TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dom's 2018 WITB (UPDATED 12-27-17)

Guys, this isn't about the donations. It's a WITB thread, I put the GoFundMe up there because I thought maybe a few of you guys would be interested. Clearly, I was mistaken and I don't mind. But, no reason to tell me off or rip on me without facts. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought I will find lower scores in new equipment and I know that. I work harder than many people seem to think, given I drive to my coaches facility 1hr away, 4 days a week for 5 hrs a day and workout 5 days a week. 

I tout the few high-end products I have because it draws an audience. Example: Pure745's WITB on GolfWRX.

All customizations, shafts, stamps, covers, etc. were either gifts, done/given to me for free, or paid for by myself. I don't feel it is that hard to understand this, yet I seem to have to say it over and over again. 

I have received kickback from many, many people for starting these but I truly don't understand why. 

I am sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you are a 16 year old kid who has better golf equipment then most of the grown men on here can afford and you are asking a bunch of random strangers to give you money so you can play in golf tournaments?  And you don't understand why most on here don't agree with your tactics?

I think you need to work on your social awareness, dude.  I appreciate someone pursuing their dream, but I don't think you are going about it in the right way.

I am sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you are a 16 year old kid who has better golf equipment then most of the grown men on here can afford and you are asking a bunch of random strangers to give you money so you can play in golf tournaments? And you don't understand why most on here don't agree with your tactics?

I think you need to work on your social awareness, dude. I appreciate someone pursuing their dream, but I don't think you are going about it in the right way.

But I don't pay for the equipment! If I do pay for some upgrades it is minimal. I don't feel like it's that difficult to understand.

I need the funding to play in events because my parents can not afford the money or time off work to take me to certain events and obligations, that is why I am asking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That's great, congrats on the successful business! I too am thinking about student loans, which is definitely not fun. It seems you are fortunate enough to have a car, so congrats on that as well. I don't pay for my equipment, my parents don't either. Companies send me equipment during the year to use. Not to seem like a dick, but, being a 6.7 index you probably don't get into many AJGA's, so I wouldn't say you don't play them because they are expensive. I haven't golfed with my dad in months, he works from 6 am to 10 pm every single day. As stated in the GoFundMe, it wasn't set up to buy equipment it was set up to help with costly golfing expenses. I actually sort of have a job in retail arbitrage, I buy limited items from Scotty, Bettinardi, Lamb, etc. and flip them for profit. So when I am free I do some of that as well.

Here's why I'm not a spectacular golfer: we don't pour all of our family resources into trying to get one kid to the PGA Tour. I am firmly in the camp that anyone can play on Tour, but obviously it takes a lot of money. I am sure I would have a + index if I had started at age four and had taken private lessons the last 10 or 12 years. I actually am happy with a 6.7 index, considering I have never taken a single lesson.

Regarding your equipment... I think you're missing the point. We get that you are not using this money for your clubs. However, you are literally asking people to pay for your competitive golf career. Think about it, who would rather pay for you to have a caddy over providing money to families in third world countries?

I'm sorry you haven't golfed with your dad in months. Maybe your priorities need to be straightened. Sounds like he is really working hard to support your dream. I think family time should be far more important than playing in a ton of tournaments. Don't take it for granted.

BTW, I actually don't have a car...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

But I don't pay for the equipment! If I do pay for some upgrades it is minimal. I don't feel like it's that difficult to understand.

I need the funding to play in events because my parents can not afford the money or time off work to take me to certain events and obligations, that is why I am asking.

I absolutely understand.  You already receive free equipment, now you want strangers to pay for tournament entries.

Again, some self awareness will go a long way for you.  

About your clubs. That's a very nice set. I think you did an excellent job piecing it together through all different venues. Props to you for obtaining all of that rare stuff.

If you're serious about a pro golf career, this 5k you're trying to raise wouldn't get you anywhere anyway. You would need a steady influx of cash flow over the course of multiple years in order to compete with any bit of regularity until you start earning your own. To do that, you'll need to find one or a group of venture capitalists who have enough extra to invest in golfers' careers. The contracts they offer usually bind you in pretty good even after you're established on tour so be sure to do your homework before entering into that agreement. That's how kids from non-affluent families fund their careers. They look for young kids to support so you've got that going for you.

Good luck!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I got a friend who was going through with his comeback from the Challenge Tour to the European Tour.

Minimum of $60K per year without any winnings.

On the other hand, we do get your point, but seems like you don't get ours.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Here's why I'm not a spectacular golfer: we don't pour all of our family resources into trying to get one kid to the PGA Tour. I am firmly in the camp that anyone can play on Tour, but obviously it takes a lot of money. I am sure I would have a + index if I had started at age four and had taken private lessons the last 10 or 12 years. I actually am happy with a 6.7 index, considering I have never taken a single lesson.

Regarding your equipment... I think you're missing the point. We get that you are not using this money for your clubs. However, you are literally asking people to pay for your competitive golf career. Think about it, who would rather pay for you to have a caddy over providing money to families in third world countries?

I'm sorry you haven't golfed with your dad in months. Maybe your priorities need to be straightened. Sounds like he is really working hard to support your dream. I think family time should be far more important than playing in a ton of tournaments. Don't take it for granted.

BTW, I actually don't have a car...

I've been playing competitive golf since age 9/10 ish, and started taking private lessons at around 12.

I'm asking for funding to help me be able to play in certain events and do certain things in which I cannot right now due to costs. I totally agree it is probably better to donate to a third world county, their problems are much more important than mine.

My dad works hard because he owns two businesses and wants a good life for his family, not because I want to be on the PGA Tour.

Playing golf with my dad is very important to me, but I know he would rather see me make on the PGA Tour than play leisurely rounds with him.

You said you pay insurance on a car and gas, so I thought you probably own one. My mistake.

I absolutely understand. You already receive free equipment, now you want strangers to pay for tournament entries.

Again, some self awareness will go a long way for you.

I am asking for funding to play in certain events and do certain things in golf that I am not currently able to due, given the cost.

I guess your statement is close to what I am asking for, but I don't see why that is so bad.

If you don't want to donate, then by all means don't. I'm not going to force a gun to your head for not helping out, I just put it out there for anyone interested.

About your clubs. That's a very nice set. I think you did an excellent job piecing it together through all different venues. Props to you for obtaining all of that rare stuff.

If you're serious about a pro golf career, this 5k you're trying to raise wouldn't get you anywhere anyway. You would need a steady influx of cash flow over the course of multiple years in order to compete with any bit of regularity until you start earning your own. To do that, you'll need to find one or a group of venture capitalists who have enough extra to invest in golfers' careers. The contracts they offer usually bind you in pretty good even after you're established on tour so be sure to do your homework before entering into that agreement. That's how kids from non-affluent families fund their careers. They look for young kids to support so you've got that going for you.

Good luck!

I understand that 5K won't get me far, but I am hoping it well help with costs for this year. If I put a crazy amount like 15/20K I know I would have been called out for it.

I would hope someone chooses to invest in my career if I can achieve more exposure over the next 1-3 years, but for now the GoFundMe is what I've got.

I got a friend who was going through with his comeback from the Challenge Tour to the European Tour.

Minimum of $60K per year without any winnings.

On the other hand, we do get your point, but seems like you don't get ours.

I was told it was closer to 100K, and I have stated this isn't for my professional career. This is to help with costs for now.

I understand why you guys don't want to donate, feeling like I am already privileged. I am privileged, I am more fortunate than many people in this world. But I can't do everything, because of the costs, so I wanted to set this up to see if anyone would be interested in helping me.

I understand that 5K won't get me far, but I am hoping it well help with costs for this year. If I put a crazy amount like 15/20K I know I would have been called out for it.

I would hope someone chooses to invest in my career if I can achieve more exposure over the next 1-3 years, but for now the GoFundMe is what I've got.

If it's an investment, what do we get back once you start making money?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If it's an investment, what do we get back once you start making money?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My question exactly. Why don't you sell stock so people don't feel like they're wasting their money . I am kind of sick of this conversation, so this is my last post on this thread (unless, of course, I get called out and feel compelled to respond). Bottom line: setting up a GoFundMe for your golf career makes you look like you have no work ethic. Your page comes across as quite arrogant and insensitive, your excuses make you sound lazy, and several of the remarks you've made make you sound spoiled and entitled. Okay, that's it. GolfJunkie302, signing off.

Nice stuff you have their; based on what I read consider yourself very fortunate to be given everything that you have. I'd personally be careful with all that flipping; the companies that give you all that may not like seeing that you are taking what was given to you just to get something “better”

As for the gofundme page, that is your choice on how to get tournament money. With Kickstarter, gofundme, and other similar pages this seems to be the way a lot of people try to get money to fund their dreams and other issues that have occurred in their life. We all have or have had dreams in our life and also made sacrifices or gave up on our dream I applaud you for the dedication you are putting into improving your game and chasing your goals. I think people are being a little harsh, but I don't think your responses generate a lot of sympathy and make you come off like a spoiled kid. Another approach may be to focus on a high school golf career, work hard to get a golf scholarship to help with the student loans, and then see if that can get you on the PGA tour.

Congrats on your achievements so far and good luck to you in the future.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Dominic this isn't hard for us to understand. The fact that you get free equipment already is a difference between you and virtually everyone else here. The rest of us range from buying whatever we feel like to scrimping and saving for last year's closeouts. None of us are getting free equipment. And we're generally not saving up for our summer tournament circuit. We're going to work and playing when we can rather than when we want to.

Several people have made comments about self awareness. Try to look at your posts through the eyes of a 35 yr old with 2 small kids. Or a 65 year old retiree. Or a 48 yr old recovering from shoulder surgery (waaah!!). These are the guys on golf forums. We talk about the game because we don't have the luxury of playing it every day. We connect to it , and to others like us, through forums such as this one. Looking at it in that light can you see why you're getting some push back?

You're already more advantaged in this game than many of us will ever be. Failing to recognize that and asking for funding on top of it is why you're seeing resistance. That's what guys mean when they say you need some self awarenesses.

None of this is meant to insult you. You seem surprised by the reaction you're getting and I'm trying to explain it as best I can. You gotta learn to read the room, man.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Just going to leave this with y'all. Couldn't stop thinking about this video: https://youtu.be/RGvrmltfMrA

I don't personally see Dom's GoFundMe bump as anything resembling a community faux pas. And I think to this point his replies have remained reserved and respectful. Carrying a competitive (+4) index at 17 is all I need to know about his work ethic before ever reviewing his amateur resume.

Just to even the keel a bit and get everyone on the same page:

A - As I understand it, while pursuing professional ambitions, GoFundMe donations will be slated for amateur competition expenses

B - WITB has been largely donated

C - A full AJGA/Junior World/USGA traveling schedule begins to approach the professional expense levels with the only recompense being potential college scholarships

Dom - my only advice is to be very careful about humping for SureStix because they are giving you free equipment

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I need the funding to play in events because my parents can not afford the money or time off work to take me, that is why I am asking.

I don't flip what companies give me, just what I buy.

I don't personally see Dom's GoFundMe bump as anything resembling a community faux pas. And I think to this point his replies have remained reserved and respectful. Carrying a competitive (+4) index at 17 is all I need to know about his work ethic before ever reviewing his amateur resume.

Just to even the keel a bit and get everyone on the same page:

A - As I understand it, while pursuing professional ambitions, GoFundMe donations will be slated for amateur competition expenses

B - WITB has been largely donated

C - A full AJGA/Junior World/USGA traveling schedule begins to approach the professional expense levels with the only recompense being potential college scholarships

Dom - my only advice is to be very careful about humping for SureStix because they are giving you free equipment

I appreciate this post, because that's how I feel as well.

As far as SureStix, I actually pay for those, but I get a discounted price. They are the best shafts I have ever used hands down, weather I have to buy them or not would still use them because they beat everything.

Dom,

Enough people here have given you grief, so I won't pile on.

I am assuming that a short-term goal of yours is to play in college. Either to get a scholarship to a D1/D2 school, or to play at a good D3 school. I can't help you there, as I was not nearly good enough to play where I went to college. But I believe there are a few former college golfers active here in the forums. I would pick their brains to see what they had to do to play in college. It sounds like you're on your way there already, but it's always good to hear from those who've already been there.

One piece of advice I can give you: put in more than you take out, whatever you do.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Dom,

Enough people here have given you grief, so I won't pile on.

I am assuming that a short-term goal of yours is to play in college. Either to get a scholarship to a D1/D2 school, or to play at a good D3 school. I can't help you there, as I was not nearly good enough to play where I went to college. But I believe there are a few former college golfers active here in the forums. I would pick their brains to see what they had to do to play in college. It sounds like you're on your way there already, but it's always good to hear from those who've already been there.

One piece of advice I can give you: put in more than you take out, whatever you do.

If I were to play collegiate golf, I would play D1. I have already had the fortune of visiting both Lipscomb University and University of Arizona to talk with the golf coaches. My coach has had 75 D1 college golfers in the last 8 years, so though I appreciate their opinions, I will stick with what I've got.  

If I were to play collegiate golf, I would play D1. I have already had the fortune of visiting both Lipscomb University and University of Arizona to talk with the golf coaches. My coach has had 75 D1 college golfers in the last 8 years, so though I appreciate their opinions, I will stick with what I've got.  

Well then Dominic, I was on board with you for a little bit, but this quote shows how stubborn and shortsighted you are at 16. It's great that you want to chase this dream, it's an awesome dream to have, but to completely go against wanting help from others who may be able to isn't going to win you any fans on this forum or in life. It's a lonely road out there alone and most of life is a relationship building business. 

You're 16, you don't know that yet and maybe the people pushing you might not be looking out for your best interest. Remember this, the road to the tour is paved with flame outs and people who thought they were good enough. Maturity, humility, and level headedness go a long way.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Well then Dominic, I was on board with you for a little bit, but this quote shows how stubborn and shortsighted you are at 16. It's great that you want to chase this dream, it's an awesome dream to have, but to completely go against wanting help from others who may be able to isn't going to win you any fans on this forum or in life. It's a lonely road out there alone and most of life is a relationship building business. 

You're 16, you don't know that yet and maybe the people pushing you might not be looking out for your best interest. Remember this, the road to the tour is paved with flame outs and people who thought they were good enough. Maturity, humility, and level headedness go a long way.

Bingo. It comes across as "I am not interested in building relationships or your advice; just give me your money"

Bingo. It comes across as "I am not interested in building relationships or your advice; just give me your money"

Agreed. I saw his most recent response last night and thought the same thing. Who knows who the actual members are on here in real life. There might be multiple people who have the coin or knowledge he seeks and be willing to invest in the kid, but the immaturity and lack of awareness he has shown would turn me off if I were in a position to actually help.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

As I stated, I appreciate their opinions and their wanting-ness to help me. But, I currently talk on a daily basis with many top college players and professional golfers on PGA Tour LA, PGA Tour China and the Web.com tour. So I personally feel their help and conversing with them is helping me more than just a person who played college golf. 

I understand how you guys feel I come off, but it's very far from how I am trying to come off. If you don't want to donate, then by no means to you have to. If you feel inclined, I would be more than happy to accept. No reason to try and argue, it's not worth any of our time. 

This thread has blown up for no reason, other than me putting a link to my GoFundMe page on here. It's a WITB thread, so I probably should have just stayed on that topic. My Mistake. Let's stop debating from here on out and just stick to the clubs, because I know we all have better things to do. 

As I stated, I appreciate their opinions and their wanting-ness to help me. But, I currently talk on a daily basis with many top college players and professional golfers on PGA Tour LA, PGA Tour China and the Web.com tour. So I personally feel their help and conversing with them is helping me more than just a person who played college golf.

I understand how you guys feel I come off, but it's very far from how I am trying to come off. If you don't want to donate, then by no means to you have to. If you feel inclined, I would be more than happy to accept. No reason to try and argue, it's not worth any of our time.

Maybe they can lend you something money?

Maybe they can lend you something money?

Unfortunately, they aren't making a ton of money from what I know and barely breaking even. On the Web even, after all expenses are paid you don't make a ton. Real money starts to flow in on the PGA Tour. 

I will stick with what I've got.

Smh. At this point I'd guess you're effectively stuck with what you've got.

Your fellow Spies are very protective (and rightly so) of the little slice of heaven we have here. So this is my last piece of advice; it takes time to build bridges and a single slip of the tongue can burn them all down. While they are not the source of instant gratification, grace and humility will always pay dividends.

BTW, I competed at every level. And if you desire the same life, at least feigning interest in the opinions of your sponsors is a requisite.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

As far as SureStix, I actually pay for those, but I get a discounted price. They are the best shafts I have ever used hands down, weather I have to buy them or not would still use them because they beat everything.

On a more WITB note

Tell us more about the shafts. I read their website and the seem to be only in IL. Are the an in house manufactured shaft or do the do something with off the shelf shafts. Seems like the used to be pure stix and are now sure stix. Based on that rename it sounds like something similar to what is talked about with purring, floing, and frequency matching.

Tried to read the slides but they flip too quickly and the videos were not extremely informative.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived