-prowler-vt-irons/?do=findComment&comment=545520

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Follow our three testers of the Tour Edge EXS Driver as they bring you all the details and performance of this under the radar driver.  Will it perform for them, does it sound like a driver that would fit your game?  They will leave no stone un-turned or ball un-hit in the effort to bring you a in depth and fully unbiased review of the driver.
      They will start with their Stage Ones which give you a good look at the brand new driver and tell you about their games.   While they are putting the driver in play over the next month to six weeks, they will update this thread with their thoughts and be available to answer any questions the community may have.  So fire away with anything you want to know about the Tour Edge EXS!

@Badams69                                         Stage 1                                       Stage 2
      @03trdblack                                          Stage 1                                          Stage 2
      @ZJBogey2                                            Stage 1                                       Stage 2
    • By Ryan Pb
      Have been going through a complete overhaul of my bag the last 2 seasons. 
      Have upgraded Driver, 3 wood (both Cobra)
      irons just this year with some custom fit M5s
      now looking to upgrade wedges and putters
      Im about a 13 handicap. But have been always been a better than average putter. 
      Looking for a new Blade style putter. Read the recent testing review article but just wanted to see if anyone had any personal recommendations or feed back. 
      Wedges I am open to anything although I have been playing with a 56 and 60 degree last few years. 
      Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. 
    • By Djnz
      Hi All.
      First off let me say I am a new member 🙂 This site was recommended to be my a member at  my golf club (Templeton Golf Club) and I must say it has been a wealth of knowledge.
      So in saying that here is a shout out to NunfaO bloody good bugger for a lefty 😉
      Right so anyway! I was using an older Odyssey 7 putter when our local pro noticed that my swing was not very consistent hence why I was leaving putts short or hitting them 6 feet past....so we worked together to change my putting stroke.
      Honestly this was the best and worst thing to go through but once I got comfortable with the new path and grip change it felt amazing. However my Odyssey 7 putter on the other hand felt like a foreign object and I could not hole anything over 2 feet.
      This is when I discovered the Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 and man it was love at first sight! Let's just say the wife is lucky I do not put this putter between us at night 😉
      Here is some putter info:
      Multi-material Stroke Lab Shaft for Innovative Weight Distribution
      Tip-heavy graphite and steel shaft saves 40 grams* that’s relocated into each end of the putter to change performance dynamics.
      Slightly Stiffer and Lower Torque for Increased Control
      The Stroke Lab shaft is slightly stiffer and lower torque compared to standard putter shafts for to better control the slightly heavier head.
      Sole Weights and Grip Weight for a Smooth and Accurate Stroke
      Additional weight in the sole and butt-end of the grip change the putter’s dynamics to help golfers consistently repeat a smoother and more accurate stroke.
      White Hot Microhinge Face Insert for a Great Feel and Smooth Roll
      Combines legendary White Hot feel with dozens of microhinges embedded across the face that promote topspin for smooth roll and acute distance control.
      This putter gives me 100% confidence when facing any putt. A combination of the blade style, sole weights and my adjusted swing path has meant my average putts per round has dropped so I am super happy. If you are in the market for a new putter I honestly suggest you trying out one of these bad girls (Her name is Erin Lol)

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Testers Announced!
      Odyssey claims its new Stroke Lab shaft will improve your putting stroke. Who will be putting that claim to the test?
      @MaxEntropy @Berg Ryman @Apolloshowl @juspoole Join me in congratulating our reviewers!

TESTERS WANTED (4)
      So you think the importance of shaft design is only important to drivers.   Well the engineers at Odyssey Golf among some of the best and brightest minds in the business want to show you otherwise.   For years counterbalancing has been a big buzz word in the world of putter shafts.   Well the new Stroke Lab putters by Odyssey Golf aren't just counterbalanced, they take weight shifting to a whole new level or should I say end.
      As in redistributing 40 percent of the weight from the middle of the shaft into the butt and head end of the shaft.  The results show that you will make a much more consistent stroke with Stroke Lab than with the standard putter shaft.
      Don't believe it?  We're going to give you...well four of you a chance to prove it to yourself and the rest of the forum.

How to Apply
      This is important, so please follow these instructions carefully:

1. If you haven't already, make sure you're a registered MyGolfSpy Forum member
      2. In this thread (and ONLY in this thread - please don't go back to the blog and apply - it won't do you any good!), tell us the following:

- Your first name
      - State
      - Your current model of putter
      - Is putting a strength or weakness of your game

This review opportunity is open to any golfer who resides in the US or Canada.  We'll be announcing the testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back. 

Please do not 'quote' this post when applying...
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!