TESTERS WANTED! ×

Line Control vs. Speed Control

sumadoggie

So, I'm testing a couple putters: Evnroll ER2 and ER3.  I have better line control (that is, I seem to set up to my line better) with the ER2 and better speed control with the ER3.  Very few of my putts from 5, 10, 20 feet were off-line with the ER2.  Between the ER2 and ER3, speed control was basically the same at 5 and 20 feet, but for some reason my speed control with the ER2 was a full 12" worse at 10 feet.  

What would you choose and why?  

I'd say you should test some lag putts too. From 10ft and out, the make percentage is going to be relatively low but you really need to be able to guarantee a two putt from distance. That'll take pressure off your iron/wedge game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Your ability to properly align your putter can vary based on the visuals of the putter, so I'd suggest the one you can align and hit on your intended line.  With practice, you should be able to learn to control the distance.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You'll three putt more due to the wrong speed more than due to the wrong line.

I would find an instructor and find out what is causing the change between the two putters.  If you are lining up the ER2 fine, but are having trouble with speed, look to see if it is a swing-weight issue.  If it is a simple weight issue, that can be easily rectified. 

I'm with DaveP but both are important - if you can get the last be you should be able to adjust for the speed. Additionally choosing the wrong line can mess with speed on breaking putts.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Your ability to properly align your putter can vary based on the visuals of the putter, so I'd suggest the one you can align and hit on your intended line.  With practice, you should be able to learn to control the distance.

Agreed, had this issue myself, went with the one that I could align better and I am very happy

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Speed control all day long for me.  Generally if I have the speed right, I'm not going to be more than a couple inches off on shorter putts, and probably no more than 3 feet on even the longest of putts. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If the goal is actually making putts, opposed to 3-putt avoidance, go with the best alignment setup. As Rev alluded; it's a new wand and with practice the pace shouldn't be an issue.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

There's a reason Edel starts all their putter fittings with alignment.  If you can't hit the ball where you wanted to how do you ever expect to make a putt?  Continually missing 3-5' putts by an inch gets old REALLY quickly.

That said as you get farther from the hole pace becomes more important.  You still have to hit your line but if you keep leaving yourself 4' putts that also gets old quick.

My question is...why does it have to be one or the other?  Why not keep searching or tying other models until you can find something you can both align properly and control distance?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Personally, speed control is the holy grail for me. A little off on the line, no worries I'll have a tap in left. So many variables with line control, with the biggest being IMO being able to read the putt. No amount of alignment technology can help a golfer with that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

So, I'm testing a couple putters: Evnroll ER2 and ER3. I have better line control (that is, I seem to set up to my line better) with the ER2 and better speed control with the ER3. Very few of my putts from 5, 10, 20 feet were off-line with the ER2. Between the ER2 and ER3, speed control was basically the same at 5 and 20 feet, but for some reason my speed control with the ER2 was a full 12" worse at 10 feet.

What would you choose and why?

speed is 4x more important than line according to Dave Peltz and that guy would know

Bags

Speed over Line.  Speed is crucial especially with 15' and greater putts.  Obviously the line and read is important as well but if you can dial in speed, a putt has a greater chance of going in even if not started on the correct line.  Cup essentially becomes larger.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

... The three most important things to think about when putting is speed, Speed and SPEED. My favorite example is think about walking down a rocky path and your brain sees the rocks and guides your feet without you having to watch where you step. In other words, once you see the line the brain has it and you no longer have to consciously concentrate on it. This frees you up to just think about the correct speed. Don't get me wrong, the line is important but again your brain has the line once you look at it and decide what it is. 

... I used a drill where I had my students that were struggling with their putting take a cursory look at the line then ignore it and just concentrate on speed. Not only did their speed control improve, their line management improved as well because they were not over analyzing and agonizing about their line. The key is to simply not care about the results of your putt, just concentrate on making a good stroke while thinking about your speed. Think about an important par or birdie putt you missed because you put pressure on yourself to make it. The brain is an amazing computer and if you don't over load it, it will be free to operate at peak efficiency. So choose the putter that gives you the best speed control. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Personally, speed control is the holy grail for me. A little off on the line, no worries I'll have a tap in left. So many variables with line control, with the biggest being IMO being able to read the putt. No amount of alignment technology can help a golfer with that.

speed is 4x more important than line according to Dave Peltz and that guy would know

Speed AND line AND read are all important when actually putting, no question.  But when choosing a putter, your ability to read a putt is completely irrelevant, which leaves your ability to hit the putt on line, and your ability to hit the putt the intended distance.  From what I've read, and from my experience, its going to be easier to learn distance control with a putter that you can consistently hit on the intended line, as compared to learning to hit your intended line with a putter that, for whatever reason, you can't consistently align properly.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This is very much a chicken or the egg conversation.

I 100% agree that speed is very important and a person with great distance control vs someone without distance control is going to have less putts per round over the long haul.

However, If you can't line up a 3-5' putt where speed isn't as important and hit the hole you are going to 3 jack all day long.

You could be the best green reader in the world and have amazing distance control.  If you can't hit the ball where you intended to hit it, it's not going in.  Period.  

To the OP, I said it once and I'll say it again.  Why do you have to settle for one or the other?  Find a putter that works for both!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

FWIW, I will weigh in on the side of distance control as the primary variable.

Agree with the others who've stated you'll three-putt less with good distance control.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

FWIW, I will weigh in on the side of distance control as the primary variable.

Agree with the others who've stated you'll three-putt less with good distance control.

I'm in the same camp. For me speed/distance is my preferred variable. If I miss at least I'm close to hole.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am inclined to agree with GS Meyer on this one(except the chicken or egg). Why settle on these two putters? If one is giving you a good line, there's a reason. And if the other is giving you good distance control, there's a reason. You need to figure out what that reason is and combine the two. You may end up with a completely different brand. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if everyone would get professionally fit for their clubs it would solve a lot of problems. But I understand most people are like myself and can't afford to be fitted.

BTW it was the chicken!!!

CobraConnectChallenge3

If I can line the putter up right I can learn or fix the speed part of the equation. If I can't line it up right it's notgoing to matter what speed I hit the putts. Trust me on this one. It's what drove me to Edel, which drove my handicap down.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Distance control is king but on either one a miss is still a miss. How do I put this next part, if it were me I'd be Leary about buying a putter that I'm having any issues with though unless I'm 100% positive that it's because of a flaw in my stroke that I can fix and not that the club and I don't match.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Actually, it was the rooster

Is a rooster not a chicken? I didn't distinguish between rooster or hen. I just said chicken, which covers both rooster and hen.

776.jpg

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'd say you should test some lag putts too. From 10ft and out, the make percentage is going to be relatively low but you really need to be able to guarantee a two putt from distance. That'll take pressure off your iron/wedge game.

+1

Tazz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

... I was talking with someone on the course today and he didn't understand my insistence on speed alone. He insisted speed was useless if you didn't have the line. So I thought perhaps I was not clear in my posts. Of course the line is equally important as distance. The two go hand in hand. What I am saying is once you get the line, your brain has it locked in and there is no need for further concentration on the line.

... So whatever your routine is for finding the line, you would still use it. For me, it is a zen like concentration allowing my brain to take in the terrain, the slope and the line. I do not consciously find a specific line but simply look back and forth when over my putt until, like a toaster timer, my brain has it and chimes for me start my stroke, concentrating only on the speed. I am paying zero attention to the line because I already have that information and it is unnecessary to actively think about it, again using the example of walking a rocky path where you see the rocks but look ahead and your brain tells your foot where to step. So yes, the line is very important but once you have it, let to go and concentrate on the speed. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I got fit for an EV2 & it was about starting the ball on line. Loft was fit to be 0.5°. Really not a # I was expecting. Speed control can be dialed in. My Scotty's are in the garage ... all at 4° loft. So get fit ... you might be as surprised as I was.

Archived