Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Dave's Take: UE BLAST Smart Speaker REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

UE BLAST: A BOOM with a Bonus

https://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/wireless-speakers/blast.html

UE BLAST - 4.jpg

Ultimate Ears for Ultimate Bluetooth Audio

Time and time again, I have been impressed with Ultimate Ears speakers. Those of you who have followed along with the speaker reviews, or checked out my audio addendum thread, know that my love and respect for the tune delivery of UE speakers is based upon not one or two models, but SIX MODELS. From the ROLL to the WONDERBOOM, these speakers are the gold standard portable audio units for me, by quite a large margin.

Today, we add a seventh model to the review set, the UE BLAST.

With the BLAST, Ultimate Ears brings their superior audio delivery to the world of smart speakers. Not only are we looking at a speaker that will pair with your phone through Bluetooth, but also one that has the potential to do so much more through the power of Amazon's Alexa wireless connectivity.

Audio First

UE BLAST - 5.jpg

For me, the most important thing to address first is sound quality. I really don't care what else a speaker can do if lousy sound quality makes me not want to listen to it.

I am happy to say, and not a bit surprised, that the UE BLAST has UE BOOM audio prowess. This speaker delivers the same rich, 360° sound that the UE BOOM and MEGABOOM speakers are known for producing. Bass is deep, perhaps not trunk-rattling, but like the other UE speakers, the BLAST delivers more bass than one would expect from a small speaker.

UE BLAST - 7.jpg

You can see from the family photo that the BLAST is not quite the same size as the BOOM. My guess is that UE needed just a little more room to house the Alexa-enabling hardware. Regardless, we are still looking at cup-holder portability. The BLAST will have an easy ride along in your golf cart, or in the drink holder on your pushcart.

The on-unit controls are just like those found on the other UE speakers. You control volume with the larger + and – buttons, with power and pairing controlled by the buttons on the top. The BLAST charges with the included USB cable and outlet adapter.

UE BLAST - 8.jpg

Additionally, keeping with the BOOM design, the BLAST is equipped with a carabiner-friendly D-Ring on its base. That D-Ring allows you to attach the BLAST to just about anything, but it also can be removed to enable a new way to charge the speaker.

UE Power-Up

UE BLAST - 1.jpg

The UE Power-Up system is new to the UE BLAST (and MEGABLAST) line. Once you swap out the original D-Ring for the one included in the Power-Up package, you can now charge the BLAST by setting it on the Power-Up base.

UE BLAST - 2.jpg

UE BLAST - 3.jpg

This will allow the UE BLAST to become a more permanent digital appliance, though it can be moved off of the base easily enough. This does ensure that the BLAST will always be charged and available, and charging no longer requires flipping open the charging port and attaching the cable. Plus, it's pretty hard to forget to charge the speaker if you have a charging base to put it away on.

All in all, the BLAST audio is just like BOOM audio, and for me, that's a really good thing.

The only real negative sound-wise with the UE BLAST is that it cannot pair with the other UE speakers in the PartyUp section of the UE BOOM app. Sadly, the BLAST must party solo. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed with a software/firmware update down the road, allowing the BLAST to join the party too.

Getting to the Point: The BLAST is SMART

Alexa logo.jpg

If all we had to look at was the audio of the BLAST, I can see where one would wonder about why UE would release the BLAST when we already have the BOOM. To put it simply, the UE BLAST is smarter than the BOOM.

Smart speakers are really starting to take hold in the marketplace. I think that Apple's iPhone Siri function is likely responsible for introducing consumers to the concept of voice control. Now, two of the tech biggies, Google and Amazon, are pushing the voice-control envelope, ideally pushing it right into your living room.

The UE BLAST gets its “smarts” through Amazon, thus making your new digital assistant Alexa just a spoken “Alexa” away.

When it comes to voice command, I'm kind of old school. I don't use Siri much, and I definitely did not have a smart speaker in the house before the BLAST arrived. As such, I went into the whole smart speaker thing bright-eyed and blank-slated.

As a long-time Amazon Prime user, I was most excited about using the BLAST to access Prime Music without the necessity of a cell phone intermediate. “Alexa play...” was the first command issued to the BLAST, and then the music began to play.

If you use Amazon Music, the Alexa interaction is very seamless. IHeartRadio and Tunein are also supported over wifi, but the real killer app is Amazon Music. They even hook you up with three months of Amazon Unlimited when you sign-in with the BLAST app. Yes, you will need to download an app on your phone to get everything connected and the BLAST running, but after that, BLAST can fly solo.

You can use the voice control to play specific songs, artists, and Amazon Music Stations (my favorite). Communication is easy, and Alexa does a pretty good job of understanding you, though when I ask for The Smiths, she always sends me to Sam Smith. What's wrong with The Smiths, Alexa?

You can also adjust volume, skip songs, repeat songs, play, and pause all just by asking Alexa to do so. It's actually more convenient than I expected, especially when doing something that is occupying your hands, like typing.

As for what else Alexa can do for me, that I'm still exploring, and I think that it's expanding as well. Here is a LINK to the Alexa part of Amazon. If you scroll to the bottom, you can see more of the things that you can do with Alexa, from ordering an Uber, to controlling the lights and thermostat in your house (add on products required).

As I mentioned before, I'm new to smart speaker land, and I don't know exactly what Alexa's job description will ultimately look like. I think that it will take some time to move from a phone-based wireless interface to the voice-based one from Alexa. It is cool though to see the technology, and capabilities develop. Check that link above. You really can do a lot of stuff with Alexa!

BLAST vs. BOOM vs. Amazon “Other”

UE BLAST - 9.jpg

The MSRP on the UE BLAST is $229.99, coming in at $30 over the BOOM 2's MSRP and more than that when you check the BOOM 2 prices on Amazon and Best Buy. Alexa hardware can be had for as low as $30 for an Echo Dot.

So is the BLAST worth it? That's really up to you and what you want to use it for. If you have neither speaker, nor Alexa hardware, the BLAST is right there price-wise. Remember too that the speaker will work just like the other UE speakers too. That's a huge plus if you don't have one yet.

If you are on the fence about the whole smart speaker thing, maybe saving the money to just get a BOOM 2 is the way to go. If you just want to chat with Alexa and hear music through her tiny speaker, go with the cheap Amazon device.

Anyway, the UE BLAST is a solid marriage of the UE high-quality audio and Amazon Alexa's smart-speaker platform. I'm curious to see if the whole smart-speaker thing really becomes an integral part of our daily lives or not. If not, you'll still be left with a great speaker.

Specifications: UE BLAST Smart Speaker

UE BLAST - 6.jpg

360 SOUND

·      Maximum Sound Level: 90 dBC

·      Frequency Range: 90Hz - 20kHz 

·      Drivers: Two 35mm active drivers and two 81mm x 39mm passive radiators.

HANDS-FREE VOICE CONTROL

·      Amazon Alexa built-in for hands-free voice on Wi-Fi, both at home or on-the-go. BLAST / MEGABLAST is a standalone Alexa enabled device and does not require an Echo or Dot.

FAR-FIELD VOICE RECOGNITION

·      Multiple microphones with beam forming technology and noise cancellation enable a smooth far field voice recognition and control experience. 

POWER

·      Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for up to 12 hours of battery life.*

COMPATIBILITY

·      Requires a Wi-Fi router with 802.11 a,b,g, or n for first time setup. Audio Playback supported for Bluetooth® devices with advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP).

WIRELESS CAPABILITIES

·      Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks

·      Bluetooth - Pair up to 8 Bluetooth® enabled source devices. 

·      Wi-Fi range: 100m / 330ft

·      Bluetooth range: 45m / 150ft

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

·      Wi-Fi network and a compatible Android or iOS mobile device required. Minimum OS requirements are iOS 10.2 or Android 5.0. Certain skills and services may require subscription or other fees. When tethering to a mobile device hotspot, standard data rates may apply.

WATERPROOF

·      IP67 waterproof and dustproof. BLAST can be immersed in liquid up to 1m for up to 30 minutes.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 3 months later...

Nice write-up.

I went to my local brick-and-mortar electronics store expecting to walk out with the Bose Soundlink. I, of course, had to check out every available option before buying, which led to my finding the UE Boom. I thought it sounded better that the Bose, and was a bit cheaper. The battery lasts a long time, and I like that I can buy other UE speakers and pair them up for outside or large room use. Or for putting one speaker on each corner of my golf cart just prior to being evicted from the course.

Great products.

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

• SPY VIP

Just a bump here to let you know that they are expanding the voice commands of the UE BLAST and MEGABLAST. If you use Spotify, this is pretty cool...

------------

Voice Control for Spotify Coming Soon on Ultimate Ears MEGABLAST and BLAST

Enhanced App Features Available Now and Grouping Later This Year

LAUSANNE, Switzerland & NEWARK, Calif. — April 19, 2018 — Today, Ultimate Ears announced new features for Ultimate Ears MEGABLAST and BLAST, the recently-released portable speakers from the brand's Wi-Fi and BluetoothⓇ smart speaker range, with immersive 360-degree sound and Amazon Alexa built-in. Available to all users, the updates further Ultimate Ears' innovative spirit, where speakers get smarter and better over time. New experiences for MEGABLAST and BLAST include:

• Enhanced controls on the Ultimate Ears app: You can now control volume remotely from the app, which is especially useful if you have your music cranked up loud and want to use Alexa. You can also check battery status in two ways - either through the app, or right from the speaker by pressing the “+/-” volume buttons simultaneously. Starting in May, you can personalize your sound for any artist or music genre with the custom equalizer (EQ).
  • Voice control on Spotify and more (coming soon): Just ask “Alexa, play my Discover Weekly” or any music from Spotify on MEGABLAST and BLAST. Spotify will soon join other Amazon Alexa supported music services such as Amazon Music, Deezer and TuneIn globally; and Pandora, iHeartRadio and SiriusXM in the U.S. -- use your voice to control music from these streaming services over Wi-Fi. On Bluetooth, you can enjoy music from any of your favorite music services.
  • A better way to listen with Spotify Connect (coming soon): MEGABLAST and BLAST will be the first Ultimate Ears speakers to integrate Spotify Connect. When on Wi-Fi, open the Spotify app on your phone and play music directly to our speakers (under “Devices Available”) without the need to pair through Bluetooth. Music fans can also stream the highest quality sound possible from Spotify. With Spotify Connect, text message or make calls without interrupting the music and save your phone's battery.
  • New grouping experience for smart speakers (coming soon)You can group up to eight MEGABLAST and BLAST speakers on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Stereo mode is supported when you connect two MEGABLAST or BLAST speakers. Optimized to take advantage of the speakers' built-in Wi-Fi capability, you will experience greater range for grouped speakers and improved connection reliability. Grouping is expected to be available later this year.

“We believe that MEGABLAST is the best sounding portable smart speaker available today -- with true 360-degree sound, its sleek, waterproof design looks at home with any interior and wherever you take your music, from kitchen to backyard, park to mountain,” said Charlotte Johs, general manager of Ultimate Ears. “We listened to our fans and have added features and functionality that they've asked for most -- we're excited to add Alexa voice control for Spotify, in addition to the many other music services and app features.”

Combining ultimate 360-degree sound, sleek design and the convenience of hands-free voice control on Wi-Fi, BLAST and MEGABLAST are part of Ultimate Ears' new Wi-Fi and Bluetooth smart speaker range. MEGABLAST and BLAST deliver a battery life of up to 16 and 12 hours respectively, a range of up to 330 feet on Wi-Fi and are waterproof and dustproof (IP67 rated).

MEGABLAST is the loudest, most powerful and best sounding speaker to date from Ultimate Ears. Meticulously engineered from the ground up with custom drivers to produce a full and crisp sound, MEGABLAST is 40 percent louder than Ultimate Ears MEGABOOM. 

Place BLAST or MEGABLAST on Ultimate Ears POWER UP, a convenient charging dock that makes charging easier. The speakers will stay powered on when placed on POWER UP, making Alexa voice control always available via Wi-Fi for music, smart home controls and skills.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

nice detailed write up. This looks a decent option over the competition.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

We have 2 of these speakers.  One upstairs and one in our basement.  My wife loves to take hers golfing and they are very good.  I also have the mini bose and I think the Megablasts are much better. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

appreciate the write up but I dont want to hear someone blasting music on the golf course.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 2 years later...

Hello...the incluced charging part is non working?Likewise poor is the data about 'Alexa', I don't have any acquaintance with it, and I don't get an unmistakable thought what you can do with it. Do you have to match the speaker with Amazon for sure?! Do you voice control your music in the event that you are playing music from a home worker? How? Or on the other hand is it just for requesting Amazon supplies?I have a Sony soundbar and it is exceptional, yet it is only a bluetooth speaker and mike (similarly as any BT headset)... What more would one be able to require or does this "Impact" offer?

pcb quote

Edited by MelliLewis