TESTERS WANTED! ×

{Blog} The Story of Oncore Golf

STUDque

OnCore-Caliber-1.jpeg

MGS is so good/bad for me. I've already got 3 dozen new balls (based on MGS recommendations) and about 4 dozen recycled balls in my garage waiting to be played. Then I got the email about this blog post:

The Story of Oncore Golf by John Barba

Click. Read. Shop.

I usually glaze over at the advertisement of new tech in balls but I just couldn't resist the thought of tech that used to be illegal but is now USGA approved. I just gotta know if that hollow core is legit or not.

Buy.

Found a dozen of the Elixer on eBay for $32. Worth a shot.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Digging my K-Sigs!!! ordered them the moment I saw a note from MGS about the re-release only thru COSTCO website- they were gone in a day!  $79 for 4 dozen, including delivery!  That should last me a while!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I think it's awesome that these guys are based in Upstate NY (Buffalo) and are willing to take shots at the ball market. I can buy them at discount at any local Wegman's in my area and plan on picking some up after the holidays, even though I've got more golf balls than I know what to do with. I also recommend their free trial sleeve if they are still running that deal.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

What are the 3 dozen others you have?

2 Chrome Soft and 1 B330S. Haven't even played the Chrome Soft yet but I'm super happy with the B330S.

I get everyone wants to save a buck, but if you were intrigued by their product and wanted to support a small company you should have purchased directly from them rather than savings a few bucks by using ebay.

Thanks for your input. I value your opinion. If you look at it this way, I bought it from an eBay golf retailer. If the retailer can move more product, they'll buy more from Oncore. They benefit greater by having more retailers move their product for them than trying to move it all themselves.

Spot on Stud...I posted a similar thought in Blog comments, I usually look past the small ball companies and their claims.  Maybe I'm dumb or stubborn or both!  As I have heard many testimonials from users of Vice, Cut and the others.  But just like you, the fact they were one of two instances ever for the USGA to rewrite their rules ultimately approve the ball said a lot to me.   I love the comment that Tony loves the ball so much, he doesn't want to play it and lose it...HA

The names and the makeup behind each name leave me a bit confused, but it sounds like I might only need to know one name, ELIXR

I would like to know two things, unless I somehow missed them in his piece.  Where are they manufactured, I think it's awesome they hired their own R&D team, and where does the naming of the balls come from.  To me the only one that is self-explanatory is The Genius. And boy does the possibilities of that one have me excited.  

Will definitely be ordering a dozen to try out. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great article, but  I thought the goal was a lesser cost, high performance ball.  Elixir come in @ $40 a dozen...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

2 Chrome Soft and 1 B330S. Haven't even played the Chrome Soft yet but I'm super happy with the B330S.

Thanks for your input. I value your opinion. If you look at it this way, I bought it from an eBay golf retailer. If the retailer can move more product, they'll buy more from Oncore. They benefit greater by having more retailers move their product for them than trying to move it all themselves.

Glad that you purchased through a retailer and not just an individual seller.  It is so damn hard for a start up company to make a buck so I always try to support a company that I think has promise rather than trying to get their product or a knockoff product cheaper from a reseller. 

If it was spring time here I would be buying some from their website, no doubt about it.

where does the naming of the balls come from

Easiest is the Caliber, comes from bullet and ammunition naming, right to the rifle spin.

The Elixr you can steal from the actual definition. It's a magical or medicinal potion, so apparently the cure to all your ills

Lastly, the Avant. Avant is defined as original or innovative, like in Avant Garde, probably easier to shorten it though.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

I've said forever that one day somebody will place a chip in a ball. Looks like that day is going to arrive in 2018.

We'll see.

Next will be a technology to record data directly from the face of the club. It's coming.

Will we also one day see a direct link between ball and club?

I'd bet on it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've said forever that one day somebody will place a chip in a ball. Looks like that day is going to arrive in 2018.

We'll see.

Next will be a technology to record data directly from the face of the club. It's coming.

Will we also one day see a direct link between ball and club?

I'd bet on it.

Next leap? Controlling the flight with a button on your grip. The future is now!

Serious question though, is the Genius that $50 ball I've heard about or has Oncore found a way to make the chipped ball cheaper?

I may have to try these out. Very cool story and if the science works could be a nice ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Edit: After doing a little research, I found that the Elixer doesn't have the hollow metal core. Maybe I jumped the gun on that purchase but at least it's still a tour-level ball that's supposed to perform on par with ProV. The perimeter weighting is still innovative enough to satisfy my curiosity.

The Caliber (3 pieces) would be your metal core ball. I guess it's a good thing I didn't get those because it seems like there would be serious distance loss with my swing speed. Apparently they're pretty loud too which would be more of a novelty to me. A great quote I saw on one of the other forums went something like this "The metal ball plus the F6 was a sound to behold"

If you buy one dozen.

$32/dz if you buy 3 dozen

$28/dz if you buy 6 dozen

Kind of similar model to Snell

Vice is the same; volume discounts.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

The Caliber is the only one with the hollow metal core - it's designed for slower swing speed/beginner golfers. From what Bret told me, the original iterations were pretty loud and pretty hard - they've apparently softened them up a bit to improve both sound and feel, but it remains a slower swing speed ball.

The Avant is a 2 piece distance ball - no metal core - and has a uniquely weighted core. The ELIXR is the Tour Ball - it really has me intrigued.

As for the Genius, they're still working out pricing and how they'll handle going to market - it won't be an inexpensive ball but they don't consider it a ball you'd play all the time. It has GPS so in theory you can't lose it, unless of course you hit it into the water or off a cliff or something. Bret said they may work out a discount replacement ball plan, but we'll have to wait and see. They are planning on selling them in two-packs, you can expect pricing to be considerably higher than a Tour ball, but again, you wouldn't buy a dozen and put them in play regularly - unless of course you wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Easiest is the Caliber, comes from bullet and ammunition naming, right to the rifle spin.

The Elixr you can steal from the actual definition. It's a magical or medicinal potion, so apparently the cure to all your ills

Lastly, the Avant. Avant is defined as original or innovative, like in Avant Garde, probably easier to shorten it though.

Thanks for that, pretty interesting.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The Snell MTB is my ball of choice, so the Elixir is the comparable ball...is it worth trying it or not?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• SPY VIP

OMG that horrible sounding metal core ball we tested in the Direct to Consumer ball article a few years back! Holy crap you never want to hit that one indoors.

Just take a listen:

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

I played multiple rounds with the Elixr this summer.

The first ball I tried would just drop out of the air on long irons, was really weird, but everyone in my group noticed it. I switched that ball out and things were definitely better. After a few more rounds I can say spin, distance, feel etc are good and on par with most OEM balls out there. I don't see any benefit though to buying these over any of the current under $30 dozen balls available atm.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I played multiple rounds with the Elixr this summer.

The first ball I tried would just drop out of the air on long irons, was really weird, but everyone in my group noticed it. I switched that ball out and things were definitely better. After a few more rounds I can say spin, distance, feel etc are good and on par with most OEM balls out there. I don't see any benefit though to buying these over any of the current under $30 dozen balls available atm.

Do you think the tolerances aren't as tight because of the size of company and manufacturing shops they are using?

And yes you can find last year's tour balls for cheap mostly through the season

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• SPY VIP

Do you think the tolerances aren't as tight because of the size of company and manufacturing shops they are using?

And yes you can find last year's tour balls for cheap mostly through the season

Right now I'd like to believe it an anomaly, but your theory could be right. I guess you gotta wonder how far up the priority ladder at the factory a company this size is compared to when the big boys want their order. 

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Even though I thought I have seen them on there before, currently I don't see any OnCore golf balls on the USGA conforming list.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don't know what list you're looking at Dave, but searching oncore in the ball list search brings up the balls

SIK Golf Flo-C

Don't know what list you're looking at Dave, but searching oncore in the ball list search brings up the balls

I'm looking at the USGA conforming list and I don't see it. However, if I use the search and type in OnCore, all of their balls come up. And like I said, I know I had seen them before. I remember being shocked they were conforming with the metal core.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've got a dozen Elixr balls that I won in the MGS raffle...can't wait to try them out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson