Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Martin Chuck's Tour Striker Academy

goaliewales14

Thanks for the Day 2 recap, I know it had to be tough given your mental state after the session, and I'm sure being physically exhausted.   I'll be curious today to see if they are able help you in anyway to see some positive signs of the massive changes.   I know it would be discouraging leaving 3 days of a school with a swing you are not comfortable with and wondering how long it will take to start seeing some positive results. 

I realize even the pros will spend hundreds of hours working on change, so we shouldn't expect miracles, but I also know (from previous experience) how horrible it feels to think you took a step back. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for the Day 2 recap, I know it had to be tough given your mental state after the session, and I'm sure being physically exhausted. I'll be curious today to see if they are able help you in anyway to see some positive signs of the massive changes. I know it would be discouraging leaving 3 days of a school with a swing you are not comfortable with and wondering how long it will take to start seeing some positive results.

I realize even the pros will spend hundreds of hours working on change, so we shouldn't expect miracles, but I also know (from previous experience) how horrible it feels to think you took a step back.

Read an interesting article recently, by an LPGA teaching pro, where she stated to expect it to take at least 21 days of concentrated practice to start to ingrain new swing position(s)/move(s).

Note that's _not_ 21 days .. it's 21 days of focused practice.

So be patient and keep working!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I have been to several 3-day schools, and your experiences sound very familiar.  Don't be discouraged.  This is actually a good time of the year to make changes in your swing, assuming you have a place to practice over the winter.  I don't know about Martin's schools, but hopefully he has a followup program where you can send in videos periodically and his instructors can make comments and recommendations to help with the swing transition.  It does take lots of focused practice --  21 days--  but if you are doing something incorrectly, it could make your swing worse.  Hence, the reason for followup.

Best of luck, and you should feel better after day 3.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The golf yoga was really interesting! He actually said that most people take one or two things out of the session that seem to stretch high tension areas. For me, I most likely won't do it before a round just because I would need to do it at home. Then I would sit in a car for 20 minutes or so before I get to the course. I would feel I like I would need to warm back up. I actually found a good warm up from Jess Shelton of Painless Golf, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzAWIHDoT_8. I do think the yoga we did would be great after a round as a cool down, but I don't see it being used in a pregame routine.

You definitely hit things on the head about tearing things down before you build them up. As I mentioned in the day 1 review, I'm an 18 handicap, so there is definitely room for improvement. I need to break some habits in order to see that improvement. This school is also a good mental test too. You have to keep telling yourself it's for the greater good.

As far as the rest of students, there were some that had their breakdown during Day 1, but felt better on Day 2. There were some that followed my path. I didn't see any miracles happen, but we are all making great strides.

Thanks for sharing - especially the video link. I've begun my exercise program (since it's snowing outside) to prep for next year's golf. There were couple of routines in the video I'm going to incorporate.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Man, making all of these changes to one's swing in such a short amount of time seems like overkill.

Heck, just changing my grip took months to get used to, so I am not sure how I'd fare at a place like this where they have you changing multiple things at once.

They definitely do throw a lot at ya .. and in a short timeframe .. to make you feel that you've gotten your money's worth.

But .. as Mike mentioned, and as I'd also experienced when I went to a school when I was just learning to play .. they will have you concentrate a bit more on your particular (worst) problem area.

And as KennyB said .. the follow-up is critical and may be one of the real value adds.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Day 3 is up!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I have been to several 3-day schools, and your experiences sound very familiar.  Don't be discouraged.  This is actually a good time of the year to make changes in your swing, assuming you have a place to practice over the winter.  I don't know about Martin's schools, but hopefully he has a followup program where you can send in videos periodically and his instructors can make comments and recommendations to help with the swing transition.  It does take lots of focused practice --  21 days--  but if you are doing something incorrectly, it could make your swing worse.  Hence, the reason for followup.

Best of luck, and you should feel better after day 3.

He does have a follow-up program that I'll get into during the overall review!

Day 3 is up!

✋️That was me asking about the fitting

I'm glad they noticed something and fixed it on the spot. Would've been a bummer for you to struggle with swing changes swinging ill-fitting clubs.

I'm also glad to hear you made strides before coming home. Would love to see before and after video/pics if you've got it.

Have a safe flight!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

✋️That was me asking about the fitting

I'm glad they noticed something and fixed it on the spot. Would've been a bummer for you to struggle with swing changes swinging ill-fitting clubs.

I'm also glad to hear you made strides before coming home. Would love to see before and after video/pics if you've got it.

Have a safe flight!

The app isn't letting me download the videos to my phone or laptop.  I might try to just take a screenshot and upload it that way.

Great review, Mike! I think I would really enjoy a school like that, but will likely have to wait a few years thanks to a kid in college and another getting ready to go in about 20 months.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Enjoyed your experience and you did a great job of bringing it back to MGS!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Another great recap! Thx! Really informative, and really enjoyable to follow along.

Two questions:

1. You referred to "Q & 'eh'" - does this imply these sessions did not seem that valuable?

and, 

2. Putting - in their teaching method, did there seem to be a preference for speed control (distance) or for line control (aim)?

From your narrative, I'm guessing which one but don't want to "lead the witness" here. Oh - and those putting tips you received and passed on are pretty good!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Another great recap! Thx! Really informative, and really enjoyable to follow along.

Two questions:

1. You referred to "Q & 'eh'" - does this imply these sessions did not seem that valuable?

and, 

2. Putting - in their teaching method, did there seem to be a preference for speed control (distance) or for line control (aim)?

From your narrative, I'm guessing which one but don't want to "lead the witness" here. Oh - and those putting tips you received and passed on are pretty good!!!

The "Q & Eh" was just taken directly from Martin's website, https://clients.uschedule.com/tourstriker/booking/event/eventdates/8179, on what he had as a tentative schedule for the day.  What Martin meant by it was during breakfast we could ask questions about something from the previous day(s), and/or about that day's schedule.  Normally, the conversation was more around who getting to know everyone better since we're all basically strangers sitting down to eat. 

As for the putting, it was for speed control.  We didn't get into line a whole lot during the session.  I did bring up the question around grain, but their greens were different due to the type of weather they had versus Midwest, so we couldn't really practice that effectively.   

Hopefully that answers your questions!

Yes - thx!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

This review by Wales14 has been outstanding...

I've been following Wales14 on his Martin Chuck Tour Striker Academy Adventure. Although I have never attended a golf instruction school/academy I also know it's not for me. What I have done is take individual lessons. Golf instruction like the game we play; can be many things to many people. I don't believe one size fits all.

I'm interested to read Wales recap and conclusion before I comment any further.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Overall is up!!!

Man, making all of these changes to one's swing in such a short amount of time seems like overkill.

Heck, just changing my grip took months to get used to, so I am not sure how I'd fare at a place like this where they have you changing multiple things at once.

Having been to several schools, my feeling is that schools are not for someone that is a good player that wants to maybe tweak something, or pick up a few pointers.  That's better done by your local teaching pro.  I do that on occasion throughout the year if I have a specific issue.

IMO, these schools are for people just getting into the game and people that have picked up the game and have been struggling.  In 3 or 5 days it's impossible to pick up more than a few swing improvements, but they help get you started.  In my case I wanted to learn a completely new swing (single plane swing), and I was willing to spend the time after the schools to work on getting better at it.  

People have to go to schools with an open mind and commit to whatever they can come away from the school with.  The school provides the basis for the principles being taught, but no one is going to go to a school as a bogey golfer and come back and come back a single digit.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great job Mike!!

I am somewhat curious about your description of how they set you up to play bunker shots.  It sounds like what I would envision for the "As Seen On TV" wedges; no practice needed, just hit the ball.

I'm happy that you got the opportunity to try a school.  I'm sure that what you experienced will have a positive impact on your overall game.  You made the comment that you didn't feel like you could go play 18 now.  Having been to schools in the past, I highly recommend that you don't play for a few weeks.  I know the temptation is great; I played 2 days after a school with a couple of MGS'ers on my drive home.  I had a lot of fun, but when I was playing I was using my old swing, not the one I was learning at school.  It took my awhile to get back into the practice mode after I got home.  

Enjoy it, and build on it!!

Great job Mike!!

I am somewhat curious about your description of how they set you up to play bunker shots.  It sounds like what I would envision for the "As Seen On TV" wedges; no practice needed, just hit the ball.

I'm happy that you got the opportunity to try a school.  I'm sure that what you experienced will have a positive impact on your overall game.  You made the comment that you didn't feel like you could go play 18 now.  Having been to schools in the past, I highly recommend that you don't play for a few weeks.  I know the temptation is great; I played 2 days after a school with a couple of MGS'ers on my drive home.  I had a lot of fun, but when I was playing I was using my old swing, not the one I was learning at school.  It took my awhile to get back into the practice mode after I got home.  

Enjoy it, and build on it!!

Thanks Kenny!  I actually found an old video that Martin posted on youtube for the bunker shots.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUiyA_Swyg

I completely agree with you on holding off playing.  Luckily, it's like 20* in Indiana right now, so there's not a chance I'll be playing anytime soon.

Thanks Kenny! I actually found an old video that Martin posted on youtube for the bunker shots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUiyA_Swyg

I completely agree with you on holding off playing. Luckily, it's like 20* in Indiana right now, so there's not a chance I'll be playing anytime soon.

Thanks for the video I'm glad that I envisioned it as you described so well done on the description.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Overall is up!!!

Great work throughout Mike. I'm sure your plate was full between working on your game and coming back to update us. I'm glad to hear this school went a long way towards your success on the course.

I'd imagine you're planning on spending the first month or so of next season at the range working with the app follow up. I'd love an update through that process with follow up once you hit the course (if you're feeling up to it).

Great videos too. I could spend all day on that beautiful range. You've got a much better swing than I was picturing in my mind based on your descriptions(no offense intended).

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great work throughout Mike. I'm sure your plate was full between working on your game and coming back to update us. I'm glad to hear this school went a long way towards your success on the course.

I'd imagine you're planning on spending the first month or so of next season at the range working with the app follow up. I'd love an update through that process with follow up once you hit the course (if you're feeling up to it).

Great videos too. I could spend all day on that beautiful range. You've got a much better swing than I was picturing in my mind based on your descriptions(no offense intended).

There are a few heated ranges around me, so I'm going to try to do most of the work now to hit the ground running in the spring.  That's why Under Amour makes cold gear right? :)  That should also give me more feedback for the app, which I'll definitely update everyone on who it is working and where my swing is at.

I was actually at a membership party at golf galaxy last night and grabbed a simulator between the 30 minute raffles.  Everything felt really good!  Granted it wasn't automatic, but I felt myself being able to drop 1 or 2 thoughts during the swing.  I've been gripping and regripping an iron every night while I'm watching TV, so that's becoming more natural too.  Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get a video uploaded to the app for Martin and his team to review.

No offense taken!  As Martin told me, that's what made it difficult to say let's change the grip.  It wasn't like I was hitting treble shots, as you saw with my driver pattern.  Everything was just set up for nothing but 100% power.

Great read, congrats on the trip...would love to go one day.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Finally had the opportunity to read through the review.  Thanks for the complete and indepth review of the school.  Sounds like you got some solid instruction;  just keep working on what they taught you changes seldom come easily

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 months later...

Follow-up is posted!  

Thanks for the follow-up, glad it was such a positive experience for you!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges