Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Are your feet really shoulder width apart?

I heard many times over the years when taking my golf stance for a full swing, start with your feet shoulder width apart. Sounds reasonable as a comfortable, natural position for a solid golf shot.

I have however been noticing that my stance may be a bit wide and have been working on a narrower stance. It feels a bit weird at first, but I've noticed with my narrower stance my hip turn is much more fluid and quicker and has been a real eye opener for me.

Has anyone else gone to a more narrow stance after years playing shoulder width or slightly wider? How has it worked for you?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I think as we age it's easier to move through the ball with a narrower stance.  It's definitely a hip thing for me.  I broke my right hip a few years back and if I get too wide, I get stuck . 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

In my last lesson, narrowing my stance was step number one. I was at about 22” and based on my height and shoe size, I needed to be at 18”, which is measured from the center of the ankle to center of the ankle. A stance that is too wide affects turn, and proper weight shift. It has been an eye opener, and to gain some consistency with the width, I marked an alignment rod so I can have it on the ground while I hit balls for confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

In my last lesson, narrowing my stance was step number one. I was at about 22” and based on my height and shoe size, I needed to be at 18”, which is measured from the center of the ankle to center of the ankle. A stance that is too wide affects turn, and proper weight shift. It has been an eye opener, and to gain some consistency with the width, I marked an alignment rod so I can have it on the ground while I hit balls for confirmation.

I never knew there was a way to know if you're width is just right

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I never knew there was a way to know if you're width is just right

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's part of a teaching method... Not all coaches or pros teach this swing.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On my last round of the year a good buddy of mine, a former golf pro asked me a question. "Why do you have your legs spread as you do?" He never offered advice and I never ask. This one time I asked. He said bring your feet together till I tell you to stop. They were just under shoulder width. The next drive was spot on and clean. Something to be said for correct position.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Ole Gray nailed it--- Now I have not had any hip problems but when I revamped my swing a year or so ago I narrowed my stance It goes against most guru teaching but for us bigger guys it stops swaying over the ball. Really it is all in the isometrics and like everything else in golf it works for some others it does not. 

I was never an instructor or wanted to be one but I have always promoted the fact of own your swing and methods and do what works for you. None of us are built alike. I have never subscribed in the theory of a "proper" swing especially for senior golfers. My swing and methods are self taught and I also self analyze . That does not work for everyone either. From time to time I will self check myself on the range. On the course I do not worry about mechanics that much never have. If you see me on the range with the mini staff bag with several old shafts and the Home Depot alignment sticks I am working on something or doing a self check 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I don't worry about the width of my stance since it feels comfortable and natural to me. I don't (thank goodness) have any restrictive issues so far at my age. 62  Hopefully I can continue turning well and not get into swaying. That's another of the dreaded death moves IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I always thought that the distance between feet affects the distance of the ball. Feet closer together = shorter distance, feet further apart = longer distance. Is that not the case?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Agree with the majority of responders here - "shoulder width" is just a starting point!

The key, to say the same thing again slightly differently, is to feel "athletic" .. ie. so you are able to easily and quickly move in any direction. Wider / Narrower *definitely* is directly tied in to _your_ unique combo of body type and flexibility and mobility.

I've also had hip issues and was more comfortable .. and felt I could turn a bit more easily .. with a narrower stance. Even though a Coach (whose instruction I value) wanted me to widen out a bit. Maybe next year ;-)

Yeah, you can (theoretically) generate more power -- read: "momentum" -- from a relatively wider stance (eg. with driver in hand), *BUT* .. ..

.. unless you have the requisite strength plus flexibility plus mobility to make your turn back and through while maintaining a proper stance AND proper posture .. then you're likely working at odds to producing an effective swing..........

And kudos to pmookie for marking an alignment aid with *his* preferred setup! That's a great training tip and something I'm going to adopt .. thx!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I always thought that the distance between feet affects the distance of the ball. Feet closer together = shorter distance, feet further apart = longer distance. Is that not the case?

Opinion:

Not directly in and of itself. Foot width is one part of your total setup .. which is different from long/full shots to short/partial shots.

Maybe think of it as..

Long shots = power

Short shots = control

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

IMHO it works differently for different people. Now mechanic isometric wise you are correct. It depends on your shoulder and hip turn. In my case I can turn it pretty good but if my feet are wider I get off balance and I am liable to hit it anywhere. If you can stand wide and take a wide arc and stay on balance it may work great for you

There is so much conflicting instruction out there now days and a lot of instructors think their was is the ONLY way. My old man rest his soul was like that. I grew up on that course he ran and saw a lot of good players doing things their way. I know 2 great golf authorities say basically there is no proper way to swing or hit the ball and those guys did pretty darn well Mr Arnold Palmer and Mr Tiger Woods

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

A lot of pros feel this way, anytime they talk about more distance, they always start by saying to take a wider than normal stance, so you have a more stable and solid base.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I did an informal (not scientific) measurement and found that the wider stance changes the spine angle given your grip stays the same . Does anyone else concur? If so then do you change the distance (feet to the ball) ?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I did an informal (not scientific) measurement and found that the wider stance changes the spine angle given your grip stays the same . Does anyone else concur? If so then do you change the distance (feet to the ball) ?

Had to think on that one for a minute and run the mechanical scenario in my mind. You would be correct because the horizontal spine angle would change due to a bigger hip turn provided your body can turn properly.

That last part I can maybe explain a little more clearly or at least how I feel it works for me. Us older guys can not turn the hips like we used to and can not flex and clear but so far. If one tries to "force the issue" you can bind some and your mind will try to time it up (at least in my case) and that is where timing gets out of whack. The closer I keep my feet the less turn I have on the back swing and I keep my balance better . Now all I stated pertains to me and my observations on my own swing. Like I have always said everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you or anyone else

G

I heard many times over the years when taking my golf stance for a full swing, start with your feet shoulder width apart. Sounds reasonable as a comfortable, natural position for a solid golf shot.

I have however been noticing that my stance may be a bit wide and have been working on a narrower stance. It feels a bit weird at first, but I've noticed with my narrower stance my hip turn is much more fluid and quicker and has been a real eye opener for me.

Has anyone else gone to a more narrow stance after years playing shoulder width or slightly wider? How has it worked for you?

I'm a tad different, my stance width changes based on the club choice and shot type. The constant for me is the ball position always being 4 inches behind my lead heel, after that I'll adjust the width of my stance by shifting the trailing foot to where I have a narrow stance on wedges (less than shoulder width on some wedge shots) and wider more stable stance on the driver (slightly wider than shoulders on harder driver swings). A lot like Ben Hogan's thoughts in Five Lessons but the stance stays neutral instead of opening on short irons and closing on longer shots. Plenty of different ways to swing the club though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Had to think on that one for a minute and run the mechanical scenario in my mind. You would be correct because the horizontal spine angle would change due to a bigger hip turn provided your body can turn properly.

That last part I can maybe explain a little more clearly or at least how I feel it works for me. Us older guys can not turn the hips like we used to and can not flex and clear but so far. If one tries to "force the issue" you can bind some and your mind will try to time it up (at least in my case) and that is where timing gets out of whack. The closer I keep my feet the less turn I have on the back swing and I keep my balance better . Now all I stated pertains to me and my observations on my own swing. Like I have always said everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you or anyone else

Well said partner . My take on it is too wide and I slide 🏌️

Cleveland

Long time ago I noticed that high handicap players usually had a real wide stance, so I ended up over compensating by too narrow of a stance, shown to me by instructor.

Guess I'm more of a tech player so I work on being technical correct.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Well said partner . My take on it is too wide and I slide

Well I have what they call "happy feet" to begin with. I know exactly what you are talking about with the slide. Now remember what I said about everyone being built different? I am a prime example. I am 6' 2" but only wear a 32 length in pants. Short legs and a long torso. Especially being a little overweight I am basically top heavy. Simple isometrics If I get back too far I get off balance and out of timing for hip clearance etc. Sorta like putting a cheater pipe on a lug wrench. Back when I was younger and skinnier I did not get out of kilter so bad. If I did I had fast enough hands (in fact too darn fast) I could auto correct the club head position and my hip position would auto correct. I can not move like that any more got to damn old and fat so a year or so I had to make some swing changes. I shortened the swing and narrowed the stance. One positive about getting older is my hands slowed down some so my dreaded rope or snap hook does not crop up. I think I have only snap hooked 2 balls in the last 2 years. Both of those were in a scramble trying to "push the envelop" because we had a big hitter in the bunch. Now even with a narrow stance I still have happy feet always have and I guess always will

G

Agree with the majority of responders here - "shoulder width" is just a starting point!

The key, to say the same thing again slightly differently, is to feel "athletic" .. ie. so you are able to easily and quickly move in any direction. Wider / Narrower *definitely* is directly tied in to _your_ unique combo of body type and flexibility and mobility.

I've also had hip issues and was more comfortable .. and felt I could turn a bit more easily .. with a narrower stance. Even though a Coach (whose instruction I value) wanted me to widen out a bit. Maybe next year ;-)

Yeah, you can (theoretically) generate more power -- read: "momentum" -- from a relatively wider stance (eg. with driver in hand), *BUT* .. ..

.. unless you have the requisite strength plus flexibility plus mobility to make your turn back and through while maintaining a proper stance AND proper posture .. then you're likely working at odds to producing an effective swing..........

And kudos to pmookie for marking an alignment aid with *his* preferred setup! That's a great training tip and something I'm going to adopt .. thx!

Good topic, well said.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well I have what they call "happy feet" to begin with. I know exactly what you are talking about with the slide. Now remember what I said about everyone being built different? I am a prime example. I am 6' 2" but only wear a 32 length in pants. Short legs and a long torso. Especially being a little overweight I am basically top heavy. Simple isometrics If I get back too far I get off balance and out of timing for hip clearance etc. Sorta like putting a cheater pipe on a lug wrench. Back when I was younger and skinnier I did not get out of kilter so bad. If I did I had fast enough hands (in fact too darn fast) I could auto correct the club head position and my hip position would auto correct. I can not move like that any more got to damn old and fat so a year or so I had to make some swing changes. I shortened the swing and narrowed the stance. One positive about getting older is my hands slowed down some so my dreaded rope or snap hook does not crop up. I think I have only snap hooked 2 balls in the last 2 years. Both of those were in a scramble trying to "push the envelop" because we had a big hitter in the bunch. Now even with a narrow stance I still have happy feet always have and I guess always will

Dayummmmm we must be brothers from another Mother ! I'm 6'2, weigh 218 lbs and wear 32 length pants. My waist is 38 so I suppose you could put me in the chubby category too.

Cleveland

Dayummmmm we must be brothers from another Mother ! I'm 6'2, weigh 218 lbs and wear 32 length pants. My waist is 38 so I suppose you could put me in the chubby category too.

I'm 6'3" with 31 inseam. Guess I'm even more top heavy than you two. And at 310 I'm not a small man lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3" with 31 inseam. Guess I'm even more top heavy than you two. And at 310 I'm not a small man lol.

Lumber Jack!  Yea when you're a top heavy tall old man, it's easy to sway.   We're kind of like a tall pine in a hurricane.  lol

Cleveland

I am 325 and I have lost weight. In my avatar picture about from about 10 years ago I weighed around 360

G

I am 325 and I have lost weight. In my avatar picture about from about 10 years ago I weighed around 360

Dayuuuummmm!   I could hook you boys up to a plow and take care of the back forty... ;)  jk  Ya'll would make me look like Barney Fife  :blink:

Cleveland

...... I am 6' 2" but only wear a 32 length in pants. Short legs and a long torso. Especially being a little overweight I am basically top heavy. .....

Well I guess I'll make a foursome with you guys sometime .. similar inseam but then I'm only 5'7" about 155 lbs........!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Well I guess I'll make a foursome with you guys sometime .. similar inseam but then I'm only 5'7" about 155 lbs........!

Well that could be a heck of a defensive front line---- We could have Johnson and Johnson sponsor us for all of the athletic tape needed and get Brent Farve to throw in some copper fit stuff too. Try to get the Icy hot and Jack Daniels folks involved too for the after game woes--- Well if I still drank I would say skip the game and go to see Mr Daniels

G

Well that could be a heck of a defensive front line---- We could have Johnson and Johnson sponsor us for all of the athletic tape needed and get Brent Farve to throw in some copper fit stuff too. Try to get the Icy hot and Jack Daniels folks involved too for the after game woes--- Well if I still drank I would say skip the game and go to see Mr Daniels

Lol yea I'm getting too old for the booze myself. Time to go easy on the old body

Cleveland

• 3 months later...

So, I'm a little height challenged for my weight, and always felt more comfortable turning with a narrow stance. Last lesson, it was suggested perhaps I was a little too narrow (feet under the hips). I've tried to widen my stance but also turn out my right foot 20-30 degrees to see if that helped me with the turn.  So far, it just feels so darn different that I'm having trouble making good ball contact.

Could also be fact that its 38 degrees in Chicago and I hate hitting off indoor mats. Hope to get back on outside soon - and see if the wider stance helps - if not then I'm back to feet under the hips.

Just an older guy with 8 or 9 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag.

Archived