When I feel my speed is off a few things I try to get better FEELS.

Ladder drill explained earlier but I end up placing a single ball at 10, 13, 15, 18, 20' - whatever variation of 2-3 ft increments, putt at a tee making sure each ball goes at least past the tee but no further than 2' past.

Another that I just started doing over the summer is drop 3 balls at roughly 20' away from a tee.  Take my setup to the hole, close my eyes, and then make a stroke. After the stroke I try to make a decision by FEEL whether the putt was short or long or pretty close.  Next ball do the same.  I feel this helps in really understanding the feel of the ball off the putter with stroke and where you hit it on the face of the putter.

Good luck and remember 90% of putting is knowing your are a good putter.

• Like 3

When I feel my speed is off a few things I try to get better FEELS.

Ladder drill explained earlier but I end up placing a single ball at 10, 13, 15, 18, 20' - whatever variation of 2-3 ft increments, putt at a tee making sure each ball goes at least past the tee but no further than 2' past.

Another that I just started doing over the summer is drop 3 balls at roughly 20' away from a tee. Take my setup to the hole, close my eyes, and then make a stroke. After the stroke I try to make a decision by FEEL whether the putt was short or long or pretty close. Next ball do the same. I feel this helps in really understanding the feel of the ball off the putter with stroke and where you hit it on the face of the putter.

Good luck and remember 90% of putting is knowing your are a good putter.

^Take note Spies; I can attest this manner of practice significantly improves feel

The only additional advice I can offer addresses my personal tendencies so take with a grain of salt. But when I am leaving putts consistently short; it's a product of forward stroke inefficiency (body parts not working in concert toward a common goal). In my case I get just shy of completing my back stroke and my shoulders subsequently begin the forward motion before my hands believe is appropriate. So instead of one unified feeling from shoulders to fingertips; I'm dealing with the feeling of quick shoulders and hands playing catch-up. The result is an early active release, less predictable strike/roll and often ends up short and off line. The remedy for me is to focus on completing my backstroke. I want the sense that all motion stops briefly before beginning the forward stroke. When I'm properly completing my backstroke, it feels like much less effort is required to get the ball to the hole.

Good luck and as CASH accurately alluded; the foundation of great putting is overwhelmingly psychological.

• Like 3

I bought a 33" ER2 as it was the length I had fitted my Odyssey 9 to and have had great success with it. It rolls very true and I have found with odd exception that I leave a lot fewer putts short.

I also practice from time to time with a drill from this link: http://www.golf.com/instruction/drop-5-strokes-10-weeks

It helps for sure. I am also reading the book "Better Faster" but have not put it into practice yet. I would rather play than practice, so I'm hoping the better faster book helps me build a plan that won't bore me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I bought a 33" ER2 as it was the length I had fitted my Odyssey 9 to and have had great success with it. It rolls very true and I have found with odd exception that I leave a lot fewer putts short.

I also practice from time to time with a drill from this link: http://www.golf.com/instruction/drop-5-strokes-10-weeks

It helps for sure. I am also reading the book "Better Faster" but have not put it into practice yet. I would rather play than practice, so I'm hoping the better faster book helps me build a plan that won't bore me.

He putts REALLY well with his Evenroll ER2 !

• Like 1