Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Looking for a little info on putter manufacturing/customization

Duffer_E

Cheers all!

I am a new golfer (~ 2 years of non-serious golfing) so I have no real handicap (if you twist my arm, I'll say I'm around +28-38).

I still game a Top-Flite beginner's box set, but I've started branching out a little for various reasons. I have added a Mizuno JPX 800 5i (I have a mental issue hitting hybrids, and found myself often in 5i/5h range), a Cleveland 56 Satin Black wedge (broke the Top Flite on the driving range -- not from a bad hit!!!) and TM spyder (red, no sightline) putter.

I plan on getting fitted for some GI gear next year, so until then, I will just drool over all the different sets out there and wonder which is the best for me.

Meanwhile, my question(s) revolve around the putter. Specifically, I went in to try a few different ones, and came away with the TM just edging out an Evnroll ER2. I came away from that shopping experience knowing that I have a *slight* arc to my putt. I still intend to get truly fitted for a putter when I do the fitting next year.

However, I am a little confused/anxious about it, simply because, while there is (IMHO) way too much diversity in putters out there, I'm trying to sift through/learn all the putter ling. I'm wondering:

a - Why do certain putters only come face-balanced, or counterbalanced, or have varying degrees of toe hang? Why does a company decide to build a specific putter with 30 degrees vs 28 vs 38, etc.?

b - Say (for example) I really like the look and feel of an Evnroll ER8 putter and love the groove tech, but it's specs do not suit my putting style (i.e. I need a putter with 30-40 degrees of toe hang, but the ER8 only comes with 28 degrees of toe hang). Is it possible to customize it so that I get my ideal toe hang?

c - Why do some putter specs list toe hang in degrees, while others list it as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full, and what do those ratings equate to in degrees?

d - How do the different necks affect a putter?

e - How does the shafting (i.e. center-shafted or otherwise) affect a putter?

My head is spinning more than my golf ball off the tee...

Duffer E

Driver:                      Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9.0° with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 (S)

Hybrids:                   Ping_Logo_sm.jpg.bab5d82feeb6c1d1d269eaaef76a487a.jpg G430 3H/4H/5H w/ Ping Alta CB Shaft (S)

Irons:                      Mizuno_SM.png.79ebc3bf5a5ec19aa06f2821a4124811.png  JPX 923 Hot Metal HL - 6i - GW w/Fujikura Pro 95 (S) 

Wedges:                 TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  Hi-Toe 3 - 54° and 58°

Putter:                    Odyssey_SM.png.4e85ba988090a20cc755973ae2f75c8e.png  Ai-ONE Seven S Putter w/  FlatCat_SM.png.5c2b89b42629f36382f02c3455ef1102.png Fat grip

Ball:                         OnCore_SM.png.17951bcd1a597a2911ba64f199fd4f90.png  Vero X1

Rangefinder:          Nikon.png.a63f6ac8870a8c288ccc9f61454788f4.png  COOLSHOT PROII STABILIZED

Bag:                        Ogio_SM.png.0c28c8267d041ff62082aef4c42bb18a.png  Woode 8 Hybrid bag

Putters are designed to help you get the aim and help the face rotate to the proper impact position.  This can be accomplished by changing the alignment aids, weight, offset, toe hang, and shaft position.   I have provided my thoughts on each of your questions below

a - Why do certain putters only come face-balanced, or counterbalanced, or have varying degrees of toe hang? Why does a company decide to build a specific putter with 30 degrees vs 28 vs 38, etc.?  Marketing is probably the biggest reason.  A manufacturers goal is to sell you a putter and people generally buy what the see pros playing or based on information they read on the internet.  ie.  a straight back straight through stroke needs a face balance putter.

b - Say (for example) I really like the look and feel of an Evnroll ER8 putter and love the groove tech, but it's specs do not suit my putting style (i.e. I need a putter with 30-40 degrees of toe hang, but the ER8 only comes with 28 degrees of toe hang). Is it possible to customize it so that I get my ideal toe hang?  Technically yes,  just depends on how much you are willing to spend.   There are companies that will customize a putter, but it generally isn't cheap.  A couple of degrees of toe hang won't make a difference.  

c - Why do some putter specs list toe hang in degrees, while others list it as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full, and what do those ratings equate to in degrees?  All manufacturers do things differently.  Face balanced would be 0 degrees,  1/4 would be 22.5, 1/2 would be 45, and 3/4 would be 67.5, and full would be 90.  you will also see clock positions,  3:00 is face balances, 4:00 is about 1/4, 4:30 is about 1/2, etc.  

d - How do the different necks affect a putter?  Necks impact things like toe hang and rotation.  the neck positions the shaft which will control how much toe hang a putter has.  Some people prefer the looks of different necks.  

e - How does the shafting (i.e. center-shafted or otherwise) affect a putter?  Impacts the putters rotation.  

My head is spinning more than my golf ball off the tee...  Welcome to golf

Duffer E

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've got a feeling Big Stu would say you can customize anything with lead tape...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived