Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best course you've played/what did pay per round?

Qwkz51

Hard to pick a favorite. For scenery, and overall enjoyment, Wailea Emerald on Maui was great (played in 2000). Also played Kapalua Bay Course with my dad the same trip (because of my dad's age and forced carries, it was recommended we not play Plantation).

Riviera Maya Golf Club in Mexico rates highly in my book. It was about $225 for greens fees, club rental, and some balls. It seemed like a very fair course.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will go the other way:

I've played Pebble Beach, Both Black Wolf Run Courses, Both Whistling Straits Courses, TPC Sawgrass (thanks Jax), Black Diamond Ranch and Grand Cypress New as somebodies guest.

I can't begin to thank the people who took me to and paid for golf at those great places enough!!!

I've always said that the best course I've ever played was Black Wolf Runs championship course. It's not often available because it's amalgam of the two existing courses.

I've played that for $54.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Boy this a tough one.

Honestly as I think about it now; some of the best courses I've played were not the most expensive which many times people seem to equate to the best. When I think of the best I tend to think of the ones I enjoyed most. This doesn't mean shooting the best scores either. Courses I'd play everyday if I had the chance. Interesting courses, great condition, score-able, fair designs, great greens, etc.

For example the Bandon Dunes courses. I enjoyed Pacific Dunes the most of their rotation. The Bandon courses were also the most expensive. Especially when you factor in caddy's. However, I don't think I'd enjoy playing there on a weekly basis. Our green fees were like $250+caddy. (Kenny can you get me the preferred rate next time?) Bandon definitely a fantastic golf experience and I might go again sometime. Highly recommended.

I played Bandon 7 years ago and it was during spring break.  Prices have gone up as have the number of courses and their reputation.  I grew up an hours drive from the Oregon coast and have been there every month of the year.  It can be cold and windy in the summer and mild with no wind in the winter.  Of course, rain is always possible.  The green fees for resort guest is $100 in Nov-Feb, but the weather is a crap shoot and not something I would plan for a trip.  However, I will go back, but I will look for several days of dry weather and make the 7 hour drive.  I may not get a caddie.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played Bandon 7 years ago and it was during spring break. Prices have gone up as have the number of courses and their reputation. I grew up an hours drive from the Oregon coast and have been there every month of the year. It can be cold and windy in the summer and mild with no wind in the winter. Of course, rain is always possible. The green fees for resort guest is $100 in Nov-Feb, but the weather is a crap shoot and not something I would plan for a trip. However, I will go back, but I will look for several days of dry weather and make the 7 hour drive. I may not get a caddie.

That's one of my golfing goals - to get good enough so I can make a trip to Bandon .. to try each of their courses .. and without requiring the use of several replacement balls per hole!

But of the courses I've been able to visit and play so far I'd say West Point sticks out in my mind .. lot of elevation changes, basically almost no flat lies anywhere, interesting layout and variation in holes, definitely challenging but not ridiculously so.

They were remodeling the main clubhouse when we were there so the temporary one was the lodge at the bottom of the ski area there! Also, next door to that was a branch of the U.S. Mint so overall a bit of a unique experience.

Oh, I forget the price but it wasn't all that much .. and whatever it was, it was very well worth it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

As a Golf Course Superintendent I have been blessed with complimentary rounds on many courses.  Some of the more exclusive one's will have you pay a caddy fee.  (Pine Valley, Pinehurst, The Country Club etc) but most are good about extending professional rounds.

My favorites....Pine Valley, Banff Springs in Canada, the Teeth of the Dog in the Dominican, The Country Club, The Olympic Club, Salem....

I have always appreciated these rounds and oportunities!

Jim, the retired GC Super

Pebble, Pine Valley, Merion, National and Friar's Head are my top 5 that I have played. Didn't pay greens fees and played them for essentially caddie tips.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Shinnecock, Bethpage probably the best 2 I've played that are well known. Black Hall in Old Lyme CT is one of my favorites even though it's not. Big deal nationally known course.

Shinnecock I was a guest and have no idea cost for that day.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Hard to say what is the best course. Id say the most fun was World Tour in Myrtle, got to play holes from course I'll never get to set foot on in real life. 

Best course locally is Pheasant Ridge and its not that expensive. Very well maintained, true speedy greens

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Lots of great courses listed a few that are still in my personal "must play" list.

For me I would do Whistling Straits Straits course. Played it once as a Walkon and paid the going rate at the time of $250 plus caddie fee.

Was paired with a member that day and we struck up a nice rapport. I was his guest there everytime I went back to the area.

Have played Pinehurst 2, Torrey Pines, Congressional and a couple other TPC courses.

But if I could only play one of the above again, it would no doubt be WS. It changes so much from day to day. It's like playing a different course each time.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I caddied in high school so I was able to play a number of local country clubs for free. Most recently I got EagleSticks in Zanesville, OH for $25 through group golfer. One of the top 10 public in the state.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

It is official now, I am playing Dormie on Wednesday. Suppposed to be cold but it will be fun.

Have fun , play well. When you get a chance to play a special course a little cold doesn't matter

Rick

Left Hand, 

... Erin Hills the second year they were open and I was lucky enough to join the guys from Scratch Golf that had played it in the morning but their Euro rep had to fly back to England so I only paid $100 for a replay rate. Back then push carts were allowed so I got to use my remote electric cart and it was just awesome. At that time you could not see anything but the course itself from every hole so it felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. 

... I have told this before I think, but I was filming a commercial for Herb Kohler and he found out I was a serious golfer and told me he was building a course that wasn't quite ready to open but all holes were completed and ready for play. He said he would love me to play it and he would be interested in my opinion. Being an idiot and not asking more questions I turned him down. In my defense, I did not have clubs with me (Herb said I could borrow a set at the clubhouse), I would have had to spend the night in a hotel with no extra clothes, I had a wife and young boys at home that were expecting me back that night. All I had was the suit I was wearing and some jeans and a golf shirt and I thought I wasn't really interested in playing some goat track built by a toilet producer next to the windy lake in Wisconsin. LOL. Herb never told me it was a Championship quality course and he was courting a Major, as I am guessing he didn't want to bias my opinion. Not playing Whistling Straights and for free no less, is one of the few regrets of my golfing life.  :wacko:

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Erin Hills the second year they were open and I was lucky enough to join the guys from Scratch Golf that had played it in the morning but their Euro rep had to fly back to England so I only paid $100 for a replay rate. Back then push carts were allowed so I got to use my remote electric cart and it was just awesome. At that time you could not see anything but the course itself from every hole so it felt like we were in the middle of nowhere.

... I have told this before I think, but I was filming a commercial for Herb Kohler and he found out I was a serious golfer and told me he was building a course that wasn't quite ready to open but all holes were completed and ready for play. He said he would love me to play it and he would be interested in my opinion. Being an idiot and not asking more questions I turned him down. In my defense, I did not have clubs with me (Herb said I could borrow a set at the clubhouse), I would have had to spend the night in a hotel with no extra clothes, I had a wife and young boys at home that were expecting me back that night. All I had was the suit I was wearing and some jeans and a golf shirt and I thought I wasn't really interested in playing some goat track built by a toilet producer next to the windy lake in Wisconsin. LOL. Herb never told me it was a Championship quality course and he was courting a Major, as I am guessing he didn't want to bias my opinion. Not playing Whistling Straights and for free no less, is one of the few regrets of my golfing life. :wacko:

Oops......

Who knows, maybe you'll get another shot at it someday

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 1 month later...

Spanish Bay, but it was 30 years ago, so I'm not sure what my dad paid. I think it was about $75.

We had the choice of either playing Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills and Old Del Monte, or we could play Pebble for the then princely sum of $150 each. We went for the former. Dad and I second guess ourselves to this day, but we had a blast.

I got to play Dye's Valley this past Spring on business for free. The Stadium Course was getting ready for the Players.

The most iconic course in my mind is still Hominy Hill in Central NJ. My dad wouldn't let me play it until I could break 100 on other courses. Back before the proliferation of upscale daily fee courses, it was a regular in GD's top 100 public. It hosted the Publinx back in the 80s.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Edgewood Tahoe in the early 90s was thr most Ive paid. Forget if it was $75 or $125. Nice course but not sure it was the best Ive played. Last year I played a very unkept muni course on tge north shore of Oahu. Something like $60 bucks for two nines and 2 sets of clubs. First off with a great view was priceless! Elkhorn Golf Course here in Oregon has always been my favorite course to play. Tough but doable with great scenery and always well kept. Unfortunately the newest owners let it run down and I hear not worth playing anymore. Under $40 the last time I played in in 2005.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I took my clubs with me on my second anniversary to St. Kitts and played the Royal St. Kitts Golf Club then took a boat over to Nevis to play at the Four Seasons Course. Paid $125/$175 respectively in 2002. One of the first times I played next to an ocean course AND had Santa Claus holding me up on a hole! Thought I was seeing things, but sure enough, Santa was doing a promotional photo shoot on one of the greens for the upcoming St. Kitts tourist guide. Also, since the wind was blowing, one of the first times I actually aimed out into the ocean and had the wind bring the ball back in to the fairway. Of course I double bogeyed the hole because I couldn't putt, lol. On Nevis, the views were stunning, but dang, I should have double checked to see when they aerated. Playing such a nice course on bumpy greens did detract from the experience but it was cool launching a drive with a cruise ship sailing away only a few miles from shore in the background!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The best courses I've played so far would have to be Monterey Peninsula Country Club and Spyglass Hill. I'll be playing The Preserve in April, so I may well be adding that course to this list as well.. Not to mention still needing to go play Pebble.. I'll play there eventually... Maybe this year..

But going back to my current "best" list...

Monterey Peninsula Country Club: I paid $175 to play the Dunes course with a member this past summer. The course looks amazing after the remodel and I hope to get back out there and play again sometime.

Spyglass Hill: I paid $225 (Duke's club rate) + Caddie fee. Just another amazing course along 17 Mile Drive... One day I'll have played all the courses along that beautiful coastline...

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I haven't played that many "great courses" (yet). The most expensive was the Ocean Course at Kiawah, which was something like $125 surcharge on our package (all the other courses were free), 20+ years ago. Most memorable: Jasper Park and Banff Springs, both in Alberta, though the fact that we were on our honeymoon might have had something to do with it. Here's a twist, what's your biggest disappointment? Mine would be the Cascades course at the Homestead, in Virginia. Not much variety, blind shots, and mediocre condition for such a famous place.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Merion. Played there 4 times a year as my friend is a member. Played a round behind Nick Price the year Merion hosted the US Open that Justin Rose won. Makes the hair stand up on your neck when you're there with all the history. Truly a masterpiece with a natural layout

The best courses I've played so far would have to be Monterey Peninsula Country Club and Spyglass Hill. I'll be playing The Preserve in April, so I may well be adding that course to this list as well.. Not to mention still needing to go play Pebble.. I'll play there eventually... Maybe this year..

But going back to my current "best" list...

Monterey Peninsula Country Club: I paid $175 to play the Dunes course with a member this past summer. The course looks amazing after the remodel and I hope to get back out there and play again sometime.

Spyglass Hill: I paid $225 (Duke's club rate) + Caddie fee. Just another amazing course along 17 Mile Drive... One day I'll have played all the courses along that beautiful coastline...

Are you at NPS or something? When I was in Monterey played all of them except Cypress. You are in for a very special treat with the Preserve. It is so far off the beaten path that not too many people know it exists. Absolutely incredible.

Pebble is great for what it is. I was lucky enough to be close with a bunch of local industry guys and girls so was able to play it fairly regularly. I did pay once, took my dad out for Father's Day. Best day of golf I ever had! The two of us, double bag loop, a couple cocktails and cigars, all in about $1300. Worth every penny.

Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz is fantastic as well.

Are you at NPS or something? When I was in Monterey played all of them except Cypress. You are in for a very special treat with the Preserve. It is so far off the beaten path that not too many people know it exists. Absolutely incredible.

Pebble is great for what it is. I was lucky enough to be close with a bunch of local industry guys and girls so was able to play it fairly regularly. I did pay once, took my dad out for Father's Day. Best day of golf I ever had! The two of us, double bag loop, a couple cocktails and cigars, all in about $1300. Worth every penny.

Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz is fantastic as well.

Nope, not at NPS. I just live nearby in the San Jose area. Monterey is about an hour drive, so I try to golf out there as often as my schedule allows. And yes, Pasatiempo is also a great course!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Spanish Bay, but it was 30 years ago, so I'm not sure what my dad paid. I think it was about $75.

We had the choice of either playing Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills and Old Del Monte, or we could play Pebble for the then princely sum of $150 each. We went for the former. Dad and I second guess ourselves to this day, but we had a blast.

I got to play Dye's Valley this past Spring on business for free. The Stadium Course was getting ready for the Players.

The most iconic course in my mind is still Hominy Hill in Central NJ. My dad wouldn't let me play it until I could break 100 on other courses. Back before the proliferation of upscale daily fee courses, it was a regular in GD's top 100 public. It hosted the Publinx back in the 80s.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Wow! I live in Monmouth County, hominy hill is nice but now is way too over rated in my opinion but from everyone that knew the course before is became part of the County course system says it was a gem, not saying that it isn't now but way too slow/ over priced in comparison to other MOnmouth county courses and constantly crowded.

Wow! I live in Monmouth County, hominy hill is nice but now is way too over rated in my opinion but from everyone that knew the course before is became part of the County course system says it was a gem, not saying that it isn't now but way too slow/ over priced in comparison to other MOnmouth county courses and constantly crowded.

Oh, I don't doubt it's way too crowded and slow to play now. And I probably remember it as being better than it actually was. It's just that we always spoke of it in hushed tones because it was the best of the best of what was available to us. It's also the course where I first beat my grandfather, and he was a 4 back then.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

... I have told this before I think, but I was filming a commercial for Herb Kohler and he found out I was a serious golfer and told me he was building a course that wasn't quite ready to open but all holes were completed and ready for play. He said he would love me to play it and he would be interested in my opinion. Being an idiot and not asking more questions I turned him down. In my defense, I did not have clubs with me (Herb said I could borrow a set at the clubhouse), I would have had to spend the night in a hotel with no extra clothes, I had a wife and young boys at home that were expecting me back that night. All I had was the suit I was wearing and some jeans and a golf shirt and I thought I wasn't really interested in playing some goat track built by a toilet producer next to the windy lake in Wisconsin. LOL. Herb never told me it was a Championship quality course and he was courting a Major, as I am guessing he didn't want to bias my opinion. Not playing Whistling Straights and for free no less, is one of the few regrets of my golfing life.  :wacko:

When I was working, one of my clients sponsored a corporate tent on the 18th hole at the US Women's Open at Blackwolf Run.  One of the 'perks' was an opportunity to play Whistling Straits just prior to its opening.  Shotgun start, and I was having one of my best rounds ever until the second to last hole, a par 5, when for the first time all day I drove into the 'grasses' lining the fairways.  Didn't take my medicine, tried to hack out--several times, finding all of the multitude of hazards that course offers, on my way to a 10 on the hole (had to count them all 'cause the client was looking to get all my money).  Awesome day, nonetheless, we ran into Pete Dye several times during the round as he was cruising around in his golf cart with some sort of big dog.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

What's the best course you've played and what did it cost you to play?

Montego Bay Jamaica cinnamon hill $150 a day plus caddie $50

I'm not a good enough golfer to really know what the "best" golf course I've ever played.  And I"m fortunate enough to be able to say the cost of a round on a bucket list type of course never factors into the determination of whether I'll play a course or not (someone said to me once--20 years from now, will you remember you played a great course or will you miss the $xxxx dollars you paid to play that course?).  And, lucky as well, being in the corporate world, to have many, many of the rounds on fine courses comped.  But, what I would say, there are several courses in the great category that were also very fun, enjoyable and memorable to play.  Tops on the list is Kapalua Plantation.  Cascata in Las Vegas was extremely fun and enjoyable.  Like Rev, I'm a huge fan of Blackwolf Run and have played the original configuration several times and agree totally with his assessment.  Milwaukee Country Club, always high on the top 100 list, is also very fun and memorable.  Maybe not in the "great category", but the Jones course at Treetops in Gaylord, Michigan is another very fun and very enjoyable course.  And finally, since it's here, and I get to play it a lot and watch the Players every year on it, the TPC Stadium course at Sawgrass is awesome (particularly when I get to play it for $75 per round, which happens about 4 times a year!).  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Archived