TESTERS WANTED! ×

Breaking News: USGA Eliminate Viewer Call-ins and 4 Stroke Penalty

tonyj5

The USGA and the R&A have introduced a new local rule and new video protocols for 2018. 

A working group led by the USGA and The R&A has unanimously agreed to adopt a new set of protocols for video review when applying the Rules of Golf. 
The group, consisting of the PGA Tour, LPGA, PGA European Tour, Ladies European Tour and The PGA of America, as well as the governing bodies, will implement the following measures from January 1, 2018: 

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2017/12/breaking-news-usga-r-eliminate-4-stroke.html

This should have happened a long time ago..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I read that on Global Golf Post. Good!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Long overdue. Glad they came to their senses on this one.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

It's about time, but I would have liked to see a time period for making any infractions.  If someone is monitoring the broadcast feed, then it should be obvious if an infraction has been made and the notification to the player of a penalty should be made as quickly as possible.  Similar to football reviews, if the person monitoring cannot clearly make the call before the next hole is complete, then it's a no call.  If it's questionable and the player has to be consulted, the notification should still be made as quickly as possible and the player gets a chance to review after the round is complete.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

About time!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

So....what happens if a player makes a blatant breach of the rules and nobody sees it other than a viewer or viewers at home? Or are the telecast team allowed to call in rules breaches as they happen? (sounds reasonable). Either way, a breach of the rules still remains a breach of the rules regardless of who calls it.

"Evidence" is via whatever means you come to an informed decision. I say - you can't can't have your cake and eat it. And before anyone gets on their high horse and says "it happens all the time in other sports like football and basketball etc" it still remains a fact that golf is probably the one sport where a penalty or decision can be applied retroactively without affecting the rest of the field or the outcome of a competition. The moment you say we can ignore a certain fact that can be proven in real time or by review, then you cease to be playing by the rules of golf as they are currently written.

My 2 cents.

Agree all- more than about time to make this change.  Just like in the Army Navy football game this past weekend, and probably many other televised sporting events- an infraction is caught after the fact- but the referees don't catch it- the next play happens - and the ruling on the field (or course, etc) stands... One of my favorite lines from the group I play with when dealing with such matters- once the ruling is made...

IT MAY NOT BE RIGHT, BUT IT IS OFFICIAL!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Well Lexi must feel like her pain caused a positive result. As others have said long overdue

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

They should have never allowed fans to call in rule violations. This the best change ever made and there are more that I would like to see. The belly and titty putter rule is stupid IMO. They should also look at going back and reteeing a ball if OB. It would speed up the game and everyone would be subject to the same rule which is fair.

Back to the viewers calling in thing. I was so pissed the last time that happened it took me two weeks to get over it

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Coming from a golf rookie, I never understood why they would even allow people to call in rule violations.  I am glad that has changed!  I realize (now after reading) they will have at least one person watching the feeds now.  But have the governing bodies had rules officials watching the feeds for infractions in the past, or is this a new "invention" with the new rule changes?  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Coming from a golf rookie, I never understood why they would even allow people to call in rule violations.  I am glad that has changed!  I realize (now after reading) they will have at least one person watching the feeds now.  But have the governing bodies had rules officials watching the feeds for infractions in the past, or is this a new "invention" with the new rule changes?  

This is actually a very good point. The ruling bodies had to concede in the past that anyone could indeed call in rules infractions because it fitted with the rules in terms of what constitutes "evidence". Likewise, in implementing the rules to their literal terms, they indeed had no option but to uphold any evidence obtained that clearly showed a breach of the rules had occurred.

Needless to say, these so-called "trial by tv" calls in p***ed a few people off - not least some of the pros making mistakes on live tv. Fast forward to now and the ruling bodies have taken the place of the viewer at home and will have their set of scrutineers looking at the live broadcast and making calls in the same manner that anyone not directly involved with the competition could make beforehand.

So in essence, nothing has really changed - only now they have closed the loophole on what beforehand made them look stupid to the golfing masses. So all the plaudits of "it's long overdue" and "about time" only serves to make it a mute point. Nothing has changed - only the method of delivery.

This is long over do, glad they made this decision.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

This is a rule change that makes me happy, long over due and will be well received I am sure. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

The USGA and the R&A have introduced a new local rule and new video protocols for 2018.

A working group led by the USGA and The R&A has unanimously agreed to adopt a new set of protocols for video review when applying the Rules of Golf.

The group, consisting of the PGA Tour, LPGA, PGA European Tour, Ladies European Tour and The PGA of America, as well as the governing bodies, will implement the following measures from January 1, 2018:

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2017/12/breaking-news-usga-r-eliminate-4-stroke.html

I agree with the majority that this rule change should have happened long ago. I'd also like to see all penalties removed where the player doesn't gain a competitive advantage. Think of other sports and try to find a penalty that doesn't come relate to a player gaining an advantage. If I were to win a tournament, I'd like to know I did it because I made the fewest strokes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: Driver- G400 44.5" 10.0 Alta CB Regular
:taylormade-small: Fairway Metal- M4 3-wood 15° Atmos Regular
:taylormade-small: #3 19* Rescue Mid Aldila NV Regular
:taylormade-small: P790 4-W UST Recoil SmacWrap F3 Regular http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Love.gif
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 50º, 54°, 58° XP95 regular flex
EVNROLL.gif ER7 34" Putter
Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer
Ball- Chromesoft, Bridgestone B330RX Tour

It's about time, It was stupid letting people call that in.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

This is actually a very good point. The ruling bodies had to concede in the past that anyone could indeed call in rules infractions because it fitted with the rules in terms of what constitutes "evidence". Likewise, in implementing the rules to their literal terms, they indeed had no option but to uphold any evidence obtained that clearly showed a breach of the rules had occurred.

Needless to say, these so-called "trial by tv" calls in p***ed a few people off - not least some of the pros making mistakes on live tv. Fast forward to now and the ruling bodies have taken the place of the viewer at home and will have their set of scrutineers looking at the live broadcast and making calls in the same manner that anyone not directly involved with the competition could make beforehand.

So in essence, nothing has really changed - only now they have closed the loophole on what beforehand made them look stupid to the golfing masses. So all the plaudits of "it's long overdue" and "about time" only serves to make it a mute point. Nothing has changed - only the method of delivery.

Didn't they announce also something to the effect of trying to get (many) more qualified rules officials on the ground and have one walking with each group?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Didn't they announce also something to the effect of trying to get (many) more qualified rules officials on the ground and have one walking with each group?

Basically, they (the rules officials) have took the place of the home viewer and spending a lot more time looking at live broadcasts for rules infractions and having more rules officials with each group as well. 

Like they should have done a lot sooner some would say. If you ask me, they still have egg on their faces from the previous incidents where they should have picked it up a lot sooner and applied the right ruling at the right time. 

The next revision will be that all players will be given a red beanbag, and if they want to challenge a shot they just through it out into the fairway.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

The next revision will be that all players will be given a red beanbag, and if they want to challenge a shot they just through it out into the fairway.

That's a great idea I could see a lot of shots on 17 tpc sawgrass getting the beanbag it 16 in Phoenix because it's too loud lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Or maybe a ref runs over to the player and hold up a yellow card..... ;-)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Then they can add spray foam where to take the penalty shot.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Archived