TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best course you've played/what did pay per round?

Qwkz51

What's the best course you've played and what did it cost you to play?

Montego Bay Jamaica cinnamon hill $150 a day plus caddie $50

<p style="text-align:center;">DRIVER: :callaway-small:  <em>Epic Sub-Zero</em> 9.0º Aldila NV-X</p><p style="text-align:center;">3WD: <strong>Tour Edge Exotics</strong> <em>CB4</em> 16.5° Aldila RIP-X Driving Iron: Taylormade RSI #2 DG X-100 HyBRID: :adams-small:  <em>XTD-TI</em> 23° Aldila RIP-X6-GW: :ping-small:  <em>G400</em> DG X100</p><p style="text-align:center;">SW: :ping-small: <em>Glide</em> 2.0 56* Wedges: :callaway-small: <em>MD3</em> 60<em>° & MD3 64°</em> PM</p><p style="text-align:center;">Putter: :cameron-small:  <em>Newport Select</em><strong>BagBoy</strong> <em>Revolver</em><strong>Volvik</strong>-<em>Vivid XT</em>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Royal Melbourne West course. Free, played as a member's guest.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Royal Dornoch, Scotland.  I'm guessing I paid about 120 pounds when I played it last, in 2012.  I've paid more for a round on a few occasions, but never played a better golf course.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Best courses I've played were Hideaway CC, and PGA West in the Palm Springs area, both were free. I've never played any “big name” courses, and I've never traveled abroad, so I guess $125 at the courses on Kiawah (not Ocean Course) would be the most I've spent...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Over my professional life, I've had the good fortune to play several courses of note.   The even better fortune was that they were business meetings, in a manner of speaking, and didn't cost me anything.   My wife's niece graduated with a business degree and got a position with a national consulting firm.   She asked me for my professional advice.   I told her to learn to play golf, take some lessons and hit the range.   More deals are constructed at the 19th hole than in any board room.   She has reported that she now shoots in the 90s and has played in multiple business related outings.  

I'm not sure how to determine "best course".  I've played so many beautiful courses, famous courses, and fun courses.  Not many fall into all of those categories, and I have difficulty selecting only one.  However, top 4:

1.  Bandon Dunes - Oregon       $100 + caddie

2,  Caledonia Golf and Fish Club - S.C.   $ Hard to say; $1100 stay and play; 10 courses in 6 days.

3.  Kapalua -Plantation Course - Maui     $175

4.  Gamble Sands - Washington   $100 not including lodging which is necessary.

EDIT:  OK, I have to add another one.  

River Islands -  east of Knoxville, TN  $50

On my many travels back to Tennessee, it is the only out-and-back course I have ever played.  Nice course, out in the middle of nowhere.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not sure how to determine "best course".  I've played so many beautiful courses, famous courses, and fun courses.  Not many fall into all of those categories, and I have difficulty selecting only one. 

I agree completely, I've played a bunch of great places too, and its impossible to really define "best".  I ended up picking the one course I'd most like to play again, the one where I had the most fun.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

For the scenery alone I'll have to go with Poipu Bay on Kauai island in Hawaii. I got to play there with my wife on our honeymoon 11 years ago. Still have a ton of bucket list courses I haven't gotten to visit yet though.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Pinehurst #2: $150 plus caddie.

Dormie club: $50

Wow, great prices in both cases!  And great courses too.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Boy this a tough one.

Honestly as I think about it now; some of the best courses I've played were not the most expensive which many times people seem to equate to the best. When I think of the best I tend to think of the ones I enjoyed most. This doesn't mean shooting the best scores either. Courses I'd play everyday if I had the chance. Interesting courses, great condition, score-able, fair designs, great greens, etc.

For example the Bandon Dunes courses. I enjoyed Pacific Dunes the most of their rotation. The Bandon courses were also the most expensive. Especially when you factor in caddy's. However, I don't think I'd enjoy playing there on a weekly basis. Our green fees were like $250+caddy. (Kenny can you get me the preferred rate next time?) Bandon definitely a fantastic golf experience and I might go again sometime. Highly recommended.

Here's two other courses I've enjoyed and would play over and over.... 

Pine Needles in Southern Pines/Pinehurst area.

$115-125 green fees. Very playable course and interesting in a lot of ways to me. Great condition and fantastic greens. Very fair design. Could play this course day in and day out.

Judge course - Robt. Trent Jones Trail - Capitol Hill  (actually enjoyed all three courses)

$65-75 green fee. Super condition tee to green. Fun layout and great greens. Interesting holes/routing.

Me and my group are sort of done with the $200-250+ green fee courses. Although we still want to get up to Kohler and give those a run.

This next spring me and the boys are considering Caledonia and True Blue + one or two others in the area.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Arcadia Bluffs, Frankfort, MI. Don't know if I've ever paid the full freight, but believe it was $140 the first time I ever played there. Looks like 2018 Summer rate will be $195. They're opening up a South Course; can't wait to play that as well!IMG_0581.JPG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

For the scenery alone I'll have to go with Poipu Bay on Kauai island in Hawaii. I got to play there with my wife on our honeymoon 11 years ago. Still have a ton of bucket list courses I haven't gotten to visit yet though.

I was lucky and attended a convention on Hawaii a couple years ago. Beautiful, if not necessarily “good” courses at Waikoloa Resort, but did play Hapuna, which is on high ground above the ocean. Beautiful, and a good track.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I was lucky and attended a convention on Hawaii a couple years ago. Beautiful, if not necessarily “good” courses at Waikoloa Resort, but did play Hapuna, which is on high ground above the ocean. Beautiful, and a good track.

I played Hapuna as well. The Big Island isn't nearly as beautiful as Kauai but the course was in great shape and fun to play. Arnold Palmer design if I recall correctly. 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

Arcadia Bluffs, Frankfort, MI. Don't know if I've ever paid the full freight, but believe it was $140 the first time I ever played there. Looks like 2018 Summer rate will be $195. They're opening up a South Course; can't wait to play that as well!attachicon.gifIMG_0581.JPG

That looks like it could be a ski slalom course in winter! 

Pebble beach long time ago I paid 350 with the package, well that's the only thing available for “tourists”. I got to share half my lunch with the seagulls.

I was supposed to play there two years ago and my wife ended up very, very sick and the trip got put off. Was it all it's cracked up to be?

<p style="text-align:center;">DRIVER: :callaway-small:  <em>Epic Sub-Zero</em> 9.0º Aldila NV-X</p><p style="text-align:center;">3WD: <strong>Tour Edge Exotics</strong> <em>CB4</em> 16.5° Aldila RIP-X Driving Iron: Taylormade RSI #2 DG X-100 HyBRID: :adams-small:  <em>XTD-TI</em> 23° Aldila RIP-X6-GW: :ping-small:  <em>G400</em> DG X100</p><p style="text-align:center;">SW: :ping-small: <em>Glide</em> 2.0 56* Wedges: :callaway-small: <em>MD3</em> 60<em>° & MD3 64°</em> PM</p><p style="text-align:center;">Putter: :cameron-small:  <em>Newport Select</em><strong>BagBoy</strong> <em>Revolver</em><strong>Volvik</strong>-<em>Vivid XT</em>

I was supposed to play there two years ago and my wife ended up very, very sick and the trip got put off. Was it all it's cracked up to be?

Yes, the view alone would cost 3 strokes a side minimum, for me anyway :). Plus the iconic shots you've just have to tried. On the par 3 17th the 2 groups in front of us did the Tom Watson thing, then the group in front of us did, naturally we did it too.

Of all the courses in the 17 mile drive area, spyglass Hills is my favorite.

Definitely Colonial in Fort Worth. Every year if you volunteer for the tournament and work 4 shifts you get invited to play a complimentary round there so all I had to pay was gas money. Doesn't get much better

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Barnboogle Dunes, Devonport Tasmania. My wife and I got to play for free (my daughter paid for greens fees and overnight lodging). Many years ago I 'played' numerous nice courses in AZ and FL as part of business meetings but didn't have an interest in golf. I used to say I play once a year whether I like it or not. Now that I'm retired my OCD nature has turned me into a golf fanatic. Wish it happened a lot earlier in life so I could have appreciated those courses.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yes, the view alone would cost 3 strokes a side minimum, for me anyway :). Plus the iconic shots you've just have to tried. On the par 3 17th the 2 groups in front of us did the Tom Watson thing, then the group in front of us did, naturally we did it too.

Of all the courses in the 17 mile drive area, spyglass Hills is my favorite.

Uggh...that's the excuse I'd like to use about Jamaica but mine was just general bad play, but the views were excellent and being that it was Christmas and I was playing on beautiful green grass instead of dirt and dead grass, it was pretty amazing. Maybe it'll work out that I get to PB yet!

FB_IMG_1513629001386.jpg

FB_IMG_1513628982757.jpg

I have played a lot of great clubs, which I played for free as a guest. Chambers Bay... a little over $100. Crosswater Club... $75 after 5:00 PM.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Barnboogle Dunes, Devonport Tasmania. My wife and I got to play for free (my daughter paid for greens fees and overnight lodging). Many years ago I 'played' numerous nice courses in AZ and FL as part of business meetings but didn't have an interest in golf. I used to say I play once a year whether I like it or not. Now that I'm retired my OCD nature has turned me into a golf fanatic. Wish it happened a lot earlier in life so I could have appreciated those courses.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Much like you, I started playing golf because it didn't take long for me to learn that golfing was a business necessity.   However, unlike you, it didn't take long for me to catch the "golf bug", so to speak, and it became a favorite activity as well.   I was required to document my continuing education, so golf courses were a significant seminar consideration.   Whenever, someone was trying to sell a product or service, at some point, the question was asked: do you play golf and where.  Everything else being equal, guess who was selected.

One of my more memorable rounds was at a health conference in Vegas.   While I function on the business end of things, I was accompanied by a radiologist, an anesthesiologist and a general surgeon.  We were staying at the Bellagio.  It was around 5 in the afternoon and a dice table was set up with no one playing.  So my associates decided to roll the dice, so to speak.   Now my associates were playing with their green and black chips, while I would throw out a rather lonely red chip.  While playing, we discussed our desire to get a couple of rounds of golf in the next couple of days.   Well, it got to be around midnight, when a bit boss came over and told us to hang around a little longer, he might be able to arrange a round of golf.   My associates made sure that it must be for a foursome.  Bottom line, we got comped to a round at Shadow Creek.  It was the first and only time, I took a limo to a golf course.   We got the "high roller" treatment.   I didn't see the need to tell anyone that I was not a "high roller", just accompanying some.

I am lucky enough to travel for work and get to play some cool courses.  Top of my list is Pasa below.

Pasatiempo - Santa Cruz, CA 

played 36 holes - $250 for first, replay was $100 or $125

So worth it.  If anyone is ever in the San Jose area its a short trip to Santa Cruz.  Such an experience walking the same ground as some of the legends of the game.  Pasa doesn't get much recognition probably since it is close to Pebble and Spyglass, but the golf itself its amazing.

Also played Southern Hills in Tulsa.  We were able to play for free once a year as an employee (I was a bartender).  It was before I played golf really but it is a fantastic course.  A huge storm hit 10+ years ago and took out a ton of trees which I have heard from members made it more enjoyable to play.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Hopefully playing Dormie club again next week

I'm a little jealous, but I got to spend a week at Talamore over Thanksgiving, and another week in October.  Let me know if you ever need a recommendation for bars and restaurants, I'm a plus handicap eating and drinking.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm a little jealous, but I got to spend a week at Talamore over Thanksgiving, and another week in October. Let me know if you ever need a recommendation for bars and restaurants, I'm a plus handicap eating and drinking.

It about a 90 minute drive for us, and the guys I play with have been to this area multiple times. It will just be a day trip for us. Now het I know the course a bit I'll probably suck this time, I shot 36-42 last time in wet, soggy, and windy conditions, the last few holes were into the wind and the temp was dropping.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have been fortunate enough to play the dunes club in new buffalo Michigan multiple times for free but favorite course I have paid for is for sure spyglass for 400 plus 140 for caddy

Grew up in that area.

I lived in Buchanan (east of New Buffalo) for 17 years, never got to play the Dunes, but I've heard it's really nice.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived