TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shot Scope V2.0

ddryan

Greetings and welcome to my first attempt at reviewing a new product.  I purchased the Shot Scope V2.0 (https://shotscope.com ) wrist worn integrated GPS and shot tracking system after reading some good gouge here on MGS about it. 
 watch.png

I have friends who have used ARCCOS and watch them carry their phone in their front pockets, making it uncomfortable to swing (I personally don't like anything in my pockets except tees, a divot tool and a spare golf ball in my front pocket, scorecard and yardage book in my back pocket). 

A little about me.  I am a walker, I like to carry my bag, and have used pace count for as long as I have been playing serious golf as an adult - probably due in part to my years as an Infantry Officer, walking became part of my job, and knowing where I was constituted a vital part of the profession.

I jumped in early on the opportunity- there was a $50 discount on "pre-orders" with an anticipated ship date of September.  I also spoke to several of my buddies who have used other tracking systems and one decided to jump in and invest in the V2 as well.  So far, so good.

I purchased the V2 in August, in anticipation of the late September delivery.  Unfortunately the company had some Quality Control issues, and needed to delay shipment until mid October.  This was relayed to me and all the pre-order customers via email.  The email support thus far has been very good, very timely and very professional.  Here is a copy of what they wrote to explain the QC issue...

"This is not the email we were expecting to send out today and we apologize profusely. Your final payment email was scheduled to be sent at 5pm this evening. Unfortunately, we have had to pause this following a development at our manufacturing facility this afternoon.

We have manufactured all V2 bands and the digitally printed screens were delivered to our manufacturing partners at 1pm BST today. This is the last process on the manufacturing line before the product is shipped. Unfortunately, on receipt of these screens it became apparent that these were not of the quality required and therefore none of the screens are fit for use. We have enclosed an image of manufactured bands and an example of the screen quality which we received this afternoon.

The team are now working to rectify the screen issue so that the bands can be completed and shipped. We expect to complete all pre-ordered Shot Scope V2s in four weeks, dispatching your order on the 10th of November. Emails containing full payment details will be sent on the 1st of November, allowing maximum time to finalize payment and shipping details before we ship on the 10th. It is completely understandable that there will be a lot of frustration and disappointment. We are devastated to have to further delay the shipment of your order and want to thank you for your support thus far. From all of the Shot Scope team, we are truly sorry that we have had to disappoint you.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to the support team who will be working late tonight and over the weekend to ensure your questions are answered as quickly as possible. From all of us, our deepest apologies and most sincere thanks for your patience and belief in what we have built,

David Hunter, CEO, and everyone at Team Shot Scope"

This was not good news for me, as I wanted to take the V2 on a trip to Pinehurst.  Oh well...

The device arrived the week after my Pinehurst trip- Here is what I received.

(package image)

The V2 is not an intuitive device. I should have read more, or watched the videos regarding process, but alas, I am like many of my male caveman brothers- loath to read instructions or ask directions- caveman.jpg (you know who you are...)

I installed the club identifiers into each of my 14 clubs, and planned on using it to play on Sunday. Luckily I took the device out on Saturday to the range just to update the time and date (quick start guide mentioned that the V2 would automatically adjust time, date and the like upon first connecting with the GPS satellites). It did, but I could not sync the device to my phone, so after my range time, I returned home and plugged it in to my computer. I logged on to the website Dashboard dashboard.png, where your statistics will be maintained, and found out that you must first download the courses that you intend to play (takes a few moments) and then sync your "Dashboard" to the V2 to download the courses onto the device.

I arrived early on Sunday and turned on the device. It acquired the satellites rather quickly and immediately went to course choice (we have three 9 hole tracks, Red, White, and Blue, which you play in sequence R-W, W-B, or B-R. I selected the course I was scheduled to play, and the tracker immediately went to hole #1- great, but I am still on the range. Again, caveman style, I tried to turn the device off, pushing a series of buttons (there are three on the left side, two on the right side of the V2) with no joy.

It was not until I was finished the first 9 that I learned the middle left button is the "mode" button! Anyway, not wanting to record my work on the range as a round, I placed the V2 on my bag, with enough distance from my swing to (hopefully) not trigger a swing recorded.

Turns out the V2 has three operational modes; GPS, PRO and GPS+Track to suit different playing environments. Whether you are playing a social game with your friends, a practice round or a tournament, Shot Scope V2 helps you get the most from every round.

MODES
The first is GPS-Tracking, which is the designed to provide GPS locations to the front, middle and back of the green from wherever you are on the course. This mode also tracks every shot with patented "ClubSense" technology which recognizes practice swings from actual ball strikes, and knows the club based on the club sensor tag at the base of the grip.

The second mode - GPS, provides distance information, but does not record shots- and can be used during scrambles or other modified games where you may not complete each hole individually.

The third mode - Pro, offers the ability to track your shots thru ClubSense, but will not display distance information. This mode is for use when competing in matches where devices which measure distance are prohibited.

When we tee'd off, GPS ranges were accurate (I know the courses very well, having played at my home course for nearly 13 years, and having used both pace count and a Bushnell GPS watch in the past).

I swung the club, made the shot and moved forward, hoping the shot was tracked. Upon arriving on the green, the Putt capture feature appears on the screen. The proper way of using this feature is to record all putts (both on and off the green) and when truly holed, hold the V2 over the cup and press the button associated with the number of putts required (0 - 4).

This putting process is both cumbersome and, in my case, prone to be forgotten. I am trying to play "ready golf" and once holed I am used to picking up the flag or moving off the green and getting ready to pick up my bag and move to the next hole. I found myself running back to the hole to click the proper number of putts over the hole on more than a few occasions. (Note to self, get in habit of picking up flag every time, thereby requiring you to be over the cup as you replace the pin- thereby fulfilling your duty to input number of putts over the hole.)

All things were good thru the first 9 holes. The Mode button allows the ability to record penalty shots (one drawn over the lateral hazard on a drive, etc) and is used to exit the current course, while still recording the round.

As you move toward the next tee box, the V2 will jump to the next hole, as any normal GPS range tracker does.  Now, because of the particulars of my home course - we have three 9 hole tracks, Red, White, and Blue, and you play them in that order.  If you begin on Blue, you rotate to Red, and so forth.  So coming off Red 9 on Sunday morning, I was going to have to change the course on the V2 for the next 9 holes (White ).

Advancing from caveman to semi- competent operator, I used the middle left button to change mode to exit course- at which point you are prompted to save the data, and then, again using the middle left "mode" button, I returned the V2 to the GPS-Tracker mode which causes the V2 device to seek out the satellites again, and recognize the course (in this case the  back 9 - our White 9).  So began my back 9.

The first significant discrepancy I noticed on the GPS distance came on the last hole.  White 9 is a 297 yard par 4, but the V2 was reading 402 yards.  I drove my tee shot about 230 downhill to about 70 yards, shot a lob wedge to just off the back of the green, chipped and putted for a par.  The V2 was still having difficulty on the green, but I used the putt tracker, exited and saved the round, in hopes to view on my smart phone.

The V2 has Bluetooth technology to allow the device to sync with either your smart phone or on a computer.  Alas, the device would not sync.  I did not want to mess with it in the parking lot, so headed into the club for lunch and would deal with it at home.

I returned home, plugged the device in and again the device would not sync.  My dashboard did not recognize that I had played a round.  Disappointed but not the end of the world.

Aftermath of the first round:
Today I had some time to send a note to Shotscope, to discuss my concerns about the round not being recorded (could well have been operator error), the wrong yardage on white 9, and the fact that after a 3 hour 40 minute round the battery was almost down to 1/4 power- doubtful if I could have gotten another 9 in without it failing.  I also suggested that the software be upgraded such that distances to hazards, end of fairway, and bunkers could also be found.

Within an hour I had the following response from Gavin at Shot Scope Support

"Hello Timothy, 

Thank you for your email. 

Don't worry your round was recorded, we had a server malfunction over the weekend (our first in 3 years) but I have your data. There is a course issue which is being resolved and then I will have it uploaded. 

Regarding your GPS, I will look into that and see if I can figure it out. Could you let me know if it happens again. 

The distances to hazards package will be added via a firmware update in the early part of next year. 

The battery charge is an issue we are looking at, we will have a firmware update which will make some improvements and our engineers have some further battery optimization work over the next month or two as well. 

Hopefully that explains everything and I will have your data in your account by tomorrow. 

Best regards, 

Gavin

Needless to say I was very happy with the outstanding customer service and the professional manner in which my issues were addressed.  I thanked Gavin and asked about a course that I requested to be mapped for a trip coming up in February of next year.  They were already working it and usual turn around is about 3 days. 

So, initial impressions of the device-

GPS worked very well, and although the watch is initially somewhat larger than I expected, it did not give me any issues.  I hardly noticed it, and as such forgot to do the putt tracker process on several greens - again, this is an operator issue, and not a device issue.

I think the battery issue could be a challenge.  I hope that Gavin and the team will work through the issue because, unfortunately, I have played in some rounds that last well beyond our 3:40 mark.

There is a feature that allows skipped holes- you use the bottom left or right button depending on whether you are going forward or backward- and you can skip a hole.  I will discuss that later in the review.

Finally, I was asked about putting the sensors into the end of the club grips.  As I mentioned to STUD, I only had an issue with two, one because there was a hunk of plastic stuck into the butt end of the metal shaft- I re-gripped the club and during the process I removed the plastic.  The other was my putter, which has an oversized grip.  I got it in and they all seem to stay, flat and unremarkable on the butt end of the club.  No apparent issues here.

My First Round

Screenshot-2017-12-6 Rounds Overview - Shot Scope.png

It took about 3 minutes for me to comprehend my "Dashboard."  This is the secure site on Shotscope.com where you log in to see statistics, track each shot around the course, and then display the results in any number of ways.  But there was a problem.  Some of the shots - in this case two minor chips - AKA chilli dips - were not recorded.  Never fear, because you can edit your shots, hole by hole!  Very simple to do- click and drag technology, add a shot, add a penalty or ball lost or in water- very simple, even for a caveman like me.

I had my scorecard, made a few adjustments (and added the two dropped shots, one penalty and a few additional putts in less than 15 minutes) and Voila! 

My Statistics

Screenshot-2017-12-6 Tee Shots - Shot Scope.png

This is one of six different ways the data is displayed.

Clubs

Tee shots

Approaches

Short Game

Putting

Personal Records

As I progress and gather more data (one round does not make for particularly interesting reading)  I will post more, and continue my evaluation. 

Suffice to say that right now I am very happy, both  with the device, and that I am still trainable!!  Moreover, the customer service response has been nothing short of exceptional.  I am all about customer service, and appreciate it when I see it.  Shot Scope has it going on, and I am very happy about that.

More to follow after my -  next round!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Great review!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Great intro, thx! Been intrigued by this device, and of course there's a learning curve with any new tech gadget .. so curious how well and how quickly you get used to it.

Also curious as to the club tags and how well they stay in after a few rounds.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Great intro, thx! Been intrigued by this device, and of course there's a learning curve with any new tech gadget .. so curious how well and how quickly you get used to it.

Also curious as to the club tags and how well they stay in after a few rounds.

Will let you know.  I had a few moments so began by stream of consciousness writing- when I get home this evening I will better organize my thoughts and give you the first review of data collected from my first round...

Of course,  I will continue the updates thru more continuous use and let you know if it really helps (i.e. tells me I what I should be working on.. and hopefully will figure out where I get that time to practice HAHAHA!!!)

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

Awesome start Drew. Looks like you've got some throne reading to do to catch up to the instructions. I really wanna see your data once it starts tracking. Since I love to ask questions, here's a few I've got for you:

I remember DLK had a comment in his review about the screw threads for the tags being too aggressive to ensure the tag would fit flush to the grip. Do you think they've fixed that issue or are the tags still difficult to install evenly?

How big is the watch? The V1 looked like a house arrest tag. Since you're not used to playing with one, do you find it bothersome?

Since your course has 3 nines, do you have to tell it which you're playing that day?

Lastly, not sure if you've gotten this far yet, but does the app seem to be well made? Can you edit your round with the app? The reviewers from V1 said you could only edit your round on the desktop site. That would be problematic for me as I barely use my home PC.

Great start! I've got this one on my radar for spring so I'm excited to see what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Awesome start Drew. Looks like you've got some throne reading to do to catch up to the instructions (YES, probably would have been a good idea beforehand, but you know the old dog and new tricks!). I really wanna see your data once it starts tracking. Since I love to ask questions, here's a few I've got for you:

I remember DLK had a comment in his review about the screw threads for the tags being too aggressive to ensure the tag would fit flush to the grip. Do you think they've fixed that issue or are the tags still difficult to install evenly?  Only had a problem with two - one because there was  plastic cap under the grip that prevented me from screwing the tab in - I changed the grip (needed it anyway), drilled the plastic piece out, and all is well.  The Putter didn't initially sit flush, but has since settled in nicely.  Don't notice them unless I am looking at them.

How big is the watch? The V1 looked like a house arrest tag. Since you're not used to playing with one, do you find it bothersome?  Well, at first it looked  a bit cumbersome.  It is large, and the band is bass-ackwards - meaning the loose end comes toward (not away) from you, and the hasp is under your wrist going away.  took a while to figure that out, but no issue overall.  I will post pictures later this evening, after I get back from the gym.  The size is a bit larger than my Bushnell GPS, but it is easy to read without glasses, which is good.  Once on, I did not notice it.

Since your course has 3 nines, do you have to tell it which you're playing that day?  Yes- after nine, you exit the playing mode (which saves the round so far) and choose a new course and select that to play.

Lastly, not sure if you've gotten this far yet, but does the app seem to be well made? Can you edit your round with the app? The reviewers from V1 said you could only edit your round on the desktop site. That would be problematic for me as I barely use my home PC.  I don't know if you can edit from the app.  I will be using my PC almost exclusively, because I am more comfortable that way.  I spend most of my day in front of a computer screen, why not a few hours more.  The data briefly looked at from the first round appeared to be there, editing seems straight forward, but all this I will let you know of as I move forward this evening with the next section of my review.

Great start! I've got this one on my radar for spring so I'm excited to see what you think.

Q1 Yes, probably would have been a good idea beforehand, but you know the old dog and new tricks!

Q2 Only had a problem with two - one because there was  plastic cap under the grip that prevented me from screwing the tab in - I changed the grip (needed it anyway), drilled the plastic piece out, and all is well.  The Putter didn't initially sit flush, but has since settled in nicely.  Don't notice them unless I am looking at them.

Q3 Yes- after nine, you exit the playing mode (which saves the round so far) and choose a new course and select that to play.

Q4 I don't know if you can edit from the app.  I will be using my PC almost exclusively, because I am more comfortable that way.  I spend most of my day in front of a computer screen, why not a few hours more.  The data briefly looked at from the first round appeared to be there, editing seems straight forward, but all this I will let you know of as I move forward this evening with the next section of my review.

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Please see the updated review- more data and some screenshots!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Results after Round 2.

CGGolfer, STUDque and I stole a day on Sunday in December, getting a round in after a Friday evening snowstorm...  and the results were tracked on my Shotscope 2.0. 

MDGolfHacker was on the practice range (and took those wonderful images (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14225-pamdvadcwvnjny-meet-up/?p=352306)- and did a bit of heckling on the second green, but was unable to join us due to family commitments - good on you MDGH!!) but he asked about the Shotscope size.  While appearing a bit clunky and big on my wrist, it is not noticeable at all while playing.  The only caveats are that that the watch band is a bit funky- seemingly backwards toward what most watches are- the running end of the band (one without the buckle) comes toward (and not away) from you if you wear it on your left hand; and that the buckle tab is bent  (see photos), presumably so it will sit flat on your wrist, and the loose end has a button to push back into an open tab slot, again to sit flat.  I think future iterations might consider a different band, or at least offer different choices...

From an Information Technology perspective, first, and foremost, the software upgrades that the company has provided (pushed to the unit during the synchronization period) have improved battery life and speed of re-charging- both good.  There are more in the offing, including an option for showing distance to fairway hazards, bunkers and water, scheduled for a release in the early part of 2018- cant wait.  

Second, the system tracks clubs, shots, distances and putts (putts do require manual input - more on that in a moment) during your round without any requirement for additional interaction - you don't have to carry a phone in your pocket, don't need to touch the butt end of the club to a tag on your belt.  The tag on each club ( a small tab which screws into the butt end of the grip for each club) registers the club to the watch without further interaction, and can understand the difference between a practice swing and the real shot.

Third, the download, once back at home, is as simple as plugging the watch in, synch'ing the watch with your computer or smartphone (I have not done the smart phone process yet) takes all of about 3 minutes to download, and your results are displayed on your Dashboard, including metrics, immediately after the download.

Although I only have two rounds currently in the dashboard, you can separate your rounds by year, by individual course or by any number of other variables.  This allows you a critical look at the data you generated during your round, and assess your progress (or regression...)

So far, so good.  Here are some thoughts I had as I downloaded and then edited my data to properly reflect my round.

First, there were two holes which had extraneous data (extra shots recorded.)  The one occurred when I walked by my drive (in the fairway) to aid a playing partner in locating his ball.  I was digging in some tall grass adjacent to a water hazard with my 7 iron (snake-charmer- although probably not an issue with the weather in the low 40's (Fahrenheit), and probably my digging and swinging was recognized by the tracker as a recordable swing- The other was a post 'chili-dip' swat at the ground in disgust with the club, also recognized as a recordable swing.

Conveniently, you can edit, add (or subtract) shots that may have been mis-recorded, or missed  by the tracker.  So, shooting an 88 including a penalty, results in an error rate of .0227- which is more than acceptable for me.  Plus, the Dashboard is very intuitive (much more so than the watch itself) and you can edit, location, adjust club selection and much more on the Dashboard before finally saving and recording your edited round.

One of the biggest challenges  I face is the "Putting interface" which requires you to stand with the watch (your wrist) over the hole as you input your total number of putts (the options are 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4) - this includes strokes with the putter both on and off the putting surface-.  I often forget to input the "Number of Putts" while over the hole, and find myself jogging back to the hole to record the putting strokes after I have already walked off the green- but I am sure it will become more of a habit as the rounds go on.  The dashboard provides the opportunity to adjust the number of putts when reviewing your round, but the pin location and "total distance of putts" will be less accurate if you fail to do it when on the green at the time of your actual holing the putt.

The big lesson from my second round was it helped me catch an error- I played the 18th hole well, and made a nice chip and one-putted from a decent distance.  Happy with the way I played the hole, and not thinking as we were laughing about stealing a day from normal December weather and shaking hands, I though nothing of the hole, and  recorded a 4 on my card.

When I got home and downloaded the round, made the adjustments to the scorecard (removing the 2 extra shots which the watch had recorded and adjusted a few putts where I forgot to record the number of putts over the hole) I found a discrepancy of one stroke.  For the back 9 I had recorded a very satisfying 38, however the Shotscope had me at 39.....  As I compared the hole by hole numbers, I realized that the 18th was, in fact, a par 5, and my chip and one- putt had, in fact, been a 5.  I had incorrectly recorded a 4 thinking it was a par 4.  Glad it was a friendly and not a serious competition... - Oh, and I did text my playing partners and apologized for the error- I am sure I will have to buy the next round of adult beverages... but that is another story for another time...

Next round I will attempt to download onto my smart phone via Bluetooth...MTF...

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

I have had some time to both play a few rounds, and look at my results on the Shotscope2.0.  Overall, I am very pleased with the product.  It is easy to use, captures the strokes you make, and the dashboard product (which records your rounds, shot by shot, along with an overlay on top of a GPS enabled map on your laptop computer) is a very good tool for reviewing your round. 

I recommended the product for a golfing buddy of mine, and, frankly, I was a little concerned after the first round, but as we both became more skilled with the product, and more used to how it operates, I have become even more of a fan, as has he.  It is not as intuitive as some devices (think Iphone) but certainly not as difficult as learning to drive ( a car or golf ball!!!)

Here are my more specific thoughts about the ShotScope 2.0

Great product that does exactly what it claims it does- captures and tracks your shots, records your rounds and provides individual round and annual assessments on your game, allowing you to identify and practice on your weak areas, to get value out of your practice.

The ShotScope support team are as close as an email, and while they strive to answer emails within 48 hours, I have almost always received a return email within 12 hours or less.  That does not mean the issue is resolved, but I know they are looking at the issue.

There have been a few hiccups on the way- first, at my home course, (clearly they mapped via commercially available GPS imagery) they made a minor mistake, erroneously marking the putting green as White 9 (we have three 9 hole courses - Red, White, and Blue), so GPS distance on White 9 is off.  I have identified this and the technician who will fix this problem emailed me and thanked me for identifying the issue and said it would be resolved.

I mentioned the time (drawn from overhead satellites) which currently displays Greenwich Mean Time, vice the local time, which the technician assured will be resolved  in the next software update.

Similarly I mentioned the fact that currently the display only includes distance to front, middle and back of green.  This is great, especially considering it is variable based on where  you are approaching from, however I would like to have information on hazards (bunkers, water hazards, OB, etc, and distance to runout into the rough thru the fairway.  These,  I am told, are also planned for the next software update.

I have a difficult time remembering to tap the button to "capture the "Pin Collect" putt counting process, and often walk off the green before remembering.  Once again, this is not an issue, as you can review and  revise this once you download the round to your computer.  Editing this information on the Dashboard is, in fact, very intuitive and actually quite a bit of fun!  You not only get a chance to re-live the round, but make sure that what the Shotscope thinks you hit is correct (I have occasionally had a mis-reading or extra swing counted- only rarely is it a "Mulligan").  The device provides accurate feedback, and helps you realize what your club distances are.  Frankly, it is a bit humbling, although I believe that the more data into the system, the more accurate the readings will be. 

More than ever, this is a great tool and a great piece of equipment that every serious golfer should have!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

PLACEHOLDER for Part IV - Conclusions and recommendations

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Please see the updated review- more data and some screenshots!

Awesome to hear they've already got your issues pegged with upcoming solutions. You get to be a beta tester of sorts.

I especially appreciate the fact that they responded to your inquiry promptly. There's nothing worse than waiting to hear back from customer service when you have an issue.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Nice work Drew. I was considering getting one of these because I just don't like the Skycaddie Linx GT but I usually use GolfPad and am going to get the tags from them and give it a shot.

If the GolfPad tags don't work out, I'll be looking keenly at your further observations to see if the Shot Scope will work for me.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Nice work Drew. I was considering getting one of these because I just don't like the Skycaddie Linx GT but I usually use GolfPad and am going to get the tags from them and give it a shot.

If the GolfPad tags don't work out, I'll be looking keenly at your further observations to see if the Shot Scope will work for me.

Matt I had the tags for the golf pad if you have questions PM me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Next round (weather permitting) Lake Presidential next Sunday with the MD/DC/VA MGS Gang!!!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

More detailed  assessment after my second round with Shotscope 2.0

Results after Round 2.

CGGolfer, STUDque and I stole a day on Sunday in December, getting a round in after a Friday evening snowstorm...  and the results were tracked on my Shotscope 2.0. 

MDGolfHacker was on the practice range (and took those wonderful images (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14225-pamdvadcwvnjny-meet-up/?p=352306)- and did a bit of heckling on the second green, but was unable to join us due to family commitments - good on you MDGH!!) but he asked about the Shotscope size.  While appearing a bit clunky and big on my wrist, it is not noticeable at all while playing.  The only caveats are that that the watch band is a bit funky- seemingly backwards toward what most watches are- the running end of the band (one without the buckle) comes toward (and not away) from you if you wear it on your left hand; and that the buckle tab is bent  (see photos), presumably so it will sit flat on your wrist, and the loose end has a button to push back into an open tab slot, again to sit flat.  I think future iterations might consider a different band, or at least offer different choices...

From an Information Technology perspective, first, and foremost, the software upgrades that the company has provided (pushed to the unit during the synchronization period) have improved battery life and speed of re-charging- both good.  There are more in the offing, including an option for showing distance to fairway hazards, bunkers and water, scheduled for a release in the early part of 2018- cant wait.  

Second, the system tracks clubs, shots, distances and putts (putts do require manual input - more on that in a moment) during your round without any requirement for additional interaction - you don't have to carry a phone in your pocket, don't need to touch the butt end of the club to a tag on your belt.  The tag on each club ( a small tab which screws into the butt end of the grip for each club) registers the club to the watch without further interaction, and can understand the difference between a practice swing and the real shot.

Third, the download, once back at home, is as simple as plugging the watch in, synch'ing the watch with your computer or smartphone (I have not done the smart phone process yet) takes all of about 3 minutes to download, and your results are displayed on your Dashboard, including metrics, immediately after the download.

Although I only have two rounds currently in the dashboard, you can separate your rounds by year, by individual course or by any number of other variables.  This allows you a critical look at the data you generated during your round, and assess your progress (or regression...)

So far, so good.  Here are some thoughts I had as I downloaded and then edited my data to properly reflect my round.

First, there were two holes which had extraneous data (extra shots recorded.)  The one occurred when I walked by my drive (in the fairway) to aid a playing partner in locating his ball.  I was digging in some tall grass adjacent to a water hazard with my 7 iron (snake-charmer- although probably not an issue with the weather in the low 40's (Fahrenheit), and probably my digging and swinging was recognized by the tracker as a recordable swing- The other was a post 'chili-dip' swat at the ground in disgust with the club, also recognized as a recordable swing.

Conveniently, you can edit, add (or subtract) shots that may have been mis-recorded, or missed  by the tracker.  So, shooting an 88 including a penalty, results in an error rate of .0227- which is more than acceptable for me.  Plus, the Dashboard is very intuitive (much more so than the watch itself) and you can edit, location, adjust club selection and much more on the Dashboard before finally saving and recording your edited round.

One of the biggest challenges  I face is the "Putting interface" which requires you to stand with the watch (your wrist) over the hole as you input your total number of putts (the options are 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4) - this includes strokes with the putter both on and off the putting surface-.  I often forget to input the "Number of Putts" while over the hole, and find myself jogging back to the hole to record the putting strokes after I have already walked off the green- but I am sure it will become more of a habit as the rounds go on.  The dashboard provides the opportunity to adjust the number of putts when reviewing your round, but the pin location and "total distance of putts" will be less accurate if you fail to do it when on the green at the time of your actual holing the putt.

The big lesson from my second round was it helped me catch an error- I played the 18th hole well, and made a nice chip and one-putted from a decent distance.  Happy with the way I played the hole, and not thinking as we were laughing about stealing a day from normal December weather and shaking hands, I though nothing of the hole, and  recorded a 4 on my card.

When I got home and downloaded the round, made the adjustments to the scorecard (removing the 2 extra shots which the watch had recorded and adjusted a few putts where I forgot to record the number of putts over the hole) I found a discrepancy of one stroke.  For the back 9 I had recorded a very satisfying 38, however the Shotscope had me at 39.....  As I compared the hole by hole numbers, I realized that the 18th was, in fact, a par 5, and my chip and one- putt had, in fact, been a 5.  I had incorrectly recorded a 4 thinking it was a par 4.  Glad it was a friendly and not a serious competition... - Oh, and I did text my playing partners and apologized for the error- I am sure I will have to buy the next round of adult beverages... but that is another story for another time...

Next round I will attempt to download onto my smart phone via Bluetooth...MTF...

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Good recap ddryan.  it did seem to work pfretty well for you.   And the display on the screen was even large enough I could steal a peak from a couple feet away from you, without having to bother to ask you a distance.   

No worries, on the par 5 score on 18, no scorecards were signed.  So it's all good,    

On another note,it's a good thng we didn't go in for a pot round beverage or bite to eat as the clubhouse had in fact closed due to the par private party.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

More detailed assessment after my second round with Shotscope 2.0

Great review! Apparently I need to work on my heckling skills 😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Great review! Apparently I need to work on my heckling skills 😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

A loud "Mashed Potatoes" or BAA- BAA- BOUIE would have done it, I am sure!!!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

• 1 month later...

ShotScope has a $25 off deal right now on their Facebook. And they let me know the 28 day return time doesn't start until your first use....which is nice for those in the areas dealing with winter for the next 3-4 months.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I have had some time to both play a few rounds, and look at my results on the Shotscope2.0.  Overall, I am very pleased with the product.  It is easy to use, captures the strokes you make, and the dashboard product (which records your rounds, shot by shot, along with an overlay on top of a GPS enabled map on your laptop computer) is a very good tool for reviewing your round. 

I recommended the product for a golfing buddy of mine, and, frankly, I was a little concerned after the first round, but as we both became more skilled with the product, and more used to how it operates, I have become even more of a fan, as has he.  It is not as intuitive as some devices (think Iphone) but certainly not as difficult as learning to drive ( a car or golf ball!!!)

Here are my more specific thoughts about the ShotScope 2.0

Great product that does exactly what it claims it does- captures and tracks your shots, records your rounds and provides individual round and annual assessments on your game, allowing you to identify and practice on your weak areas, to get value out of your practice.

The ShotScope support team are as close as an email, and while they strive to answer emails within 48 hours, I have almost always received a return email within 12 hours or less.  That does not mean the issue is resolved, but I know they are looking at the issue.

There have been a few hiccups on the way- first, at my home course, (clearly they mapped via commercially available GPS imagery) they made a minor mistake, erroneously marking the putting green as White 9 (we have three 9 hole courses - Red, White, and Blue), so GPS distance on White 9 is off.  I have identified this and the technician who will fix this problem emailed me and thanked me for identifying the issue and said it would be resolved.

I mentioned the time (drawn from overhead satellites) which currently displays Greenwich Mean Time, vice the local time, which the technician assured will be resolved  in the next software update.

Similarly I mentioned the fact that currently the display only includes distance to front, middle and back of green.  This is great, especially considering it is variable based on where  you are approaching from, however I would like to have information on hazards (bunkers, water hazards, OB, etc, and distance to runout into the rough thru the fairway.  These,  I am told, are also planned for the next software update.

I have a difficult time remembering to tap the button to "capture the "Pin Collect" putt counting process, and often walk off the green before remembering.  Once again, this is not an issue, as you can review and  revise this once you download the round to your computer.  Editing this information on the Dashboard is, in fact, very intuitive and actually quite a bit of fun!  You not only get a chance to re-live the round, but make sure that what the Shotscope thinks you hit is correct (I have occasionally had a mis-reading or extra swing counted- only rarely is it a "Mulligan").  The device provides accurate feedback, and helps you realize what your club distances are.  Frankly, it is a bit humbling, although I believe that the more data into the system, the more accurate the readings will be. 

More than ever, this is a great tool and a great piece of equipment that every serious golfer should have!

Bump this thread for my additional comments

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anybody have any issues updating the firmware with their unit?  I purchased one and I've tried for 2 days to update the firmware but all I get is the loading message and it never seems to finish.  I shut down my PC and started again and it will connect to my PC and sync my courses but it will not finish the firmware update.  The first time I tried I let it sit for 21 hours and it still didn't finish apparently.  I tried again today and was able to sync my courses and it says the last update was today (4/16) but it will not get past the loading screen.   I've sent an email to Shot Scope to see if they have any ideas.

20180416_095842.jpg

I took advantage of the V2 upgrade program. Went out for a test run on my home course last week; but after ~5 minutes of “Locating GPS Satellites” the wrist unit kept returning the message “No courses found within 1km”. I plan to open a service ticket today and will report back. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 3 weeks later...

I took advantage of the V2 upgrade program. Went out for a test run on my home course last week; but after ~5 minutes of “Locating GPS Satellites” the wrist unit kept returning the message “No courses found within 1km”. I plan to open a service ticket today and will report back. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

This has only happened to me when I didn't have the course I was playing downloaded and installed on my watch, are you sure you did this, for the course you were playing?

Hey @downlowkey, I'm also thinking about upgrading to the V2.

Have you noticed improved GPS accuracy?

Do you still have to wear it on the left hand if you are right-handed?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hey @downlowkey, I'm also thinking about upgrading to the V2.

Have you noticed improved GPS accuracy?

Do you still have to wear it on the left hand if you are right-handed?

I only have one round on the V2 so it's too early for me to comfortably compare GPS tolerances between the two iterations. But I'll update after getting in a few more loops.

ShotScope lists a

As a righty, I personally think wearing the unit on that wrist would be awkward. From the perspective of proper impact position, because the chassis is oriented outside your arm, I definitely prefer wearing it on the left wrist (flexion) vs right wrist (extension). If I ever felt the need to wear it on my right hand, spinning the chassis around to an inside wrist orientation is probably more comfortable and would additionally move the proximity hardware closer to the club tag. The upgraded band on the V2 is also much more comfortable.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I only have one round on the V2 so it's too early for me to comfortably compare GPS tolerances between the two iterations. But I'll update after getting in a few more loops.

ShotScope lists a

As a righty, I personally think wearing the unit on that wrist would be awkward. From the perspective of proper impact position, because the chassis is oriented outside your arm, I definitely prefer wearing it on the left wrist (flexion) vs right wrist (extension). If I ever felt the need to wear it on my right hand, spinning the chassis around to an inside wrist orientation is probably more comfortable and would additionally move the proximity hardware closer to the club tag. The upgraded band on the V2 is also much more comfortable.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I was wondering if they had increased the range on the V2.

The only reason I consider wearing the watch on the right hand is because of the glove on the left hand. Taking it off and back on after every putt... sometimes I find the watch is in the way of the glove.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have a ton of rounds on my V2 as I was one of the pre-order guys that got it day one. It is very good accuracy wise on full shots but it hasn't been that good for me with the putter. I spend quite a bit of time editing putts at the conclusion of my round. I was starting to get frustrated with it but I will say that the newest dashboard update and better stats has me back in the fold.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag