Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

UST MAMIYA IHS-991 Spin Wedge Proto

SPY ZINGER

These were produced by UST MAMIYA to enhance spin with the new CC grooves. Just got them today, so I thought I would share a few pics with you. They are graphite, but have a silver plating to them so they look like they are steel. I will try to get some more specs on them.

XXXIMG_0654.jpg

XXXIMG_0652.jpg

XXXIMG_0651.jpg

XXXIMG_0650.jpg

XXXIMG_0647.jpg

Posted Image

Heh... I think they're purdy! ;) :lol:

I wonder if the USGA will outlaw those to keep the wedge grooves rule "valid" (which it isn't cuz the only people it truly affected were us normal golfers. The pros just compensated and shots/scores haven't reflected what the USGA wanted)

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I was able to get a few more details on these shafts. They have been in development for the past four years and were designed to perform “better than steel”. The goal is to get the performance of steel with much improved feel. Many of the guys that have tested the shafts are seeing an increase in spin which is a positive with the new CC grooves. They are 125 grams raw, and uncut.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I smell a MGS test coming. I would love to see the numbers side by side on a stock shaft and a spinner shaft.

According to the people at Golfworks, the difference between a "regular" shaft and a "wedge" shaft is the wedge shaft is softer in the tip... same goes with those stock wedge shafts- they're tip-soft, as well. How this compares to a graphite, I haven't a clue- this is the first time I've heard of something like this.

With steel, torque is pretty much a by-product of a shaft's design... it's totally different for graphite. You can engineer any kind of torque, flex and ratio of the two anywhere you please- like the Wasabi shafts from Aldila- they're tip-soft (4.5 degrees of torque) but butt-stiff compared to the VS Proto having a stiff tip (3.2* torque) AND a stiff butt section... even though they weight the same (62g). I can imagine these shafts being like Aldila's Habanero or Wasabi, but I'm only guessing.

Definitely piqued my curiosity, though... Can't wait for a review!

• 1 month later...

UST MAMYIA IHS-991 Spin Wedge Proto

During the fall 2010 golf season, I had an opportunity to test the latest offering from UST MAMIYA, the IHS-991 Spin Wedge Proto. Over the years, I have found that the most beneficial time to test golf equipment, at least in Minnesota, is during the fall when the season is concluding. By this time, your swing should be in top form and it's a great time to compare new shafts with those you've been playing the entire season. Six months into the season, you should know how your current gamers are going to react to the swing you put on the ball. Comparatively, it's rather easy to detect changes in performance of the test equipment.

Out of the box, it's tough to tell these are graphite shafts. The ion style plating on the shaft gives the appearance of a dull titanium color. To the casual observer, it will appear as though you are playing a steel shaft in your wedge. They really look unique and reduce glare from the sunlight which is a nice feature standing over the ball. Uncut, these shafts come out to 125 grams and stack right up against their steel counterparts in the industry. The goal from UST MAMIYA is to have the weight of steel with the feel and playing characteristics of graphite. When tested on the PGA Tour this fall, players were reporting increased spin from the IHS-991's with the new ‘Condition of Competition' grooves.

Build Characteristics

Taylor Made Tour Issue Prototype

58 degrees

35” 1 degree upright

Swing Weight D5

Flex: 5.5 on Rifle scale

Grip: UST MAMIYA Tour PC

I had the IHS-991 installed into a Taylor Made Golf Prototype head with their patented ‘Y' Cutter grooves. The head was 58 degrees and was bent one degree upright. It was installed to a finished length of exactly 35”. The swing weight was right at D5 and the flex was 5.5 on the Rifle scale. The grip is a UST MAMIYA Tour PC .60 round with two wraps of tape underneath the grip.

When graphite shafts started to appear as OEM shafts by the golf manufactures there were usually three things you could count on; they would play a little longer, the would feel lighter, and they would be a tad less accurate than steel. As a result, graphite iron shafts never seemed to have a mainstream following on any of the professional tours, and seemed to be marketed toward seniors and ladies.

It appears UST MAMIYA did not want that stigma attached to the IHS-991, a shaft that is reported to have been four years in the making. Well after four years, I am pleased to say that I believe UST MAMIYA nailed it with this offering.

When you pull the club out of the bag for the first time and make a couple practice swings, you will not notice a difference in feel or cosmetics when you look down upon this shaft. At 125 grams, it's got the feel and appearance you are accustomed to. What sets this shaft apart from what you've been playing is the feel through the ball. It packs everything you remember enjoying about graphite iron shafts without the negatives that previously kept them out of the bag. The result through the ball is an astounding muted feel that complements the scoring clubs perfectly. The feedback this shaft provides is just incredible and what you've always wanted to feel off your wedges. This is true for both full swings out of the fairway or chip shots around the greens. It's amazing the stability this shaft has on full swings and out of the bunker, yet still offers the enhanced responsiveness you've never felt out of your iron shafts. The performance results of the IHS-991 are incredible. Although, I did not get an opportunity to hit the IHS-991 on a launch monitor, I did get to play this Taylor Made head with an installed steel shaft prior to playing it as installed. I really noticed an increase in spin from shots 50 yards and in, especially those around the green where I typically do not produce enough spin to fly it to the flag and stop it. With the IHS-991, I found myself having to chip pretty close to the actual distance to the hole because of the bite it put on the ball. I found the trajectory on full shots to be very close to the steel shafts I have been playing throughout the summer.

The IHS-991 really surprised me with it's performance and ability to provide the dispersion of steel with the feel of graphite. This is a welcomed offering in the age of V grooves.

UST will now call this shaft the IS-991 Spin Wedge moving forward. Should be out in full force on the PGA Tour in January, and probably launch it to retail mid-2011.

Posted Image

Nice review SPY. So do you think they will have a full iron set of this type of shaft? I mean if it can handle the full wedge shot and have similar feedback to steel with full wedge shots then these should be fine with all irons? I personally like the looks as it reminds me of the ION finish, which has been always one of my favorite graphite finishes. I haven't had any problems with spin so I'd be really interested to see how one of these would perfom for me in one of my favorite wedges. My only concern is if I would make the switch I would like to have the whole set in graphite. Do you personally think that this shaft will be able to handle the stress that steel can take? What I mean is I hit a fairly decent decending blow to the ball with say 7 iron down to sw. Do you think the graphite can handle that kind of impact stress? I see how they handle the torque when it comes to drivers,woods and hybrids but I believe the jury is still out on irons. As the head weight on the end of these shafts are obviously much heavier and chances for breakage has to go up somewhat. JMO

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Nice review SPY. So do you think they will have a full iron set of this type of shaft? I mean if it can handle the full wedge shot and have similar feedback to steel with full wedge shots then these should be fine with all irons? I personally like the looks as it reminds me of the ION finish, which has been always one of my favorite graphite finishes. I haven't had any problems with spin so I'd be really interested to see how one of these would perfom for me in one of my favorite wedges. My only concern is if I would make the switch I would like to have the whole set in graphite. Do you personally think that this shaft will be able to handle the stress that steel can take? What I mean is I hit a fairly decent decending blow to the ball with say 7 iron down to sw. Do you think the graphite can handle that kind of impact stress? I see how they handle the torque when it comes to drivers,woods and hybrids but I believe the jury is still out on irons. As the head weight on the end of these shafts are obviously much heavier and chances for breakage has to go up somewhat. JMO

All very valid points and and insightful questions my friend. I am going to do my best to get a hold of the set of the iron shafts when they are out. My best answer right now is, I don't know until I hit them. On that note, I take a very small and shallow divot so I am sure even steel shafts would provide a different feel for both of us. Just the same for graphite. I've got to believe they tested these over and over in the R&D process and hopefully, mitigated those concerns. Let me do some checking...

MS-I will try to find that out as well.

Posted Image

All very valid points and and insightful questions my friend. I am going to do my best to get a hold of the set of the iron shafts when they are out. My best answer right now is, I don't know until I hit them. On that note, I take a very small and shallow divot so I am sure even steel shafts would provide a different feel for both of us. Just the same for graphite. I've got to believe they tested these over and over in the R&D process and hopefully, mitigated those concerns. Let me do some checking...

MS-I will try to find that out as well.

Thanks buddy, I knew I could depend on ya..... :) On a serious note I can't wait to see how they perform for you and I might just have to see if I can get me a DEMO set to try out myself. I've never used too many UST shafts so don't know their Reps too well. But I think hearing your thorough review will help me in my quest.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Found out the MSRP on these will be $80 each, no word yet on the iron shafts.

As for durability over time, all UST shaft designs have to pass stringent durability requirements before they put them into the market. The wall thickness of heavy graphite iron shafts is much higher than steel shafts, and helps to withstand the stresses that are imparted by the weight of the iron heads.

Obviously you know, other OEM's and even players on all professional tours have put graphite iron shafts into play. Rich Beem, while a Callaway staffer, put them into play. I've never heard of durability being an issue.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived