Middler

Poll: What's the highest loft wedge you carry regularly?

Highest Loft Wedge You Carry  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What's the highest loft wedge you carry regularly?

• 55-56 degrees
    • 57-58
    • 59-60
    • 61-62
    • 63-64
    • Other

This is a good discussion I think, just to reiterate, I'm not trying to argue with anyone on why they carry a 60* wedge, just more or less curious about the ones saying they have one, but really don't use it, thinking that it could be better to have a different club in the bag instead. I know guys that carry 1 wedge, I also know guys that carry 5, and everything in between. I wouldn't begin to tell anyone what or how many of something to carry. It's merely just curiosity. May they know something that I have missed, or maybe it helps them to think about something else.

It's my club out of greenside bunkers and rough. Use it from about 60 yards and in off the fairway

I carry a 60 and probably use it most of the time I go out. It's part of my. course strategy since we have very narrow approaches to our greens and they're surrounded by bunkers. So the safest bet for me is to hit an iron short of the green and that's when 60 comes out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Been rocking a 52/56/60 but thinking of changing to 50/54/58 to be consistent with my iron gapping. But have turned into a bit of a wedge hoe lately as I have most numbers from 50-62 and multiples of some.

Been thinking of dropping the set PW, but not sure how much I'd use it. My 56/58 is usually the magic man around the greens

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been rocking a 52/56/60 but thinking of changing to 50/54/58 to be consistent with my iron gapping. But have turned into a bit of a wedge hoe lately as I have most numbers from 50-62 and multiples of some.

Been thinking of dropping the set PW, but not sure how much I'd use it. My 56/58 is usually the magic man around the greens

Not to digress from the main topic, but just wanted to "second" your wedge choices .. I changed out my set's PW (45°) and then go 50-54-58.

I wouldn't pretend to know better, but there's no way I'd even consider a 64*. And he says we need 4-5 wedges! I've even ruled out a 60* since my full swing 56* goes so high it's absurd. And I can stop anything from an 8 iron on up, why do I need even more loft? YMMV

https://youtu.be/tOzkOuZb9Xk

Not to digress away from the topic again, but .. Yeah, this strikes me as curious also. Pelz was the guy .. famously reinforced in Phil's "Secrets of The Short Game" .. who advocated using 4 different swing efforts - ie. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full - with each wedge to get 4 different distances. So... 4 wedges would yield a player up to 16 distances.....

I've also had two different instructors tell me, after I'd asked about wedge lofts / suggestions for my game (total hacker), that ams don't have the swing speed nor the commitment to the shot to properly handle anything 60 or higher.

Not to digress away from the topic again, but .. Yeah, this strikes me as curious also. Pelz was the guy .. famously reinforced in Phil's "Secrets of The Short Game" .. who advocated using 4 different swing efforts - ie. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full - with each wedge to get 4 different distances. So... 4 wedges would yield a player up to 16 distances.....

I've also had two different instructors tell me, after I'd asked about wedge lofts / suggestions for my game (total hacker), that ams don't have the swing speed nor the commitment to the shot to properly handle anything 60 or higher.

I'm a high handicapper but wouldn't know what I'd do without my 60. It's bailed me out many times. Having said that I can't imagine having a 64 in my bag just wouldn't have a use for it. Of course Cleveland would like that in our bag . My instructor said it's the most difficult wedge to hit - but I guess my practicing with it has worked.

I use my 60 from about 65 yds in (full swing) all the way to green side rough and bunkers (1/4 swing)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Nope, not trying to argue, I was just curious about the guys saying they have a 60* but rarely if ever use it, i was just curious if possibly it would make sense for them to carry something else to fill a different gap that would get more use. It could be a different wedge as well. My thought is that the 60* can be difficult to use so having something else that would get more use would give them more benefit than the 60* that isn't used much. I carry 4 wedges myself, 57 is my highest loft.

all personal preference some guys carry 58 open it up etc. for me 60 is a easy club to use I wish I put it in when I started golf - my 60 has saved me many many shots

Bags

• Like 1

I have said I only carry my 56 and I own a 60 but I do not carry it all the time. The reason I do this is i wanted to teach myself how to hit my pitch, A wedge, and 56 different distances. When I was carrying the 60 I used it all the time around the green on all kinds of shots and from 60 in full height or up to 100 yards lower ball flight. I will probably put it back in the bag this coming year because I learned what I wanted to with it out. I can now hit a flop shot with my 56 or with my pitch wedge( this is fun and I can play a farther flop with it). My 56 is my go to in the sand I very rarely used my 60 out of the sand. I noticed I shoot higher scores with the 60 out of the bag because I play shots I was super confident with the 60 with my 56. I can pull off more shots and lower high spin shots(main reason I took it out) with the 56 now and I always used the 60 there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nope, not trying to argue, I was just curious about the guys saying they have a 60* but rarely if ever use it, i was just curious if possibly it would make sense for them to carry something else to fill a different gap that would get more use. It could be a different wedge as well. My thought is that the 60* can be difficult to use so having something else that would get more use would give them more benefit than the 60* that isn't used much. I carry 4 wedges myself, 57 is my highest loft.

I agree that the 60 is very hard to use and is in fact that frenzy harder to hit than driver. Of course a lot of that is because guys put little thought into their wedges beyond - I saw this in - name their favorite pros - bag. The club is misfit, doesn't have the proper technology for their game and they don't practice with it.

You have to practice with your wedges, you have to be intentional with what you carry and you need to get fit wedge to ball that you game.

I've played courses regularly where I could have had 53 as my most lofted wedge and stuck in an extra long club. On my current course that would be throwing away strokes - fast firm Greens with lots of steep run offs and gnarly Bermuda rough - you need a lofted wedge of some sort and it will be the third most used club in your bag after putter and driver.

You get 14 clubs - each should have a purpose - I like Kor a Dor's thought process - he's spot on for his game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

My thought was that for some it may be that have a gap at the top of the bag that could be filled with something that could get used more often.

My bag right now has, 2, 3 Woods, 13* for driving,, 15* for fairway and driving. 17.5 hybrid, mostly used on tee shots, but also used on par 5's, and a 19.5* hybrid, mostly used out of the fairway, very close gaps, but the distances I get with each is what I am looking for especially in the winter time, keeping the ball lower from the tee gives a ton of roll out right now. During the summer I will most likely change these gaps, but for right now in the winter these gaps are working well. On the bottom of the bag I have 45, 49, 53, 57. Most of my approaches are with 8 or less so that goves me 6 clubs to work with.

Gotcha Kor. I was just dropping in my current makeup and again, how I have my yardages covered at the top and with 5* increments at bottom (45/50/55/60) I've got all I need at the bottom ends. There's no doubt though that we agree that all the clubs in the bag should have a purpose, it's just a choice as to the player to determine what clubs fit the ends the need to succeed in their game.

• Like 3

The loft on my highest wedge has been dropping over the years. Being a Phil Mickelson fan, I was always obsessed with flop shots so my first lob wedge was a 62*. Needless to say, I cannot "flop it like Phil" and the 62 just wasn't seeing enough use. I then went to a 60* lob wedge and played that for a while, but being a very low bounce wedge (4*), I could only really use it from the fairway or tight lies.. That brought me to go for more standard bounces and my lob wedge dropped down to a 58* and is where it currently sits. I use the 58 mainly for the sand and will use the 50/54 everywhere else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Just curious. For those who have the 60* or higher lofted wedge, Many of you have said that you have it but rarely use it. I guess the question is would it be better to remove that club from the bag and replace it with something that would be used a bit more often? Maybe something to cover a big gap at the top of the bag. (An extra hybrid, or 5 wood) something like that.

That's a great question. For me I have found the"flop" to be my best close wedge. If I were to spend a good amount of time on my short game this off season, I might be more inclined to agree with you. I haven't found that intermediate club yet. So removing the 60 for a 7w, or hybrid might be the answer.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Not to digress from the main topic, but just wanted to "second" your wedge choices .. I changed out my set's PW (45°) and then go 50-54-58.

I think my PW is 46. Then the set GW is 50 and I figure a 6* gap probably isn't ideal, and I could make due with the 54/58, maybe adding a 50 CBX

• Like 1

The loft on my highest wedge has been dropping over the years. Being a Phil Mickelson fan, I was always obsessed with flop shots so my first lob wedge was a 62*. Needless to say, I cannot "flop it like Phil" and the 62 just wasn't seeing enough use. I then went to a 60* lob wedge and played that for a while, but being a very low bounce wedge (4*), I could only really use it from the fairway or tight lies.. That brought me to go for more standard bounces and my lob wedge dropped down to a 58* and is where it currently sits. I use the 58 mainly for the sand and will use the 50/54 everywhere else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This sounds like my progression  quite a bit as well. Anything above a 60 is a true hero or zero type club

• Like 1

I think my PW is 46. Then the set GW is 50 and I figure a 6* gap probably isn't ideal, and I could make due with the 54/58, maybe adding a 50 CBX

If it makes you feel any better, I go from a 50* GW to a 56.10* and I'm perfectly happy with that because...my (very) old set was a 50* PW with a 55* SW and I was happy with that for about 20 years. I use the 55-56 from greenside bunkers mostly, only rarely do I use it for a full/nearly full swing shot. If I had a 60* or higher, I'd be surprised if I hit it a half dozen times a year.

• Like 2