TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shot Scope V2.0

ddryan

10 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Good question, also curious to hear.

(..I've benched mine for the time being - really want to focus on playing the game; and, honestly, felt like I was spending a lot of time in post-round editing...)

While I always thought that it would be nice to have ShotScope to analyze my game, THIS is the reason I never got one.  I also feel that I can look back at a round and know pretty much what my strengths and weaknesses were and what I need to practice.  Each subsequent round seems to validate my analysis, but I like the concept anyway!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

51 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

....I also feel that I can look back at a round and know pretty much what my strengths and weaknesses were and what I need to practice.

Agreed. Perhaps in the future it will be important to me know, statistically, if .. for example .. I hit X club better than Y club when I'm in the right rough NN yards out.

But OTOH it seems those are the sorts of things a golfer should learn to internalize with accumulated experience..?

I can't say I've given the Shot Scope a full and complete run, but .. so far .. it has not revealed any new insights into what/where I need to focus my practice (yes: EVERYTHING 😆).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Now that I have enough data on almost all clubs (5i and 4i are still lacking), I really like the ability to compare for distances since I don't have easy access to a launch monitor. I can grab a different club, take it out for a while with one of the extra tags and see how it compares. I generally agree with @Kenny B - I know what my issues are.

Unlike @cksurfdude, I kind of like the editing as a form of post-round review, mostly to second-guess decisions I made. For example, Tuesday I topped a drive, had 250 to the pin, grabbed a 3w which I smoked to pin high but to the right (water left, so I had to leave right as bailout). I was blocked by a tree with a bunker between me and the green. So I had to try to keep it low for the tree but carry over the bunker. It sucked. Hindsight tells me I shouldn't have tried to make up all the distance with one shot and should have played short and rely on my short game for bogey at worst. As it was, I took a triple. Did I need a shotscope to figure that out? No, but it was more obvious to me when I was editing that I made a bad choice. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I've gotten 20 rounds in with it, and I honestly love it. 

I haven't looked for a GPS watch before, and maybe there are some cheaper ones out there, but I really do like the GPS side of it. I've been using a laser for years, and really enjoy the watch GPS. 

On post round editing, it takes about 2 minutes to synch and edit. I haven't had any issues with missed shots, added shots or wrong clubs. The biggest edit I make after each round is on the putting greens. My biggest complaint is that it struggles with that part. I do the manual putt and on collects, but even then it never gets my second putt in the right spot. 

As for the metrics, I look at them once a month or so. They really showed me to hit the ball harder while putting and that I have no need for the 4i I carry. I've used it for a full swing twice in 20 rounds. Also, my percentage of hitting a green is about the same for 9i, PW, and 52. So on tees I have a 30y window to shoot for, I wouldn't have known that otherwise. 

Also, as much as I like using my 56 around the green... I'm a half stroke better on average using my PW doing a bump and run. 

Some of these things I might have been able to figure out on my own if I really kept track and tried to do it. But for me this system has been easy to use, unobtrusive and provided some data that I've used to play better. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 minute ago, Thin2win said:

Also, as much as I like using my 56 around the green... I'm a half stroke better on average using my PW doing a bump and run

I'm in a similar boat. I love my 60 around the greens but apparently my up and down rate is much better with my PW. For some reason I refuse to accept due to the somewhat limited number of times I've used it. I need to try it more and see if the trend continues. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I'm finally done with an extremely difficult two month run of work.  Honestly I've only been able to focus on the tests that I'm involved in.

So I'm catching up here and do have a few comments.  I'm still enjoying my Shot Scope system.  I find the GPS watch to be accurate enough for my game - when it's not I still have my range finder and I do know what holes that might come in handy for - odd shaped or odd angled greens sometimes lead to odd yardages - that was the case when I had a golf buddy so its really no different.  Regardless I like being able to glance at my wrist and have an idea of what I need to hit.

I'm in the camp that enjoys the editing.  If I didn't have shot scope I'd mentally review my round in that way anyway much as others who find the editing cumbersome have described.  For me it doesn't seem to take that much time to do and it helps me learn from my mistakes or also see if there's a patter to what I'm doing right.  One pattern that has emerged for approach shots is that nearly all of my birdies come when I'm between clubs and hit the longer one - I also had two birdies when I took part in the Cobra Connect four club challenge where I had to significantly over club and grip down on my 8 iron and hit it close.  This is making me think that I should always grip down on my iron shots and wedge approach shots as griping down is my primary technique for taking some distance off of a shot.

On that same note I'm having an issue with distance control on wedge shots into the green.  That is perhaps my biggest surprise thus far.  Rather than with a wedge of some sort my closest proximity to the pin is with shots between 150-120, 9-7 iron.  Of course between the SuperSpeed test and the long game gapping test I've spent an over abundance of time on my long game at the expense of my wedges.  I hit a lot of 6 and 7 irons throughout the spring determining which should be my longest iron and also how the 9 wood fits.  The data shows that this practice has helped that part of my game.

I have started to work on the wedges a bit although not the types of shots that I'm really having trouble with - more the stuff around the greens (traps and pitch shots out of rough because my league playoffs start soon and I need to be ready for Innisbrook).  Next up is setting aside time to work on distance control with my wedges (see above).  That should happen with a bit more time in my schedule and the long game gapping wrapping up.

Finally I will have lots to write about how this has helped with the gapping test whenever the stage 2 goes up.  While I do have some raw numbers (carry, ball speed, total distance) off of a launch monitor for that test I'm not seeing the great value there.  Ping's claims have to do with what those clubs mean for a player's game on the course.  Launch monitor data is a starting point but its shot after shot not at a flag or lay up point in the fairway.  The performance differences between a line up of 5,7,9 wood and that of 3W, 4 and 5 hybrid is extremely apparent on Shot Scope.  I knew that I had a problem with the gap between 6 iron and 5 hybrid before - little did I know that I actually hit my 7 iron as long as or longer than and more accurately than my 5 hybrid for real. 

I know it now. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@MaxEntropy @Thin2win @revkev ...

Really interesting insights, thanks for posting! I'd actually started a separate thread looking for just this sort of feedback - your comments are helpful. 

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I now have 7 recorded rounds with my Ping long game clubs in the bag. I’ve also played 3 league nines, not recorded on Shot Scope because I missed collecting too many pins and 2 18’s as a guest for the Cobra Connect 4 club challenge - I recorded those but didn’t save them for obvious reasons (like have to hit 7 wood from 145 because it was into the breeze and the leave short with8 iron was not appealing).

At any rate I’ve learned some more things since that last post.

1. The full wedge practice paid immediate dividends. I had 3 looks for birdie inside of 20 feet on the par 5’s and the 4th one was 25 feet. All 4 were wedge shots.

2. I should have had a couple of more wedges in yesterday’s round but poor tee balls with the 5 wood left me out of position.

3. I love my 60 but it turns out that I hardly use it. Yes it’s my primary trap club but I rarely get in traps and when I do I almost never get up and down. In fact my usage for the 60 and the 56 are both under 1 percent of the time.

4. I have a .67 up and down rate with my 52 degree wedge.

My conclusion is to dump the 60/56 and replace them with a 58. Since I game SCOR and was able to find a number of 58’s online I found the best gently used one that I could and ordered it with the lie bent to my specs.

I will put the 3 wood in the bag for use off the tee - it will get frequent use at the course I play for league and leave me wedges where the 5 wood is leaving 8 irons. 5 wood stays in the bag for shots off the turf or one of the long par 3’s.

While I was tempted to put my 53 SCOR in for gapping purposes you can’t argue with getting up and down 2/3 of the time. The 52 will stay in the bag and I will live with a 6 degree gap. It’s not ideal but it’s not terrible either.

I need to work on shots around the green off of wet turf out of rough or fairway and wet sand - led to two doubles yesterday. I turned a really good round into an average one yesterday with a couple of chunks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Do you have any updates now after all the software updates to battery optimization and hazards have been done? I'm really interested in purchasing one. Also, has the data helped you improve your game in any way? Thanks for the awesome review.

•  SUN_MOUNTAIN_LOGO_ORANGE.jpg.a9d08a3a8868c113b375e59d107b307c.jpg C130 USA bag 
  • Driver - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811XF - Tensei Ck Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 3 Wood - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 19*  & 22* Hybrids -  tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff
  • Irons & Wedges- th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 5-PW, GW, SW, LW 45*. 50*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff
  • All wrapped in th6BYKY06U.jpg.498f835a9186e145cfd65f634529351e.jpgStandard Gray/Red Dri-Tacs
  • Putter - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Mustang - 33" - thSW15O8UF.jpg.640464f71a82ecf5f3ea6385b212dea0.jpg 5.0 FATSO
  • Ball - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg TP5
  • Tracked with untitled.png.d513b27db44b0030705a36f1ae5b2a97.pngV2
  • I'm a righty from Mechanicsville, VA (Richmond Area)

1 hour ago, Maltenator said:

I'm really interested in purchasing one.

I have a gently used V2 that I've been considering selling as I'm not using it .. not sure about $$ but if interested, PM me and we'll work something out!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

I have a gently used V2 that I've been considering selling as I'm not using it .. not sure about $$ but if interested, PM me and we'll work something out!

PM Sent.

•  SUN_MOUNTAIN_LOGO_ORANGE.jpg.a9d08a3a8868c113b375e59d107b307c.jpg C130 USA bag 
  • Driver - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811XF - Tensei Ck Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 3 Wood - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 19*  & 22* Hybrids -  tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff
  • Irons & Wedges- th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 5-PW, GW, SW, LW 45*. 50*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff
  • All wrapped in th6BYKY06U.jpg.498f835a9186e145cfd65f634529351e.jpgStandard Gray/Red Dri-Tacs
  • Putter - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Mustang - 33" - thSW15O8UF.jpg.640464f71a82ecf5f3ea6385b212dea0.jpg 5.0 FATSO
  • Ball - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg TP5
  • Tracked with untitled.png.d513b27db44b0030705a36f1ae5b2a97.pngV2
  • I'm a righty from Mechanicsville, VA (Richmond Area)

• 1 month later...

Upon opening package and reading instructions was a concern:

Requiring practice swings - I don't take practice swings except is unusual circumstances; i.e. partial shots or shots hindered by trees etc.

Putter Chip did not fit; Ping Sigma 2 adjustable - cut off part of chip and fits well.

Use after 6 rounds

Pavg is important to use when comparing shots distances, especially if you use clubs for partial shots or as I do a hybrid around the greens.

Distances for clubs can be distorted because of elevation changes.

Pavg for 7 and 8 irons, the same - some adjustments may be needed.

Pavg for 4 hybrid and 7 wood the same; but have different ball flights so not surprising

4 Wood longest is just short of Driver longest

70 percent of putts short - may be a result of new course mangers and green speeds on homes courses being reduced to 8-9 from 10-11 on one course and to 8-9 from 11-12 on the other course.

Helpful seeing pavg for wedges; allowing a little more effective selection.

In bag;

Driver  - Ping G400 SFT set fto 13 degrees

Fairway Woods - Callaway Rogue 4 and Callaway Rogue Heavenwood

Hybrids - Callaway Rogue 21 and 24

Irons - Ping G400 6-W Green Dot Senior Shaft

Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50 and 54ss, 58 ws. Green Dot

Putter - Sigma 2 Arna  36" and minus 1 degree loft

• 3 months later...

I just received this set up and have played a couple rounds. The positives for me is that all the data collection is hands free except the pin collect for putts. I'm use to the arccos gen1 system and always had to check shots and putts (probably more than I needed to and the gen2 is suppose to be better). Anyway, the major drawback or negative I've noticed is there is no way to check shots or score during the sound with shot scope.