Why Are PXG Clubs So Expensive? New Video Blog Has The Answers...

GolfSpy Barbajo

From today's Inbox -- a new video blog featuring PXG founder Bob Parsons and brand ambassador Paige Spirinac. In the first episode they tackle the elephant in the room -- why are PXG clubs so expensive?

Thoughts?

• Like 3

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Perhaps the fact they pay someone who has no record of performing at the highest level adds to the cost.

Hard to reconcile high quality claims and high cost when they are paying 2 female golfers who aren't there for their playing ability. I'm pretty sure Paige Spiranic and Anna Rawson wouldn't get a cent if they weren't attractive. Do they base their men's deals on appearance as well?

I find it a bit insulting and a bit bewildering as a marketing strategy when they are supposedly all about quality and performance. If PXG clubs were so much better than everyone else, perhaps Paige could make a living out of playing rather than posting.

• Like 8

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Perhaps the fact they pay someone who has no record of performing at the highest level adds to the cost.

Hard to reconcile high quality claims and high cost when they are paying 2 female golfers who aren't there for their playing ability. I'm pretty sure Paige Spiranic and Anna Rawson wouldn't get a cent if they weren't attractive. Do they base their men's deals on appearance as well?

I find it a bit insulting and a bit bewildering as a marketing strategy when they are supposedly all about quality and performance. If PXG clubs were so much better than everyone else, perhaps Paige could make a living out of playing rather than posting.

It's all Bob Parsons. If you've ever seen any of his GoDaddy ads .. it's all about the babe factor.

(Now, as a red-blooded male I am *not* complaining about that .. just saying that's his "way"...)

He'd also sponsored Danica Patrick as the first female Indy driver - she never won, but then she wasn't all that bad looking, either....

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

I saw this yesterday in a couple places, and have just been waiting to get a few minutes to watch it.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Well said!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I suspect the PXG clubs are similar to the guy that told his buddy that he was going to design and produce the world's best automobile.   He said that he would use his MIT engineering training to design it, it would be made of the finest materials and it would be totally hand made. He said he would sell them for $2million each.   His buddy said, at that price you are not going to sell many.  To which the guy replied, I only need to sell one.  

While admittedly my sample is small, I personally have never seen anyone using PXG clubs other than the pros.  And even they are not continuously kicking the butts of those using other OEM clubs.   But then again, where I play, I don't see a lot of guys wearing a Rolex as well.

• Like 7

I suspect the PXG clubs are similar to the guy that told his buddy that he was going to design and produce the world's best automobile. He said that he would use his MIT engineering training to design it, it would be made of the finest materials and it would be totally hand made. He said he would sell them for $2million each. His buddy said, at that price you are not going to sell many. To which the guy replied, I only need to sell one.

While admittedly my sample is small, I personally have never seen anyone using PXG clubs other than the pros. And even they are not continuously kicking the butts of those using other OEM clubs. But then again, where I play, I don't see a lot of guys wearing a Rolex as well.

Same here - no PXG's on our course. However, I can tell you I see a lot of very low handicappers playing old clubs. My conclusion: it's the operator not the equipment.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't want to sound like I am on the Spiranac bashing train that I see in comments on other sites, but I thought she would be a little better of an actress. The fake laughter and banter was kind of grating. It wasn't really an effective ad for me.

I actually respect the idea behind PXG though - unlimited and to the max - I just don't think they do what they claim. I've hit them, the numbers weren't remarkable. thickish topline

• Like 4

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I've never even seen PXG off the course. The only player they have that has won anything of importance is Zach Johnson and since he switched he hasn't played that great. I'd like to see them and hit them once but I could never afford them. Even if I could afford them I'd probably buy Muira first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've never even seen PXG off the course. The only player they have that has won anything of importance is Zach Johnson and since he switched he hasn't played that great. I'd like to see them and hit them once but I could never afford them. Even if I could afford them I'd probably buy Muira first.

Ahem. Pat Perez has enjoyed some solid success since he switched.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Ahem. Pat Perez has enjoyed some solid success since he switched.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

That's true I forgot about Pat and Ryan Moore had a good 2016. Zach has looked out of sorts since switching though and Lydia went from in contention to not.

Ryan Armour won the first tournament of his career after switching to their irons and he isn't a staffer. I'd love to hit one of their wedges but there is no point since I can't afford it anyway. Interesting ideas I just think there is no way for them to back up some of their claims, especially with drivers that are USGA governed to the extreme. Surprised they don't make a non conforming one as well.

• Like 1

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I think this is pretty simple. I have no doubt Parson loves to play golf and he wants to make clubs and he has the ability to do so. (I'd probably try the same thing) However, it's sad to say it comes down to one thing. A rich man trying to get richer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think this is pretty simple. I have no doubt Parson loves to play golf and he wants to make clubs and he has the ability to do so. (I'd probably try the same thing) However, it's sad to say it comes down to one thing. A rich man trying to get richer.

I'll disagree with your last statement. If you want to make more money, one of the worst ideas you could have is to enter the golf equipment/clubs industry when PXG did. I think PXG clubs cost more because they do likely cost more to manufacture aside from being sold as premium options.

I think Parsons does this because he is passionate about the game and wants to do something "insanely great" to quote Steve Jobs. He is a double billionaire so could afford to run PXG at a loss, and I think he genuinely wants and believes he can make the best golf clubs out there.

I'm also not sure PXG is even losing that much money. Many people on here haven't seen PXG out in the wild, but we don't play at the kind of courses PXG's main target audience plays at. I spoke with a high end fitter last Spring and he said he fits more PXG than anything else right now. PXG is new and shiny and promising the moon. If PXG doubled the prices, they might actually sell more.

(Veblem good. Like any premium product, the more expensive, the more people covet it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good)

By the way, PXG also insists on custom fitting every club they sell. Leads me to believe that the fitting likely adds more to performance than whatever new tech they brought to the table but that is just conjecture. An uninformed person sees improvement after the fitting and attributes it to just the head.

• Like 6

I'm betting I could suck just as bad with PXG clubs.... so why would I spend more $$$ to do so?

If that's what makes you happy, I'm not going to say anything, but I'll just stick with what I thought/think was way too expensive when I bought them.... my MP 64's.

• Like 6

I'm betting I could suck just as bad with PXG clubs.... so why would I spend more $$$ to do so?

If that's what makes you happy, I'm not going to say anything, but I'll just stick with what I thought/think was way too expensive when I bought them.... my MP 64's.

IMHO your MP64s have the edge in the looks department. I have heard so many fantastic things about those irons. If I ever find a cheap set in good condition they are on my buy list. 

• Like 1

Hype and marketing to the max

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

Ryan Armour won the first tournament of his career after switching to their irons and he isn't a staffer. I'd love to hit one of their wedges but there is no point since I can't afford it anyway. Interesting ideas I just think there is no way for them to back up some of their claims, especially with drivers that are USGA governed to the extreme. Surprised they don't make a non conforming one as well.

The regular wedges aren't that special. They don't use the same TPE that the irons do. It's just a forged wedge. I've never had a chance to try the milled wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I really love the game of golf and if I was a double billionaire and could afford to lose money I would sell my clubs cheaper no matter how great they are. Loving golf is just not playing, but promoting the game and trying to get others to play too.

• Like 1

I'll disagree with your last statement. If you want to make more money, one of the worst ideas you could have is to enter the golf equipment/clubs industry when PXG did. I think PXG clubs cost more because they do likely cost more to manufacture aside from being sold as premium options.

I think Parsons does this because he is passionate about the game and wants to do something "insanely great" to quote Steve Jobs. He is a double billionaire so could afford to run PXG at a loss, and I think he genuinely wants and believes he can make the best golf clubs out there.

I'm also not sure PXG is even losing that much money. Many people on here haven't seen PXG out in the wild, but we don't play at the kind of courses PXG's main target audience plays at. I spoke with a high end fitter last Spring and he said he fits more PXG than anything else right now. PXG is new and shiny and promising the moon. If PXG doubled the prices, they might actually sell more.

(Veblem good. Like any premium product, the more expensive, the more people covet it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good)

By the way, PXG also insists on custom fitting every club they sell. Leads me to believe that the fitting likely adds more to performance than whatever new tech they brought to the table but that is just conjecture. An uninformed person sees improvement after the fitting and attributes it to just the head.

Several good points here. I think PXG either does make money now or are tracking on a business plan that leads to profitability. Sure Parsons can bankroll it to the hilt, but high margins are a good thing for a business. As someone said earlier, at these prices you don't have to sell many - but make no mistake, they're selling plenty. Recent stats show their dollar share in the market actually ahead of Mizuno. Sure its partly because of price, but there is some volume to back it up.

When it comes to business, golf equipment is just like any other product: margin over volume every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I'm sure one of the reasons fitters like selling PXG is that there's margin in it for them, too - it's what Hogan tried to do when they started up a few years ago, they just didn't have the marketing or bankroll to support the startup (lots of other mistakes made as well, that we don't have to get into here). If however many people are willing to pay that premium for the exclusivity, the pride of ownership, the perceived value and the experience, then hats off to whoever makes that model work.

• Like 8

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo