Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

When an OEM copies a component

Justin66

Tt's shaft has an hourglass profile. The hump is a jump from one size to another without going back. Looks to me like they're different. Do you putt with a Scotty Newport or the like? If it's not a Ping it's a blatant copy of their design. Same principle. There are only so many things you can do until there are no more original ideas.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The copy card has been played out.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Tt's shaft has an hourglass profile. The hump is a jump from one size to another without going back. Looks to me like they're different. Do you putt with a Scotty Newport or the like? If it's not a Ping it's a blatant copy of their design. Same principle. There are only so many things you can do until there are no more original ideas.

Honestly, that's how I feel about SC's... just an Anser copy. Whether someone likes one better than the other, I don't have any feelings one way or the other about it- everyone has the right to like what they like for the reasons they want. But it does strike me as odd, having that hump/jump... and it REALLY seems like a departure from the norm for TT. Just seems they've been doing pretty good for themselves for what, 50 years(? ...seems like it), doing what they always do, so why go with such a radical design? In the 2+2=5 department... there's this little "twinge" in my head that makes me wonder if the DG's are going to become the experimental line, with the PX's staying constant. I know it might be "out there", but I am curious if anyone else wonders about stuff like that.

For full disclosure, I like the Apollo line of shafts... except the Hump. It just seems weird to me- and this is coming from a guy that liked that "pangy" sound the original SQ made. Go figure.

The copy card has been played out.

Right- just like with movies... I see your gear listed- THAT is an original set! I've heard of Nippon, Honma, Epon... didn't know Yamaha made golf stuff... and the rest is a blank to me. Kind of refreshing (if that's the word I'm looking for)... definitely not the norm. Like I said, though, everyone games what they like, but when I see something like that, it definitely piques my interest.

If this is how the TT Spinner shaft generates spin, how did/does the Rifle Spinner do it?

Accordng to the people at The Golfworks (not GolfWRX), the Rifle/PX has a softer tip than a non-wedge shaft. Here's an exerpt from an email response I got asking them this same question:

"As for the wedge shaft question, the wedge shafts usually have a softer tip section for higher trajectory is the only difference there".

That's it, in a nutshell. Again, how one would be "better" than the other is escaping me at this time.

How is a soft tip versus a firm tip different for spin? Don't know the science, but I'd imagine it has more deflection because of it being softer and it increasing effective loft, creating more spin. When you're looking for less spin on a driver, you look for a stiffer tip profile.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

How is a soft tip versus a firm tip different for spin? Don't know the science, but I'd imagine it has more deflection because of it being softer and it increasing effective loft, creating more spin. When you're looking for less spin on a driver, you look for a stiffer tip profile.

That makes perfect sense. Golfworks (the customer service rep didn't leave a name) didn't give any details. I think I have my follow-up question now.

Archived