TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron shaft flexes

Duojet33

Recently, I used a Mizuno shaft optimizer and the 3 shafts it recommended were:

XP 105 - stiff

Modus3 Tour 105 - regular

KBS C-taper lite - stiff

My question: Is the Modus3 bend profile that much stiffer than the others? The recommendation of regular flex for that shaft confused me a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There's no standard for shaft flex on the market so each company could be completely different.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Ethan nailed it-- But remember one thing else different shafts react differently with different heads for the following reasons

General overall weight of the head

Weight placement or COG of that head being is the weight mass low high or neutral

Hosel length and depth of the shaft in the bore of that head

And yes angle of attack and swing speed of the person using it

I will give you a quick example of this in a nutshell. Now remember I still mess with vintage clubs too. I would never dream of putting the 5.5 PXI shafts from my 2013 Cally Forged X irons in a vintage set of Macgregor of Hogan irons. The Callys have most of the weight really low compared to a MB iron and those shafts would never kick (tip flex) for me there. Now I could take a new set never tipped 5.5 PXI shafts and fit them to the Macs. That is why I caution guys all the time if they are buying pulled shafts to try to find out what kind and type of clubs they came from. Good example is a set of S-300s pulled from say a set of Titleist MB blades would more than likely work in a set of Mac blades but would not work well in my Callys.

I have been messing with this stuff all my life and I do not know it all by any means but I have several staff bags full of failed experiments even a recent one. I had always wanted to build a Carolina Special set of bastardized Macgregors. That is Macs with Hogan Apex shafts. That was a Carolina/ Texas thing in the 70s and 80s. I flat screwed up . I ended up putting a set of #2 Apex shafts in which I thought was like a R-300 but turned out they are like a senior flex. Too soft for me. I can pull them and hard tip them but I think those will be saved as they are for my golden years when I will really need senior shafts.

I have always been a big proponent of going to a good fitter and builder and go from there If you do not have the experience to fit them yourself. In reality golf especially equipment is very subjective as in what works for you may not work for me and visa versa

Hope I did not confuse you too much because sometimes I do get happy fingers. Sometimes I have a hard time writing what I think. Of course there are some great minds on here that know me and my ways and they can help clear up any confusion I may create

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks STU. What you said makes total sense to me. I knew there isn't a standardized flex across the board. I was really just curious about the difference in bend profiles for those 3 shafts.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated!

I am surprised by this recommendation. The Modus 105 (and 120) plays slightly soft to designated flex. The Modus 130, by contrast, plays pretty stiff to flex. I would hit all 3 of your recommendations before making a purchase but I'm guessing that you will move more toward the 105 in stiff

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I am surprised by this recommendation. The Modus 105 (and 120) plays slightly soft to designated flex. The Modus 130, by contrast, plays pretty stiff to flex. I would hit all 3 of your recommendations before making a purchase but I'm guessing that you will move more toward the 105 in stiff

I agree with you 100%. Having played both C-Taper Lt and Modus 105 this year.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks gaussman1 and Carolina. I've never played the KBS or Modus, but I have the XP 105 stiff in my current irons and I like them. But after hearing “everyone” gush about the Modus3, I really want to try them out. I'm going to get fitted again and buy some new irons after the new year. Thanks for your thoughts!

I don't agree I have the 105 modus stiff flex shaft in my Callaway Apex pros I find them similar in feel to the Ctaper stiff.

I find that the 105 modus feel stiffer than C taper lite in same for same flex.

Now someone mentioned the modus 120 shaft that feels a little softer than the 105 in the same flex.

The thing is  I`m trying to understand that each individual player will feel things slightly different. 

We all have different swings etc.

I would say use the forum for a brief understanding and then test them and make what you will of each shaft and how it feels.

Good luck. All the best and seasonal greeting!!

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

As someone who is gaming the 105 S, they feel like a middle ground between the XP R and S. The XP 105 S felt like rebar to me, actually kind of hurt my shoulder swinging my buddies.

FWIW my shaft optimizer had the modus 105 S as the top recommendation, and I believe at the 3rd was a KBS Tour 120 in regular.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I don't agree I have the 105 modus stiff flex shaft in my Callaway Apex pros I find them similar in feel to the Ctaper stiff.

I find that the 105 modus feel stiffer than C taper lite in same for same flex.

Now someone mentioned the modus 120 shaft that feels a little softer than the 105 in the same flex.

The thing is I`m trying to understand that each individual player will feel things slightly different.

We all have different swings etc.

I would say use the forum for a brief understanding and then test them and make what you will of each shaft and how it feels.

Good luck. All the best and seasonal greeting!!

I don't think they will feel similar at all and they produce two very different ball flights. Modus 105 is much closer to the c taper lite. The Modus 120 has a similar feel and flight to the standard c taper

Archived