Another issue was walking across a green in order to chip or pitch it will say you’re on the green even if you walk like 10-20 yards off the green it wouldn’t change. Just show the dang collect pin screen. Hit next hole and back works but maybe clears out all shots on that particular hole. Idk. Sent mine back a while back. Wanting the next version badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Another issue was walking across a green in order to chip or pitch it will say you’re on the green even if you walk like 10-20 yards off the green it wouldn’t change. Just show the dang collect pin screen. Hit next hole and back works but maybe clears out all shots on that particular hole. Idk. Sent mine back a while back. Wanting the next version badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was concerned about this at first but have found that it goes back to the prior screen if I walk off the green.

I agree that there could be subtle differences in green sizes due to mapping issues. Yesterday all the greens were larger than what they accounted for but I believe that’s because the greens on the course that I played were redone two summers ago. I really noticed how much larger they were for the first time yesterday.
@Stroker -I got it!!! I sent an email and support sent me a couple of articles that resolved the issue for me. I am using a touch device so it can be maddening. :)

Fortunately I have enough experience with technology to know that it will get easier the more that I use it and the “errors” are almost always user errors. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

I tried and returned SS2.  It missed a bunch of shots, pin locations, etc. in the several rounds I played with it.  It's a great idea, and if it worked as it should, it would be a great tool.  But as is, it wasn't for me.  

• Like 1

Sadly, I'm starting to fall out of love with mine... I'm concerned about the GPS accuracy but a bit more unhappy with all the required post-round editing. 

I'd started a separate thread looking for feedback on just how other ShotScope users are looking at their stats, and just how any insights are informing or changing your practice time and/or game plans....

I get that the tour pros need to slice and dice and drill down into every detail ad infinitum, and perhaps in the future it may be important to me to know if I'm in the right rough 140 yards out I have a better percentage with X club vs Y club ... but for me and where I'm at with my game I need to work on keeping my golf ball where I can see it within the confines of the golf course property 🤣

So, for (real) example... I already know (1) I need to improve my fairway accuracy. I already know (2) I miss greens short; but then I also know I miss at least as many right and left though pin-high - so I need to work on my approach shot dispersion. And I already know (3) that I'm very likely to 3-putt when starting from more than 30 feet away - so I need to work on, yeah, lag putting / distance control but also approach shot proximity plus chipping accuracy from off the green.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

I get that the tour pros need to slice and dice and drill down into every detail ad infinitum, and perhaps in the future it may be important to me to know if I'm in the right rough 140 yards out I have a better percentage with X club vs Y club ... but for me and where I'm at with my game I need to work on keeping my golf ball where I can see it within the confines of the golf course property 🤣

So, for (real) example... I already know (1) I need to improve my fairway accuracy. I already know (2) I miss greens short; but then I also know I miss at least as many right and left though pin-high - so I need to work on my approach shot dispersion. And I already know (3) that I'm very likely to 3-putt when starting from more than 30 feet away - so I need to work on, yeah, lag putting / distance control but also approach shot proximity plus chipping accuracy from off the green.

This pretty well sums up my experience with shot tracking devices at this point in time. The primary value they provide to me anymore is distance. I know my strengths are driving and putting. Approach shots need some work and Short game needs some MORE work.

At this point, traditional stats work just fine alongside changes in score and handicap as a means of using metrics to gauge improvement. I've even plugged all the handicap formulas into a spreadsheet so I can track my handicap without forking out money to the USGA every year. It means my handicap isn't official, but considering I've played in absolutely zero tournaments where one was required, I'm not concerned.

• Like 2

I'm still a fan. As far as GPS accuracy, at my level, it does not matter is it is off a few yards - if I knew I could hit my clubs a precise distance every time, it may be bothersome, but until that time I really like looking at my wrist versus pulling out my phone.

I honestly sort of enjoy the post round editing, although I have not had to make too many changes that weren't the result of me doing something dumb (like forgetting to pin collect or changing clubs at the last second). For the most part, all I usually have to do is make sure putt locations are approximately correct and that all the little baby chips registered.

I do feel like the putt tracking needs to be better. As I have started looking at putts from different angles more frequently, the system seems to assign a putt location to something that is a very strange place, like I was putting away from the hole or 90 degrees away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

This pretty well sums up my experience with shot tracking devices at this point in time.

Yeah .. thx for that. I'd attended a clinic in January where they were pretty adamant about the need for shot tracking; didn't think it was for me, vs more advanced players, but sounded like I needed to give it a try.

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

As far as GPS accuracy, at my level, it does not matter is it is off a few yards

Yes, agreed but .. I suspect it may occasionally impact, for example, whether it records that you hit a green or the fringe, or hit a fairway or were just off.

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

the system seems to assign a putt location to something that is a very strange place

Are you taking practice strokes with your putter.. next to the ball .. before each putt? If not, that might be a part of the problem..?

And agree, too, putting .. and all .. stats could be more robust, and more flexible in how you're able to view them (future updates?).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Are you taking practice strokes with your putter.. next to the ball .. before each putt? If not, that might be a part of the problem..?

Yes, but my routine seems more like DJ with quick little waves of the putter when I'm next to the ball. I suspect when i am looking at a putt from the side I may be subconsciously swinging my putter as I look. I'll have to pay more attention.

Tap-ins, I do nothing but walk up and tap it in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I suspect when i am looking at a putt from the side I may be subconsciously swinging my putter as I look. I'll have to pay more attention.

Hmmm, yeah you should test if that's affecting it. 

We have anything going as a group of MGS???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 hours ago, PMookie said:

We have anything going as a group of MGS???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What do you mean? There's an MGS leader board if that's what you're talking about. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MattF said:

What do you mean? There's an MGS leader board if that's what you're talking about. 

What's the code to join? I couldn't find it...

• Like 1

I have now played 140 holes with the ShotScope. As I've mentioned at other times, I haven't learned much in terms of what is wrong with my game, but I believe these stats shows me something....

708402758_ScoringSummary06242019.png.3843c33132e5d439edc943ea3eafab5e.png

The round above was yesterday - I shot an 84 (par 71) with 29 putts (if you saw my post in the Stroke Lab thread, you'll recall I reported 30 putts, but found a hole that, for some reason, kept reporting as a 3-putt that was not). I had 3, 3, 4, 2 on the par 3's and 5, 5, 6 on the par 5's. For the season so far, I am less than bogey on par 3's and par 5's and over bogey on par 4's. Why is that? I would contend that it is an indication that my iron game is a strength but tee shots are my struggle. Even though I miss as many fairways on par 5's, the extra shot gives me time to recover and apparently the recovery shots are generally successful. My current rate of up-and-downs for the season is 40% (inside 50 yards) so I know I have a reasonable chance at getting home in two once I am close to or on the green. Why aren't the recovery shots as successful on par 4's? I would guess it's a psychological thing where I try to do too much to get too close instead of taking my medicine and playing for a bogey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I have now played 140 holes with the ShotScope. As I've mentioned at other times, I haven't learned much in terms of what is wrong with my game, but I believe these stats shows me something....

The round above was yesterday - I shot an 84 (par 71) with 29 putts (if you saw my post in the Stroke Lab thread, you'll recall I reported 30 putts, but found a hole that, for some reason, kept reporting as a 3-putt that was not). I had 3, 3, 4, 2 on the par 3's and 5, 5, 6 on the par 5's. For the season so far, I am less than bogey on par 3's and par 5's and over bogey on par 4's. Why is that? I would contend that it is an indication that my iron game is a strength but tee shots are my struggle. Even though I miss as many fairways on par 5's, the extra shot gives me time to recover and apparently the recovery shots are generally successful. My current rate of up-and-downs for the season is 40% (inside 50 yards) so I know I have a reasonable chance at getting home in two once I am close to or on the green. Why aren't the recovery shots as successful on par 4's? I would guess it's a psychological thing where I try to do too much to get too close instead of taking my medicine and playing for a bogey.

A lot of Par 4s probably leave you with 160-180 yards to the green while Par 5s do give you an extra buffer shot so that the approach shot should be well within 130 yards.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Nice! Great progress 👍

And interesting insight from your data, hope it translates into more positives on the course!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

A lot of Par 4s probably leave you with 160-180 yards to the green while Par 5s do give you an extra buffer shot so that the approach shot should be well within 130 yards.

Yeah, great point! Have to remind myself to take an "extra shot" on long Par 4s and play for bogey, not for par - ie  within my capabilities.

• Like 2