Sign in to follow this  
chemclub

The one word survey results

Titleist a ball company only? Wow they'd be unhappy with that assessment.

Vokey, Scotty Cameron, AP irons, Jordan Spieth, Tiger winning majors with his Titleist driver.....

I think they make clubs too. Other than the drivers and woods I've never liked them but I sure know they make them and when I see them in someone's bag I'm looking for a name on the side of it.

Like others I was disappointed that Wilson didn't fare better. Some of the comments here have helped me to understand why. If Barbajo pops in he should relay them to Wilson.

I can live with my C200's. That's all that I require from my irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I200's are way to clunky and boxy for my taste, and don't look good at address to me. the AP2's are nice, I have hit them before, but I can get other manufacturers clubs in the same category for much less money, I don't like paying “extra” just because it says titleist on it. When I go hit clubs, I hit whatever I can find in a LH model, sometimes even right handed to see how it feels off the face. I want to like some of the offerings from some manufactures, but when I'm standing over the ball theyvjust don't work for me. I'm not a big fan of TM but the p770's do look nice, there are a few Mizuno models I like, but I'm not sure if they make them in Lefty, when I get ready to upgrade to new I will be checking out whatever I can, who knows what I will end up with. They will be purchased with a few parameters.

1. Cost (have to be in the budget)

2. Must look good at address

After that I will try whatever I can.

I used to feel the same way about clubs; drivers, irons, and putters.  Then I read the MGS blog about putters, and why would people buy a putter for looks and not performance.  I know there are people that still buy because it looks good to them, but I always wondered why someone would buy a putter over another that performs better.  

For me the same is true for irons.  I love the look of a muscle back, and I still occasionally play my set of Macgregor VIPs after I reshafted them because they look good and feel great when I hit them well.  However, I can't hit them as consistently as other irons.  I bought Ping i20's when they first came out.  Hit them well and further.  My index went down.  I got used to the looks because I liked my scores.  

My point is don't automatically dismiss clubs because of their looks.  When you get ready to replace your irons, go get a fitting with an open mind.  Try different clubs.  It may be that the best irons for you may not be the best looking ones to you.  You can get used to the looks... and the scores.

• Like 4

Titleist a ball company only? Wow they'd be unhappy with that assessment.

Vokey, Scotty Cameron, AP irons, Jordan Spieth, Tiger winning majors with his Titleist driver.....

I think they make clubs too. Other than the drivers and woods I've never liked them but I sure know they make them and when I see them in someone's bag I'm looking for a name on the side of it.

Like others I was disappointed that Wilson didn't fare better. Some of the comments here have helped me to understand why. If Barbajo pops in he should relay them to Wilson.

I can live with my C200's. That's all that I require from my irons.

Yeah, considering they were the number one played iron on Tour this year, I'd say they do all right in the club category.  But ironically it was this exact conversation with a "staffer" that was the beginning of me changing internet homes....LOL

• Like 2

Yeah, considering they were the number one played iron on Tour this year, I'd say they do all right in the club category. But ironically it was this exact conversation with a "staffer" that was the beginning of me changing internet homes....LOL

IMHO, so-called "tour validation" is not the way for me to pick clubs (but that's just me). It's not that I'm absolutely even remotely in my dreams anywhere near in ability to a pro ball striker .. .. it's the fact that these guys and gals get paid $$$, under contract, to bag what they do.

It's a big part of their livelihood for many, and a sort of "insurance" against a weak earnings season.

A pro may prefer to play another brand .. but has been offered a very tempting sweet deal from Titleist. And they take it.

IMHO (again) a player at the pro level can hit just about any old piece of metal at the end of a stick and do well.

So Titleist spends $$HUGE$$ to promote their products. Possibly, Pro V1 sales help subsidize that?

I've also noticed many teaching pros .. and their pro shops .. seem to have an "association" (again, presumably paid) with Titleist to use and promote their brand.

I asked top guys in Acushnet Europe back when I was a journalist;

What is your number one golf club? The one that shows what Titleist can do. Defines the company.

The answer? "Pro V1"

• Like 2

Yeah, considering they were the number one played iron on Tour this year, I'd say they do all right in the club category. But ironically it was this exact conversation with a "staffer" that was the beginning of me changing internet homes....LOL

Just re-read my post replying to this .. kinda sounds like I was attacking your choice of clubs, and I apologise for coming across that way .. not intended!

Perhaps my post better belongs in the "Rant" thread. Guess I was opining on the reasoning some golfers seem to use in their equipment selections .. eg. 'well if ((so and so Pro Tour Player)) uses these, and he/she is good, then I should use them, too'.

• Like 3

Just re-read my post replying to this .. kinda sounds like I was attacking your choice of clubs, and I apologise for coming across that way .. not intended!

Perhaps my post better belongs in the "Rant" thread. Guess I was opining on the reasoning some golfers seem to use in their equipment selections .. eg. 'well if ((so and so Pro Tour Player)) uses these, and he/she is good, then I should use them, too'.

OH no. It wasn't you at all. My original comment was in referencinf the disagreement I had on the other forum about the success of their clubs. I should have been more clear. I only quoted your post as it referenced that topic.

As for the tour validation thing. I agree with you. It's nice to see. But I don't pick my clubs based on tour usage at all either. Oh sure I'm sure some of us might take some pride if Adam Scott ends up using the same driver we do. But I don't think most in this forum make our choice based on tour use.

The average guy at home who plays without getting involved in reading forums or researching clubs migjt to some extent.

By the way my comment was seen by a covert member here from there, who felt the need to go back and passively agreesively insullt me. (Hello there when you read this as well)

As a result the money I usually spend on their "club" will be spent to sponsor a new donor here.

Sorry for going OT.

• Like 2

OH no. It wasn't you at all. My original comment was in referencinf the disagreement I had on the other forum about the success of their clubs. I should have been more clear. I only quoted your post as it referenced that topic.

As for the tour validation thing. I agree with you. It's nice to see. But I don't pick my clubs based on tour usage at all either. Oh sure I'm sure some of us might take some pride if Adam Scott ends up using the same driver we do. But I don't think most in this forum make our choice based on tour use.

The average guy at home who plays without getting involved in reading forums or researching clubs migjt to some extent.

By the way my comment was seen by a covert member here from there, who felt the need to go back and passively agreesively insullt me. (Hello there when you read this as well)

As a result the money I usually spend on their "club" will be spent to sponsor a new donor here.

Sorry for going OT.

..cooooool mon .. thx ;-)
  • Like 3

I used to feel the same way about clubs; drivers, irons, and putters. Then I read the MGS blog about putters, and why would people buy a putter for looks and not performance. I know there are people that still buy because it looks good to them, but I always wondered why someone would buy a putter over another that performs better.

For me the same is true for irons. I love the look of a muscle back, and I still occasionally play my set of Macgregor VIPs after I reshafted them because they look good and feel great when I hit them well. However, I can't hit them as consistently as other irons. I bought Ping i20's when they first came out. Hit them well and further. My index went down. I got used to the looks because I liked my scores.

My point is don't automatically dismiss clubs because of their looks. When you get ready to replace your irons, go get a fitting with an open mind. Try different clubs. It may be that the best irons for you may not be the best looking ones to you. You can get used to the looks... and the scores.

I look at everything available, there are just products that I don't get along with, I will still try them, but past experience shows that they dont perform for me, there are a lot of new offerings from every manufacturer, so I'll have to try them all, or at least the ones that they will have, and find the best one for me.

• Like 1

It seems like the more heavily advertised companies fared the best. Which only  makes sense. Seems like Ping, is a very trusted entity. Bridgestone, which is my company of choice, seemed to be lacking behind. I don't believe it is quality of product, but the amount of advertisement. Not saying advertisement is a bad thing, just some companies have bigger budgets, while others don't or just satisfied with their niche in the game.