6 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I've now played 27 holes with ShotScope , and some trends are starting to show - it will be interesting to see how this continues as more and more data gets added to it.

(etc.)

Sounds like you're aware "Positional" shots must be fixed in post-round editing - otherwise they'll count as "Approach" shots .. and throw off your approach stats...

I sent them another comment that I feel this should be added to shot types you can mark while playing, similar to e.g. "Lost Ball" or "Penalty" - and this time they seemed receptive.

Re: short game - 50 yards and in (not customizable).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Re: short game - 50 yards and in (not customizable).

Thanks! I figured it had to be something like that because I feel like I've been better than the stats show when I'm within about 20 years ofthe green.

I am aware of changing shots to be positional. 

• Like 1

Depending on what type a phone you have, I have seen some of these 3rd party devices (a Fitbit and a robot vacuum) struggle to connect via bluetooth. If you have an iPhone or Samsung, it should be pretty straightforward.
If you are just syncing/downloading courses, you can do that on a computer, but have to remember to do it before you head to the course.

I got it thanks but next issue up was when I got to the course and turned on the satellite thingy it kept telling me there were no courses within 1kilometer. I was standing on the first tee of one of the courses at a 36 hole facility.

Tried turning it on and off and got the same result. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

I got it thanks but next issue up was when I got to the course and turned on the satellite thingy it kept telling me there were no courses within 1kilometer. I was standing on the first tee of one of the courses at a 36 hole facility.

Tried turning it on and off and got the same result. 😞

This might be like a dumb question, but did you download the course to your phone or computer (add it to My Courses), then sync the course to the watch?

• Like 2

This might be like a dumb question, but did you download the course to your phone or computer (add it to My Courses), then sync the course to the watch?

I thought that I did - But I’m guessing that’s my error. I need to have a younger tech savvy person with me to get this kick started.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Tried turning it on and off and got the same result. 😞

Yeah, it was forgetting to Sync the new course "into" the watch (I did that yesterday; fixed it this morning).

• Like 4

Yeah, it was forgetting to Sync the new course "into" the watch (I did that yesterday; fixed it this morning).

That was it for sure - I didn’t notice the pending thing by my courses. It’s done now so hopefully next round.

• Like 2

I've been noticing the pins and putts have been quite wayward on the green one I upload it to the phone. I'm extremely diligent about hitting the button over the hope after I hole out, but these things have been way off....

Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

I've been noticing the pins and putts have been quite wayward on the green one I upload it to the phone. I'm extremely diligent about hitting the button over the hope after I hole out, but these things have been way off....

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, on occasion but not frequently. I've also been making sure to take a practice stroke or two next to the ball, and then hit "Pin Collect" directly over the hole every time. I've also noticed in post-round editing a few shots here and there appear to be located differently than my memory of them, and ....

I'm wondering if any .. or all .. of this has to do with simply the GPS accuracy itself - ie. perhaps not the device but the "margin of error" or tolerance of the GPS measurements taken; eg. +/- 10 feet or whatever GPS accuracy is supposed to be at these days..??

• Like 1

Yes, on occasion but not frequently. I've also been making sure to take a practice stroke or two next to the ball, and then hit "Pin Collect" directly over the hole every time. I've also noticed in post-round editing a few shots here and there appear to be located differently than my memory of them, and ....
I'm wondering if any .. or all .. of this has to do with simply the GPS accuracy itself - ie. perhaps not the device but the "margin of error" or tolerance of the GPS measurements taken; eg. +/- 10 feet or whatever GPS accuracy is supposed to be at these days..??
I'll have to work on the practice stroke I suppose. I rarely take one with my putter. We'll see if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

I'll have to work on the practice stroke I suppose. I rarely take one with my putter. We'll see if that helps.

According to their FAQs the watch goes into sleep mode between shots (to preserve battery life) and so practice strokes both wake it and allow it to start the GPS positioning process.

• Like 1

@cksurfdude, @dhartmann34

I've noticed I have to be diligent about trying to recall putt locations because there are, at times, huge differences. In one case, the GPS essentially said I must have putted away from the hole and holed a 45 footer. In order for my distance stats to be as accurate as possible, I've found I had to edit quite a few second putts to putt them 2-4 feet away so I don't get "credit" for the 15 foot second putt. I can only assume this is related to GPS accuracy. Today I started hovering over the hole a little longer to give the GPS more time to get an accurate lock for the pin location and they looked more realistic when I reviewed my round, but I wonder if there is anything we can do to make sure putt locations are better.

Re: Practice putts (or even short chips/pitches) - I wonder about how big of a swing is required to wake things up? Do a couple flips with the putter do it? A couple times on chips, I took a couple exaggerated practice swings prior to my real ones, just to make sure the chips were caught.

Oh yeah, then there's this.... Since it is unlikely to last and it may be one of the few categories in which this will happen, I'll take bragging rights for the moment.

OnePuttPercent.thumb.png.57f68a271ac8de82bdf4a130babae49e.png

I saw a strange thing today when I was reviewing/editing - my ShotScope picked up two extra shots. I think my watch must have picked up @MattF's club. In both cases, I know I was fairly close to him.

• Like 3

[mention=58941]cksurfdude[/mention], [mention=67453]dhartmann34[/mention]
I've noticed I have to be diligent about trying to recall putt locations because there are, at times, huge differences. In one case, the GPS essentially said I must have putted away from the hole and holed a 45 footer. In order for my distance stats to be as accurate as possible, I've found I had to edit quite a few second putts to putt them 2-4 feet away so I don't get "credit" for the 15 foot second putt. I can only assume this is related to GPS accuracy. Today I started hovering over the hole a little longer to give the GPS more time to get an accurate lock for the pin location and they looked more realistic when I reviewed my round, but I wonder if there is anything we can do to make sure putt locations are better.
Re: Practice putts (or even short chips/pitches) - I wonder about how big of a swing is required to wake things up? Do a couple flips with the putter do it? A couple times on chips, I took a couple exaggerated practice swings prior to my real ones, just to make sure the chips were caught.
Oh yeah, then there's this.... Since it is unlikely to last and it may be one of the few categories in which this will happen, I'll take bragging rights for the moment.
OnePuttPercent.thumb.png.57f68a271ac8de82bdf4a130babae49e.png
I saw a strange thing today when I was reviewing/editing - my ShotScope picked up two extra shots. I think my watch must have picked up [mention=12972]MattF[/mention]'s club. In both cases, I know I was fairly close to him.

I thought it would need the tag in it?

On 4/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, MaxEntropy said:

Today I started hovering over the hole a little longer to give the GPS more time to get an accurate lock for the pin location and they looked more realistic when I reviewed my round

Interesting! Gonna have to remember and try and do that, also .. thx!

• Like 1

Just fyi, ya'll, submitted the following to ShotScope Support.

---

Hi -

So after gathering a few more rounds, and a few more shot stats, I'm starting to want a little more 🙂 in the way of being able to organize and view my shot data; have a few suggestions for ShotScope to consider:

1. Dashboard customization
- Some of the current charts and graphs are of interest to me, while (sorry..) some are not ... so it would be nice to tick off a few charts and graphs to appear together on one customized "My Dashboard" screen. 
- For example, currently I'm most interested in (a) Approaches / "Shots To Finish" - specifically from 150 yards (though I'd like to be able to set this to 160 yards) and in, and (b) Putting / "Avg Distance To Hole" ... so it would be nice to be able to go to one place for just those (few) data displays.

2. new stat/data display = "Shots Into Scoring Zone"
- Number of shots from the TEE to get "into" a user-defined scoring zone short of the green; for example, 150 (or, 160) yards out from the center of the green (ie. an arc extending out around the green from a center fixed point).
- ShotScope has both the length of my tee shot (and its starting position) and the ending point of that tee shot, along with the distance remaining to the center of the green.
- For example, on a 500-yd Par 5 I hit a driver 200 then a hybrid 180 to land 120 out from the center of the green; I'm "inside" 150 so "2" shots for "Tee to Scoring Zone".
(..then I can look at that together with my "Shots to Finish" from my target scoring zone distance)

3. Round vs Round Comparisons
- Before using the product, I'd thought I'd be able to compare different rounds - on the *same* course - together side-by-side, to .. hopefully 😉 !! .. see improvement over time, but really to maybe pick out which holes are the most inconsistent (good one round vs bad another) and which holes are the most problematic (consistently bad). 
- This sort of feature might help to re-think strategy on those holes?

4. Data Export
- ShotScope has all the discrete shot and putting data so it would be nice (for spreadsheet nerds) to be able to create their own custom shot history, data tables and graphs, etc.
- Tee shots might include distance + distance remaining to center of green; same for Approaches marked as "Positional" plus Approaches that missed the green (in any direction).

Thanks!!
Chuck 
---

• Like 6

@cksurfsdude - As a 60 something guy I’m hoping to get a round in with this thing working before the next millennium.

Had it on yesterday as I approached the first tee, everything synced fine, the course came up. Got to the tee and there was the first hole in all its splendor - 362 to the middle - yes, I thought, here we go.

But alas the battery looked like a ghost. I showed it to one of my playing companions who knew nothing, to the next whose an attorney and knows less but will learn and bill you for it as he does. And then our last guy weighed in. At 57 he was the youngster in the group. But also he does IT for a major health care provider. With his expertise he was able to say, “The battery needs to be recharged, did you bring the chord?” Just as the watch screen was going blank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

here is a scenario...

lets say my last 2 rounds i dont hit the green in regulation on 9 holes and use my 9 iron to roll it close .. now in the remaining 9 i only use the 9 for a couple of full shots, wont this get the average distance of my 9 iron down considerably ? is there an option to not count the 9 chips in the average distance of that club ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, revkev said:

@cksurfsdude - As a 60 something guy I’m hoping to get a round in with this thing working before the next millennium.

Had it on yesterday as I approached the first tee, everything synced fine, the course came up. Got to the tee and there was the first hole in all its splendor - 362 to the middle - yes, I thought, here we go.

But alas the battery looked like a ghost. I showed it to one of my playing companions who knew nothing, to the next whose an attorney and knows less but will learn and bill you for it as he does. And then our last guy weighed in. At 57 he was the youngster in the group. But also he does IT for a major health care provider. With his expertise he was able to say, “The battery needs to be recharged, did you bring the chord?” Just as the watch screen was going blank.

emoji33.png

.. Bummer man.... 😄

Rev, the only thing you did wrong was wear the ShotScope as a _watch_!

Even though it looks like a watch, and acts like a watch .. the battery in it just doesn't allow it to be used as such...

After fully charging it - turn it off (Power button on top-left, then "Yes" to "Shutdown?"). And don't turn it on again until literally just a few minutes before you're ready to tee off.

Hope that helps!

Oh, Also note - I've had an issue with it not properly recognizing the correct position of my first few tee shots .. so try to take a few extra practice swings close to where you intend to hit from; this should allow the watch enough time to recognize the club (I use my 4H a lot but the watch may default to "Driver" if it doesn't pick up the club's tag) and to get a position "fix".

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dr. Golf said:

here is a scenario...

lets say my last 2 rounds i dont hit the green in regulation on 9 holes and use my 9 iron to roll it close .. now in the remaining 9 i only use the 9 for a couple of full shots, wont this get the average distance of my 9 iron down considerably ? is there an option to not count the 9 chips in the average distance of that club ?

Yes there is. You need to mark those shots as "positional".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Yes there is. You need to mark those shots as "positional".

It also knocks out outliers anyway.
If you want to know your playing distances you should be looking at "P-average" not "Average".
P-average throws out outliers and tries to give a more accurate impression of what you should be expecting the club to do on a full shot.

• Like 6